I Can Do All Things - Supplies

I Can Do All Things - Supplies

Unread postby cbollin » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:19 pm

Elissa Baker wrote:I just bought I Can Do All Things to use this year. Anyhow my question is should I order the paints, pencils, etc. recommended by the author or are other brands okay? What other brands/kinds of paint have some of you used?
Thanks for your help to an unartistic mom!!

I bought the how great thou art supplies before I started using MFW. Then I used them a little. Switched to whatever was at Stuff Mart that day.

I wasn't willing to let them experiment with the "good quality" stuff and it didn't help us want to try the lessons. I still can't believe it, but I really did say stuff like "be careful with that. It's the good stuff. So you do your good work with it." Ok --- I'm totally hanging my head in shame. I was thinking it would motivate my child. Instead -- you guessed it. She didn't want to touch it.

went out bought Rose Art, Crayola, Prang, whatever. Said "here's the fun art supplies." Guess what? She had fun with the art lessons.

all that to say: if you buy the so-called high quality, don't make the dumb mistake I did.

unsigned (pretend you don't know it's me)
cbollin

Unread postby Kim Schroter » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:14 pm

I bought the I Can Do All Things program this year and I decided to invest in Prismacolor pencils. They were expensive, but worth it. The deep colors of the pencils make a huge difference compared with the crayola brand colored pencils. My girls are also aware that these are professional art supplies and I think they feel very special using them and it's a great time to teach them how to take care of their art/school supplies so they last a long time.

I see my girls personalities come alive in their art work and I think it's worth the money. The initial cost of more professional art supplies is a lot, but it isn't something you have to buy frequently.

Kim
Married to John 12 years
Mother to Hannah 9 , Summer 7, Ruth 3 and Charlie 4 months
Kim Schroter

Unread postby Elissa Baker » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:40 pm

Thanks for your advice, "Unknown Poster" and Kim.
What kind of paint did you use? I just want to know if other kinds of paint will work for blending the primary colors, etc or if it's definitely worth it to get the pure pigment (??whatever they're called) paints from HGTA. I should probably just order their kit for $21 dollars. It'd be worth it if they are that much better like you said. I keep thinking I have everything I need :-)
Elissa Baker

Unread postby nehschooler2three » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:33 pm

elissa,

i bought the kit for 21 dollars and purchased an extra set of colored pencils for my 6 yo as she'll want to do this with her big brother(and a xtra set of paint and marker cards too), then just bought her crayola markers. it was well worth the money! i was going to buy everything at hobby lobby but was glad it all came together in a kit and right to my door!! Anyway I think you're fine to buy the kit!

blessings

Jill
nehschooler2three

Unread postby jwood » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:21 am

I get all of my supplies from How Great Thou Art and am very pleased with the quality. I see them as the Hazell's of the Art world. Plus, I feel good giving my money to the Stebbing's because they are believers who want to bless homeschool families by letting families copy the books for all children and they have been known to send their art programs to those who can't afford it for little money. They also helped out after Hurricane Katrina destroyed one families I Can Do All Things.
The paints they have chosen are great for blending and prismacolor pencils are worth the money as far as quality is concerned. My Husband was an art major and he told me prismacolor is the only way to go =)
My opinion is to give the kids the best supplies to have success in their studies.
Jennifer
happy customer since 2002
jwood

Unread postby Elissa Baker » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:56 pm

Thank you for your responses, they've helped me in deciding to order the good supplies from HGTA.
Elissa Baker

DVDs

Unread postby tiffany » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:14 pm

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:16 am

I also have the DVD's that go with this. I think they are wonderful! I know people think they are expensive. I think there may be a discount if you already own the book. Think of the time period you'll use the book and the number of children that will use it. Think of the cost you would pay for a local art class. I also am more likely to do art lessons because I have the DVD's.

By the way the practice lessons are not included in the DVD's, but all the other lessons are done by Barry Stebbing. The kids get to see an artist do every lesson. I think that demonstration is invaluable.
tiffany

Workshops

Unread postby Brenda in PA » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:16 pm

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:36 am

If you ever have the opportunity to take one of the 3-day workshops with the Stebbings, do! We did this a few years ago when they came to our area. My older girls loved it and learned so much. It got them excited about working with the books at home.

Brenda
Brenda in PA

Art....again.

Unread postby cbollin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:15 pm

4monkeyz wrote:So I'm back with more art questions. This morning a friend of mine made the comment that acrylic paints is not such a good idea for working with young children, she certainly would not do art with a 6 yo and maybe just hold off another year before everyone dabbles in art. 8| My dh thinks there is washable acrylic?? Hm. Anyways. So moms, not being much of an art girl, I would love your thoughts! Be honest, how "bad" is the whole paint thing? Could I perhaps use a different type paint and more washable? Could I save those lessons for maybe next year?? Maybe even spread ICDAT into two years?? And do we need a set of art supplies for each child (sharing paint)? And am I unreasonable in my expectations of letting the 6 yo hang in as she is wanting?? Feel like I am in way over my head.... :~

I used washable paints at that age. didn't start acrylic until it wasn't an issue of youngest finding them or using them if I turned my back.

get washable stuff! as goofy as this might sound to some people, we use to do paint stuff with everyone in the bathroom and kitchen were the floor was easier to wipe up and rinse off quickly. sometimes even went outside.

I know.. the book says acrylic.. I didn't worry on that. well.. ok I'm not remembering when oldest was 6 and tried ICDAT... I got the paint set from How Great Thou Art at convention.. . but it became too much on me. I went with the theory for a few weeks of "teach them to respect these paints and brushes as special" and they'll work harder. but... I didnt' have somewhere easy to put them away with out it being a big deal. got washable and went back to process over product.

eventually... acrylic got in the house and is used. middle gal does a lot with them.

-crystal
cbollin

Re: Art....again.

Unread postby Mom2theteam » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:18 pm

My oldest is 6.5. I use washable stuff for the most part. Every now and again I might use something else if someone gives him a art type thing as a gift and the paint that comes with it is not washable. But, everything I buy is washable. :)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, 8 and under
Zack, 8 MFW Adv
Samantha & Blake, twins, 6, MFW K
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 4
Nicholas 1 year
Mom2theteam

Unread postby Yodergoat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:46 pm

The whole art thing doesn't have to be as serious as people (like your friend) make it out to be! I love to let very young children explore with paint! I say that if your 6 year old is interested, and you are willing, go ahead... ignore the friend. I was a 6 year old once and was very interested in painting, and I'm so glad my parents took my interest seriously because art has become a great joy in my life.

If you're just teaching about colors and mixing and such as that, the kids washable paints are great! I think Crayola makes some affordable ones that wash easily. You can mix them into just about any color you need, so you'd just need the primary colors plus black and white. There are much better options out there these days besides the cheap cake watercolors and tempera paint, and some nice kid-friendly acrylics are being made.

If you're trying to create a more professional looking finished product, then the washable ones may leave you wanting because they just don't have the texture and consistency of tube paints. But they are great for a beginner.

I did an art class at our co-op with young children, with the average age being about 6. We mostly used "craft paints," the kind that come in the little bottles. We didn't have any problem with it staining tables and such, but it could stain clothing if it wasn't seen and washed immediately. (Smocks would have prevented this, but we forgot to do the smocks.) Sometimes I mixed just a squirt of clear liquid handsoap into the paint, too, and that made it come off more easily. This was mostly for just enjoying the painting experience and not for good-quality finished products. But the kids had fun!

For what it's worth, if your child has a sincere interest in painting, a set of tube acrylics isn't that costly and if used with care they shouldn't cause much problem. Just keep the surfaces covered and have them wear a shirt that is just used for painting. My daughter has used tube acrylics since she was 5, and we haven't had any issues with it. She loved that they seemed so grown up, and treats them with great care and respect.

I am in a small minority because I used OIL paint from the time I was 6! This was under the instruction of a sweet old lady who gave lessons in her basement, and when she told me about the options I chose oils because they are so workable and I just loved the smell and feel of them. Clean-up was a real hassle, though, and I wouldn't recomment this unless the child is really quite serious about art. Great thing is, though, that I still have a couple of my very first tubes of oil paint... and I'm 34 now. They are still usable, and they were purchased 28 years ago!

My advice: get some affordable kid-friendly acrylics and a nice set of brushes... definitely not the cheapest ones... and let your daughter see how she likes painting. Teach her about color and mixing and let her explore it. If it is a real interest that she'd like to pursue, then go in a little deeper and get her some better quality paints. I can't comment about ICDAT and its appropriateness... I haven't used it.

Foam egg cartons, cut in half or even smaller sections, make great disposable paint mixing trays. Both the
hollows and the flat portions can be used, and they make a great place to lay brushes. :-)
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 5 little ones (3 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... enjoying ECC for grade three!
Yodergoat

Unread postby cbollin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Yodergoat wrote:Foam egg cartons, cut in half or even smaller sections, make great disposable paint mixing trays. Both the
hollows and the flat portions can be used, and they make a great place to lay brushes. :-)

yep.! yep! same here..

and we used old old shirts of daddy's as smocks. put them on backwards so buttons are in back. and even used clothespin to make it fit. they were old and didn't fit anymore but were still in the closet. giggle.. and big and long on the kids.

I remember finger paint days with an upright easel. we'd get large size sheets of newsprint from teacher supply store and just paint and have fun. sponge painting.... or taking sliced lemons or potatoes and dipping them in paint for designs...

sweet memories...

-crystal
cbollin

Unread postby 4monkeyz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:42 pm

Yodergoat wrote: My advice: get some affordable kid-friendly acrylics and a nice set of brushes... definitely not the cheapest ones...

Ah. Good to know. I will look for some kid-friendly paints, although come to think of it I might have Crayola in the closet. Any particular brushes I'm looking for??

Thanks ladies for all the suggestions! I knew I could trust y'all for some confidence boosting too. :-) My dh just cleared out some old button shirts, will snatch them for art. I remember art co-op classes as a child and my mom had taken my dad's old shirts, even shortened the sleeves, for art smocks. And I have used the caps from laundry detergents for water rinse cups. Love the egg carton idea! Art should be as FUN and enjoyable for them (and me) as possible. Heehee. 8[]
Andrea ~ Mother of four little monkeys (jumping on the bed!), Wife to one incredibly amazing man & a Daughter of the King.
    Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
4monkeyz

Unread postby Yodergoat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:12 pm

I think for brushes you should look for a pack of a few various sizes, from very fine round points to large round ones, from very narrow flat ones to broad flat ones. I can't think of any brands at the moment. Avoid packs that have brushes all the same length, especially those plastic ones with colored handles and black bristles that all look the same and are usually found at the dollar store... like the type offered in the cheapest watercolor paint kits... those are very hard to make a controlled line and can frustrate a child. You don't have to go all out for beginner brushes but don't go ultra cheap, get them from a craft store or at the very least from the craft section of a department store. If one goes too cheaply on these you run into brushes losing hairs or not taking the paint well. Look for crisp, uniform edges in the flat edge brushes with no stray hairs sticking out here and there, and on the round brushes look for a straight point that isn't already swayed to one side or the other. Expect to pay a dollar or more per brush for a serviceable craft department pack of several brushes. You could buy individual brushes but this can be costly at the onset, instead wait and see which ones your child prefers and then you can look into buying better versions of these.

Also, after you wash them, straighten them back to their original shape and let them dry with the hairs facing up so as not to smoosh them to conform to the bottom of the jar or whatever they're stored in. With good care, even middle-priced brushes can last a long time. I still have a few of my brushes from childhood despite them having many years of use.

Now I sort of want to paint... I haven't done it in a while as now I tend to just draw with pencil, sometimes colored pencil or do pyrography. Ah, I suddenly miss the smell and feel of the paint and the ornate green-tinted glasses of overly-sweet tea that Mrs. Hamm served with the unfamiliar round-edged ice from her ice-maker, and the sounds of her husband watching Matlock wafting softly down the stairs into the basement where we worked, and the clinking of brushes being washed in jars of paint thinner and the sound of paints being mixed on glass pallettes with mixing knives....
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 5 little ones (3 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... enjoying ECC for grade three!
Yodergoat

Return to Adventures in U.S. History