Science - Apologia in co-op?

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons

Science - Apologia in co-op?

Unread postby kellybell » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:23 pm

Apologia Physical for 7th grader in co-op?

dascott wrote:I am using ECC for the upcoming school year. I had planned to use Apologia's Exploring Creation through General Science with my ds - 7th grade. I have just learned that the co-op we attend is going to offer Apologia's Exploring Creation through Physical Science for 7th & 8th graders. My question - Is it ok to do Physical Science without doing the General Science first? Do you think it would be too hard for 7th grader without doing General Science first? Thanks so much.
Dedra

Kelly's disclaimer: Apologia recommends General Science first. And, they probably do for a good reason.

Okay, that said, I think you'd be okay doing physical science first, especially if the student had some exposure to science during his elementary years.

I did the same thing (almost) this year. My oldest dd had just finishd General Science and we had purchased the Physical Science set when a friend offered a co-op class in Apologia Biology. We decided to "give it a try" knowing we could withdraw her after a month or so if it weren't working out. She's doing fine (they end class in a couple of weeks).

Now, my 6th grader is doing General Science, also due to a co-op situation. She's also doing fine.

Although we've purchased the Physical Science program, nobody has done it yet. I've flipped through the book some and it really looks like it is about the same reading level as General Science.

You could always try it for a few weeks and drop out if it's not working out.

Another idea: Get your hands on the General Science book (borrow it if needed) and read it over the summer. No need to do all the work, just read the topics. That will give your ds a little foundation.

And another idea: If your ds gets bogged down reading, you can always get the book-on-CD version of PHysical Science so he can listen to the text (or read as the narrator also reads!)

And, similarly: there is a multimedia CD-ROM that has some short video clips, some vocabulary words (pronunciations!).

Why not give it a try wih the understanding that you can drop out if it's too much and try again in a year or two.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).
kellybell

Unread postby dascott » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:30 am

cbollin wrote:What's his math level? Apologia Science lists as Math Prerequisite for Physical Science -- 7th grade math.
-crystal

He is doing Saxon Math 7/6 this year. He has had a lot of Science exposure while attending private schools the last 5 years. I do have the General Science book. I purchased it used a few months ago before I knew about the co-op schedule. I will look through it and try to get a copy of the physical science to look through. Thanks for the response I have already received.

Dedra
dascott

Re: Apologia Physical for 7th grader in co-op?

Unread postby Sue in MN » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:53 pm

dascott wrote: My question - Is it ok to do Physical Science without doing the General Science first? Do you think it would be too hard for 7th grader without doing General Science first? Thanks so much.
Dedra

Yes, it is OK to do Physical Science without doing General Science first. When we first started with Apologia my dd was going into 8th grade. Dr. Wile himself recommended that we skip General Science and start with Physical Science. I normally wouldn't do this with a 7th grader but being he/she will be working with a group then I think it would be fine.
Sue in MN

Apologia Physical Science Coop?

Unread postby cbollin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:14 pm

Amy C. wrote:Has anyone participated in one? If so, can you share how it could/did work.

I am needing a coop class idea for me to teach next year. I am wanting to do something for my then 8th grader so that we can kill two birds with one stone (so to speak) while we are there. Maybe a better way to say it is that I want to redeem our time out of the house by incorporating something from his curriculum from home.

Coop classes are once a week for 10 weeks in the fall and 10 weeks in the spring with approximately 3 months in between semesters. I am not seeing how a Physical Science coop could work in that schedule. I am assuming it would need to be a weekly coop all year long. So the participants would need to start and end together.

I have thought about trying to find someone else who is using Apologia Physical (well, actually, I thought about it for this year using General but never got past thinking about). Just wondering if anyone else has done one and the logistics of it. (I thought I had read about Apologia coops on here. Maybe not Jr. High, though, but thought I would ask). I may just need another class idea.

Thanks!
Amy C.

hmmm.... what about checking Marty's blog?
http://martysahm.blogspot.com/p/apologi ... ience.html

or.. the other lady (I don't know her name) here
http://appliejuice.wordpress.com/physical-science/

they're like famous in homeschool cyber circles for apologia co-op ideas...

-crystal
cbollin

Re: Apologia Physical Science Coop?

Unread postby CharleneHoell » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:07 pm

I thought I would chime in also...hope this helps to answer your questions. This past year my 7th grade ds took an Apologia General Science class at a co-op. It met once a week for a total of 32 weeks. There were breaks for Thanksgiving, Christmas, winter, and spring. All the reading, OYO questions, tests, lab reports, and study guides were done at home. All the labs were done at the co-op. This next year my son will take the Apologia Physical Science. Because of the nature of this class, it will meet twice a week for the same 32 weeks. I am not sure yet how the teacher is setting up the class, but I know it meets 2x week for an hour. I hope this helps you make a decision. I have loved my son being in a science class in a co-op setting. He has learned how to work with a lab partner in a cooperative setting, write lab reports, learned to take tests, and make some good friends in the process.

God bless,
Charlene :)
Married to a wonderful husband for 16 yrs
Daughter of the King!
Ds 8th grade-ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp to 1850, 1850 to modern
Ds 5th grade-MFW 1st, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp to 1850, 1850 to modern
Dd 2nd grade
Ds 5, my energizer bunny!
CharleneHoell

Unread postby Amy C. » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Thanks for the links, Crystal, and thanks for you response, Charlene! Both have been helpful. As I suspected, I don't really see how this could be done in our current coop setup. It could work if I could find another family/other families who would be interested. However, that would be adding another thing to schedule in so I don't know... :~

Yes, Charlene, I can see how it would be beneficial. It sounds great. I just don't know how to make it work in our situation. I don't know of any other hsing families in my town who have children my ds's age. Everyone I know has children younger than him. My hs group meets in another town about 30 min. from here with families from several surrounding counties so even if I did find someone, I would have a drive or they would have to come to my house. That plus the other coop would be too much, I think. So, back to the drawing board (and praying for God's direction for what we should do).

I do thank you both for you responses. They have been helpful.

Amy C.
Amy C.

Unread postby mom2boys » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:02 am

We have done Physical Science in a coop setting that meets 8 times in the fall and 8 times in the spring. Basically every other week. All reading, lab reports, tests etc. were done at home and the labs were done at coop. Worked perfectly because there are 16 modules. You would two extra modules that you could also do some review/test prep with the class. I think it could work. You would just need to make sure you came up with a syllabus before it started so everyone knew exactly what was to be done at home before each class. We had to have the first module read before the 1st class but that would not be necessary since you a have a couple of extra weeks. Hope that helps.
~Charlotte
loving my Hubby and 3 sons 16, 13, 7
Used MFW since 2004
mom2boys

Unread postby Amy C. » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:12 am

Thanks, Charlotte. It helps to see how someone else has done it. I appreciate your sharing. Definitely food for thought.

If you ladies who have done one don't mind another question, did you pay a fee for your class and the teacher/leader buy all the supplies or did you all just pitch in on the supplies?

Amy C.
Amy C.

Unread postby CharleneHoell » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:56 am

Hi,

I paid $25 for the year which included all lab supplies, photocopies, and a binder. The teacher's then provided all the supplies from the "fund". There were some labs that my son had to do at home that were not conducive to a classroom, but I didn't need anything extra for them.

I should clarify that I did have to pay for his book and test booklet, but the teachers allowed him to use the first edition of the General Science book, so the class ended up costing $55.

I hope this helps!

Blessings,
Charlene :-)
Married to a wonderful husband for 16 yrs
Daughter of the King!
Ds 8th grade-ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp to 1850, 1850 to modern
Ds 5th grade-MFW 1st, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp to 1850, 1850 to modern
Dd 2nd grade
Ds 5, my energizer bunny!
CharleneHoell

Unread postby Julie in MN » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:06 pm

CharleneHoell wrote:I paid $25 for the year which included all lab supplies, photocopies, and a binder. The teacher's then provided all the supplies from the "fund". There were some labs that my son had to do at home that were not conducive to a classroom, but I didn't need anything extra for them. I hope this helps!

Wow, you should thank your tutor every day.

We have 3 big junior/senior high type co-ops in our town.

One charges $200 per semester http://www.yeahacademy.net/physicalscience.htm
This one is $203 per semester for Physical http://homepage.mac.com/southheights/dscience.html
This one is $170 plus a $10 lab fee http://homepage.mac.com/southheights/dscience.html

And all of them also require registration fees of $25 to $45, plus late fees if you don't pay in advance. AND, you need to buy all the books.

To the original poster, maybe those links will give you some ideas for working out your plans?
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane now
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (18) hs 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014); always used MFW
Alexandra (27) hs from 10th grade (2002); mother
Travis (30) never hs; engineer in CO
Julie in MN

Unread postby Amy C. » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:40 pm

Julie in MN wrote:One charges $200 per semester http://www.yeahacademy.net/physicalscience.htm
This one is $203 per semester for Physical http://homepage.mac.com/southheights/dscience.html
This one is $170 plus a $10 lab fee http://homepage.mac.com/southheights/dscience.html

And all of them also require registration fees of $25 to $45, plus late fees if you don't pay in advance. AND, you need to buy all the books.

%| 8O %|

WOW!!!

Thanks for the links, Julie, but wow! on the prices! That is eye-opening!

Thanks to Charlene as well. Those are more my kind of prices! ;)

Amy C.
Amy C.

Unread postby inHisgrip » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:19 pm

We have been part of a co-op for the Jr. Apologia Astronomy this year, and it has been nothing short of awesome. My friend who started it has one child and wanted to do the curriculum with him so she asked if anyone would be interested in doing it with them. Through word of mouth she ended up with 35 students and ended up having to split up into two classes (morning and afternoon).

The class lasts the whole traditional school year, once a week with holidays off. The class consists of 20 minutes of lecture, 20 minutes of notebooking, and three 20 minute labs that the kids rotate through. In each class there are three tables and the kids are divided by age. One table with kids ages 5-6, one ages 7-8, and one ages 9-12 (??). It works great, and the kids stay in those groups when they rotate through the labs. The mom that is leading it is a complete science geek and radiates her love for science to the kids (and to the parents!). She holds the classes in her home (she's the most hospitable person I've ever met). She does the lectures and the notebooking with the kids. Then the other parents rotate weeks and help with labs. We got together twice during the year to prep the notebooking. It was a fun time of fellowship and getting to know each other better while cutting and prepping all the notebooking things.

She charged $150 for the first child in each family, and $75 for each additional child in the same family (this charge is for the whole year). All this money went toward notebooking and supplies for the labs.

We just got an email to sign up for Botany next year. She's hoping to go through the whole series. My kids have loved the class. They have made some great friendships and so have I. It is an afternoon away from home, but for me it's totally worth it. When it's not my week for labs I'm able to get our weekly library trip and grocery shopping done with my two year old while class is going on. Our family has always followed MFW recommendations for everything, and at first it was difficult for me to have them do Astronomy while we are doing ECC, but they are getting so much out of the class that I just had to get over that ;) .

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but I thought I would share what has worked for us, and what a blessing this class has been for us. Praying God leads you to the best solution for you family!

Amy N.
Married since 98 to my best friend
ds 2003
dd 2005
angel baby October 2008
ds 2009
http://www.threejohnfour.blogspot.com
inHisgrip

Unread postby mom2boys » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Our coop registration fee depends on if the parent teaches a class or not. $60 per family per semester if you do not teach a class, $45 per family per semester if you teach 1 class, $40 per semester if you teach 2 classes. Another advantage of teaching is that you get to register first before those who do not teach. There is also a lab fee of $10 for General & Physical Science and $30 for Biology & Chemistry. Interesting to see how other coops are set up!
~Charlotte
loving my Hubby and 3 sons 16, 13, 7
Used MFW since 2004
mom2boys

Return to 6th to 8th grade Archive