Bible - NIrV "Discover's" vs "Adventure"

Bible - NIrV "Discover's" vs "Adventure"

Unread postby cbollin » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:49 pm

SuzanneK wrote:Hello friends ~
We are getting ready to purchase a "real" Bible (as opposed to a story one) for our 5 1/2 year old son. I know in the MFW Adventures program the NIrV Discover's Bible for Young Readers is used. I have also seen the NIrV Adventure Bible for Young Readers.

Does anyone know the difference between these 2 Bibles? Is one better then the other?

The other Bible I am thinking of is one that is for Boys. I am not sure which one.

:-) There are so many Bible's to choose from! What a wonderful problem!

God bless ~

You're right ---- isn't this an awesome "problem" to have too many copies of God's precious word. Just makes me want to write a check to God's Word for the Nations. :)

It's such a hard call. Do you have a Bible bookstore or other Christian bookstore where you can look at them and see all the little differences? Maybe someone at church has one of them and you can browse it for a bit.

It's the little things that can make a difference for any particular person.

I've always thought the Adventures Bible that you referenced has smaller font size and is harder on younger eyes as compared to the Discover's Bible.

just my .02
crystal
cbollin

NIrV

Unread postby Julie in MN » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:36 am

Suzanne,
Here are the differences in my mind:

Adventurer:
Smaller type (9 pt, closer to many adult Bibles of 8 pt)
The one you reference is softcover, altho it does come in hardcover also

Discoverer:
Larger type (12 pt), and thus more pages
Several color pictures

Either way, our family really loves the NIrV version for readability at all ages. The sentences are so short that you lose some of the beautiful language, but you actually can understand and absorb the message throughout, and then search other versions for your favorite poetic beauty and detailed interpretation.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane now
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (18) hs from 3rd grade (2004); always used MFW
Alexandra (27) hs from 10th grade (2002); mother
Travis (29) never hs; engineer in CO
Julie in MN

Unread postby Lucy » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:26 am

My first thought was the size of the letters too. This is why we purchased it for our kids years ago. It was hard to find at the time. Something that I did not know until I started teaching my kids to read is that there is a reason that books are printed in larger type for younger children. There eyes are not able to usually read the smaller print until around age 8 or even 10. This is normal and does not indicate a need for glasses. Anyway just a little information if you had not considered that.

My son has the one for boys but I think I would wait on that one until around 9years old. It has a lot more information and no pictures. That is when we bought it for our son and it is the NIV version. Although it may come in the NIrV too.

Like Crystal said, what a nice problem to have.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.
Lucy

Bible comparison

Unread postby Kim in MI » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:02 am

We have both Bibles. I consulted with my 9-year-old and we more closely compared the two Bibles. The only advantage we see to the Discoverer's Bible is the larger print. That said, my 7-year-old (who is the owner of the Adventure Bible) has not had any trouble with the smaller font. We do like the NIrV of both also.

The Discoverer's Bible has a brief dictionary and maps in the back. There are also colored pictures scattered throughout. There is a brief introduction to each book at the beginning.

The Adventure Bible seems more like a children's study Bible. It has sections throughout the Bible titled "Did You Know?" with questions such as "Why did Moses hold up his arms when the people of Israel were at war?" (answers too). There are also "Let's Live it" sections which give practical application to something from the text. For example, it talks about God providing manna for the Israelites, then asks if you are ready to trust God each day to supply what you need. It suggests that you try praying each day for one thing you need, not worrying about tomorrow, and keeping track of how God answers. There is a "Life in Bible Times" feature in various spots that gives facts about what life was like - for example, explaining how the Egyptians built boats and what Moses' basket might have been like. At the beginning of each book of the Bible there is an overview that includes author, why the book was written, what happens in the book, what do we learn about God from the book, who is important in the book, when and where the things occurred, and what are some of the stories in the book. There are also "Words to Treasure", which highlights certain verses, such as "A happy heart makes a face look cheerful. But a sad heart produces a broken spirit." (Prov. 15:13) These extra features are highlighted in a yellow-orange color. The actual color of the text is a dark green. The back of the Bible has an index of subjects, a list of activities (from the Let's Live It), a brief dictionary, and the maps.

This is very quick as we need to get out the door. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Kim
Kim in MI

Return to Adventures in U.S. History