Supplies - Adventures supply list, and extras

Supplies - Adventures supply list, and extras

Unread postby cbollin » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:20 pm

Myhandsfull wrote:Hello, everyone. We will be using MFW 1 and Adventures this year (used MFW K and 1 last year, and loved it!)

I will not have the TM by Virginia's school supply tax-free weekend (this weekend). I called the office to see if I could get the supply list for Adventures, but they couldn't publish it apart from the TM. So, I told them that I was going to come onto the forum, and the gentleman on the phone did not object. :) So, here I am.

Can someone tell me the supply list for Adventures, so I can make sure I have everything I need? Every penny counts, as we all know, so I'd really like to stock up without having to pay sales tax (5% in VA).

Thanks so much for your help in advance,
Dana

Ah so that's why my mom was asking to buy my kids school supplies. It all makes sense now. (She lives in Salem)

You'll want the typical stuff:
pens
pencils
erasers
ruler
scissors
colored pencils
markers
glue
tape
paper clips
construction paper
at least two 1" 3 ring binders
notebook paper
copy paper (i.e. unlined white paper)
a 3 hole punch thingy is nice
basic art supplies if you are doing I Can Do All Things
large poster board for the names of Jesus poster (but I have no idea of the size because we did our poster on the side of the kitchen island and just used tape --- I'm not that creative to have done a poster with it)

and then there is other stuff each week that will not qualify for the tax free weekend, so there's no rush to go out and worry about it. That would be different food items and stuff like that. It will make more sense after you get the manual. It's listed out each week.

hope that helps with your planning needs.
Last edited by cbollin on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbollin

Also,

Unread postby bethben » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:33 pm

feathers (turkey feathers I found) for writing with a quill pen, non-hardening clay, paint (if you're doing I can do all things) in red, blue, yellow, and white, and paintbrushes in small, medium, and large.

Beth
bethben

Items for Unit 1?

Unread postby cbollin » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:23 am

mkpierce wrote:Because I'm so late getting started with MFW, would someone be so kind as to post on here a list of items I need for Unit 1 so I can go ahead and purchase those?
Kathleen
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/piercefamily

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:13 pm
*Some of the prep will *have* to wait until the TM gets there --any copying from the appendix, and reading through the plans and intro section.

*stuff to make sure you have: Two 1" 3 ring binders per student, a paper hole punch is needed (you might already have one with regular school supplies. I like the kind that punches all 3 at once)

*Look up the meaning of your child's name. (I used an online site for that. There's tons of them out there.)

*some kind of ingredients for a red white and blue snack

*some salt and 2 eggs might be nice for science.

That should help get the early shopping done for a quick start.

-crystal
cbollin

Book Basket?

Unread postby cbollin » Sun May 18, 2008 12:31 am

shawnswife wrote:I am wondering if it is possible to get a list of the books that are recommend for the book basket.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:46 pm
As much as we’d all like to help, the book list is part of the copyrighted part of the TM so we can’t do that. That's ok.

When you get your ADV teacher’s manual, the book basket list will be in the back part of the book and is organized by week of the program. You will find a long list of titles and descriptions of the books. Some of them will have an asterisk by the title and those are the “try not to miss this one” books. But if you don't get all of them, it will still work out.

I was just getting ready to count how many titles are listed to help enrich the history, science, and even music study in ADV. I stopped counting at 200 and was only around week 17 of the list.

The good thing about the book list for book basket is that you are not expected to get all of those books. (Whew, aren’t you glad!!!) Nor is it really needed to have the exact titles. Those books are for enrichment reading, as well as having some books for developing the love of reading. So if your library doesn’t have the exact titles or you are not able to buy or borrow the exact titles, it will work just fine.

Hope that encourages you a bit along the way.
-crystal
cbollin

School supplies

Unread postby dhudson » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:11 pm

josh'swife wrote:I am ordering MFW Adventures this week and want to be sure that I have all the necessary school supplies on hand. I'd like to take advantage of the low prices right now. Thanks!
Jackie

A map of the US and a globe (I like the plastic ball ones so I can write on it with erasable markers to mark the path of the explorers and the pilgrims across the ocean) are always helpful...
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002
dhudson

Unread postby doubleportion » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:52 pm

Check your construction paper and make sure you have brown. My HUGE pack of brand new construction paper had everything BUT brown. You will need it in the first few weeks.

If you are doing I Can Do All Things you will need colored pencils to start off with. The rest of the art supplies you can get later. There are other supplies for the first few weeks but they are more craft supplies rather than "school supplies". We make sure to have things like a metal manual pencil sharpener for colored pencils (makes better points and doesn't eat up your colored pencils so fast as the electric sharpeners.) You can get one for like a dollar at Hobby Lobby.

We also stock up on printer paper, dry erase markers (if you use a dry erase board), crayons, etc.

Page protectors are nice if you want to use them with your 3 ring binders. We needed three 3 ring binders for our dd. One for History, one for Bible & one for Art. You can always use dividers and combine some of that into one large 3 ring binder.

We did get contact paper but have yet to use it. (not sure when we will need it)

You will get a map of the US and world map with your ADV packet. But we find that a globe was also useful.

We are heading into week 6 of ADV and loving it!!
:)
Edie
doubleportion

Unread postby Amy in NC » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:23 pm

josh'swife wrote:So are 3 ring binders recommended rather than notebooks? I haven't received my TM yet so I didn't know if that was something listed there.

Notebooks are great for math, spelling, and language arts. However, a lot of the pages for history, Bible, and music are copied from the appendix in the Adventures TM. These are the things you would place in the 3-ring binders. Some people even place the pages in sheet protectors to make a keepsake type notebook for history. That is totally up to you. I'm not a page protector type of person, but maybe you are, and that's fine.

The only other thing that I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is non-hardening clay. Just basic modeling clay. I remember making several projects that year with clay. Great memories.

I thought of one more thing - poster board. You need it for the names of Jesus. Every couple weeks you add a new name to the poster.

Happy Adventuring

Amy
Married to ♥
Rob♥ for 18 yrs
dd(11.5), dd(10), dd(6), and ds(3.5)
Completed Kx2, 1st, Adv, ECC, CTG, & RTR
Amy in NC

Adventures - what extras will I need?

Unread postby erin.kate » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:51 pm

DairyQueen wrote:I haven't ordered my curriculum yet. I was going to buy it at the conference, but MFW isn't going to the convention that I'm going to. I'm hoping to order before I go, but I wanted to start a list of things I need to look for at the conference to do projects and such. Could anyone help me formulate a list?

The TM has each week's materials clearly listed ... at the start of each week's notes. Easy peasy. If you can get a hold of the TM in advance you'd be able to make your list. We are mid-way through Adv right now and there is nothing that comes to mind that you wouldn't have on hand or be able to run to the market for ... someone else might jump in who is further along than me. I hope that answers your question a bit. :-)
erin kate
erin.kate

Re: Adventures - what extras will I need?

Unread postby Joyhomeschool » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:23 pm

I cant remember what kinds of supplies you need. But I did have some extras that were fun to use in Adventures, that werent included in the TM. Like the Draw Write Now series, because my DD LOVES to draw. Someone gave me President and State flash cards and the Geopuzzle for the states. I also had already the Sonlight Intermediate and advanced readers (I think they are called something else now) that we liked a lot too. When I was at convention the last time i bought the language lessons teachers guides from the rainbow resource booth.
Vicki
Living Happily Ever After with my Prince for 15 years!
Loving HSing my *7!* Dwarves
N-13, L-11, B-9, J-7, LAM-5, S-3 and Q-2!
09/10 ADV/K
10/11 ECC/1st
11/12 CTG
12/13 RTR/K
13/14 EXP-1850/1st/K
14/15 1850-Mod/1st!!!

Joyhomeschool

Unread postby erin.kate » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:50 am

Ooooh, I second the DWN books and somewhere along the line, maybe on an Adv Yahoo board, I got spreadsheet of which pictures align with Adv by week. ;) So much good stuff out there it's crazy!
erin kate
erin.kate

Unread postby DairyQueen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:39 pm

yes! That's the sort of stuff I like to know :) My daughter would love the draw write now books :) We have a few, but haven't pulled them out in a while.

I remember when we did K we needed a butterfly habitat and ant hill. . . that kind of stuff I was wondering about too.

I'm going to try to order my curriculum before I go so I can have a list of the books too. I'd like to buy some of the book basket suggestions that are supposed to be the best in case I can't get the the library as often as I'd like with a new baby and toddler in tow :)
DairyQueen

Unread postby robertb10502 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:04 pm

We are only on week 11 of Adventures now. Started the states today. I got the States DVDs for the history channel. My kids like them so far. Only watched one but they loved it and cant wait to see the next one. Another DVD series my kids are loving is Liberty Kids. It is on Netflix instant so we didn't have to buy it. I found a couple United States puzzles (one at Walmart and one at the Dollar Store). Also got the Draw right. And the videos that go with the art. I am not the best at art and my kids love it so its nice for them to learn from someone who knows whats going on. We love extras so I buy whatever the budget will allow :)
-Samantha- wife to Robert - mom to Christian, Riley, Eli and Annie.

2012 - 2013 ECC
2011 - 2012 1st and Adventures
2010 - 2011 K and 1st
2010 - 2009 K
robertb10502

Return to Adventures in U.S. History