Introduction - Creation

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.

Re: Introduction - Creation

Unread postby kaiakai » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Creation Bean Bags
[ search youtube for " Bible Crafts: Creation Bean Bags, mcclintick02 " ]

And here are the instructions:
http://littleblots.com/BibleCraftsCreationBeanBags.html
~Kai
http://thecatinthetree.blogspot.com
Mom to Kiira (5) and Hana (2)
kaiakai

Creation book for perfectionist

Unread postby Archiver2 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:20 pm

jenmar30 wrote:We started MFW Kindergarten this past week. I have realized my daughter is a bit of a perfectionist. We are working on the creation book. If she doesn't know how to draw something, then she doesn't want to do it or even try...even to the point of tears.. I am not pushing her. I am trying to be encouraging and let her know she has to practice drawing to learn how to draw or do anything. It takes time to learn to do new things. Any ideas?

Postby alisoncooks » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:20 pm
Do you have magazines that she can do a collage from? (pictures of plants, water, land, etc). DD & I did a creation book 2 years ago and we used magazine cut-outs.

Also, have you shown her the examples in the manual? They might help give her ideas.....

Postby gratitude » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:10 pm
My d.s. used MFW K. I remember him not wanting to draw for the creation book. So I revised.

My revision was two large poster boards taped together. He glued onto his poster board each number, 1 - 7, had fun coloring the numbers, and pasted each verse below each number. We read & discussed the Genesis passages that went with the days. He didn't end up drawing, but he ended up learning a lot from the activity. My oldest & 3rd liked what they saw so much that they did the poster boards too. Then we taped all of them on the wall for 6 months or so, and the children would occasionally point to them and comment on them.

He has now started MFW1 and is really enjoying the drawing. There is a big difference between the ages of 6 & 5. I learned with my children with the Drawing book for first grade, but you should see their drawings. They draw so so much better than I ever could until that book, and they also currently draw far better than I can. LOL! You will be absolutely amazed at what MFW will do for drawing. I know I have been. My 8 year old brought out a big poster board recently and drew a very detailed Viking ship. This was the child who at 6, 1 1/4 years ago, who was drawing stick people when we found MFW.

One of the things I have learned the most as a home school mom is that when they are frustrated it is better to put it away and start fresh again the next day when every one has had a chance to think about it and is rested to try again. Sometimes even one day of processing the information as they are off doing other things will make them come back and be ready for the challenge. Sometimes it takes longer than a day for them to be ready. In the end they learn a lot.

Postby Smoakhouse » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:53 pm
I have pulled the needed construction paper to make the base of the picture. Light blue for sky, medium blue for ocean, green for land, white for day & black for night. I went to the teacher supply store and bought some stickers (land, sky, water animals & stars) to use on the appropriate days. Then all my son has to do is add in some details as he likes. Or if not the basics are there and he LOVES to glue.

Postby Julie in MN » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:29 pm
Ideas from 1st but they apply to alternatives to drawing: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2299

Postby carissa » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:40 pm
Yep, we did stickers and construction paper, glitter glue, etc. for our creation book two years ago. My perfectionist is finally enjoying coloring and simple drawing now that he turned 7. The beauty of homeschooling is that we can adjust things, provide a little time, a little training, a little muscle development, and it ends up working out just fine! (((Hugs)))

Postby jasntas » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:08 pm
I remember doing the construction paper, stickers, cotton for clouds, etc. with my dd as well. It sounds like you're past this but I also used a star shaped punch for the stars. My dd would occasionally draw something in but she didn't feel like she had to. She loved this project.

We also used stickers, stencils and such for the K math page that called for drawing.

A couple of easy learn to draw books that are good for this age. They are Usborne books called 'I Can Draw Animals' and 'I Can Draw People'. I'm not good at drawing myself and my kids love these books. They were not required but I would sometimes put them in book basket with a sticky tab on the page of an animal or character that would line up with what we were learning. They were also free to use these books just for fun if they desired.

Postby MuzzaBunny » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:11 pm
My little one can also get frustrated if she wants to draw, say, a tiger, but doesn't know how. I like to draw, so when she gets frustrated, I grab the white board and draw a simple animal. The tiger was an oval with 4 sticks (legs) and a circle on one end of the oval. Then tail, ears, ears, and "stripes". She could copy it and was pleased that she learned to do it herself. Now the horse... lol, dd is a horse lover. I made a simple horse which she informed me was not a proper horse. She then drew an incredible horse of her own. ;) Little people are so great.

Postby Dusenkids » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:42 pm
We did a twist on the creation book using our digital camera. Instead of drawing, we did a nature walk each day and took pictures of that day. I didn't develop them, just used my home printer but used those to make the books with. I only got 1 pic (stars) off of the web. That might work for this project.

Thinking down the road (math and phonics pages) tracing, stamps, stickers, glueing beads, buttons, pieces of yarn, noodles....you can get away with not drawing much. Oooo...somewhere I found directions for make your own stickers using geletin..... Preschool workbox section, Homemade stickers. Haven't tried it yet but planning on it soon!
http://www.homeschoolshare.com/workbox.php

When my ds wants to draw something that is "too hard" sometimes I will draw the outline and he fills in the details. I have also gotten some of the step by step drawing books from the library for him to practice with in his free time.

Would it help to look at different kinds of art and see that not everything is realistic. That art can be close? I'm thinking of a nick "ad" where moose is showing a painting of a guitar. Draw it silly and it may be famous someday :~

Postby jenmar30 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:21 am
Thank you everyone for your encouragement and ideas! I am so glad MFW has this message board for ideas and support! I also tried drawing some of the things for her and ask her to color them.. She said my drawings didn't look right. LOL! I think Im going to find some stickers or pictures to glue.. We have to go back and do day 3 that we didn't finish, Day 5 picture and finish up day 6 and 7 this week. I feel so blessed to be able to homeschool my children.. Thanks again guys!

Postby asheslawson » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:35 pm
I collect art books that I pick up on deep discounts @ bookstores or yard sales or even browse art online. I have shown my children different pictures of art from varying artists and styles (gotta show them some picasso of course)!! I encourage them to do what works for them by pointing out that there are many different styles of drawing, even stick figuring! This helped them to relax a bit and take a few liberties with their own drawings. We are just starting Drawing with Children this year with my dd, so I'm eager to see if we all improve a bit!
Archiver2

Day 1 light demo

Unread postby Clj » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:06 am

For day 1 i looked up a light demo from the "original backyard scientist" book...basically take a large metal baking pan full of water into a sunny backyward. Place a hand mirror into the water and adjust it so it catches the suns rays.
Hold up a piece of white paper to absorb the light being refracted/reflected by the submerged mirror. U will see part of the color spectrum on the white page--a mini rainbow. It helped the kids and i visualize that on the first day God created color along with light.
Clj

Kindergarten~Teachable moment with day 1 of Creation

Unread postby Jamie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:27 am

I have a little guy that just turned 5 in Sept. I was unsure about starting K with him this year, but decided to order the K packet and thought that we could always move at our own pace through it. Well, a couple of days ago, we dove into day 1 of creation. We had a blast!

The next morning, as we were sitting at the breakfast table, he brought up day 1 again and the whole separation thing. I was wondering if it was hard for him to understand? I had a little !? moment........

I put a bunch of dark food coloring in water, then added some oil to it, then we watched the dark water and oil separate. :) I love getting to think about/talk with others about how God separated the light from the darkness on day 1, but the sun wasn't created until day 4. Isn't that awesome?! It was so much fun! Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and His understanding no one can fathom. Isaiah 40:28 .... I'm sure others have done this "experiment," and maybe it's even listed in my teacher's manual that I haven't seen for a couple of years (I loaned it to my sister) :~ , but nonetheless it made this mama super excited to have this "teachable moment" together!
Jamie
Married to my sweetie for 16.5 years
14 ds, 12 dd, 10 dd, 7 ds, 4 ds, 1.5 dd
MFW K, ECC, CtG, RtR, Ex to 1850, & 14 yo currently in 1850 to Modern
Jamie

Unread postby sternhagbh@aol.com » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:08 pm

I used a song called "God Made it All" by Chris Dreisbach which goes over what happened on each day. It is a great song that my daughter loves to sing and dance to. The rest of the songs on his kids CD are great too. This is his webpage address http://www.chrisdriesbach.com/
sternhagbh@aol.com

supplementing MFW from A to Z - fluent reader

Unread postby cbollin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:49 pm

mkren wrote:I am very excited to start "officially" schooling my son. I was torn between the kindergarten and 1st grade curriculum because my 5-year-old can read fluently and has a good grasp of math. But I had heard great comments about the kindergarten curriculum, so that's what I purchased. I am planning to supplement in order to help him to continue to grow from the level he is at. (When I look at the Creation lesson plans, I am looking for something to replace the ABC song, teach letter names, and review letter names.) I am wondering if anyone has an example of what it looks like to supplement at this level. I really don't want to reinvent the wheel. :) I appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you.

Welcome along!

For those steps in Creation Unit, here are my ideas on this thread
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=51&start=25#p51585

and in general for phonics to become little things in language arts, spelling, more handwriting, and copywork... here are some ideas I've suggested
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7179#p47744

and scroll on those links for some ideas too.

If you have the 2nd edition Kindy manual, there are a few pages (around p. 197) in the appendix with general ideas for what to do with a 5 y.o who is already reading to expand on more ideas for some of those phonics worksheet lessons.

-crystal
cbollin

Re: supplementing MFW from A to Z

Unread postby Julie in MN » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:22 pm

I've been using the Creation unit with my grandson this month and here are some of the things we've been doing. He is going to be 6 in November and he will likely go to public school, so I don't have the pressure to train him in as many areas as most. He does know his letters and numbers already, but he has adored learning how God created the world, and MFW-K is perfectly suited for this stage of his emerging faith.

1. We do the Bible story and notebook pretty much as written, except he uses a lot of stickers and very little drawing, sometimes asking me to sketch out a basic picture similar to the sample in the manual, and he adds the stickers. And we glue two numerals to a page of cardstock rather than making a wall poster. Instead of coloring, we try different glues from rubber cement with a brush to gluesticks.

2. We do the songs and enjoy them. I have children's CDs that we can sing along with. For the ABC song, we've played with different endings to the song that we've heard ("tell me what you think of me," "next time won't you sing with me," "won't you sing along with me," "come on now and sing with me," "mother will be pleased with me," "oh how happy I will be," "now I never will forget, how to sing the alphabet" - maybe we'll start making up new ones, too - he likes surprises).

We've also worked on the L-M-N and O-P-Q part, pointing to the alphabet card to distinguish those from "elemeno." He actually corrected me at first, or at least got confused (both by the LMN-pause and by the different endings). But I feel it's all part of learning that the song isn't a mindless recitation, but is a set of letters in a certain order, and the ending is the only part that's "lyrics." Pointing to the letters as we sing seems to make a connection for him that he wasn't making on his own.

Then the My Father's World song goes nicely with the creation study, and the B-I-B-L-E song goes nicely with letter practice. My grandson likes to laugh at himself and sing the song the way he "used to" think it went (BIBLB), until we pointed to the letters in the manual and learned the "right" way.

3. Instead of practicing the numbers 1-7, we do a lot of counting. We count how many matches he gets in the letter games, we count how many pennies he gets in the alphabet chart games, and how many cards he gets in the illustrated card games. I think it's good reinforcement that all of this counting is actually going with "objects" (pennies, cards), so he can "see" the difference between 24 and 2 or whatever, rather than just "reciting" numbers in order. When he wins a lot of cards, he's tried putting them in 2 rows instead of 1 long row, and he practices counting by twos and grouping numbers.

4. We play with each of the MFW-K letter materials, but we adapt the games to focus on some of the skills that are hardest for him. Also, I'm one who especially values working a LOT with the alphabet "in order" -- to prepare for alphabetization later on (my youngest son taught himself to read at an early age and never got to work with the alphabet in order, so alphabetization is still a challenge for him because he just doesn't know "in his core" where each letter is in the alphabet).

a. Alpha chart - I have a baggie of 26 pennies. We play different games that we make up using the chart, until all the pennies are gone. He's starting to remember that there are 26 letters because he knows there are 26 pennies.

When I ask him to "find the W" on the letter chart, he isn't trying to figure out what a W is, but instead is reinforcing that W is near the "end" of the alphabet -- alphabetical order again, but in a different way. I've seen him improve during this unit, so that A and Z are "obvious" and several others are "quickly found" now.

He likes to ask me to find the letters, too. Since I have such an easy time of it, he invented a game where he covers up sections of letters with his hands and I have to point to where I think the letter is. Of course, I miss lots of them this way, which makes him happy LOL. But meanwhile, he's reinforcing alphabetical order as he checks my answer and shows me if I'm wrong.

b. Little blue Alpha cards - mostly we use these for a matching game, matching upper and lower case letters. My grandson knows "b" and he knows "B" but surprisingly, he doesn't automatically connect the two together in his brain. So those extra connections are being made. At first, I just put out about half the pairs, and only one of the hard pairs (B, D, P, Q). Gradually I added more pairs as he took away cards he'd matched, so his eyes weren't swimming with letters. But now he asks for me to put out all 52 cards at once. Also, I see his skills of observation improving, and it's no longer a sea of lines, but he's seeing them more as letters now, and noticing the details.

c. Large picture Alpha cards - there are some extra ideas on one of the cards for additional games. My grandson likes the one where you put out 5 cards and close your eyes while one is turned over, then try to remember it. He likes to shout the name of each card really loud beforehand in order to commit them to memory. He likes to run and put his "winning" cards in a long row in the other room, and surprise me at the end (I get to keep the cards that he misses, which are usually very few, and I make a big deal about being sad with only 1 card or whatever, and that takes away his own sadness about any he missed).

He likes me to guess, too, especially if he's tired of doing it. He adapts rules so I won't win all the time. Meanwhile, he's working with the letters and building memory skills.

Well, those are the kinds of silliness that go on at our house :)
Julie
mkren wrote:Thank you for your ideas!
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane now
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (18) hs 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014); always used MFW
Alexandra (27) hs from 10th grade (2002); mother
Travis (30) never hs; engineer in CO
Julie in MN

Suggestions for books to read during the Creation weeks

Unread postby Erna » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:54 pm

kewkew34 wrote:Good morning.
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of books that I might find (hopefully in the library) that would be good for the Creation weeks for Kindergarten. I looked through the K ideas archives and found 3 books listed. The Alice in Bibleland book our church has and I think I can borrow it. But the other two I couldn't find at the library. So, I was wondering if anyone had some specific book titles I could search for. We are planning on starting next Monday.
Thank you

I don't have specific titles but recall gathering all of our children's Bible story books and reading of the creation account listed in them.
Erna

Re: Suggestions for books to read during the Creation weeks

Unread postby dschurma » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:47 am

I asked this question on another board, and "God Made It For You" was the most highly recommended book. We are buying a used copy from an online bookstore.
Dawn
wife to Keith
Mama to Alex (12/2007) Max (8/2009) and Jensyn (4/2011)
Visit our family's blog: http://mamasmonkeys.blogspot.com
dschurma

Unread postby lea_lpz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:56 am

I ended up adding a bit to the intro unit because I wanted it to have full day fill to it. I didn't change the intro. to letters or numbers or discussing creation, but we did add in a free lapbook on creation, read alouds, and made the creation book a little fancier! We also did some fun snacks to correspond with the day of creation. Here's my book list and dvd's we watched during that week, all of which we got at the library:

1) Let the Whole Earth Sing Praise by Tomie DePaulo
2) God and his Creations by Marica Williams
3) The Story of Creation by Jane Ray
4) The Seven Days of Creation by Leonard Everett Fisher

We also watched The Creation as told by Amy Grant and The Garden of Eden (Hereo's of the Bible) on dvd. Days 8-10, we worked on the story of Adam and Eve, I had some books for that, too. But, didn't write them down. I was able to find alot of books at my library from just using the search terms creation and then filtering it by religion, audience, etc.

Hope that helps and you have a lot of fun! We enjoyed the Intro. unit a lot!

HeyChelle wrote:Where did you find these DVD's? Are they on Amazon or another site? Thanks!

I got them through the library. If you use the inter-library loan system (nation wide) you can get a book or dvd if your library system (county) doesn't have it. They charge like $2 for a service fee per item. I've been able to find almost anything like this! Including those rare BFIAR row books that are an arm and leg on e-bay / amazon.
dd: 6, MFW 1st (used mfw k last year)
ds: 4, MFW preschool, R & S A-I Series, tagging along with mfw 1st
lea_lpz

Unread postby buckster » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:04 pm

http://renegadehomeschooler.wordpress.com/2012/08/10/my-fathers-world-kindergarten/

I created a pdf of web resources from all the posts on the K board. I hope I got them all. Just wanted to let you know this was available! I will be updating this as necessary and I'm also working on an optional book list from the posts on these boards as well. Thank you wonderful moms for all your great ideas! I'm hoping this list will help others who are new to MFW!
2012-2013 Using MFW K and 1st Grade, 1850 to Modern Times
Grades K/1st, 5th, and 8th.
http://renegadehomeschooler.wordpress.com
buckster

Unread postby kewkew34 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:20 am

lea_lpz wrote:I ended up adding a bit to the intro unit because I wanted it to have full day fill to it. I didn't change the intro. to letters or numbers or discussing creation, but we did add in a free lapbook on creation, read alouds, and made the creation book a little fancier! We also did some fun snacks to correspond with the day of creation. Here's my book list and dvd's we watched during that week, all of which we got at the library:

1) Let the Whole Earth Sing Praise by Tomie DePaulo
2) God and his Creations by Marica Williams
3) The Story of Creation by Jane Ray
4) The Seven Days of Creation by Leonard Everett Fisher

Thank you so much, these books were all in our library system's Interlibrary Loan system and I have them on hold. One of them is actually in our library so I can pick it up early this coming week.

We also will be doing a lapbook. I did one a couple of years ago with the girls and I think it will be interesting to see the advancements and changes.

I am planning special Muffin Tin lunches for each day of creation. Usually we do Muffin Tin Mondays, but for the next two weeks we will have a special muffin tin for each day of creation. Though I am a bit stumped on what to do for Day 2. Maybe it will just be a snack tin. Marshmallows, air popped popcorn and water. Any other suggestions for food for day 2 would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the responses.
Karen-Wife to Harold for 7 yrs
Mom to
Steven-21 grad of PS, Floyd-19 working on GED, Krystal-16 lives with her dad and in PS
Tabitha-6 started K Aug 2012
Amelia-4 1/2 tagging along in K
Hannah-3 Pre K and Letter of the Week
Harold III- 1
kewkew34

Unread postby lea_lpz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:36 am

Glad you were able to find them :).

For day 2, we added some blue food color to cream cheese and spread it over a graham cracker and added mini marshmallows for clouds for clouds and sky. I am not familiar with muffin tin lunches so wouldn't have any suggestions for you, but hope your week goes well. I remember our coolest snack was dirt cups on day 4 with chocolate pudding, crushed Oreos and gummy worms.
dd: 6, MFW 1st (used mfw k last year)
ds: 4, MFW preschool, R & S A-I Series, tagging along with mfw 1st
lea_lpz

Unread postby SarahR » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:47 pm

I found a really good version of the hymn This is My Father's World that you are supposed to teach your kids during the first days of the Creation Unit.
The Alli Rogers version has lots of kid-friendly pictures to go with the lyrics and it is a beautiful arrangement. The lyrics are written out on each slide to help parents out when they sing it with their children. My daughter(5) and son(2) have really enjoyed watching the video and singing the song several times a day. We are working on motions too to help with the words. Hope you enjoy this video too!

Search YouTube for "Alli Rogers - This Is My Father's World"
SarahR

Unread postby kewkew34 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:25 pm

We participate in a blog linky called Muffin Tin Monday. The girls love having a Muffin Tin meal once a week. For the last couple of weeks, while we were learning about Creation, I gave the girls a Muffin Tin lunch for each day of Creation. Here is what we ate for each day.

Day 1- God created light
I split the muffin tin into two sides-light and dark
On the light side we had:
chocolate pb & fluff sandwich on white bread
white corn
potato

On the dark side we had:
buttered pumpernickel bread
raisins
chocolate milk

Day 2-God made the firmament/sky
Blue tinted vanilla yogurt representing the water above.
Marshmallow clouds
Cheese cloud, Peanut butter and fluff cloud, popcorn clouds
Aquafina flavored water and blue tinted mashed potatoes representing more water. (It was supposed to be Jello but I forgot to make it soon enough for it to set)

Day 3-God made the land
Everything in the tin represented land or plants.
Baked beans
Sunflower seeds
Strawberries
Carrots and some broccoli trees
Salad
Dirt Pudding (the girls had fun making this as a part of Kids and a Mom in the Kitchen).
Oh, and some ranch dressing in the middle.

Day 4- God made the lights in the sky
Center:
Pineapple sun

Top:
Chicken patty sandwich cut out into a star
Vanilla yogurt with star and moon sprinkles
Moon phases potatoes

Bottom:
Water
Salad
Marshmallow clouds

Day 5- God made the fish and birds
A bird (I started out planning to make a chick, but it wasn't going to work. It was made with a hard boiled egg, grape, carrot sliver beak, frosting eyes, and potato chip wings (held on with hummus))
Chicken in a Biscuit Crackers
Octo-Dog
Jello with a shark fin banana
Jello with a fish
Goldfish Crackers

Day 6- God made land animals
Monkey Nut-ritious Peanut Butter Sandwich playing in the bananas
Elephant peanut butter and apple butter sandwich
Dinosaur Chicken nuggets
Pig shaped ham wallowing in a Nutella mud hole
Cow shaped cheese standing in the pasture of sprouts
Hippo Shaped Watermelon in the Jello lake

Here is the link to my blog posts if you would like to see the pictures so they make more sense.
http://totsandme.blogspot.com/search/label/muffin%20tin%20religious%20theme
Karen-Wife to Harold for 7 yrs
Mom to
Steven-21 grad of PS, Floyd-19 working on GED, Krystal-16 lives with her dad and in PS
Tabitha-6 started K Aug 2012
Amelia-4 1/2 tagging along in K
Hannah-3 Pre K and Letter of the Week
Harold III- 1
kewkew34

Unread postby bluemountainmama » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:04 pm

My daughter is very interested in cake decorating so I'm trying to incorporate it into her year. For the second day of creation we made cupcakes and decorated them. We covered the cupcake with light blue frosting, piped blue/green frosting with a ribbon tip and then used a star tip to pipe white clouds. She used the extra frosting to practice "writing" letters.
bluemountainmama

Creation Question - light on the 1st day

Unread postby Archiver2 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:06 pm

bluemountainmama wrote:Okay, I feel a little silly asking this, but I didn't know how to answer my daughter. If the sun wasn't created until the 4th day, what was the light on the first day? God?

Postby bethinga » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:27 pm
Some say it was energy.

Postby cbollin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:06 pm
You shouldn't feel silly for asking at all. It is a great question and tell your daughter this question has puzzled lots of people. Excellent observation skills she has.
If it were my child asking the question (and she made an awesome observation by the way), I would not say the light was God, only because God created the light.. so it's something else. I'm not ready to say that is what you should tell your child.. it's just what I'd say to my children.

I'd like to quote directly from a book sold in MFW's high school program, The New Answers Book. It gives one possible answer to this question what was this light in days 1, 2 and 3 if the sun wasn't there until day 4? here's the quote: "We are not told (in scripture)." :)

This book continues that whatever the light was it helped to establish rotation point for day and night/evening/morning before the sun did. But we are not told in scripture what it was. God didn't say. and I don't know why He didn't. Other people do not agree with that point, but some do. some don't.

A side note if she asks (but only if she asks)... in Rev. 21:23 we are told that someday the "The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp." but that's not necessarily the answer to what was the light for days 1-3. just one of those other things out there......

We don't know directly from scripture what it was.

She had a great question and observation!

-crystal
Archiver2

Unread postby Julie in MN » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:54 pm

For my grandson, I got a card game from CBD that's called Creation Memory Match. You can play Memory or Go Fish by making matches. The cards are based on the 7 days of creation. My grandson LOVES these, and calls the game "God Fish."

Disclaimer: Unfortunately, they separate out the days of creation out into more than 7 sets - I guess they wanted to come up with 13 different matches. For instance, instead of "day 6," there are separate cards for land animals, man/Adam, and woman/Eve. Also, on the insect card - I'm not sure land & flying insects were created on the same day?

But as a recently-turned-6-year-old, my grandson knows which cards are "in the beginning" and which are "the 7th day," and he knows there are groupings in between. He loves it!
Julie in MN

Making Creation Unit (MFW-K) More Engaging?

Unread postby CaseyVG » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:22 am

cneiger wrote:My daughter, about to turn 5, and I just started MFW K. She already knows all her alphabets and their sounds, and I'm finding this highly motivated child suddenly unmotivated at the start of this curriculum. I'm sure once we get to the letter units she'll love it, but any suggestions for making the first 10 days more fun. She says she loves it, but her face and attitude during her "work" time say anything but that! She'll draw all day, but is resistant to the structure of making the creation book, too. I'm trying to add games and fun activities to review her alphabets, but I'd be up for some more ideas from those of you who may have been there before. Thanks!

Lizzy

I actually cut the creation unit to 7 days when we did it. I thought 3 extra days of review were a little too much for where mine were at.

Here's one letter review game we did that they loved: We went outside and I spread half of the letter cards, either upper or lower case, at the end of the driveway. Then I sat on the other end with the other half of the stack. I gave them each a card and they had to run to the end of the driveway and find the matching letter, then run back to me. Then I gave them the next letter. (My 3 year old did it with us, and the 5 year old helped her find the right letter.) I hope you get more ideas.
Casey

Caleb: ECC (finished MFW Adventures, 1st & K)
Rebekah: 1st (finished K)
Joshua: 2 year old
Matthew: baby
I blogged MFW K, 1st & Adventures at http://www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com
CaseyVG

Re: Making Creation Unit (MFW-K) More Engaging?

Unread postby Mom2theteam » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:11 am

We cut ours short also. We just had fun learning about creation and coloring the numbers and making the creation book. Unfortunately, my kids didn't love the creation unit either with the review of letters. They enjoyed learning about creation to day 7 though. They all enjoyed the rest of it. We love MFW K. :-)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, 8 and under
Zack, 8 MFW Adv
Samantha & Blake, twins, 6, MFW K
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 4
Nicholas 1 year
Mom2theteam

Unread postby cneiger » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks for the helpful feedback! Also, good to know my child isn't the only one who struggled with this unit and great to hear that those same families ended up loving the program. Thanks for the driveway game idea!
Lizzy

Mom to 2
Naomi: MFW K
Ezra: Tot School
cneiger

Unread postby Julie in MN » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:58 pm

My grandson adored making the creation book, and even made a second one. Although, he used stickers sometimes and had me make the outline sometimes (he liked the sample in the teacher guide and wanted me to recreate it sometimes). We adapted any activities that were very easy (love that outdoor idea from Casey).

Here are a few more ideas:
Creation unit viewtopic.php?f=10&t=51
Bible notebook creative ideas (for 1st, but some would apply here) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2299

Julie
Julie in MN

Unread postby kw4blessings » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:47 pm

Oh, I love the driveway game idea. My boys will love that! We start K next week. We're planning to do the snack idea for each day of creation that I saw in the archives (oreos and milk for dark/light, etc). I think it's included in the link Julie put up there. :) Can't wait to have fun in K!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 8, busy boys 6, 4, 1
Finished K, 1st and Adventures.
2014-15 1st again!
kw4blessings

Unread postby cneiger » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:22 am

The snack ideas have by far been the biggest hit for my kids. They acted like I was the most amazing mom because they got these special snacks so thank you to the amazing mastermind behind those! They have been a high note in our mornings this week!
Lizzy

Mom to 2
Naomi: MFW K
Ezra: Tot School
cneiger

Unread postby strongfoundations » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:26 pm

We made a Creation Wheel
http://chocolateonmycranium.blogspot.co ... j5VAsakorh

I also really liked the post someone had about making an aquarium for fish so I did something similar:
Day 1: God separated the dark from the light (Put up aquarium and turn on the light)
Day 2: God separated the oceans from the skies (Added water)
Day 3: God made land rise from the oceans (Added the basking rock)
Day 4: God made the sun, moon and stars (my daughter made a backdrop of a giant sun with trees and flowers to tape to the back of the aquarium)
Day 5: God make the birds and fish (We planned to make a little paper bird to hang)
Day 6: God made animals and Adam (humans) to take care of them (SURPRISE! TURTLES!!)
Day 7: God saw that it was good and rested (We sit back and say Thanks God!)
I plan to use our turtles now for the turtles week (we don't go in order) and dinosaurs!
strongfoundations

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas - Kindergarten