Story of the World (SOTW) extras

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"

Story of the World (SOTW) extras

Unread postby cbollin » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:44 pm

LSH in MS wrote:We will be using RTR in the fall and I was wondering if the Hazells planned their own activities to do with SOTW or do you just read it?

If only readings are scheduled has anyone used the AG that SWB writes to go with it? What about the CDs? I have an auditory learner (my oldest) and a kinesthetic learner (2nd oldest). We used the CDs for SOTW 1 in CTG and they all loved them. They would listen to them for hours ( even while I was asleep) and remembered what they heard. Talk about schooling while you sleep, isn't that great?:)

The Hazells have put together such a complete curriculum, I know they probably aren't necessary, but My kids LOVE History. I just wanted to know if anyone used the AG and\or CDs and found them useful. TIA for your responses.

Lori,

The Hazells came up with their own activities (similar to CtG).

SOTW is used in RtR starting around week 10 or 11 near the end of the Roman Empire. It is used with Streams of Civilization as history readings.

crystal
cbollin

Unread postby MJP » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:43 am

I am doing Rome to Reformation next year, and I bought the CDs. My kids love to listen to them. We can listen during lunch, and I can actually eat instead of reading! After we finish each CD they will be allowed at bedtime. What more could you want than children begging for school at bedtime! I figured I couldn't go wrong--of course, they were more expensive than the book. (Smile)
Melissa
Wife of 1 for 18 yrs. Mom of 7--ages 1-15--1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th and 9th grades & (one on the way)
Psalm 16:8
Currently using--1850 to Modern Times
Previously--MFW K , 1st, CtoG, RTR, Exp. to 1850
MJP

SOTW CDs

Unread postby HSmommi2mine » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:41 am

lyntley wrote:sorry if this question has already been asked, but i was wondering if anyone has used the audio Cds for Story Of the World Vol.II in RtR and if so was it easy to use. The kiddos get so tired of hearing me read and they do enjoy audio stories. I'm thinking I could break it up a bit with the readings this way.

I have used SOTW 3, same idea. What I found is that when I read I stop and ask questions and keep them engaged. The audio didn't engage my son very well because he doesn't retain much that he hears. It is good for dd and J who are both major audio learners but when the CD is on I tend not to ask as many questions.

In our house the CD is better for review and the occasionally time when I am busy and need a break.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids
HSmommi2mine

Re: SOTW CDs

Unread postby Julie in MN » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:56 am

I agree with Christina that it depends on the learner.

The audios are great for my youngest, because he's a great auditory learner. So we love them here :) Of course, he'd be learning by listening if I were reading the book, too, but as Christina said, we'd be slowing down & stopping more often, while the audio keeps chugging along. For me, I retain very little by listening, so it always helps if I "read along" in the book as I'm listening.

I keep the CD player right next to me, so I can pause it whenever I want to discuss something. I've also been pausing more often in SOTW #4, as ds fills in his outlines. On occasion we play the whole thing twice (especially if ds got into playing with the cat or was otherwise not listening!). I've also asked ds to "take notes" on occasion, to keep more things straight in his mind.

It's an extra expense, but I'm usually able to sell the previous one to help pay for the next one.

By the way, you'll also want the book just for the maps & such that you can't see on the audio, as well as for the child to review when writing a notebook page.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane now
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (18) hs 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014); always used MFW
Alexandra (27) hs from 10th grade (2002); mother
Travis (30) never hs; engineer in CO
Julie in MN

Unread postby mom2boys » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:28 am

We love the CDs here!

Julie in MN wrote:I've also been pausing more often in SOTW #4, as ds fills in his outlines.

Thanks for the tip, Julie. We will be doing #4 this year.
~Charlotte
loving my Hubby and 3 sons 16, 13, 7
Used MFW since 2004
mom2boys

Unread postby Jenn in NC » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:59 am

We love the audio's too. Jim Weiss does an absolutely outstanding job. I think they are worth every penny, and Julie's experience has been similar to mine -- the resale value is high if you take care of the cd's.

I have my struggling/early readers follow along in the book as the cd plays.

hth --
Jenn
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850
Jenn in NC

Unread postby pfamilygal » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:24 pm

My oldest loves history, so we listen to them in the car for fun. We did #1 last year and are half way through with #2. I'm sure this year I'll have to get #3 and #4 as well. They love the stories.

Jim Weiss's voice, on the other hand, makes my skin crawl. I don't know why.
pfamilygal

Unread postby Jenn in NC » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:52 pm

pfamilygal wrote:Jim Weiss's voice, on the other hand, makes my skin crawl. I don't know why.

Oh that's funny. We're all so different! Proof that no matter how many people you consult for their opinion on these things, you'll never really know till you try it for yourself, I guess. ;)
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850
Jenn in NC

Do you add in the SOTW Activity guide/tests for older ki

Unread postby Julie in MN » Fri May 13, 2011 10:42 pm

mothergooseofthree wrote:My oldest will be going into 6th when we start RtR. Does anyone add in the activity guide (not all, but selectively) or the test? Or, is there plenty without it?

My son did RTR in 5th and 1st half of 6th. We were fine with just the student sheets and notebooking already scheduled. Well, maybe we did extra notebooking -- that tended to be my thing.

But if you do try the AG, I'd mention a couple of things to look at:
- The SOTW-1 AG has a lot of coloring pages, while the SOTW-4 AG has few or no coloring pages. So in other words, the guides differ, and I'd look to see if you like what's included in the SOTW-2 AG.
- Your child will be able to use the SOTW-4 AG when he gets to 1850MOD. That is a lengthy guide, with MANY timeline pieces, MANY outlining pages, etc. I wouldn't want to burn out the kids before they get there. I like how MFW schedules different things each year so there is a new & different feel. I'd want to preserve a bit of the freshness when you're trying something new in 1850MOD. So I'd want to compare how much the year 2 AG would feel like the year 4 AG.

Just a couple of thoughts,
Julie
Julie in MN

Re: Do you add in the SOTW Activity guide/tests for older ki

Unread postby mom2boys » Sat May 14, 2011 8:25 am

We are just finishing up RtR with my 6th grade son. I bought the tests to use with him. Sometimes we used them as actual tests, sometimes we used them as oral discussion questions, and sometimes we skipped them. I would say we used about 3/4 of them in some manner. We also just used narration sometimes. I liked having this resource available as an option.

Julie you will appreciate this: Sometimes I would think that there was no way my wiggly son had heard anything in the chapter (we use the SOTW cd's). I would pull out the test and ask the questions and he would give the right answer without me even giving him the multiple choice options. Gotta love our boys!

Julie in MN wrote: 8O :-)
~Charlotte
loving my Hubby and 3 sons 16, 13, 7
Used MFW since 2004
mom2boys

RTR: Story of the World 2 Activity Book & Other Resouces

Unread postby 4Truth » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:22 pm

Monica M. wrote:We are going to begin RTR and I was wondering if it would be helpful to have SOTW 2 Activity Book? Also, are there any other resources that you really enjoyed? (books, activities, websites) Thanks so much....Monica M.

When we did RTR the first time, I bought the SOTW AG but ended up not doing anything from it and sold it. Honestly, I like the notebooking pages AND the maps in the MFW student sheets a lot better. The extra resources and book titles listed in the SOTW AG didn't add much, either, because the Book Basket list in the RTR TM is quite extensive and I just didn't need anything else.

RTR is very full in and of itself -- partly because you'll do two full science courses that year, and partly because the content of that year in both Bible and history is extremely meaty. The world changed DRAMATICALLY when Rome fell and the Gospel spread "to the ends of the earth". Reading through the book of Acts, in addition to other work being done simultaneously, is somewhat time consuming, too. I'd be hesitant to add much to RTR. (And this coming from a major tweaker!)

P.S. Just wanted to mention the Ideas and Archive forums here.... Have you checked there yet? Those can be a great source of ideas, as well as motivation and encouraging when things seem to get "stuck".
Donna, homeschooling our two youngest in 10th and 6th grades, with the oldest homeschooled all the way and graduated; using MFW since 2004
4Truth

Re: RTR: Story of the World 2 Activity Book & Other Resouces

Unread postby Monica M. » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks Donna for the advice. It was very helpful!
Monica M.
Monica M.

Re: RTR: Story of the World 2 Activity Book & Other Resouces

Unread postby Julie in MN » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:35 pm

I'll second Donna.

1. Someone loaned us SOTW's Activity Book for CTG and we just didn't need it.

2. The RTR "Ideas" forum is where you'll find a lot of great helps, posted when things were fresh in folks' minds.
viewforum.php?f=27

Also, there are a few other areas on the board that might pop up with some ideas:
RTR favorite extras viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2845
RTR book ideas viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8219

Maybe more recent RTR graduates will chime in, too?

Have fun!
Julie
Julie in MN

Return to Rome to the Reformation Archive