Adventures recommendations

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints

Adventures - Describe book basket

Unread postby TurnOurHearts » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:36 pm

kalphs wrote:So what are some of the books which are in the book basket for Adventures? The more I read the posts the more curious/excited I am becoming about this curriculum.

There are too many to mention! LOL! What a great time we had in ADV! You'll get tons of books on America's journey into the west, Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, Abe Lincoln, the early settlers, etc., etc. One of our favorite books was about a quilt a young slave girl made. She used pieces of fabric in her quilt to make a map which other slaves used to find their way to freedom in the north. My kids still ask for that book ~ Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt by Deborah Hopkinson.

Anyhoo, I'm not sure the list of books can be posted here (I think it's copyrighted material?), but I would begin looking for books to add by topic. I think you can view the topics by week on the main ADV page. I'll see if I can do the link thingy...
http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/advsample.pdf

There are SO many great books to be read! Have a great year! :)
Paige

Wife to Josh (15 years),
Mom to Max (13) & Halle (11)
Used MFWK, MFW1, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR; Using Ex1850
TurnOurHearts

Unread postby cbollin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:53 pm

tagging on a bit with Paige's answer..... there are over 300 titles in the book basket for Adventures. Lots of options. You'll have books for history and science, and for different states and even for the classical music study in the deluxe package. Some of them are fiction others will be biographical, or other non fiction. And it includes a wide variety of authors such as d'Aulaire, Adler, Fritz (I remember some of Lensky's books were in some years, I don't know off the top of my head if there were in ADV or not.......) and a whole bunch of others who don't necessarily have series of books. So you get a wide variety of genre, authors and everything. And not everything written by an author is suggested either.

The lists themselves will be sorted by week number and are not just a list of titles. Marie Hazell, mfw author, includes a brief note of what the book is about, and also reading and/or age appropriate levels. Now in ADV that's not as much an issue with multiple grade levels, but in the other programs from ECC up to year 5, it does come into play a bit. And she even includes little notes if something might not sit right with every family but otherwise the book is really good. (as in notes like you might want to preview page such and such)

Anyway, many of the books will be favorites that you see in other literature based programs and a whole lot more.

The thing to keep in mind is that they are the enrichment books so it's ok if you don't have the exact titles in order to make MFW work :)

I've heard in cyber chat that sometimes it looks to people as if MFW is being all big bad and mean and secretive (that's what they say on some forums) about book basket because they don't list it on the web or whatever. But I don't see it that way at all. It's just that the list each year is huge. It took a lot of work for the Hazells to read ALL of the books in book basket and pre screen and preview and make notes so that you know what the books are like. It's not just a list of titles that you could read -- it's a list of books they have read and recommend and screened.
-crystal

Postby cbollin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:58 pm
Nice thing in MFW --- you dont' have to have the exact titles from book basket library list to make the program work.

book basket in ADV has about 300 or so books listed and organized by the week they are used, along with descriptions and heads up notes for them.

I'm always nervous about saying which books we liked, b/c our tastes might be different.
We enjoyed a lot of library books from biographies, historical fiction, and state study stuff. Some of the authors we seemed to like included some of the D'aulaire books, and the Jean Fritz books. there were some classics in there like Sign of the Beaver. Or books that you'll find in lots of literature based programs. You'll get ideas for information books. lots of stuff.

I liked that even in the science times in ADV, there were some suggestions for "easy reader" fiction to loosely go with the science lesson. My kids loved those books even when they were "older". Some of those may not have added tons to their "science" knowledge that day, but they were a fun read all the same. They enjoyed the book and trips down memory lane..... ok.. I did too. LOL
So, there were other books that were loaded with science on birds, etc.

-crystal
cbollin

Our favorites

Unread postby RB » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:36 am

Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:18 pm

The two sets I'm SO glad we ordered were the Beautiful Feet biographies by the d'Aulaires and the NEST videos (which my library didn't have and I couldn't get with ILL). Oh, and the entire Little House set...we have read more than the 3 schedules for read-alouds- the Ingalls' have been a very important part of our year. We had some other books, too, and ordered tons from ILL, but these were the ones I just am so very happy we didn't have to give back to the library :)
RB

We loved the Squanto book!

Unread postby goatsandadonkey » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:09 pm

I had no idea it would be so touching! I nearly cried at the end. And my son smiled when the Pilgrims figured out that Squanto was the one they had been hearing about in England. What a good story!

Amy
goatsandadonkey

Unread postby Julie in MN » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:03 pm

It seemed like such a miracle to me -- that Squanto was there, with no family, and knowing English, when the Pilgrims arrived! Ds & I each read the book independently during EX1850 & both thought it was great!
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane now
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (18) hs 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014); always used MFW
Alexandra (27) hs from 10th grade (2002); mother
Travis (30) never hs; engineer in CO
Julie in MN

Unread postby RachelT » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:51 pm

My kids loved the book so much that they kept wanting to read more about Squanto each night and we finished it a few days early! We were almost in tears a couple of times. What a nice story! It was a good way for us to view things through someone else's perspective, too, as really good stories are meant to do. I can't wait to read more of our assigned books!

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug since 1995, mom to J (10) and B (8)
We have been blessed through MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, and CtG! :)

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/
RachelT

Unread postby Toni@homezcool4us » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:04 pm

We had read it previously, but read it again in Adventures because we loved it so much. Our trip to Jamestown and Williamsburg was all the more special that October, especially as we toured the Indian village at Jamestown.
Blessings!
A proud adoptive mom of 4 children,
~Toni~
I invite you to join me THE WISE WOMAN BUILDS HER HOUSE
Toni@homezcool4us

Re: Book basket favorite?

Unread postby 4Truth » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:49 am

One title that's in the Book Basket list that turned out to be one of our favorites is Skippack School. I highly recommend purchasing this one if your library doesn't have it. I don't know if it's one of those included in the SL package that was mentioned, but it's a neat way to see how the Quakers did school and how important the Bible was to them both at home and in the classroom, and also to see a bit of how the printing presses worked from a kid's eye-view. I have one child who loved this book so much that she's asked for it again even when not doing American history... I guess I should probably just buy it for our own bookshelf! ;)
Donna, homeschooling our two youngest in 10th and 6th grades, with the oldest homeschooled all the way and graduated; using MFW since 2004
4Truth

Adventures book list help...

Unread postby jasntas » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:48 pm

bringirl wrote:The catalog says, "Our TM includes an extensive book list that will help in your U.S. history learning." I'm so curious as to some of the recommended books listed in the TM specifically to enhance the U.S. history study. Thanks!

There are all kinds of books on the book basket list from easy readers to easy chapter books. I personally enjoyed reading many of the picture books aloud to my dc. But they could also read them during book basket time if so inclined.

There are a lot of other book ideas listed in the ADV ideas forum. You would have to scan through each week for books because that's where others have posted books, crafts, science tips, field trips, etc. that they have added to the program. I found it extremely helpful as we have journeyed through ADV ourselves. That board is at the following.

viewforum.php?f=24

HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 24 years
Mom to Justin (13) and Carissa (10)
ADV & K 2009-2010
ECC & 1st 2010-2011
CTG 2011-2012
RTR 2012-2013
EX1850 2013-2014
1850MOD 2014-2015
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.
jasntas

Adventures and Books

Unread postby HeyChelle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:18 am

Mexmarr wrote:We don't do libraries... I don't drive. That makes Book Basket a little challenging! My kids have a little money from Christmas, that I would like to invest it in books. What are some good ones that will span more than 1 week?

As for favorites... one of them has been Sign of the Beaver. Highly recommend buying that one. In general we are really liking all of the starred suggestions in the recommendations.
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog
HeyChelle

ADV & D'Aulaire

Unread postby baileymom » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:47 pm

erin.kate wrote:If you used the D'Aulaire books for your book basket with ADV, which did you find most relevant in your studies? I am making my wish list online. :-)

We've only been able to get our hands on Columbus and Pocahontas...my kids really liked both of them. If $ wasn't an issue, I'd buy all of them.
Katherine - Army Wife, Mom of 9
1st/RtR/WHL for 2014-2015
When a baby is picked up, spoken to, and loved, he is starting his education as God planned it. - Susan Schaeffer Macaulay
http://whippoorwillschoolhouse.blogspot.com
baileymom

Re: ADV & D'Aulaire

Unread postby beaglemamma2008 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:21 pm

Fortunately our library has a great selection of D'Aulaire books, so we have used Columbus, Pocahontas, George Washington, Ben Franklin, and Abraham Lincoln. Dd loves the illustrations in these books! I think most libraries have copies of them, but if your local library doesn't, you could always try inter-library loan.
Jennifer, mom to:
Hannah, 8. Finished and loved K, 1st, & Adventures. Currently loving ECC.
Millie, 5. Finished Pre-K and K "lite." Currently playing her way through K "for real."

http://www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com
beaglemamma2008

YWAM Heroes of History for Adventures?

Unread postby jabec » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:52 pm

cefcdana wrote:I was just flipping through my YWAM catalog and noticed they have a Heroes of History Series that include people such as...
Christopher Columbus, John Smith, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, Davy Crockett, Laura Ingalls Wilder, etc

Has anyone read any of this series? Are they just as good as the Christian Heroes Then and Now series? Would they be good read alouds to do with Adventures? I will be schooling with a 5, 6, 7 and 8 year old- all girls.

We are just finishing up the last book in this series. We read all of them this year! I have never used Adventures, this will be our first year with MFW coming up, so I don't know how it would fit. I do know we enjoyed the books a lot. They were the spine for our whole curr. I have not read the Christian Heroes- yet! There were definate "dry" spots in the books- mostly when they got into politics/governmental stuff. My oldest is 11, and even some of them he couldn't follow or understand. Overall I would recommend them, just know that when you get to some of the presidents and political leaders, the youngers get pretty bored. I usually let them play quietly or color durring some of them. We often found a movie about the character to watch after we finished each book. I don't think my 7 yo got a whole lot of "history" out of them, but he is a VERY active boy! My 8 yo daughter enjoyed them.

-Becky
Newbie to MFW.
Thankful for this board.
Using ECC for 6th grade DS, 4th grade DD, 2nd grade DS, Ker DD, and 2 yo DS.
(just using mix and match stuff for K, though she'll do as much as possible in ECC)
jabec

Re: YWAM Heroes of History for Adventures?

Unread postby MelissaB » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Our daughter (age 10) has read several from the History series - George Washington, Harriet Tubman, Christopher Columbus, Captain John Smith.... She says they're all very good.

All of the Hero biographies, both Christian and history, are written by authors Janet and Geoff Benge. They're very tastefully written (nothing immoral) and interesting all the way through.

Enjoy! :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Completed K/ECC; CTG/1st; RTR; Expl.-1850.
Enjoying 1850-Mod.
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4
MelissaB

Unread postby cefcdana » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:40 pm

Thanks for your reply ladies! Much appreciated :)
cefcdana

Unread postby Julie in MN » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:58 pm

jabec wrote: My oldest is 11, and even some of them he couldn't follow or understand. Overall I would recommend them,

I don't want to cause anyone to miss reading a good book, so happy to hear some have really enjoyed these books. I'm sure there is a lot of research and care put into them.

But I just thought I'd mention that we felt some of the history bios raced through SO many events that we didn't have that warm, fuzzy feeling we had with the Christian bios. With the Einstein one, the race from event to event seemed very appropriate, since his life was racing at lightning speed. But with Washington, we loved him so much from the books in EX1850 that the Benge book wasn't a favorite here, just didn't reach our heart the way other things had.

Those are the only 2 we read, and it was a while ago, so it needs a grain of salt. But if a young person wanted to read them, I'd be so happy :) I did feel they covered much more of the important facts and lifetime achievements than the previously popular history series, Childhood of Famous Americans.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane now
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (18) hs 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014); always used MFW
Alexandra (27) hs from 10th grade (2002); mother
Travis (30) never hs; engineer in CO
Julie in MN

Unread postby momxnine » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:59 am

I haven't read any of the American history books that they have, but we love the Christian bios. I also have older children, 9 & 13. I'm not sure if my grandkids (7 & 5) would like them, they might be over their heads. But, we were at a homeschool conference this past weekend and met a lovely couple who were selling all of the YWAM materials, and they have a brand new series for younger children. The books are wonderful! Here's a link to their site: http://www.ywamresources.com/ And you click on the book link, then look for "Heroes for Young Readers." So far, they are only the Christian heroes, but they are perfect for the 6-10 age group.

Blessings,

Vicki in SW. MO.
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go
momxnine

Return to Book Basket and Independent Reading Archive