RTR - Weeks 1 & 2

If you are using Rome to the Reformation, please share your ideas with us.

RTR - Weeks 1 & 2

Unread postby Marie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:27 am

Weeks 1 & 2.
Marie

Week 1 Bible Project

Unread postby my 2 sons » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:31 am

Postby my 2 sons » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:40 pm
Week 1 RTR. Upgraded Bible Project. How the Bible came to us pg. 2.

I made the books as per directions but made it so the tray in the match-box can slide in and out. I then cut the books of the Bible list and put them into the match box books they belong in. This way you can actually open up the match-box books and see whats inside.
my 2 sons

Week 1 - jello & grape substitutes for Science

Unread postby Archiver2 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:37 am

4Truth wrote:Does the gelatin we use for the first science experiment (the cell) have to be lemon flavored, or does it matter? We were supposed to do the lemon gelatin thing yesterday, but for some reason I missed it when prepping for the week and didn't have lemon flavored on hand. So I wondered if lime would work, or if there was a special reason lemon was mentioned.

Posted Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:02 pm by kellybell
I personally think lemon flavored cells are the best. No, you don't have to use lemon, but it is a light color and is easy to see through. I'm guessing just about any jello flavor would work. Or, the flavorless Knox stuff would work too.

My kids loved making the cell. One of my favorite homeschool memories is when my 5.5 year old went to the doctor for something (can't remember what, so I guess it wasn't a big deal) and the PA (not quite a doctor) that we see (she's not adverse to homeschooling, thankfully!) asked Stephanie what she was learning in homeschool and Stephanie said, "cells." The PA asked what she learned about cells and Stephanie said (with her little five year old lispy voice), "they are little and have endoplasmic reticulum." The PA's jaw dropped.

Enjoy your cell making!

Posted Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:22 pm by nehschooler2three
We made ours yesterday! I didn't see the lemon word in my teachers manual, and thought oh i've got jello at home. Well all we had was strawberry, and it really worked fine! the kids loved it!

Posted Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:24 pm by 4Truth
Well, we ended up doing two... one with lemon and one with lime. Guess I didn't need the lemon after all, because the girls ate the lime jello afterwards... they didn't like the lemon! LOL!

So after all that agonizing over lemon jello, we finally get to the experiment and guess what.. NO GRAPES! We *had* grapes, but I didn't realize someone had finished them off. So we used blueberries. ;o) Sheesh.
Archiver2

Notes from our first weeks of RTR

Unread postby Julie in MN » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:52 pm

* In weeks 1 & 2, the materials lists include several types of dried peas & beans. My grocery store had a bag of mixed beans that covered all of these & more.

* Math-U-See Delta has two lessons on Roman numerals and some good info in their teacher's manual, if you can borrow it from someone.

* Also there is a page on Roman numerals in the back of English From the Roots Up that I forgot about. This was a great topic for us!

* If you want to photocopy the Augustus Caesar's World for a child who does *not* want to color but only uses it for reference, it can all fit on one page if you set the copier at 75%.

* Date we used for Julius Caesar notebook page: ~49 BC
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane now
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (18) hs 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014); always used MFW
Alexandra (27) hs from 10th grade (2002); mother
Travis (30) never hs; engineer in CO
Julie in MN

RtR week 1--bible library & clay tablets

Unread postby Tina » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:30 pm

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:15 am
We did the little craft in How the Bible Came to Us with the match boxes for the bible library. Here's how I made it work:

I couldn't find a large matchbox that fit just six small boxes in it, so I bought six toothpick boxes instead. They didn't fit in the large match box either. So, we decided to just use the toothpick boxes.

We were looking at the toothpick boxes trying to decide how we would cover them, because we didn't have sticky brown paper. Well, we turned the toothpick boxes inside out! It worked! they unfold so easily and fold back up, inside out, so nicely. They are cardboard colored on the inside and we just turned the whole thing inside out.

My son colored the sides of them with a color that matched the words on each spine "the law", "history", songs and poems", etc.

We then took little slips of paper and wrote the names of all the books on each slip and placed it into the right "drawer" or box. Having each book of the bible that belongs to that particular group is neat too. Makes for great memory games.

We turned this into a game where we take out all the books, put them face-down onto a table and draw from them and have to place the book into the correct box. This was neat. We already know the books of the bible, but now the children are learning where they are grouped, and hopefully, a better grasp on knowing all the books.

Funny how these small things can excite a homeschool mom! We were going to skip this activity, but I'm glad we put our heads together and made the toothpick boxes work. This is the stuff that homeschooling is made up of!

I hope the tooth pick boxes work for others too!

Oh, and we read today in How the Bible Came to Us "clay to books" and this was cool because the kids saw their clay tablets in there! I love the way it all fits together so well!

PS on the clay tablets, the three year olds need them too, don't forget about the little ones!
Tina

vocabulary

Unread postby DS4home » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:46 pm

This year I bought those little 2 ring binders made for index cards. This was what we used for our vocabulary cards with English from the Roots Up. They stored nicely in the kids cubbies, better than the index card box that we had used the year before. Just thought I'd pass that storage idea along.

Dawn
Celebrating our 24th Anniversary this year <3
Amber (HS Grad & Married), Carmen (HS Grad & in college), Nathan (11th), & Bethany (5th).

2014: RTR & Synergy Group
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(piloted), and WHL
DS4home

writing tablet

Unread postby DS4home » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:59 pm

I want to encourage everyone to do this fun project! We ended up using it several times throughout the year. My husband helped me cut and glue them together the night before. We made one per child. The next day the kids got to press the clay in and make the cover. For our fabric cover we used a piece of colored felt ( 8 1/2 X 11 ) trimmed to fit. They turned out fabulous!!
Celebrating our 24th Anniversary this year <3
Amber (HS Grad & Married), Carmen (HS Grad & in college), Nathan (11th), & Bethany (5th).

2014: RTR & Synergy Group
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(piloted), and WHL
DS4home

Idea for Week 2....Wednesday

Unread postby southernshae » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:19 pm

I thought I'd pass along a sort of "impromptu" addition we did to RTR week 2 on Wednesday. After reading the short text in Streams "The Power of Public Speaking," I asked ds (12 going into 7thgrade) if he'd like to plan and give a speech in hopes of swaying us to his side. His eyes literally lit up........this ds loves all things like this! The one condition I set forth was that I wanted him to speak on something that we either were not well informed about or were neutral about.

Since this ds is very interested in government and politics, I see that this study is going to be great for him going onto little bunny trails as we study Rome. He always wants to dig deeper (and does it mostly independently), so I've also asked him to research one of the projects (not scheduled by MFW but in the streams text) about comparing a democracy and a republic. (#3 from chapter 7). He presented it orally and we all learned a lot.

Just wanted to pass this along in case any of you have dc that are overly interested in government/politcs. (Ds is now asking who he can have a debate with...LOL!)

Southernshae
4 dc (3 in ps, 1 dc at home)
MFW1 ...slowly.. with ds
Past user of MFW1, ADV, and ECC
southernshae

Non-Hardening Clay

Unread postby Archiver2 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:56 am

HSmommi2mine wrote:We just started R2R and need non-hardening clay for a project this week. What is it exactly? I can find air drying clay in a big tub and little (expensive!) sticks of non- hardening clay in multicolor packs but what I really need is a big tub of non-hardening clay. Any ideas?

Posted Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:52 am by Julie in MN
They had some at Dick Blicks, a local art store.

But I always just grab whatever we have. It never seems really crucial to the projects we've done.

Posted Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:00 am by cbollin
For that activity I think we just used the cheap modeling clay, like Rose Art. about $1 or $2 for a box of 4 colors.

It was enough for the activity to be fun even if it wasn't perfect.

Posted Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:35 pm by mamaofredheads
We used the same type Crystal did. If I remember correctly, I found it at Walmart but had to do some searching as everything was the hardening kind. My boys still pull their tablets out sometimes. They were also a big hit at our home school group's history night.

Glenna
Archiver2

Re: RTR - Weeks 1 & 2 Writing Tablet

Unread postby NCMom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:39 pm

Instead of cutting up a box to make the frame, I used the tops and bottoms of small greeting card boxes.
They measured approx. 7 1/2"x5 1/2". I had four kids making these, so this was much easier than cutting separate frames for everyone.
HTH,
Nancy C
NCMom

Re: RTR - Weeks 1 & 2

Unread postby bbs-mom » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:15 am

We made the Bible library but I didn't want to spend the money to buy a bunch of match boxes or toothpicks. I know they don't cost much but everything adds up. So I saved up raising boxes. We just wrapped them with construction paper like a present and then put paper with lines drawn on around three edges to look like pages. They were big enough that we were able to write each of the books of the bible that are included in that category. We then just set them on our shelf. I will say though we used 7 boxes instead of 6. The book mentions Revelations as its own category so we made a book just for that.
bbs-mom

Re: RTR - Weeks 1 & 2

Unread postby cbollin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:07 pm

making cell: we used the pre made jello that comes 4 little containers for a dollar. It was red color. worked fine and was quick to use. Opened one of the pre made containers, dumped it in the bag, add a grape (but we could have used a marble if needed), squish it. Add in a frozen pea, and a dried bean from around here somewhere (maybe it was a sunflower seed?). Even tossed in a piece of ribbon (plastic from something we opened) to be the endoplasmic reticulum. Then we could eat the other containers. Maybe not as environmentally friendly with the extra plastic, but it was quick, easy and doable.

Then, I thought, hmmm.... I see a bunch of left over sweet and sour sauce from the last time we had Chinese take out. That was gelled and worked too. It was in a plastic tub (membrane), drop in a grape. quick, easy and fun demo.

Making the match box library even more simple: we used 6 small boxes and didn't have to use any kind of construction paper. There was a side on each box that had no writing, so it was easy to use a pencil and just write the words on there. No problem. Then, I grabbed an empty tea bag box to put the match boxes in. Filled in the extra space from the tea bag box with the altar from CTG tabernacle since it was still around the desk, and wrote "God's Word" on it.

Then took time to remind my middle gal about MFW's missions fund, God's Word for the Nations.
Here's a pic.
rtr week 1 matches.jpg
rtr week 1 matches.jpg (48.26 KiB) Viewed 5959 times
cbollin

Head's Up: Book Basket List Author Typos in some editions

Unread postby TriciaMR » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:22 pm

I was online searching for Books, and found a couple of typos in the Week 2 book basket list of authors' names.

Shelley Tanak should be Shelly Tanaka
    Anna Harwell Colenza should be Anna Harwell Celenza

Should make it easier for others trying to find those books!

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(14), Charlie(10), and Trent(10)
2010-2011 - 1st & RTR
2011-2012 - EXP1850 w/ 2nd/3rd supplement
2012-2013 - 1850MOD w/ 2nd/3rd supplement
2013-2014 - ECC w/ 7th/8th supplement
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
My blog
TriciaMR

Writing tablet

Unread postby tndtanaka » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:16 pm

I have such a challenge making the time for all the hands on projects in previous years. I have decided to make this year different and try to do as many as I can. I wanted to encourage other homeschoolers to make the time for this one. It is fun and the kids loved the finished product. (Even though I am on week 3 we did this today and I am very glad we did)

These turned out great. It is well worth the effort to do. I would make the following suggestions that made the project fun for us.

We used a hot melt glue gun. The cardboard pieces glued on instantly and securely.

In addition to taping the cardboard pieces together with packing tape, I tied a pencil- sharpened chopstick with twine and taped the twine to the packing tape on the binding. This way the stylus won't get lost.

We used a rolling pin on a cutting board to get the clay at an even thickness. After the clay spread out in a circle I cut it to the rectangular shape with a knife and the kids pressed them into the frames.

We used felt squares cut to fit and hot glued them to the front and back for a finished look.
Dianne
MFW since K
currently teaching RTR and 1st
tndtanaka

"Wax" Writing Tablets

Unread postby TurnOurHearts » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:05 pm

We had so much fun making these this week! :) We used the top of a pizza box for our form, RoseArt non-hardening modeling clay from Walmart (the large pack), and one wooden skewer per child for a stylus (already pointed on the end). I made a mistake & didn't cut out covers for our tablets but we decided they didn't have to have them (thank you, my gracious children...). After the picture below was taken, the children decorated the frames with markers and we punched a hole through one corner. We tied string through the hole & attached it to the stylus so it wouldn't be lost. GREAT, EASY, FUN activity ~ my kids & I had a BLAST!

Paige

Wife to Josh (15 years),
Mom to Max (13) & Halle (11)
Used MFWK, MFW1, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR; Using Ex1850
TurnOurHearts

Re: First Day Shout Out

Unread postby schelean » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:35 pm

We started today. My kids had fun experiencing a typical Roman school day. We went to a local grocery store that has all kinds of different foods. We enjoyed a mix of Greek, Roman, and Mediterranean food. We brought the leftovers home and had them for supper also. It was 109 in east Texas today. It just makes sense to be inside doing school. Thank you MFW for a great first day.
Schelean in Texas
MFW user since 2006
Exp-1850 w/dd 11& K w/ds 6
schelean

Re: First Day Shout Out

Unread postby Jklivin » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:21 pm

We also started on the 1st and had a good first week.
I also did the Toga. I had DH help try to pin me and he wasn't impressed with my attempt :) However my kids thought it was GREAT and it helped turn a morning of complaints (not wanting to start school) into a fun filled morning.

We also did the Roman Feast... lunch at a local Greek restaurant. My DS9 who we usually fight with to try new food willingly tried all the different things we ordered.
Donita in FL
Mom to DS 9, DD 7 and Baby#3 due Jan 2012
1st year with MFW
going against recommendations and starting with RTR
Jklivin

CELLS

Unread postby MelissaB » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:58 pm

Great for studying cells - Lots of games:

http://www.centreofthecell.org/centre/i ... id=26&ks=2
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Completed K/ECC; CTG/1st; RTR; Expl.-1850.
Enjoying 1850-Mod.
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4
MelissaB

RTR Bible craft - matchboxes

Unread postby cbollin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:27 am

momtogc wrote:Has anyone used an alternative of any kind to do the "Bible Library" craft on RTR Week 1 from How the Bible Came to Us? I didn't buy matchboxes because I didn't know what I would do with all those matches. But I really want us to do the activity so any suggestions for another way?

Thanks!
Meleasa

We have matches for candles and when we need them in various science experiments. so.. that's the case for buying one of those boxes. aww.. isn't this cute... I have a picture and you got to read how I modified.. go on... here... I'm so giggling now.. that is so me.. let's make it even more simple. oh the other post on thread.. giggle... jello and old sweet and sour gel. ewwwwwwwwww LOL LOL LOL
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4809#p63400

ok.. .that's not what you wanted to hear.... so, as I glance over on that shelf where the picture was taken, I see these days a set of DVD cases together and wrapped an outer box shell. that might work to have 6 dvd (or cd) cases especially if they are part of a series (all of the veggie tales together, or all of the exercise stuff, or hey.. star wars right?) , and then wrap something around them to show they belong together.

another crazy idea... do you Rosetta Stone box? open up that, and instead you have the disk folders. that's only trifold, so you have to use front and back for the Bible books labels... but that could work for the visual.... or if you have a cd holder with sleeves? look around your house for stuff like that ... do you have maybe a book series in an outer box? our narnia set came in one...

whaddya think?
momtogc wrote:Thanks! I read your post and the one above it where someone talked about using raisin boxes. I just happen to have eight of the little mini raisin boxes. Perfect. I'll look around to see if I can find something they will fit in to hold them together. I just needed to think outside the box! ; ) Thanks again!

ooh.. raisin box. I like that... perfect.

thinking outside the raisin box with you... if you can't find a box to put them in..
*make one from old cereal box or pasta box before trash/recycle shows up
*who needs a box? use duct tape
*nah.. God's Word is a gift... use ribbon to tie them together.
*build a lego shelter around them.

momtogc wrote:Ah yes, God's Word is a gift. Ribbon is appealing! Great ideas! Many thanks!
cbollin

Return to Ideas - Rome to the Reformation