Timelines - Help and ideas

Timelines - Help and ideas

Unread postby Archiver2 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:12 am

More timeline ideas may be found on other threads, as well:

Adventures
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3933&p=26443#p26443 (& travel)
viewtopic.php?t=1976 (with 2 photos)

General Timeline Ideas
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1903
Archiver2

Planning ahead

Unread postby cbollin » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:36 pm

blessedmom2 wrote:In setting up the Adventures time line, how much space do I need to leave between each section? I am thinking ahead to next year when we do ECC. Should I leave space to add more then? Do you do a timeline in ECC? Thanks!

No timeline in ECC. But there are timelines in CTG, RTR, EX1850.

I don't have a perfectly spaced timeline yet. so, I'm avoiding that part of the question.

--crystal
cbollin

Unread postby InfertilityMom » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:36 pm

We are only in week 4 of Adventures and I've not done the higher grades yet, so I don't know how much help I can be, but this thread might help. :)
Jenni Saake, Nevada
after 10 years and 10 losses:
ds J. born 12/99 and dd R. 1/03, 1850s to Modern Times
ds J-Bear 1/06 finishing up K, looking toward 1st in early 2012
http://www.InfertilityMom.blogspot.com
InfertilityMom

Unread postby Lucy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:52 am

Because Adventures does not flow into the other years of history and is only an overview of American history, you will start your timeline over with CTG. Until you reach American History again, you could just plan to have the Adventure year at the end of your timeline while doing CTG and RTR.

Mine for CTG and RTR took up about 14 feet on our wall going around a room. Like I said though, you may just want to plan to move Adventures to the end when you are there in a couple of years before you start CTG.

lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.
Lucy

Unread postby Fly2Peace » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:47 pm

Technically you could leave it up and add to it. But, it might get too cluttered to be effective. I think the key is, come up with some way to make it adjustable, so that you can move pieces around if you need to. Ours are up with double sided tape on a wall in our school / living room.

Decide what will work best for you. Ours from Adventures is still up, and will be until I decide it shouldn't be. We have started ECC, and won't be using it, but it is also not in our way.
Fly2Peace (versus flying to pieces)
Fly2Peace

Adventures Timeline Ideas

Unread postby girlzx3 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:55 pm

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:37 am
Our time line hung just below our dry erase board. I just used yarn and clipped the pieces on with those tiny clothes pins. In hindsight I would have enlarged the time line pieces before hanging them (just an idea). My completed time line was about 5 feet long I would guess, but with enlarged pieces it might need to be a little bit bigger. Hope this helps. We loved Adventures and my kids learned so much. May the Lord bless your year!!

Trisha
girlzx3

Re: Adventures Timeline Ideas

Unread postby Fayth » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:53 pm

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:48 am
I made mine before I started Adventures. I wanted something we could keep adding to.

I used 4 different color file folders and sliced the ends off so they would be even. I taped them end to end with clear packing tape. This way I can put it on the wall but, it folds up accordion style to put file away.

I have red for 5000BC to 400BC at 200 year increments. Then yellow for 300 BC to 1600AD in 100 year increments up to 100AD then it goes to 50 year increments. Blue for 1600AD to 1870 in 10 year increments and lastly in pink 1870 to present in 10 year increments.

I put the timeline through the middle of the folder this way we have Church history up top and eveything else down below. I also use the Hold That Thought timeline figures because they are beautiful and they have every person you can imagine.
HTH
Fayth
Fayth

Need a visual

Unread postby cbollin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:31 am

doodleboomommy wrote:Okay, I admit. I just really need to SEE someone's timeline so I can see what I am doing!

I am only doing the simple wall-style timeline, but I am not going to affix it permanently to the wall. I am going to put it on 8x11 sheets and pull it out for school. I understand the mechanics of the timeline, I just cannot figure out how much to put on each 8x11 sheet (i.e. should I put 1 hundred year per sheet--1400, 1550, etc.?).

Would anyone be willing to post a pic of theirs? I'd be so grateful!!
Cheryl

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:22 am
Just a way down the road thought....

The Timeline in ADV can be very simple this year because you'll do more timelines each year. In EX1850 you'll have more of the same time frame that is covered in ADV. As you said, remember to keep the book out where you'll be able to see the pictures as you go along in school, don't just put a picture in the book and never look at it again.

And then in 1850-MOD, MFW provides a blank sketch pad for the timeline in year 5, which will have about 150 pieces in it. And it was special to my Oldest to take down the MFW pieces from the basement and living room walls and place them in the new book with the easy to follow instructions that Marie gave in the year 5 manual.

With ADV, it is not a super detailed timeline with every thing that happened , so keep it simple and realize that you'll do more in later years. Less might just be more at this age and stage.

just some thoughts for down the road planning.

-crystal
cbollin

Re: Need a visual

Unread postby RJ's Momma » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:32 am

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:08 pm
don't have the ability to post pictures (yes, we are from the stone age!!), but I will talk you through ours - and I hope this makes sense:)

We used 8x11 computer paper turned sideways and used 5 sheets of paper taped together on the ends (so that we have 5 sheets taped together long ways). This makes it so that it will fold together.

On the first sheet I have the Genesis on the left edge glued sideways (wasn't thinking about room for it, but this worked fine). Then glued 2000 and 1000 along the bottom. On the second page - I have the B.C. - A.D. and the 1000 along the bottom and the pictures that go with them right above them. The third page - I have 1400, 1500 and 1600 spaced out along the bottom with pictures that go with them above. (There is one picture for 1400, none for 1500, and a couple for 1600's, so leave room above the years for pictures). Fourth page - 1700, 1800, 1900 along bottom, room for their pictures above (haven't gotten here yet, we are only on 3rd week:).

5th page - made small date for dd's birthday, 2000, small date for this school year, and the '?' date, spaced out along the bottom, again room for pictures above.

Hope this helps more than confuses. It is really up to you how you do it, but this seemed easiest to us. So far it is working well, and we will hole punch it and place it in our history binder at the end of the year.

Shannon
RJ's Momma

Unread postby Julie in MN » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:32 am

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:37 pm

See if this helps you visualize. It's part of my then-4th grader's Creation to the Greeks timeline, and it's B.C. (As you can see, ds doesn't like to color, but he does like to laminate & tape!)

We have it on the linen closet door at the end of the hallway, and it is vertical rather than horizontal. His sister's timeline has been on the other door, but that has to go when we get to EX1850!
Julie

p.s. More timeline info here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1903
Attachments
timeline.jpg
timeline.jpg (5.12 KiB) Viewed 997 times
Julie in MN

Unread postby bethben » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:33 am

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:22 pm

Mine looks like julie's, only we have it on the bathroom door. Very simple just running down vertically. I also have the names of Jesus poster on another door to the garage (I don't have alot of wall space). Basically, we're never going to get into better homes and gardens, but that's O.K.
Beth
bethben

Unread postby TurnOurHearts » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:34 am

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:27 pm

Hi there! :)

We started our timeline under the big mirror in our dining room, where we school currently. I used some thin, navy blue ribbon! It was what I had on hand & everything I read said each one is unique - use what you have! I took that to heart & we've been very pleased.

When we did ADV last year, I simply added another section of ribbon & continued the timeline into the corner & onto the next wall behind the door. It works for us!

Sadly, I'm about to take down the 1st grade ones, but only so my daughter can have a go at it. ;)

Here are some photos of ours (you'll see how spatially-challenged I am...):

HTH!

BTW, we added the approximate years listed in the first grade TM, mostly for me.
TurnOurHearts

Unread postby LizCT » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:35 am

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:38 pm

Paige - I love that you put the pictures of your kids on the timeline - we did that too - the kids love it!

Liz in CT
LizCT

Yet another timeline question

Unread postby doubleportion » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:37 pm

Teresa in TX wrote:I like the idea of a folding display board, so we are going to try that. My question is, anyone who has done one like that, do you have pics or a blog with pics that I could see how it looks? I am trying to figure out how much space I need to provide for each time period. If even someone could give me a description, that would help. :)

I have only completed ADV with a timeline. We made one that could fold accordion style. (very small house and no wall space). Then we moved half way through last school year and just taped it to the wall. In my opinion I would provide more space (pages) than you think you would need. I know you are doing CTG which is a completely different timeline and year, so this maybe of no use to you at all. But this is what I have of what used to be on the wall.

We used five 11 X 14 poster paper and taped it together to make one long banner that could be folded accordion style. Not the best picture, but hope it will give you ideas.

Posted Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:55 pm by doubleportion
In hind sight, I think I would have left more space between 1600 & 1700, 1700 & 1800, and 1800 & 1900.

;)
Edie
Attachments
panorama timeline.jpg
panorama timeline.jpg (71.34 KiB) Viewed 5599 times
doubleportion

Re: Yet another timeline question

Unread postby sojen » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:29 pm

I made a timeline out of felt and velcro. We live in a little house too and this was my solution. I can't wait to reuse it with CTG...You can get the instructions here:
http://sojen.blogspot.com/2008/08/cool-timeline.html
Jen in GA
mom to dd 11, dd 8, and ds 5
traveling through the medieval world with RTR.
Slowly starting kindergarten with my little guy.
sojen

How to make Adventures timeline?

Unread postby Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:17 pm

samiam wrote:I think I am making this more difficult than it needs to be, but I can't figure out spacing for the timeline in Adventures.

I have the wall space, so it will be on the wall. But I am trying to figure out how much space to put between the first thing, which is the birth of Jesus, and the next event of the timeline (don't have it in front of me, so can't think if of it, Vikings maybe?). But it seems that there would be a large space between these events whereas once American history gets moving, and we have the markers for 1000, 1200, 1400, etc...there is going to be alot going on there.

I guess I am looking for more measurement/spacing advice....or am I making it more difficult?

I would say that you are making it more difficult on yourself than required. Here's my vote for "spacing doesn't matter." What I was teaching to my dd at that age was the flow of events, and not so much of "and then 500 years later . . . " You can explain the timing, but showing big gaps on the wall doesn't really help enforce any understanding to a 2nd grader, in my humble opinion.
2013/14: EX1850
completed: MFWK, MFW1, ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR
Cyndi (AZ)

Re: How to make Adventures timeline?

Unread postby FreshKid » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:19 pm

I made ours "moveable" on the wall. I used string, clothespins, and poster tack. There is picture on my blog http://thecowqueen.blogspot.com/2010/08 ... lroom.html It's kinda "plain Jane" but has worked well, so far.

Beverly
FreshKid

Unread postby momtogc » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:04 pm

I used nine 8.5 x 11 cardstock sheets. I taped them end to end, drew a line down the middle all the way across, and hung it on the wall. Dd taped the items right on the line (double sided tape).

We put Genesis 1:1, the birth of Jesus, and the Vikings on the first two sheets. After that I used one sheet for each time period....one for 1400s, one for 1500s and so on. I put the year 2000 and the New Heavens and Earth on the last sheet. The 1700s had the most items but it all fit. There was a lot of white space on some of the sheets but it turned out well.

We are in ECC now and dd still wants the timeline on the wall so its still in our kitchen. : ) It's fun to look at. Someday I'll hole punch it and put it in her binder.

I hope this helps! It was pretty simple. I'm sorry that I don't have a photo to show you.
Meleasa
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850
momtogc

Unread postby samiam » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:11 pm

Thanks all! I do tend to do that..over thinking :)!

Even though I already have the 8 1/2 by 11 timeline sheets (printed a blank one from website and then had copies made, did this last year), I decided to just go with the the string idea that I had seen on someone's blog. I figured this would be good enough, since the timeline for Adventures is not that "busy".

So I used some orange yarn (bought last year with good intention to make a scarf, but since abandoned), and just cut it a decent length. Used packing tape on ends and a few spots in the middle (don't care about pulling paint off, as I can touch up if need be). Used Packing Tape to tape up the date markers. It looks great, and makes the point. DS7 is happy that it is orange, his favorite color.

Put up two items already, and it is looking great!

K
samiam

Adventures timeline

Unread postby far above rubies » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:24 pm

We used some orange yarn and taped it up to stretch across our 8 x 8 dining room wall.

Somehow it worked. :)
K (2007-2008, 2011-2012), ADV (2010-2011), ECC (2011-2012)
2012-2013: CtG [dd (5th), ds (3rd), dd (1st), ds (3), and ds (1) ]
far above rubies

Finished Adventures

Unread postby laurelmarie » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:44 am

Just wanted to send a thank you to MFW and those who answered all my questions before and during the year. It was a good year and dd learned so much. We created a very nifty notebook that will be a great reminder of all she learned.

Tip: What to do with the timeline when you are done? Use them as a review. I took each timeline figure, glued it to a notepage (several figures to a page)and asked dd to tell me one thing she remembered about it. I wrote what she said next to the figure and put the notepages in the front of her book as an overview of her notebook.
Laurel, HS since 1992, graduated 2 sons both in the military
Ds 15: MOH , Latin Alive, BJU Algebra, Lightning Lit, Apologia Phys. Science, Piano, Fencing
Dd 7: Adventures, Math Journal, Elemental Science, spelling Journal, FLL 2, SS Latin, Piano
laurelmarie

Return to Adventures in U.S. History