RTR - Weeks 6 & 7

If you are using Rome to the Reformation, please share your ideas with us.

RTR - Weeks 6 & 7

Unread postby Marie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:26 am

Weeks 6 & 7.
Marie

Week 6: RTR arch question (pudding boxes?)

Unread postby Archiver2 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:42 am

kellybell wrote:Hi all,

We're really looking forward to doing RTR this year. I read ahead some and see we're making an arch out of pudding mix boxes. Well, today's paper has those individual cereal boxes on sale for less than $2 an eight-pack. That's cheaper than pudding boxes and the dc's would love them on our upcoming campout!

I was wondering if the individual cereal boxes (they are all the same size) would work for this arch project, or does it HAVE to be the pudding boxes?

Thanks for the insight!

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:42 pm
Author: cbollin

It might. There is one part of me that wants to say --- that would be a great experiment to compare how they would work. The cereal boxes are a little bit bigger than pudding boxes.

Here's the story of the pudding boxes. The Hazells are geting the Roman Arch project going. They find some instructions that involve an electric knife and foam rubber. I don't think so, says David. So, off to the grocery store he goes with the kids. As David tells this story, he sends them up and down aisles. They got about $400 worth of groceries just to try to find the right size boxes. The pudding boxes worked best for them. Just remember with pudding to mark the packet with the flavor so you don't make mystery flavor pudding for a few weeks. At least with cereal, you can usually see through to tell if it is cheerios or frosted flakes.

From our house files: we didn't make an arch. We went to the local science center and built one with their foam rubber blocks that were pre cut. So --- uh hmmm well, I never claimed that I did ALL the good stuff in RTR. :) (I'll get better)

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:20 pm
Author: Lucy

I think they may work. Whatever you use they do need to be all the same size. Also when you get to this in the book they will suggest covering them with sandpaper. I highly reccommend this for a fool proof project. Have a great year.
Archiver2

Unread postby Julie in MN » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:01 pm

* The hymn by Haydn/Newton for Tuesday is also in Then Sings My Soul.

* If you are a little out-of-order by this point, as we were, then be sure not to miss the connection between all the aqueduct pieces throughout this week -- Monday's history, Wednesday vocab, & Thursday science. (My mistake: Since ds doesn't like to color, I allowed him to make his own page on aqueducts, but he seemed like he didn't understand it. I didn't realize we hadn't covered all of the topic yet because we were ahead in science or something like that.)

* Also don't miss the drawings of arch bridges in the teacher's manual -- as noted in the manual, they are so much more accurate than the drawing lesson this week!
Last edited by Julie in MN on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julie in MN

WE NEED HELP W/ THE ROMAN ARCH PROJECT.....

Unread postby Bret Welshymer » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:53 am

Tricia Croke wrote:I'm feeling VERY dense right now :(

We are not understanding the directions for the Roman arch. We emptied out the boxes and cut the flaps off the opened end of each pud. box-but do we cut ALL the pudding boxes down the side?? The directions say to collapse the open end and tape narrower side--what does that mean?? We cannot figure out where to tape or how we are to collapse the boxes. Do we stand the cereal boxes upright or lay them down?? If the cereal boxes are upright-are the cans on top of the cereal boxes?? The directions say to set one pudding box on each cereal box, with the narrow sides facing each other?? Next to the cans?? WHERE? HOW? HELP!!!

It's just not clicking in my brain. We would really like to do this project. Thank you for listening

Here are a few tips-

Cereal Box: Place the cereal box flat on the table with the largest side flat on the table.

Cans: Place one can toward the center of each cereal box

Pudding boxes: After cutting the flaps off of one end of the box, cut a slit down the center of both of the narrow sides of the box. The slit will go from the open end to the closed end of the box. Then squeeze the open end of the box together until the two sides touch each other. Tape the open end of the box. Now one end of the box is narrower than the other end.

Here is the MFW photo of the Roman Arch Bridge and Keystone:

I hope this helps.
Bret Welshymer

Roman arch with pudding boxes

Unread postby neondee » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:34 pm

We made our arch this week and I was really worried it was not going to work well, especially since I don't have the patience to cover all the boxes with sandpaper.

I did decide; however, to have the kids paint the boxes with a matte paint. We used grey so they looked more like stones and also used a sponge to dab the paint on, which gave the boxes a bit of texture so they weren't slick. It worked great. The arch went together quite easily.

We used large books of equal size since I didn't have 2 boxes of cereal the same size. If I get a chance I will post a pict. Thanks MFW, we are really enjoying this school year.
neondee

Unread postby sewardmom » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:56 pm

We are still trying to get ours to stand on its own. I like the paint idea. I wonder if the texture of the paint would help the boxes to stay put better.... hmmm.

~Terri
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....
sewardmom

Roman Arch box sizes

Unread postby Archiver2 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:15 pm

sewardmom wrote:For those who have built the Roman Arch with boxes, Will jello boxes work (they are slightly smaller than puddling boxes)? I am wondering if it is easier with larger boxes? If so, I can go with the pudding boxes.... (on sale now at Walgreens....)
~Terri

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:36 pm
Author: dhudson

That's what I used!

Oh, I also found some awesome wooden block toys at our local learning toy store that were packaged to make your own roman arch. They were great! They are called, "Haba Roman Arch Building Block Set" and are also available at amazon.com

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:55 pm
Author: mamaofredheads

Terri, I think the key is that all the boxes have to be the same size...you can't use some small ones & some larger ones.

It's actually quite challenging to get it assemble. We used the small pudding boxes. That would seem easiest to me. Picture trying to hold each side up while you're putting the top in - smaller was better for us. :)

My boys LOVED this activity! We took it to our home school group for our History Fair & the kids there loved it too. Enjoy! RTR is a great year!!

I would definitely recommend the sandpaper. It helped them stay together much better. It also looked more authentic for the history fair.

We just had chocolate pudding Sat. from our "stash". I had to ask a friend how much milk to use because I didn't have any boxes for directions. :)

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:17 pm
Author: Q-father

We used all small except the 2 large it tell you at the bottom. We didn't do sand paper but i think it would "hold" together much better if you do.

Another idea I heard was to spread glue on the boxes then cover them in sand - just plain old sand. let it dry, the texture helps them hold together as you are stacking them!

There are lots of great hands on ideas in the Roman empire book for other activities too. My kids really enjoyed making an aqueduct out of cereal boxes and a paper towel roll!

We are still eating jello :) but it was fun!
Amy

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:18 pm
Author: DS4home

We used the jello boxes too. I left them in the living room to play with for a couple of weeks, so they made a few Roman arches. Sometimes they were standing up, but many were just laying down so they could see the arch coming together - but it didn't have to support itself. Very fun project!!

Dawn
Archiver2

Error in some editions - R to R and week 7: letter scheduled

Unread postby Lisa M » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:55 pm

I am preparing for fall and we will be in R to R. I have the new edition. In the preparation section it lists that, beginning week 7, there will be a letter scheduled on Fridays. But it isn't in the weekly lessons plans/grid or notes. Should we be doing a letter, but it didn't get written in the plans? Or should we not schedule the letter, because it shouldn't have been mentioned in the preparation notes? Thanks!

Julie in MN wrote:Okay Lisa, you got me curious. I opened up my RTR manual from several years back. I saw the paragraph you've described and I saw... no letters on the grids.

Good catch! We started with ECC and CTG, and I guess we were just used to writing letters by the time we got to RTR and just kept on going. It's one of my ds's favorite things to read in his old notebooks -- the letters he wrote (and received) at different ages.

I suppose that somewhere along the way, Marie decided there was enough language arts in RTR and she took off the letters? There are more word roots and notebook pages and such.

But letters are good, too, if you like :o)
Julie

Thanks for the response...so I'm not just going crazy...

Lisa
DD gr. 7 ECC
DD gr. 9 MFW HS Yr 1
DS gr.11 MFW HS year 3
DD 2013 Valedictorian from a tiny PS after 10 years home school
Lisa M

The Roman Arch Worked!!!!

Unread postby TriciaMR » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:39 pm

I'm so excited! We did the Roman Arch project. I was skeptical, but...

I love it when a hands on project works. No glue, no sandpaper. And, I had to use those corrugated cardboard bricks rather than cereal boxes. By the time we were done, the bricks were 5 3/4 inches apart, rather than 6 1/2.

Postby TriciaMR » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:49 pm

Thanks for the compliments... We set it up several time since (once to prove to ourselves that it wasn't a fluke, once to show dad, etc).

We gave all of our pudding away to people at church - e-mailing the directions to them. DD has dairy allergy, so even though some of the flavors are diary free (we tried mixing with soy milk, it never set), they wouldn't work for us.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(14), Charlie(10), and Trent(10)
2010-2011 - 1st & RTR
2011-2012 - EXP1850 w/ 2nd/3rd supplement
2012-2013 - 1850MOD w/ 2nd/3rd supplement
2013-2014 - ECC w/ 7th/8th supplement
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
My blog
TriciaMR

Re: The Roman Arch Worked!!!!

Unread postby Pylegang » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:08 pm

AWESOME! Your arch looks great!

Last school year we did our Roman Arch. I didn't want to buy 15 puddings, so we did the same type of activity, but we used stones and clay. Here is a link to my blog detailing what we did if anyone is interesed in an alternate activity:

http://myclassicalhomeschool.blogspot.c ... eek-6.html
--Angela
Homeschooling classically since 2000--DS grade 6 and DS grade 4.

Pylegang

Roman Arch

Unread postby tndtanaka » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:15 pm

I would suggest that you do not substitute the recommended pudding box. I didn't want the artificial flavors and ingredients of the pudding (and I felt wasteful throwing them in the trash) so I purchased some pudding boxes from our health food store. The boxes were considerably longer and narrower. When we went to make the arch we didn't have enough boxes and I couldn't accurately estimate how many more to get-it looked like quite a few. I ended up running to the store for the original boxes and we will try again. $15 wasted but hopefully I can save someone else the trouble. :-)

P.S. We just made the arch today with the small pudding boxes and it went together on the first try without sandpaper! If I would have had trouble I would have stuck a few pieces of double stick tape between some of the boxes. The arch was exactly 6 1/2 inches wide as stated in the directions. I laid the arch out flat and assembled it first to measure and verify the width. Fun project!
Attachments
Copy of P1000360(4).JPG
Copy of P1000360(4).JPG (63.75 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
Dianne
MFW since K
currently teaching RTR and 1st
tndtanaka

BRIDGES - book recommendation

Unread postby MelissaB » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:10 pm

For the hands-on project loving students, Bridges! Amazing Structures to Design, Build and Test by Carol Johmann and Elizabeth J. Rieth is a really fun book.

Also, Built to Last by David Macaulay is a large book w/ full-page illustrations of historical castles, cathedrals, bridges and mosques, with brief paragraphs on each page telling how the giant structure was built and why (structurally) it's lasted so long. Very interesting book, and esp. great for those engineering minds. :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Completed K/ECC; CTG/1st; RTR; Expl.-1850.
Enjoying 1850-Mod.
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4
MelissaB

Return to Ideas - Rome to the Reformation