AHL Discussions - Bible

AHL Discussions - Bible

Unread postby LSH in MS » Sat May 17, 2008 9:42 pm

hollyjay wrote:...those of you who have used the Daniel study, how many lessons/weeks is it?

I believe it is 11 weeks.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years
LSH in MS

Daniel Teen Inductive Study

Unread postby Bret Welshymer » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:54 pm

LSH in MS wrote:Is the inductive course a Precept course or something else? Just curious. I've done a number of Precept studies and the nice thing about it is that it is inductive. You observe the text itself and let Scripture interpret Scripture which is great!

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:39 pm

This study of Daniel is the older Precept version that covers the entire book. The focus of the study is on the fulfillment of prophecy in the Old Testament. It fits in very nicely with what all that has been studied while reading through the entire Old Testament during the year. It touches on end times prophecy toward the end. Marie then responds in the teaching notes by talking about various other positions related to end times. As always, MFW does not want to interpret scripture for families. MFW wants to consistently present God's Word and allow families to interpret scripture together. My 10th grade son's take away was, "Dad, it's amazing all the prophecy in the Old Testament that really happened." Ancient History and Literature had a profound impact on my son by helping him to understand and own a biblical world view.
Bret Welshymer

Daniel Precepts study for parents

Unread postby Lucy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:55 pm

momrandles wrote:Here are a couple links for the Daniel Precepts study for anyone nearing the HS years.

Download study guide: http://www.precept.org/site/PageServer? ... idearchive

Audio lessons by Kay Arthur that coincide : http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/Prec ... .asp?cp=10

Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:07 pm

This looks like it would be great to go through as your son or daughter is going through the same study. Something I wished I had done is to do the same study that my daughter was doing with her. I have been doing the O.T. readings and wished I had done this study.

I am not sure momrandles if you were thinking this was the study in high school or if you were just giving a suggestion for something to do along with your high schooler. Just wanted to clarify that this is not the same one that is done by the teens. It is a Precept study for teens.

Thanks for sharing. I am glad to know of the resource and even though my daughter is pretty far along I think I may call tomorrow and do the study she has done. Thanks for your post the the spirit has used to prompt me to follow through on a thought I had some time back.

Lucy
Lucy

OT Challenge

Unread postby MJ in IL » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:34 am

amylynn12 wrote:We are really enjoying the High School Program this year. :) It has been fun discussing the questions in the Old Testament Challenge with our daughter.
I was just curious how to know if we are answering the questions correctly?
We are only on week #3 and just had a couple questions we weren't sure about in Job.

Thanks for any help.
Blessings!
Amy in Oregon

I had a few that I wasn't sure of and I just looked up online the verse and see what I could find. It helped me organize my thoughts. Be careful though! My first search came up with some pretty wild (and I am sure what God did not intend) ideas!

We also have a study Bible that has been helpful.
Molly
dd14 enjoying AHL; ds12 & ds10 in RtR & dd5 working through K!
have done K (2X), 1 (2X), ECC, CtG, & 1850MT
MJ in IL

Unread postby Lucy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:38 am

Dear Amy,

I used this last year with my daughter. We did not always know all the answers either. I think it is good to help our kids know that as we read the bible and as we do studies we will not always understand or know the answers. It took me into my adult life to get this. I have been in church or a bible study or just driving a lone in my car and all of the sudden God reveals something that He did not at the time I was reading the word. I am sure this has happened to all of us.

So, we looked at this book as a devotional guide. It gave us some great things to think about as we read and to apply to our lives. If there was something we did not understand we just asked God to show us in His time.

Hope that helps you as you search for His heart in the old testament!

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.
Lucy

Unread postby amylynn12 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:33 am

Thank you so much, Lucy & Molly! :)
It sure has started some interesting conversations between my daughter, husband & I. :)

Thank you for mentioning to pray that God will show us & give us the understanding in His time, Lucy. :)

Also, Molly, thank you for the tip to be careful searching for the answers online. :) Did you happen to find a good reliable online source? :)

Thanks again! :)
Amy in Oregon
Working on:
MFW K: Karly (5)
ECC: Kyla (11) and Khloe (8)
Karissa (14) joining some ECC and a mix of other things. :)
MFW Highschool: Kaylee (17)
Preschool fun with Katie (3)
Anxiously awaiting another blessing on the way (Due Sept 2011) :)
amylynn12

Taking the Old Testament Challenge

Unread postby Julie in MN » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:49 pm

amymw wrote:Are there "answers" to the Old Testament Challenge questions? A couple of the questions have stumped us and we are just looking for some clarity.

My guess is that there isn't any answer key or further discussion. A friend who also used MFW suggested contacting the publisher....so that's what I will do.

There are a *lot* of "Old Testament challenge" materials out there, besides what MFW sells. But it was more of a small group type of program, which seem to include more discussion starters than actual answers? Although, If you find out anything for sure, please share -- lots of us will be there next year :)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane now
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (18) hs 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014); always used MFW
Alexandra (27) hs from 10th grade (2002); mother
Travis (30) never hs; engineer in CO
Julie in MN

Re: Taking the Old Testament Challenge

Unread postby Bret Welshymer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:49 am

Two of my children have completed Ancient History and Literature. Both had a wonderful learning experience, academically and spiritually. The purpose of the Old Testament Challenge is personal application and reflection. The important part of answering the questions is that the student is reflecting and processing what they read from the OT that day. As they think through the question they must consider what they read on a personal level. This is what makes The OT Challenge significant. Getting the "right answer" is a side benefit. I hope this perspective allows you to relax and allow God to speak to you and your child as you read the entire OT verse by verse. That in itself is an amazing experience for most high school students.
Bret Welshymer
Senior Consultant, MFW
Bret Welshymer

Unread postby tiffany » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:09 pm

As my husband and daughter have gone over these questions, they have had a few questions they found odd or difficult to answer. I have not found that totally unusual with bible studies. I think the fact that it is thought provoking during their independent study and that they have an opportunity to discuss these things with their parent is more of the objective than always having the right answer.
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877
tiffany

Unread postby cbollin » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:23 am

Julie in MN wrote:If you find out anything for sure, please share -- lots of us will be there next year :)

agreeing with the others on how to do Bible studies on this type. I like the idea that the "right answer" is not always the main goal in those things.

but to the question of is there an answer key or leader's discussion guide or anything like that...
I spent some time looking online at the publisher's site and I don't see anything like that.

So, I hope that helps to give "permission" to use the book for personal study/application and discovery without the worry that each question gets an answer.

-crystal
cbollin

Unread postby Julie in MN » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:21 am

cbollin wrote:I like the idea that the "right answer" is not always the main goal in those things.

Hi Crystal,
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to make myself think of it like what we've done for Bible study in the past -- I've had my son do things like "tell me who you think was most important in the passage." I've never had any intention of judging his answer, but just want to get him thinking & also make sure he doesn't immediately forget what he's read.

We're so going to love reading through all of the Old Testament next year at our house.
Julie
Julie in MN

AHL: Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy <phew>

Unread postby BHelf » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:16 pm

Teresa in TX wrote:Anyone else and their dc having trouble just getting through those three books in three weeks? I kept up/we discussed Leviticus last week. 36 chapters of Deuteronomy in 5 days is a killer. My dd's mind is numb...she's admitted to the fact that she is finding this portion boring and hard to follow. I have heard that those books are the graveyard for people who have attempted to read through the Bible in a year. I forgot. I believe it now. I have to keep telling her to plug on and how much she'll enjoy Joshua!!! ;) The saving thing is Taking the OT challenge because it makes good connections and has opened our eyes to things we had not seen before. I know this is good, but wow!!!!!

Other than those three books of the Bible, we have really hit our groove with this. I was wondering if we would. It just took a while for things to feel natural and to get a feel for how long it would take. This is good stuff!! The discussions have been good. The Biblical discussions have pertained a lot to things we are going through right now and they are helping dd to see things from God's pov. God is always timely like that. :)

When I've tried to read the Bible straight through (without reading some OT and NT each day but literally straight through) I ALWAYS get stuck in Leviticus. True, it makes me thankful that I live on this side of the NT but I can't ever seem to make it past there...I hate to admit that really.

But I have recently become newly interested in Deuteronomy after reading in YWAM's prayer journal this year about everything needed for a God-centered, well-functioning government is almost all found there and that many of the crucial people who helped to turn their countries around, did it because they followed the word in Deuteronomy. Well that was interesting enough to me to want to read it. :)

Sorry, not really what you posted about but just had to type out my thoughts as I was reading your post. :)
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com
BHelf

Re: AHL: Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy <phew>

Unread postby Julie in MN » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:34 pm

I suppose the pace is quick because she is mostly to just get an overview, or a sense of these books, rather than study them in depth? But if your dd is of the sort who needs something to think about as she reads, hmmm, I'm game to trying to think back to reading it with my high schooler some years back. Maybe keeping track of one area of interest throughout the books would help her keep on the alert? Here's what I can think of... (warning - I love the OT)

- Like BHelf mentioned, there is a lot of instruction for building a solid government & society. Stuff we should have paid attention to! Notice how the poor and widowed are always accounted for, as well as the pastors (Levites). Notice the plan for cancellation of debts (just like Jesus would do for us). There are even instructions for farming that 6,000 years later we would finally realize really work (resting the land every so often, etc.)!

- Eeeww to all the sacrifices but wow to how God always and forever has had a plan of atonement for us. Maybe she can search for connections to the final atonement offered thru Jesus? Or other themes that carry through to the NT, such as obedience, holiness, worship, leadership, love, and community. In fact, when first reading the 10 commandments of Exodus, I find it easy to focus on myself and God, but by the end of Deuteronomy, I think God is clearly a God of community. And again I see that totally reflected in the NT.

- Another wow to how detailed God is. When we were reading the OT in CTG, my son did a science fair project about germs. He took something from Genesis For Kids (the CTG science book) to back up his project, which says that Biblical hand washing included all the ingredients for hand washing that might have prevented disease over the generations. The verses he used were Num. 19:6, 9, 17, 21, and Lev. 14:2-3, 8. There's also stuff about sores and about molds and more. There are some real gems buried in there.

- Some things are worth keeping track of for future chapters in the OT. God's discussion of future kings is very revealing and will be very applicable to studying Saul and Solomon later. The blessing of the 12 can be compared to future events. I imagine if you kept careful track of the different genealogies, then some of the OT events would make even more sense (such as different people groups that Moses encountered along the way).

- My dd and I had a running list of "exodus events" as we read these books. Of course it started during the book of Exodus but it continued through all 5 books. So I think this helped her stay alert for these events. You could probably map it or find maps to follow the geography, too. I'll just quote two of our entries:
    NUM 1 & 26: Census taken when setting up camp around tabernacle, & again before entering Canaan. About 2 million people, slightly fewer at the second census.
    NUM 2: God organizes the people in 12 tribes around the tabernacle, & later in Canaan. When Levites are set apart, the tribe of Joseph divided into 2.
- My dd is artsy and "decorated" her exodus page with quotes she collected. Maybe your dd could keep an eye out for quotes she likes. My dd chose Num. 6:24-26, Deut. 8:5, & Deut. 26:9.

- I love how the books of Moses acknowledge our humanness. I sometimes refer to them as, "But dad, what if my situation's a little different..." And God says, "Still no." I mean, starting with folks asking Moses all those questions in his tent in Exodus, now God seems to be adding tons more rules for the Israelites. Some of the rules seem so ridiculously explicit that one might be tempted to say "duh?!" But isn't that how we really are? We talk ourselves into thinking, "It's okay in my case, because..." The Bible's so very true to life, not fluff. Maybe your dd could look for the reality in it all?

- The fact that the Jews today still strive to memorize these 5 books of Moses really connects me to the fact that the rules of living are somewhere in those books. (And your dd can be grateful she doesn't have to memorize all of these slow-paced books!)

Okay, hope that wasn't overkill...
Julie
Julie in MN

Unread postby JenniferF » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:59 am

Julie, I appreciate you going into detail there. Those are some great things to think about. Really helped me for what to think about in reading those books. I was so very proud of my 10yo dd who started reading in Genesis before bed and told me she was going to read through the whole Bible. And she is still at it! :) I think she started about the first of this year. She took a break to join youngers at bedtime for a while with simple Bible stories, but is back to it again....She is currently in the middle/end of Joshua. I know she did skim/skip some of L,N&D ...although one of them she loved! I am thrilled she is still reading through all on her own.

Oh and now, she has decided to copy the verses. She is writing out what she reads each night. She told me she wants to make a her own copy of the WHOLE Bible....wonder how long that would take her to write?! Maybe she will end up in translation work someday LOL :)
Jennifer
mom to My Three Girls
10yo-wants to create a pioneer village for living and working in
8yo- wants to be a missionary in China
4yo-future candy maker & Bible printer. Will hide Bibles in bags of candy to take to sis in China.
JenniferF

Unread postby cbollin » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:11 am

JenniferF wrote:Oh and now, she has decided to copy the verses. She is writing out what she reads each night. She told me she wants to make a her own copy of the WHOLE Bible....wonder how long that would take her to write?!

reminds me of a story, Jenn........

ever hear in other countries where numbers of Bible are limited? The Bible would travel from house to house and each member of the family would work together while the Bible was in their house to copy as much as they could so they would have something to read when that Bible had to get moved along to the next family........ then, there were more copies in that village from each family.....

((hugs))) to your dd's from me.

praying right now for long term plans that God has in mind for your child. .

-crystal
cbollin

Unread postby BHelf » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:43 am

One other thing about reading through the OT is that when you do finally get through those books and read all or most of the OT, the NT really starts to click and you'll finally "get" some things that you may not have understood before. I did an in depth bible study quite a few years ago and the NT made even more sense to me after reading most of the OT. So it can give your child a great perspective on why things were written they way they were and why this or that phrase meant so much to the Jewish people or to the Gentiles or whatever.
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com
BHelf

Unread postby Julie in MN » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:07 am

BHelf wrote:One other thing about reading through the OT is that when you do finally get through those books and read all or most of the OT, the NT really starts to click and you'll finally "get" some things that you may not have understood before. I did an in depth bible study quite a few years ago and the NT made even more sense to me after reading most of the OT. So it can give your child a great perspective on why things were written they way they were and why this or that phrase meant so much to the Jewish people or to the Gentiles or whatever.

Oh, yes, I think that's one reason I love the OT.

I've wondered how hard it would be to highlight all the OT verses that Jesus quoted, and then read the OT thru with those highlighted verses really standing out...

Someone once said that Jesus justified his whole ministry using the OT (because that's all there was, of course), so we can find all of Jesus in the OT!

Julie
Julie in MN

AHL Bible

Unread postby cbollin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:46 pm

lizamac wrote:I've just purchased AHL for my high school aged son and we are excited about starting. Can anyone tell me if scripture memorization is built into this curriculum? I've skimmed through the guide but cannot find this information.

There is opportunity to learn up to 40 or so verses. That gets started in about week 17 where it is suggested to at least copy and try to remember some verses at the end of each chapter in one of the books used in Bible time in that part. 40 chapters in that book and one verse matches each chapter theme.

I haven't opened the Daniel study to see if there are other opportunities with memory work there or not. I should do that and look.......
nah. someone else can chime in on that.

-crystal
cbollin

Re: AHL Bible

Unread postby Bret Welshymer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:55 pm

During Ancient History and Literature and World History and Literature students will read through the entire Bible verse by verse. While reading through the Old Testament during Ancient History and Literature, students will answer personal application questions on a daily basis. No specific memorization is assigned. As families you are certainly welcome to add memorization. One idea would be to choose especially meaningful verses from each week's reading for memorization. When reading the Purpose Driven Life students are asked to write the Verse to Remember for each chapter on an index card and put it in a place they will see it and think about it during the day. These would be good verses to memorize. During Experiencing God in World History and Literature students are asked to memorize a verse each week. Thinking Like a Christian in Year 3, US History to 1877, includes key verses that could be be memorized to reinforce key principles related to Biblical worldview. During Year 4, US History 1877 to Present, students will learn and use a specific Scripture memorization format. It seems very natural to include Bible memorization as a part of the rich Bible offered in the high school program.
Bret Welshymer
Senior Consultant, MFW
Bret Welshymer

Re: AHL Bible

Unread postby cbollin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:18 pm

Now that my oldest dd is in week 17 of AHL, I wanted to tag on a tiny bit to what Bret said about adding memorization. Not only does MFW suggest to use the PDL book "verse to remember", MFW also recommends that the students "memorize a number of Proverbs verses each week that are especially meaningful to you. Have a conference with your parents to decide how many verses you will memorize each week."

so, that's another quick source for memory work in AHL: when the Proverbs study is done. But MFW doesn't assign the specifics. It is selected based on family/student preference.

-crystal
cbollin

The New Answers Book from AHL

Unread postby gratitude » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:57 pm

In answer to some of my questions about MFW down the road; Crystal recommended The New Answers Book from AHL so that I could understand the MFW approach to apologetics.

I wanted to share that my DH & I are both LOVING this book. It is wonderful to read. I would recommend it to anyone that wants to read a good apologetics book - adult or teenager. I didn't want to wait 7+ years for HS. We are having Fun reading ahead! :-)
gratitude

The New Answers Book from AHL - compare to video

Unread postby Julie in MN » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:25 am

My son is enjoying this book and I'm able to see that he's ready to explore how his faith meshes with the outside "scientific" world. He's been very excited with the results!

momofsix wrote:Or if your a very, very busy mother, get the videos & watch with the family!
I know the books cover more material, but the videos are a great tool for those who don't read much, or are just so busy.

Hi Elissa,
We've been watching the DVD #1 along with the AHL book. The DVD is way shorter, as you mentioned, but ds enjoys the addition.

I'm wondering if you've watched all the other DVDs? Do they add a lot of unique topics, or do the topics become rather the same? I'm considering Christmas gifts for ds :)

momofsix wrote:Book 2 has 31 or 32 questions, the Answers DVD says it contains 12 answers, ten of which are based on topics in The New Answers Book 2, and two are totally new: Did Humans Really Evolve from Apelike Creatures?, Does the Big Bang fit with the Bible?, What's wrong with Progressive Creation?, Can Creationists be "real" scientists?, Is the Intelligent Design Movement Christian?,What's the best "proof" of Creation?, Doesn't the order of fossils in the rock record favor long ages?, Why is the scopes trial significant?, Was the dispersion at Babel a real event?, When does Life begin?, Does radiometric dating prove the earth is old?, How to respond to someone who asks, "Why is this important?".

The New AnswersBook 3 has 38 questions, the DVD 3 says it has 18 topics, all based from topics in the Ans.Bk.3: Was their death before Adam sinned, Where was the Garden of Eden located?, Doesn't the Bible support slavery?, What is the best argument for the existence of God? Vestigial organs - evidence for evolution?, What about cloning and stem cells?, Did Bible authors believe in a literal Genesis?, Did life come from outer space?, Does evolution have a chance?, What are some of the best flood evidences?, Unicorns in the Bible?, How can someone start new life in Christ? & 6 more.

I personally have not read the books [yet]. My dh is the book reader :) My 13 yo has read book 1 & parts of others. They are a good reference too, to go to specific chapters about certain topics ... I have done that a few times.

We just got the 3rd video when were down at the Creation Museum in October. If you haven't been there yet, I cannot recommend a better family vacation than to get to the Creation Museum. It's so AWESOME!! We spent 3 days in a row this time. We first went last Sept (3 days then too), and again in December for the Live Nativity. Well worth the 14 hour drive for us from northern MN.

Oooh, I'm definitely thinking he'd like another one of these DVDs.

If you haven't read the books, then I'd say the DVDs are like an intro or a teaser for the book. The DVD segment might be 5 minutes, while reading the chapter might take 30 minutes. There's probably nothing on the DVD that isn't in the book, but my son just enjoys seeing/hearing things, and he also very much enjoyed seeing Mr. Ham "in person." (There are a few other guys talking about some chapters, but Mr. Ham is definitely his favorite!) So at our house, we watch the DVD segment and then read the chapter. But DVD #2 would just be a lunchtime extra :) Or, maybe we'll watch one every year as a "refresher"?!
Julie in MN

AHL - User tips for Daniel study

Unread postby 4Truth » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:41 pm

Winni wrote:On Page 2 of the Daniel study, on number 3, my daughter and I are wondering how important the whole "body language" thing is. She thinks it's kinda silly, and really doesn't want to memorize the main theme/idea that way.

No big deal, right?

My dd thought it was silly, too. I informed her I would NOT make her do that. She was pleased. ;)
Donna, homeschooling our two youngest in 10th and 6th grades, with the oldest homeschooled all the way and graduated; using MFW since 2004
4Truth

Re: AHL - Daniel question

Unread postby Julie in MN » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:19 am

We haven't gotten there yet, but I've read thru the Daniel study.

I think I'll give my ds my typical "speech" about how you have to "do something" with what you're learning in order to tell your brain that you want to retain this -- if you don't want to do body language, you can write, or draw, or type, or talk, or.. Wonder if he'll just choose the body language ;)

Julie
Julie in MN

Re: AHL - Daniel question

Unread postby Tracey in ME » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:36 am

Great. Thanks, gals! ;)
- Tracey
Mother of six (16, 13, 9, 7, 4, and 15 months)
2006 - Present - My Father's World
2001-2005 Sonlight

Our blog: http://traceys-journal.blogspot.com/
Tracey in ME

Next

Return to High School Archive