Days 1-11 (including daily math activities)

If you are using My Father's World First Grade (previous version), please share your ideas with us.

Re: Gluten Free Clay

Unread postby mgardenh » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:13 pm

We use Crayola Air dry clay. You can get pretty big tubs of it at wallmart. My dd is dairy, egg, and gluten free. MY other dd has more allergies to foods then are possible to list here. She can only have 25 foods. She doesn't have a problem with this stuff either. It is good for projects you want to keep or need hard like clay pots and stuff. Both dd use model magic for things that you don't want hard and is reusable. For more sandy type stuff that will make very temporary stuff we use moon dough. We have never had a problem with any of these and let me tell my youngest would if there were any food type items in them. Also moon sand is good too. More for tracing letters or drawing pictures in.

Mike
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR
mgardenh

Re: Gluten Free Clay

Unread postby momma2boys » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:39 pm

As an encouragement, we can't have corn syrup, gluten or any artificial dyes or flavorings... and we've been able to tweak the recipes, etc. just fine so far! My son has Aspergers. He LOVES this curriculum and so do I. :)
Anna (CO)

Still married to the love of my life
Mom to two boys, 13 and 11 - both adopted and with their own unique special needs

We've done ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR and on to EXPL-1850 this year!
http://www.ChiqBanAnna@gmail.com
momma2boys

Re: Days 1-11 (including daily math activities)

Unread postby Abfritz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:22 am

I'm so excited to get going with MFW 1st Grade. We did Kindergarten last year and are a few weeks into 1st grade now.

I spent some time compiling a list of EVERYTHING needed for the program (including science projects) this weekend! You can find a full printable copy here: http://homeschoolnotes.com/archives/132

It will be fun to hear all of your great ideas!
Abfritz

Jewish New Year? 1st grade

Unread postby Julie in MN » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:07 am

sarah wrote:Hello,
We recently made the Jewish calendar that comes with 1st grade. The TM says the Jewish New Year is in the spring because the Jewish people celebrate their new beginning as a people as marked by Passover when God led them out of Egypt. Makes sense to me. Well, my pastor is Jewish (born and raised) (converted :-) ) and last week at church he is saying "Happy New Year" in Hebrew and talking about how it's the Jewish New Year. Confused now :~ ; I look it up briefly on the internet and sure enough it says the New Year is in the fall????? Is the TM incorrect or what am I missing here.

It is confusing, isn't it? I can't say that I totally get it, so I thought a Jewish quote might explain it better than I. Here's an explanation I found at a site called Judaism 101:

You may notice that the Bible speaks of Rosh Hashanah as occurring on the first day of the seventh month. The first month of the Jewish calendar is Nissan, occurring in March and April. Why, then, does the Jewish "new year" occur in Tishri, the seventh month?

Judaism has several different "new years," a concept which may seem strange at first, but think of it this way: the American "new year" starts in January, but the new "school year" starts in September, and many businesses have "fiscal years" that start at various times of the year. In Judaism, Nissan 1 is the new year for the purpose of counting the reign of kings and months on the calendar, Elul 1 (in August) is the new year for the tithing of animals, Shevat 15 (in February) is the new year for trees (determining when first fruits can be eaten, etc.), and Tishri 1 (Rosh Hashanah) is the new year for years (when we increase the year number. Sabbatical and Jubilee years begin at this time).

sarah wrote:Yeah, that's confusing. How do use one to count the months and one to change the year number?

The best I can figure, the feasts have a lot to do with harvest. And I think of the "feast year" as starting in the fall, even if the calendar year starts in the spring.

Most of the feasts seem to have grain offerings and emphasize offering the "first" to God, so harvest & feast must be pretty synonymous. And the first big harvests probably come in in the fall? I do get the idea that Israel is not like Minnesota, and there is a winter planting with a spring harvest, too -- because there are grain offerings in the spring too. But maybe it was easier or more clear to start with the fall harvest? Harvest also has to do with the "seventh year Sabbath" of letting the land rest (not sure if that was practiced for long, but it was in the instructions), which might sort-of start with the "evening" like the Sabbath day, at the usual point of the winter planting? Okay, that's a total random guess, but that's how my mind jumps around :~

The thing that makes an impression on me (which you'll find in CTG) is that all these timetables come together in Jesus' life and it really showed me that there's a bigger picture here than we can comprehend :)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane now
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (18) hs from 3rd grade (2004); always used MFW
Alexandra (27) hs from 10th grade (2002); mother
Travis (29) never hs; engineer in CO
Julie in MN

Re: Jewish New Year? 1st grade

Unread postby cbollin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:56 am

Sarah,
I was confused by your statement "The TM says the Jewish New Year is in the spring " so I picked up my manual. My MFW 1st grade manual does NOT say that Nisan day 1 is "jewish new year". It says it is day 1 month 1. She is using the familiar of January, in the winter, to explain that the first month and first day are called Nisan, which is in spring. It is not the same as January 1. That is the point she is making for 1st graders. Don't line it up with january 1. So that might be part of the confusion. In our western calendars, we do start "happy new year" on month 1, day 1. Not all calendars do that.

to try to help answer your follow up question - why month 1 day 1 is not year change?

Part of the counting of years is from rabbinical tradition because it is thought that Feast of Trumpets (aka Rosh Hashanah) was to recognize the day the universe was created. It's "happy birthday world" day 1. So, it's a lot more like our birthday system in our culture. We turn a "new year" on the day that celebrates our birth and that will not always be january 1. Rosh Hashnah, a fall feast, is "Jewish New year". and it is going on right now! so grab some apples and know that in CTG you'll learn a bit more.

I like the information Julie shared with the analogy of how budget years and school years don't all line up with January 1. I worked in a university and totally get it. The year I first work at a state university in Indiana, was a big year as it was the year that Dr. MB became president. Dr. B began working about 7 months prior to his official "recognition start date and inauguration". So to me, his first day and first month of employment was not the same as his first day of new year/season of that "reign as president". So to me, it makes total sense that counting years don't have to be the first day of the month.

but more than that.... it is from rabbinical tradition that the Years are counted new at the fall feast.

besides that... when you get to Rome to the Reformation you'll get more information on the current calendar system. and then how in one year in the 1700's the calendar shifted again. just wait until you're confused then. it will be more fun..

sarah wrote:Okay, I get what your saying.... but I still can't wrap my brain around it but I am going to let it sink in. :-) I think trying to explain it to a 6 year old makes it more confusing because Jan 1 is really the main comparison he has to use. Basically, Nisan is when the months start over, but they don't celebrate New Year in the 1st month, right? Kinda like if we were to celebrate New Years in Sept but still start the calendar 1/1. Their New Year isn't linked directly to what month it is- it's a "holiday" in itself and is related to the harvest, tradition, etc. So yeah, I think I do get it more now that I am typing it. So I should tell my child, "The Jewish people started their calender in Spring in the month of Nisan. Their first month of the year was in the Spring, not in Winter. They decided to start their calendar in the spring because that's the season when God brought them out of Egypt and established them as a people." And leave New Year out of it (for now anyhow). But someday I will say, "The Jewish New Year is in the fall because........... but the first month is the month of NIsan, thus the New Year is not what marks the beginning of a new calender year. " Basically instead of changing the year with 1/1, they change the year number in the fall at Rosh Hashanah. I need to look at each separate and know their are many Jewish traditions/feasts that have reasons behind them largely foreign to me.

yes. that would be fine. I would leave out new year, unless he asks because of what your pastor said.
Nisan 1 is the first day of the first month on the Jewish calendar. But that day happens in spring.
It is one of 4 days that are part of "new years" on Jewish calendar.
We'll learn more of them later.

for you....
Although there are about 4 "new years" in Jewish culture, the most common "Jewish new year" is a modern term for Rosh Hashanah, which is the Feast (or Festival) of Trumpets. It is a fixed date. Look in Leviticus chapter 23, verse 24.

The number of year counting changes occur then out of tradition - not from Biblical passages. You're not going to find instructions in scripture to call it New Year, or even to call it a number of year. It is tradition.

The year numbering is based on the calendar system called Anno Mundi (Latin: "in the year of the world"), abbreviated as AM or A.M., refers to a Calendar era based on the Biblical creation of the world. Tradition holds that creation happened in what we call "september".

Even early Eastern Christian churches used that AM (anno mundi) system for a while before other calendar numbering systems were in place. Western churches went with Anno Domini (AD) and is one of the most recognized calendars in the world today. so when did anno mundi begin as a recognized calendar system? I don't know. It was probably in the mid 100's AD. but this is a kicker for it all...... in the 1000's AD, they recalculated the information and changed the numbers. ;) but I would leave out all of that for your 1st grader. I just thought maybe you'd like to know the term Anno Mundi and realize that is not from scripture.

So, back to the original thing here.... when your pastor said Happy New Year, it is from tradition and refers to Festival of Trumpets being recognized to be near the date of the beginning of the AM calendar.

and yes, in RTR, you'll learn more about how March was calendar change month.....
-crystal
cbollin

Re: Jewish New Year? 1st grade

Unread postby Cyndi (AZ) » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:14 am

I just got back from a week in Manhattan, and let me tell you it was indeed Jewish New Year. Huge dept stores were closed. Kids were out of school. There were fireworks. It was kinda cool to be able to explain Rosh Hashanah to the group I was with. And my dd had a blast blowing the shofar for CTG while she stayed home with her grandparents. (Bad pun? Blame it on jet lag.)
2014/15: 1850MOD
completed: MFWK, MFW1, ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850
Cyndi (AZ)

Re: Days 1-11

Unread postby tinkerbellaug77 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:31 am

I have twins that will be using MFW 1st grade this year. For the 100 chart, I made a table in Word so that I could type in the numbers 1-00 (table cells Height 1" width 0.66") and cut them out. Now the boys can each glue or use sticky tack their numbers to their charts to put up the "Number of the Day" on rather than my writing it in. Hope this is helpful!
tinkerbellaug77

1st Grade Day 2 Question

Unread postby cbollin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:43 am

mlhom4him wrote:Has anyone had trouble with the recipe in the TM for the Cornstarch Modeling Clay (for about 6 small jars)? A group that I host in another forum is reporting very poor results with the recipe. I don't remember any troubles so I am not much help. The ladies there are reporting that it is too soft to hold together and will not stay together but crumbles or falls in on itself when making the clay pot. Anyone experience this? What did you do to the recipe to help this? Thanks!

Mary Lou Hom

I just picked up the manual. and just tried the recipe. it has been a while since I've done it.. but here it is about 25 minutes after you posted the question. my results?

It worked over here.

I think it was the adding the water SLOWLY that is needed, and that you might not need the full 1/2 cup of water.
So, because my was too much water.. I put some extra flour on a the cutting board that I used as my kneaded space.
dumped the mixture on there. kneaded a little extra flour
and this was a nice feel to it.

some tricks I discovered in the first minute of playing with my dough? it does not like to be treated harshly like playdough. so to make my pots, I like to try with coils (you know.. roll out a snake).. well, you can't roll this recipe that easy. It has to be gentle presses instead of hard rolls.

it was easy to make a ball of it.. and press in the center. it was not crumbling in on itself yet.

been 10 minutes since I finished the recipe. the batch rested for that time and it is easier to work with.

I would guess either
1. it needed another tiny amount of water. they are using cold water, right? not hot or boiling?
2. or mine needed another tiny amount of flour
3. treat gently - use pressing and pinching techniques and not poking punching rolling
4. do not put lid on until things have dried. make lid thin.

my jar is spreading a bit on sides though.... leave it alone for a minute and pinch again. and now it's holding.

my jar looks more like a basket to be honest.. LOL

keep in mind the jars are supposed to be small to hold a scrap of paper...

......it's been what... 15 minutes. I squished in one of the baskets I made and started over on that one.. ah.... I have a nice jar now. made a gentle ball, pushed in with my thumb.. pretty pretty!

it wasn't fridge cold water. the first tablespoon or so was warm to the touch water.. then cold from tap. add slowly.. . and mine was too gooey at first... rolled the goo in a touch of flour on cutting board.. and then the stuff just popped. my do over jar.....the dough looks like the consistency of "can of biscuits" hey! there's an idea..... use a canned of biscuits from grocery ?? I wish I could get bread dough this nice...

hope that helps... but finding that waiting the few minute for the do over was nice... so maybe the recipe needs to rest for a minute before getting smooshed...

I do not think there is such a thing as "no fail"..... with something like cornstarch and water and flour and water... little things can make a difference. I have a favorite bread recipe that I love to use, but sometimes... the humidity in the kitchen changes it from no fail to bummer. same recipe. same person, same kitchen... it's not the recipe is it? I think this recipe is similar. It is a good recipe. Sometimes it is just an extra (or even one less) spoon or two of water can really make a difference. try again on things. don't be afraid if something is dry to add a touch of liquid.

ahhhhhhhhhh back when homeschooling was fun.. instead of this stuff in mfw high school

-crystal
cbollin

Re: 1st Grade Day 2 Question

Unread postby Yodergoat » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:01 pm

I had trouble with it also. :~

We got some decent looking jars made, but as they dried they turned all crumbly and cracked and fell apart. My little girl (fighting back tears of disappointment) said, "Well, at least they look authentic. See, we made them yesterday but they look like they were made back in Bible times!"

I don't know what the remedy would have been in our case. Crystal had talked about treating it gently... we had most definitely not treated the clay gently as we were working with it. In fact, we tried kneading it extra thoroughly! Suppose that was our issue? Anyway, our homemade clay failed, and we didn't have the heart to try again, so I don't have suggestions for making it work. Just wanted to say that I have heard it is a common problem.

So we cheated, went to the store and got some Sculpey, a white modeling compound that you can back to harden. It can then be sanded, painted, whatever. But we left the jar white. If I could have found it, I would have gotten a more natural looking air dry clay.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 5 little ones (3 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... enjoying ECC for grade three!
Yodergoat

Unread postby mlhom4him » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:13 pm

Crystal I remember having similar results last fall when we made ours. :)

Mary Lou Hom
mlhom4him

Unread postby Mom2theteam » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:42 pm

I read in a few places that the recipe had issues. I bought Sculpey at Wal-Mart. It worked well. Our pots were made about 3wks ago and they are decorating our window sill in our kitchen. :-)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, 8 and under
Zack, 8 MFW Adv
Samantha & Blake, twins, 6, MFW K
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 4
Nicholas 1 year
Mom2theteam

Unread postby Poohbee » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:10 pm

We've done MFW 1st grade twice, so we've made the dough and the jars twice. Both times, we just followed the manual and had good results. We still have the jars my 6th grader made when she was in first grade.
Jen
blessed to be wife to Vince (15 years)
and mom to Grace (13), Hope (9), and Jacob (5)
have used MFW since 2006
2014-2015: 1850MOD and K
Poohbee

Unread postby 4monkeyz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:18 am

Interesting. Hm. I didn't have much salt when we got to this day, so I reduced the recipe in half and added maybe half the salt. It was a pay week. :) Our jars turned out okay. Very white. We didn't do coils, but instead the two kids each got half the dough and using their thumb sort of formed a "pinch" pot. They are still sitting on my counter. I'm kind of afraid to toss them, but not sure what to do with them?? Sorry it didn't work. That's frustrating. Maybe try again??
Andrea ~ Mother of four little monkeys (jumping on the bed!), Wife to one incredibly amazing man & a Daughter of the King.
    Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
4monkeyz

Unread postby Ruby » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:16 pm

well, here's something to keep in mind: if you look at the archives in Adv. lots of moms chimed in about the johnnycake recipe. individual results may vary. as for pots, i am all for crayola's model magic. great stuff if you can afford it and it's air dry. you have to drop it on the floor to break it. and it's a clay, like typical pot making clay. icky to clean up. clean up while the clay is still damp!! use within a year or 9 months. leftovers can be good for christmas ornaments or paperweights for dad's office or shop. or make clay buttons for Adv. like in colonial or pioneer times (can't remember which).
Ruby

1st grade Day 8 Reading ntbk

Unread postby romans8x28 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:32 pm

kw4blessings wrote:We just started MFW1 and we're loving it! I'm afraid I'm stumped, though. At the risk of realizing how ridiculous this question is once someone answers....here goes: On Day 8 in the reading notebook, the students are writing the letters, "S,T, and U". Above each letter is a picture. I can't for the life of me figure out what the picture for "U" is. Are the children walking "up"? Doesn't look like it. DD and I would love to know. Thanks all!

"us"

I only know that because they use the same words as they did in Kinder!

kw4blessings wrote:"Us"!! It makes so much sense now. &) Thanks!
Rhonda is teaching:
Girl - 9, Boy - 6, Girl - 1.5

2011-2012 - K - 1st Ed.
2012-2013 - First - 1st Ed., Toddler/Preschool Packages
2013-2014 - Adventures - 2nd Ed., K - 2nd Ed.
2014-2015 - ECC - 2nd Ed., ECC & First - 2nd Ed.
romans8x28

Question about gr. 1 Daily Math Activities

Unread postby Mom2theteam » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:29 pm

mshanson3121 wrote:I have a question about the daily math activities. It says to do the Calendar activities, and then the following 6 steps every day:

1. Number Identification
2. Money
3. Base Ten and Place Value
4. 100 Chart
5. Oral Story Problem
6. Number of the Day Sheet

Under #1 there's 3 different activities to do, under #3 there's two activities (using the beans and the expanded form cards), under #4 it lists a few different things to do and then of course the Number of the Day sheet has a few different things to do.

Do you do ALL the activities listed daily, or do you just pick one from each number? Say, under #1 you measure something, under #4 that day you count by 2s, and under #3, maybe that day you just use the beans. I just find all the daily math activities is too much for my son.

You have to adapt the program to your child and family. So, going through the manual and straight down the line, here is what we do:

1. We write the number on the number chart. I do not have him bring me X number of things. We measure things here and there and don't feel the need to measure a line daily. We don't have the number posted. It's on the 100 chart.

2. We do the money exchanging, though some days we forget. :~

3. We did the bean sticks till about 30. It only takes a minute, really it does. But, once my son had 10's and 1's down, we stopped. For the expanded number, again we did this till about 30 and we incorporated it into the number of the day sheet. It is very fast after they get the hang of it.

4. We count to today's number by 2's, 3's, 5's or 10's. Usually, 2's. I don't point to a number because my son knows them and doesn't need this practice. We already counted by 2's OR 5's OR 10's. We don't do all of them and we don't do it by 1's daily. No need for all of that since my son knows 10's, 5's and 1's and has 2's almost down also. We don't count to 20 because my son knows how to both forward and backward. So, no need.

5. Oral problem - I make a point to do this randomly throughout our day. Setting the table, "Zack, I already put 3 plates on the table. We need 8. Can you figure out how many we still need and put them out. Thanks." ;) We do not do this with our "daily activities."

6. We are on day....67 or so. We just recently let the number of the day sheet fall by the wayside. But, this sheet is fast once the child learns how to do it. I would make breakfast and say "hey, can you do your number of the day sheet." This is when I would incorporate the expanded number. Where it says ____ + ____ = number of the day, I would ask him what the expanded number was or show him early on and then he would write it.

It seems like a lot, but really it isn't. It can all happen in under 10 minutes. I often have my son do it while I cooked breakfast. He will get out his calendar binder and do his calendar, 100 chart and number of the day while I cook. From there, I ask, "what is today/yesterday/tomorrow?" and have him count by 2's. We will exchange money when I sit down and I'll check his sheet. It really is much easier than it sounds on paper (or screen).

Adapt this to your child's needs. Don't feel you HAVE to do every thing exactly as written. Use it as a guide. (It took me quite a while to be happy with using it as a guide.) Oh and feel free to break it up if you need to. Do the calendar and money at one point and the 100 chart and number of the day sheet another time. Have fun! Good luck!
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, 8 and under
Zack, 8 MFW Adv
Samantha & Blake, twins, 6, MFW K
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 4
Nicholas 1 year
Mom2theteam

Re: Question about gr. 1 Daily Math Activities

Unread postby MelissaB » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:05 pm

Mom2theteam wrote: Adapt this to your child's needs. Don't feel you HAVE to do every thing exactly as written. Use it as a guide.
Good advice. ;)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Completed K/ECC; CTG/1st; RTR; Expl.-1850.
Enjoying 1850-Mod.
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4
MelissaB

Re: Question about gr. 1 Daily Math Activities

Unread postby mshanson3121 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:15 am

Yes it is, thank you. I'm still learning that lesson, that just because it's written that way, doesn't mean we have to do 100% of all of it, or exactly as it's written :)
mshanson3121

Previous

Return to Ideas - My Father's World First Grade (previous version)