Updates - MFW-1st revised/Learning God's Story

My Father's World First Grade (previous version)

Updates - MFW-1st revised/Learning God's Story

Unread postby Archiver2 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:56 am

Updates to MFW-1st, revision

A major revision of first grade is now available [March 2013], with a new look and a new titleLearning God's Story. Improvements include:
* New grid lesson plan charts for each week, similar to our other programs
* More hands-on activities
* Expanded Bible lessons
* Revised sequence of phonics lessons, with some new lessons added, giving more time to confidently master specific skills in the first months
* Math integrated into the weekly charts with easier to follow plans and many new hands-on activities
* Exploration Day on Friday
* Deluxe items scheduled in the lesson plans
* Weekly materials list

Student Sheets are essentially the same as before but now include:
* Some new math sheets, such as addition exploration and weather chart / graph
* Some new reading activity sheets with new artwork

The Student Workbook is essentially the same as before with the following changes:
* Revised sequence for many phonics lessons
* Pages are now assigned (and labeled) by Week and Day
* Some new pages and artwork

The Bible Reader and Bible Notebook are the same, with new covers.

You can select Deluxe or Basic, which include our newly designed hands-on, age-appropriate math lessons and manipulatives. New resources in the packages include:
* My Big Book of 5-Minute Devotions: Celebrating God's World (new in Basic)
* Additional math manipulatives — Unifix® Cubes, small geared clock, Horizontal Addition and Subtraction Flashcards (new in Basic)
* Enjoying Art Together (new set of 20 sturdy art cards in Deluxe)
* New activity sheets in our Student Sheets for Peter and the Wolf music CD

Note: The Student Sheets and Student Workbook for our revised first grade, Learning God's Story, cannot be used with the first edition of My Father's World First Grade.
Archiver2

Updates to MFW-1st

Unread postby cbollin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:23 pm

Math Schedule

kfromm wrote:We will be starting MFW 1st grade in about a month. Reading through the message boards, I realize that I have an older curriculum which does not have the yellow pages with the math schedule/grid.

1. The manuals since late 2005 included the "yellow grid". so, I'd get a newer manual. some of the oldest manuals floating on the used market don't even have the math and science literature selection. yikes. I did MFW 1st grade in 2005 when the yellow sheets were stapled together. So, I decided this time around, that I'd just get a new manual for the next kid. Well worth it.

2. But if you use the math that is scheduled as daily math routine in your older manual, your child will be fine. It was fine back then.

3. The yellow grid scheduled the deluxe items for math into the main program. You can add Complete Book of Math as extra workbook without it being scheduled and just do the topics in the order of the book in 2 rotations and plan to not do all pages the first time. keep it informal.

4. then the other item from deluxe you can do once a week on Exploration Day. Instructions for that are in that book itself. (Pattern animals).

-crystal
cbollin

Re: Updates to MFW-1st - Math Schedule

Unread postby courthart246 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:47 pm

My TM has the latest copyright as 2001. I'm pretty sure I bought it in 2005. I did it with my oldest ds. Mine were purple. Well, the front page is purple and the rest are white. The front says "My Father's World Weekly Guide for First Grade Math". The following pages are a grid with Day 1, Day 2, etc... and the assignments for each day. The copyright on it is 2005. So there ends your trivia wonders. I'm assuming this is what you have, Crystal, just packaged differently? Whatever it is, it fits with what I have , so I will definitely be using it! This will be a new approach for me, as I did a different math with my older ds in 1st and 2nd grade. Looks good though, and I'm sure we'll like it.
Courtney
Married 17 Years to Jamie
Loving MFW along with my three kids:
ds - 13
ds - 10 (Creation to Greeks)
dd - 7 (Creation to Greeks)
courthart246

mfw first grade, has it ever been updated?

Unread postby cbollin » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:51 am

momofsix wrote:I used an older edition of 1st grade. I'm just curious if the first grade curriculum has ever been updated. I seem to think I remember someone mentioning this once ... but I could be dreaming :~
Thanks

Several ways to answer that question depending on your individual situation:

*if you have a manual and have already used it successfully with one child, you can get the student materials packet and should be just fine. I know I bought my manual in 2005 for middle child. and for this year, I bought student materials for same manual and it is fine.

*will the program be changed in the future? God knows if/when they will. I'd like to see it organized with a few tweaks. not much,just a few little tweaks. I'm spoiled by the rest of the years in MFW and would like that extra "spoiling" in first grade for those who use it in the future.

but maybe this is the answer you need for the situation you're in (maybe not)
*Here is how to know if you are buying a too old manual on used market that isn't a bargain.

---There should be a list of math and science literature books in the appendix. Some "bargain" used manuals out there don't have those. Just don't buy those. Demand the info upfront from your seller. I can't tell you the number of times I hear in cyber space that someone wishes they hadn't purchased a cheap MFW 1st grade manual on the used market because those pages and the math deluxe schedule aren't there. No, MFW doesn't sell just those pages and they shouldn't "have" to either in my opinion. (side note: it just means you have to be willing to do more work yourself to do that stuff. but,you can look on the first grade ideas forum for hints. But just beware ahead of time of those trade offs)

So learn from those used buying experiences. But I think those literature lists were added around the year 2004 or so? don't quote me on that one. They weren't part of the very first manuals printed, but were in there by 2005.

---And in 2005, there was the addition (pun intended) of the deluxe math program items and scheduling and it is on yellow sheets at the front of the the manual. If the manual doesn't have those pages, and it doesn't have the literature section, it is not a deal on the used market. Some "bargain" used manuals out there have the math/science literature books, but not the yellow math deluxe program. MFW first grade has always had hands on math included, but in 2005 the "deluxe math" was put in. (that's Pattern Blocks and book, Complete Book of Math, and a good schedule for when to use games in the manual and all of it... the yellow schedule is not just and only when to use pattern blocks and Complete Book of Math...))

So, as far as my limited knowledge... the last major update on the first grade program was in 2005 with the addition of the math deluxe items and schedule. Most years will have minor updates (where they find a typo and clean it up).

coffee's ready. Hope something helped.

-crystal
cbollin

Re: 1st - Big Book of Books and Activities

Unread postby Lucy Robertson » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi Christy,

Are you seeing this recommendation in the Appendix of Recommended Supplements?

Lucy
MFW Board Moderator

Wife to Lee
Mom to Twila 20 and Noel 18, Used MFW Fall 2002-Spring 2013
Both MFW graduates, now attending college
Lucy Robertson

1st - Big Book of Books and Activities

Unread postby Lucy Robertson » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:32 pm

MercyMamma wrote:In the back of the 1st grade manual it mentions The Big Book of Books and Activities by Dinah Zike. It looks like a cool book that tells you how to make all sorts of foldy things, lapbookish. Does the curriculum point out times that would be good to make a foldy book of facts, or am I going to have to remember I have this book and fit it in? Has anyone used this?

cbollin wrote:the page is called "other resources"
in my manual, this is page 221 (I have an older version so page numbers might not match....)
in my copy it's the page before "reading games pages"
lots of other cool stuff on there with handbooks, video, poems. etc. and the Dinah Zike book
-crystal

This page of "extra" resources was removed from the Teacher's Manual several years ago because, since the Deluxe package had been added and these resources were not included in the plans, we felt there was enough without adding any extras. We did not want families to feel they had to add these items to complete the curriculum and they were not scheduled in any way in the Teacher's Manual.

I personally am not familiar with the resource you have mentioned so I can not comment on its usefulness. As Crystal mentioned if you have this list and want to add some of these resources they are great but do not feel you have to add anything else unless you want to.

Lucy
MFW Board Moderator

Wife to Lee
Lucy Robertson

Re: 1st - Big Book of Books and Activities

Unread postby MercyMamma » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:36 pm

jasntas wrote:I looked this book up online and it's not available new, as far as I could tell. It wasn't available through my library system and there was a very long waiting list for it on paperbackswap dot com. I guess I don't really 'need' it. I think I'm a bit like Julie and 'love' to collect books. ;)

MercyMamma, did you already own this book?

I did get the Big Book of Books and Activities from Dinah's website and its great! It basically has instructions for making all sorts of little mini books.

We are loving this resource! I posted a review on my blog here including photos of some fun things we made:
http://onelittlewordsheknew.blogspot.co ... eview.html
Christy, mom to Lucy, Julia, and Esther
starting 1st in the fall
MercyMamma

1st Grade - Zondervan Pictorial Encycl...???

Unread postby Dusenkids » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:58 pm

cookislandmommy wrote:Does anyone know the ISBN of the book referred to on page 18 of the teacher's guide for 1st grade?
I can find Zondervan Encyclopaedia of the Bible...but nothing with the word "pictorial" in it,

I have not done 1st so I have no idea if this is what you are looking for but I saw "full color" in the title
http://rdtwot.wordpress.com/2009/10/31/the-zondervan-encyclopedia-of-the-bible-revised-full-color-edition/

Part of the description: "The Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible is a revision of the Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible published in 1975 which was a work inspired by the 1963 Zondervan Pictorial Bible Dictionary."

?HTH?

cookislandmommy wrote:Thanks heaps :)
Martie
Married to Nathan 8 years
Ethan 6 (MFW 1), Aidan 5 (MFW K)
Ian 3, Evan 2, and baby Owan
Dusenkids

Drawing With Children 10th anniversary edition, which pa

Unread postby gratitude » Tue May 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Calicokat7 wrote:I just realized that the page numbers the 1st grade TM I have probably don't match because the Drawing with Children book I have is a revised and expanded 10th anniversary edition. Could someone point me to the listing of pages to photocopy in DWC? Thanks!

Do you have the current MFW 1 TM? If you do the pages in the TM do match the expanded 10th Anniversary Edition; since this is the drawing edition I received with the current TM.

Now if you have an older TM edition. Here are the page numbers for the 10th Anniversary Edition:

*read through page 39
*make one photocopy per person (including yourself) of the following pages: 44,45,60,76,86,94,100,101,107,120,145,146,149,154,and 182.

These instructions are from Day 1. Then there are individual instructions and additional pages for the days for Art for the first 1/3 of the program.

The first lessons are drawing basic shapes. The first real drawing is of a bird, done step by step.

Does this help a little?
gratitude

First Grade...

Unread postby Lucy Robertson » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:28 am

hollydolly wrote:So, I am planning on starting First Grade late fall or next January with my kiddos...I was wondering if a new version was coming out soon for that...as I would hate to buy it and then a couple months later there is the updated version lol. Anyone know when 1st Grade is set to be updated? Thanks!

Hi Holly,

Marie Hazell, our author, has hopes of revising My Father's World First Grade in the next two years. There is no release date at this time set. She would appreciate your prayers as she fits this in with the other things God is asking her to do.

Blessings,
Lucy
MFW Board Moderator

Wife to Lee
Lucy Robertson

New version of CBOM for 1st?

Unread postby cbollin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:42 pm

kanderson wrote:I really liked using that with my oldest when he was in 1st. But then I noticed the graphic was different then the one we used. Does anyone know if this a newer version? Thanks for any help!
~Kristin

the cover is different. :) That is the only thing. Big publishers like that one (CBOM) like to change pictures.

I think other than minor differences... there will not be a problem. If page numbers do not line up exactly for some reason.... use the MFW plans to know what topic you are covering. Open CBOM, table of contents, and the topics will be there...

so.... since the exact page numbers are not assigned to a specific day --- ranges of pages cover a topic, you get to select..... it's going to be no problem...

same book :)

-crystal
cbollin

Older 1st grade TM with newer student sheets?

Unread postby Julie in MN » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:17 am

Jamie wrote:Just a quick question.....Does anyone out there know how well the older 1st grade TM will work with the newer student sheets, workbook, etc.? Is that still workable, or is there that big of a difference between the old and new TM? Thank You!

Hi Jamie,
The website says:

Note: The Student Sheets and Student Workbook for our revised first grade, Learning God's Story, cannot be used with the first edition of My Father's World First Grade.
I found that on the 1st grade page, "Major Revision - learn more," and then "What's Improved?" It also says,

Student Sheets are essentially the same as before but now include:
  • Some new math sheets, such as addition exploration and weather chart / graph
  • Some new reading activity sheets with new artwork

The Student Workbook is essentially the same as before with the following changes:
  • Revised sequence for many phonics lessons
  • Pages are now assigned (and labeled) by Week and Day
  • Some new pages and artwork

You might need to call the office just because maybe no one might have started the new 1st grade, since it just came out about 3 weeks ago. The "revised sequence" sounds like the biggest challenge?

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane now
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (18) hs from 3rd grade (2004); always used MFW
Alexandra (27) hs from 10th grade (2002); mother
Travis (29) never hs; engineer in CO
Julie in MN

Re: Older 1st grade TM with newer student sheets?

Unread postby kw4blessings » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Looks like you can still order the older student materials.

The website says, "To order first edition call (573) 202-2000."

HTH!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 7, busy boys 5, 4, 1
Finished 1st and Adventures.
2014-15 1st again!
kw4blessings

Return to 1st Grade Archive