Bible - Can we use another version of the Bible?

Bible - Can we use another version of the Bible?

Unread postby Marie » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:27 am

Would it be easy to substitute the Beginner's bible by Zonderkids instead of using the young discover's bible?

Kids using the Adventures pilot program this year have been excited because they can read their Bible themselves. What a joy to give this opportunity to our children! You really do need the Bible included in the program. We chose this Bible because:

1. It has larger print than most.

2. It is written on a Grade 3 level (actually 2.9). Children can really read God's word for themselves!!!

3. The print is black and not green like some children's Bibles.

4. We give the page numbers of every reference so that the children can easily find the verses themselves. (They will learn in later programs to find verses by reference.)

5. When they are older, you can easily switch them to the version you prefer, but for now, think of this as a huge step up from a Bible storybook.

(We use NIV for the memory but let you subsititue any version for that but we really recommend using the Bible in the program for their reading so that kids are given the opportunity to interact with God's Work on their level.)
Marie

adventures bible

Unread postby Chicagoland Cindy » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:41 am

I can give affirmation to what Marie said about the Bible in the Adventures program. We are using it and it is a great bible. My 2nd grade dd can read it on her own. And actually, we aren't using the page # references. She is in AWANA and knows all the books of the Bible and looks them up by book, chapter and verse. It has been amazing to see her learn to do this and use the Bible herself. She loves to look up the verses. She does the reading of the scripture herself except if it is a lengthy passage, then I'll read it. This year the Bible has become very real and practical for her between the great Bible lessons in Adventures and her AWANA. She also uses this Bible to look up references when we do Bible time with Dad at night. What a blessing.

Thanks Marie for all your hard work and research in finding these great resources. We do really appreciate it.
Chicagoland Cindy

Adventure Bible

Unread postby Julie in MN » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:24 pm

I would add that we used both Bibles this year with a 3rd grader, and they are both great resources :o)

We are using an NIrV Bible for our daily Matthew readings in ECC. This is a complete Bible. The only difference between NIV and NIrV is that the sentences are shorter & some words simplified, as Marie explained. I personally recommend it for someone reading thru the Bible for the *first* time at any age -- even an adult may be more likely to accomplish this feat if they can absorb the main points their first time thru, and will get more out of in-depth study in future readings.

Sometimes ds also reads the memory verse in other versions to compare the beauty and the meaning, and he usually decides he wants to memorize the NIrV version. Being the youngest, he has a large vocabulary for 3rd grade, but still not large enough to truly absorb most adult Bibles.

Plus, we still had the Beginner's Bible around the house. At the beginning of the year, ds read thru it as his choice for a "reader" or "book basket." It didn't take him long at all, and he enjoyed the excitement and humorous illustrations of human frailties in a new way at his age.

Have fun,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane now
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (18) hs 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014); always used MFW
Alexandra (27) hs from 10th grade (2002); mother
Travis (30) never hs; engineer in CO
Julie in MN

Can we use the King James Version of the Bible?

Unread postby Guest » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:50 am

Happy2BMotherof3 wrote:I notice that the curriculum includes the NIRV bible for kids. My husband wants him to read the KJV. I was wondering in the tm how is the bible taught? What are some of the topics and scripts for the bible section? I know that there are different beliefs about the bible and I'm just curious if this is going to be a problem for us. I hope I'm making sense......

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:56 pm by cbollin
In MFW the Bible is not taught with scripts. Instead, you are given which chapters and verses to read. It is the parents' responsiblity to provide commentary and individual faith issues with that passage. From time to time, there are a few guided scripts to set up an analogy to understand a passage. Example: "Why does a body need a head" now let's read such and such passage.

You can use whatever version you like. The NIrV was chosen for its targeted age and reading level.

Also in Adventures, in the appendix, you will find some premade verses that are to accompany a year long project called the Names of Jesus poster. You will also find blank versions of those same pictures for the poster so that you can fill them in using your own preferred Bible translation. This part will make more sense when you see the teacher's manual.

The primary focus on the Bible study in Adventures is learning the names of Jesus (light of the world, bread of life, Kings of Kings, etc..)
--crystal

Re: Can we use the King James Version of the Bible?

Unread postby hsmom2five » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:16 am

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:53 pm
We also use only the KJV at our house, and it hasn't been a problem. They don't print out all the verses in the TM... they most often just give the references to read and they give some very good illustrations and examples of things to say to help teach the truth of the Scripture to the children. The only thing that I have seen (we are only on week 5) is that they print the memory verses from the NIV; that is easy. I simply open the Bible and we memorize the verses from the Source. We are using the references and memory verses they suggest, we just read and memorize them from the KJV. It really hasn't been a problem.

By the way, with the names of Jesus poster, I didn't write in the entire verse on the blank picture....there wasn't enough room. I just wrote the name (for ex: Jesus The Light of the World) and put the Scripture reference with it.

I think you will appreciate the flexibility of the whole program. I know I do! :) Have fun!
Kim
Homeschooling mom to five
hsmom2five

Re: Can we use the King James Version of the Bible?

Unread postby Lucy » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:45 pm

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:07 pm
I really think any bible will work. If you choose a different one you just have to help them look up the verses (which is good practice anyway) since the pages numbers will not match given in the TM. Depending on the child that is a great skill to teach anyway!

Lucy
Lucy

MFW and King James Version?

Unread postby Gail » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:55 pm

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:04 am

We use only KJV too. It's been no problem. Included in the appendix are blank reproducibles for that week's memory verse so you can fill in your version. For any Bible reading that refers to the NIrV we just use our KJV.
Gail

It's the Bible for a beginning readet

Unread postby Julie in MN » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:32 pm

4Truth wrote:Adventurers is not a picture Bible, though there are some pictures in it. It's the Bible written in simpler language for a beginning reader.

Just agreeing with this. The Discoverer's Bible in the Adventures program is a COMPLETE Bible. It is a NIrV translation, which is based on the NIV translation but created for early readers of English (young people or folks new to English). It is a full translation but uses shorter words and shorter sentences. My son suspects that the Discoverer's Bible has MORE words in it than a regular Bible, because of breaking it into shorter sentences, and so he often chooses to use the NIV for copywork even after reading the verses in the NIrV :o)

I am a fan of the NIrV. I know too many people with beautiful copies of the Bible who have never read them -- intimidated by not being sure they can understand it all. NIrV is simple to understand. After that, a regular translation is great for digging into those detailed meanings.

JMHO, Julie
Julie in MN

Bible in Adventures

Unread postby gratitude » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:07 pm

cjgrubbs wrote:My son has an Adventure Bible that he really likes. Can we use this for Adventures or should I purchase the Discoverer's Bible also?

My son had Bible in Adventures too when he did ADV. As far as I know they are both the NIrV, so should be the same.

The one thing that will be different is Marie gives pages in the TM that don't match the Adventures Bible. She also lists the verses though so I looked up the passages by the verses instead of by page numbers, which was fine.
gratitude

Return to Adventures in U.S. History