momofsix wrote:Can anyone tell me what's changed or better about the 2nd edition of Apologia Physical Science?
I can link to the section of apologia's answer on that. dont' know if it will answer much to specific details, but it does give an overview. (not the easier link to find on their site.. but I knew it was there)
- Differences Between the Editions
- Dr. Wile has been answering student questions on each of these courses for seven years or more. Those questions have allowed him to realize what sections of the books could be written more clearly. Thus, these editions of our courses are even more understandable than the first editions!
- The student text has graphic icons that tell the student when there is a related multimedia presentation on the optional companion CD.
- There are course websites that have links to materials which provide extra help as well as interesting news related to each field.
- There are cumulative tests in the solutions and tests manual if the parent/teacher wants to give the student quarterly, semester, or final exams.
- The tests in the solutions and tests manual contain a point system that aids the parent/teacher in grading the tests.
- Finally, even though the module tests are found in the solutions and tests manual (so that the parent/teacher always has a copy of them), a second set of tests is also provided in a perforated booklet. This will allow the student to be given the tests without referring to the solutions and tests manual.
PLEASE NOTE: Because of the differences between the first and second editions, students in a group setting cannot use both. They must all have the same edition. Because of this, the first edition of the course will still be available for those in schools or support groups that use the first edition.
I haven't used 1st edition to compare them. MFW still sells their lesson planner for 1st edition if you need that. And I guess for right now, apologia still sells 1st edition student stuff for co-ops who still want to use older version.
I think it was the year my older was starting into General that the General went to 2nd edition. My thoughts were to just go with 2nd edition since she was the oldest child and it would become easier down the road with other children if we had 2nd edition. If she had been younger child or youngest, I would have just kept with 1st.