Scope & sequence - Content of 1st grade

My Father's World First Grade (previous version)

Scope & sequence - Content of 1st grade

Unread postby Rebecca » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:35 am

Author: Rebecca
Date: 4/9/2004

MFW1 focuses on a Bible timeline so Bible events and cultures make up the theme for the year. Around that, a very effective phonics program is wrapped. Using a Bible reader and weekly lessons the text gets steadily more advanced. For Science the focus is Physical Science using 3 Usborne books and weekly science experiments as well as a nature notebook. Probably for the eight year old you would continue your current Math program and maybe make the science topic of the week a bit more in-depth.

As far as hands-on, MFW1 has many great projects including creating Bible time costumes, participating in Bible feasts, building a volcano, sculpting the tower of Babel, and lots of science experiments.

Blessings,
Rebecca
Rebecca

Unread postby cbollin » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:19 am

susieinms wrote:Do you know if things like synonyms, puncuations, and things of that sort are covered?

They are covered, but not through specific worksheet assignments. In other words, you are not spending time editing a pre printed worksheet to find errors in punctuation. Instead you teach your child to use correct punctuation in his/her writing. In first grade, the skills in punctuation include: some rules of capital letters, ending with punctuation, complete sentence structure.

There is at least one worksheet on Antonyms or opposites. But most of the language arts focus in these early years is done through informal oral exercises. You read to your child and discuss things along the way. At this age, you just don't necessarily get hung up on the technical terminology or spend lots of time with workbooks. Some time, yes. just not lots of it.

MFW is authored by Marie Hazell. In addition to being a home schooling mom, she is a certified speech language pathologist (speech therapist). So I've come to learn over the years of using this curriculum that there is a heavy emphasis on the development of language arts. In K it is in the disguise of the science and character lessons (lots of questions, reasonings, analogies, predictions, inferences, etc.) In the 1st grade, most of the l.a. skills are taught along with the Bible journal notebook.

And as a mom with 2 of children in speech therapy for many years, I personally have seen good stuff with the materials in the upper levels of MFW. At first glance, Primary Language Lessons (and Intermediate Lang. Lessons) looked too old fashioned and too easy. But when my daughter's speech therapist looked at these books and said "get them" -- I changed my mind. I thought informally covered meant "not covered" -- but I now know that it just means not tons of workbook pages.

--crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbollin

Unread postby Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:40 am

Mississippi Jenni wrote:We are going to be finishing K in mid July. I thought about beginning 1st in Sept. Please explain how 1st grade works. I will also have a dd doing K. She sat in on all of the K stuff this year. Any info would be great.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:45 pm

We love MFW1!

* Everything about it ties together so well.
* It is laid out to have "school" on MT, TF with an "Exploration Day" every Wednesday. You could always move that around to fit your schedule, but doing it as written works well for us.
* It starts out slowly with a review of the alphabet and a gentle introduction to phonics, then it picks up the pace with the Bible Reader and illustrating the Bible Notebook.
* I was skeptical about using Drawing with Children, but I am so glad we did! Wow - what a wonderful program that really improved my dd's skills.
* The Math is set up to be mostly hands-on with lots of fun games, but the pages from the Complete Book of Math have worked really well for us as well.
* There are excellent lit selections for both Math and Science in the TM.
* The Science comes out of the Usborne books, and experiments are done on Exploration Day.
* We keep Wednesday really light (just Science, or skip it entirely and do that on a different day), and use the Come Look With Me books on Monday, listen to the CD and color an instrument on Thursday, and use the Pattern Blocks on Friday. Those are all "extra" things that you can add as you wish, or do them on Exploration Day.
* There are also games in the TM to help teach sight reading, etc., and reinforce the phonics rules.
* There's not a ton of activities, but the ones that are there are fantastic - having a Sabbath meal, putting together a Bible Times costume, making a woven mat out of construction paper - just lots of things that really help it come alive for little minds.

I'm gushing, aren't I? I should have typed a bullet list instead of rambling, but there you have it. We obviously love MFW1 around here.
Cyndi (AZ)

Unread postby RachelT » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:42 am

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:08 pm

1st grade this year has been a great journey through the Bible. We can sing the names of all the books of the Bible! We made it through the blue phonics workbook and I will treasure the Bible notebook that my ds has created! He still needs me to sit with him when he is reading aloud for help, but it has been really rewarding to see him become a "reader". The character lessons from Proverbs and how Marie has planned them to tie in with the Bible readings have just been really good for us to ponder. There's lots of great stuff in MFW 1st grade and I think that it will work well to be doing 1st and K at the same time.
RachelT

Scope and sequence

Unread postby cbollin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:14 am

Mississippi Jenni wrote:Maybe what I need is scope and sequence type of information. What will they learn in first? Tell me about the schedule.

What is the Scope and Sequence for the 1st grade program?

Phonics and reading : My Father's World First Grade begins with a quick review of letter names and sounds with short vowels, followed by in-depth teaching of all necessary phonics to produce an independent reader.

Other Language Arts: Skills in handwriting, phonics related to spelling, composition, dictation and narration are covered. Writing skills emerge through the Bible notebook/journal that accompanies the Bible reader. (This one reader covers Creation to Revelation. The stories are written in a way to emphasize the phonics lessons being learned. It takes the place of multiple sets of phonics readers that accompany other phonics programs.) You can add other reading materials from library. There are suggestions in the TM for additional readings to accompany math and science lessons. MFW recommends Honey for a Child’s Heart as a resource for selecting general reading to children. The TM also lists some other resources for read-alouds for books, poems and rhymes. Near the end of the 1st grade year, there are additional ideas for expanding creative writing once all the phonics lessons are done.

Math. Topics covered include:
counting, reading and writing numbers to 100,
understanding greater than/less to 100.
Count by 2’s 5’s, 10’s.
Count backwards from 20 to 0
Ordinal numbers (1st-10th)
Addition and Subtraction facts to 18.
Add 3 numbers to 18.
Addition and subtraction two digit numbers without regrouping.
Understand add/subtract both horizontally and vertically
Place value of 2 digit numbers.
Expanded notation.
Money: value of penny nickel dime and quarter, begin to count money.
Time: hour and half hour.
Calendar: days of the week, months and current date.
Number patterns and other patterns.
Simple word problems.
Charts, graphs, and tallies.

All of it is done in a hands on informal way and there is an additional workbook for supplementary learning. That book, The Compete Book of Math, bills itself as a 1st and 2nd grade math workbook.

Bible/History Using a thematic approach, Bible history from Genesis to Revelation is the focus of the first grade program. This serves to lay a foundation of an overview of world history.

Character Development Memory verses from the book of Proverbs.

Science: The Focus is on nature: outdoors, water and plants. Hands on experiments appropriate to age level. Students will learn about:
Close to the Ground (worms, moles, ants, etc)
The Seasons
How Flowers Grow
Trees
Rain
Thunder and Lightning
Rivers
Beaches
Ocean life
Sun
Moon
Stars
Volcanoes
Rainbows
Snow/Ice
Measuring
Water
Plants

Optional materials:
Art – MFW uses the book Drawing with Children to introduce students to eye-hand coordination for drawing. After lessons from the book are completed, children begin to use the techniques to make art work as part of their Bible notebook.

Art Appreciation – children are introduced to learning how to look at a painting and answer basic questions (some questions are open ended of course, to allow for discussion)

Music Appreciation – children are introduced to many instruments used in orchestra, as well as some fun classical music

(Also look for posts on the pre-reading/learning to read/learing to love to read/learning by reading philosophy of MFW. )

-crystal
cbollin

Re: Tell me about 1st grade

Unread postby cbollin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:47 am

Mississippi Jenni wrote:Tell me about the schedule.

The first grade manual is set up differently from just about any of the other manuals in MFW.

Because of the amount of detailed (but not overwhelming) instructions for each day, the first grade manual is currently set up in a day to day format, instead of a week at a glance format. (MFW's grid format begins the following year with the ADV program when more subjects are taught on each day.)

However, there is a Week at Glance grid included for the Math program in first grade to tie together the informal, hands on math approach with the workbook and extras in deluxe package for math.

Standard set up for subjects for 4 out of 5 days per week:
*Bible Lessons, including Proverbs character and memory work
*Reading/Language Arts Lessons
*Math Lessons
*(Science on some of those days)
*Activities. (this will vary each week in content)

Every 5th day is Exploration Day:
That is a day for Science experiments, math, and a good time to do art appreciation and music appreciation and any review needed.

Other parts of the manual include:
Games to Practice Reading
Library lists for math
Library lists for science

for an easy supply list needed in first grade, you can see that from a thread on the First Grade Ideas forum
viewtopic.php?p=35559&highlight=#35559
-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbollin

Unread postby dhudson » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:10 am

Crystal did a great job telling you what the scope and sequence of the year is. I just wanted to add that not only did my twins learn a ton, the Bible Reader is not to be missed. Learning and practicing to read using the Bible is such a great foundation for their hearts. The memory verses in Proverbs have also had long lasting character foundation.

Academically, it's a very strong year but it is also a very strong Biblical foundation year.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002
dhudson

Unread postby homemommy83 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:31 pm

I am using MFW 1st grade this year, and we are loving it! The bible and phonics are integrated which allows more time for play; although my little one thinks school is "play". The math is mainly hands-on which is wonderful for this age; mine loves them and is learning! Crystal answered the technical answer, I just want you to know that the little ones like it, and mom likes it too!
Brenda
homemommy83

Unread postby meagabby » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi Mississippi Jenni,
Crystal is right, they are detailed (and not overwhelming).

For example, it includes word for word sections of what you read/explain to your child on any particular day. You can expand on that as well, but for me that was wonderful when starting homeschooling.

I like that it is by day rather than by week since it corresponds with math (counting, number of the day etc.)--less for me to remember.

I agree that the Bible reader and notebook are not to be missed. They are so wonderful for learning at this age.

We've used it twice and both children remember so much and I believe it's because the way everything is introduced.

Dena

-Dena
Loving learning with MFW!
meagabby

Re: New here with a few questions

Unread postby dhudson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:18 am

Angie wrote:I homeschool my 5 1/2 yo dd. In about four weeks we will be finished with Kindergarten. I don't want to take a long break so am trying to make curriculum decisions so that I can order soon. I will be attending a HS conference in March and saw that David Hazell will be a featured speaker and decided to find out more about him and MFW which led me here. I like what I know about MFW so far and am adding it to my list of possibilities for our 1st grade year. However that leads me to lots of questions. I hope I can find some answers here so that I can decide if MFW is the right fit for our family. Angie

MFW1 is great.

I love that MFW1 teaches reading with a great Bible Reader and the math is fun and really effective.

My twins tested into Singapore 2a after doing MFW1 math and had loads of fun as well.

The Bible in MFW1 is really effective at this age. Memorizing proverbs is great way to help them understand that the Bible tells them of the way they should live and behave. We still use many of the Bible verses learned to help cement proper behavior.

It does have a lot of writing but you can work slowly through it. You should not need a separate handwriting curriculum as it is included in the package.

If you chooses to, MFW1 truly is an all inclusive curriculum.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002
dhudson

Unread postby 705emily » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:31 pm

I used MFW 1 last year with my dd7 and am now using it with my 6 yo ds.

MFW1 starts out very gently with a review of letters and sounds but picks up quickly. The Bible Reader is used throughout--and the child will complete a Bible Notebook where they will summarize and illustrate stories that they read in their Bible Reader. These summaries start out as one sentence--and gradually get longer to where they are writing 3-4 sentence summaries. They also copy out one proverb a week as a handwriting exercise. We did not do a separate handwriting program--as there is plenty in MFW1.

The math program is wonderful and utilizes a very hands-on approach. You mentioned place value. In MFW 1, the child will place a bean into a jar every day. On day 10--the child glues all the beans onto a popsicle stick. You continue with this until day 100. It is a great way to visualize place value. Likewise--with money--the child will place a penny into a jar every day. On day five--the pennies are traded for a nickel, and on day 10 for a dime. There is a "number of the day" activity, a daily calendar activity, as well as the Complete Book of Math that has colorful worksheets that go along with the lesson. If you have a child that is resistant to math (as mine was) I think you will find that she will enjoy this program.

As for science--I didn't do all of the science in first--as I used the K program for science--but it involves Usborne books, simple experiments, and nature walks. etc. The program might seem "light" at the beginning (it did to me)--but I quickly began to realize that there is a purpose for that. It allows time for other things--music lessons, doctor's appts., ministry to others. etc. as well as just being a kid. You will be amazed at how much they will learn in the MFW first grade program. Most of all--I love the emphasis on character development through the Proverbs study in the MFW1.

I think it's great that you are planning to be at the home school conference in March. You will have a chance to hear David Hazell and look at the materials yourself. I hope this helps some!

Blessings!
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'
705emily

Unread postby mgardenh » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:42 pm

As far as handwriting. Does your dd know how to form all the letters? MFW 1st goes over letters very quickly as a review in the beggining. Then you start writing one sentence or copying proverb.

The math in MFW 1st is very appropriate and you and your DD will like it. Basically you start with the number one and go to hundred and at the same time learn simple addition.

The science is incorperated in the program. Mostly related to topic at hand. You do science reading from one of the science books and then the big part of science in first is doing exploration day witch is a nature walk and doing science experiements. Science is very fun and doable and Marie gives you heads up on what you need for all the activities and things you do.

Hope this helps some.
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR
mgardenh

MFW Gr 1 - using it only for LA or combining it

Unread postby erin.kate » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:19 am

NicoleJ wrote:I have been looking at MFW Gr 1 (we are finishing MFW K) and from having a good look at it (I was able to have a look at my SIL's copy) it seems rather LA heavy, and light-on with everything else. So, at the moment, I am looking to combine it with another curriculum and using the MFW Gr 1 as the LA portion of my program. Has anyone else felt like this with the MFW Gr 1 program?

We just finished MFW1 and I just finished my state portfolio in which I had to detail two lessons per quarter per subject. MFW was all that I needed.

Yes, it is thorough in phonics and narration and dictation and handwriting ... it is excellent. After direct phonics instruction was over at Day 25 she began reading aloud from Pathway Readers and other appropriate readers, in addition to the Bible Reader.

The math covers all first grade topics, but we did use Singapore 1A & 1b alongside the living math books from MFW1 and some of The Complete Book of Math worksheets. It all married seamlessly.

It is an exceptional Social Studies year through Bible History ... my daughter learned so much about Bible times ... the people, events, places, cultures, languages, foods, landscape, dress, etc. She has more Bible history knowledge than most adults already. She knows the 12 tribes, the books of the Bible, the 12 apostles, how to locate the Jordan River, what Queen Esther might have worn, how to make lentil soup and experience what they would have eaten, how to weave a shepherd's bag, etc.

The science is completely appropriate for first grade. The Usborne books are used and my daughter had a great time. Usborne is not my favorite, but they do science well for youngers and she loved it. We grew bean plants, dissected flowers, had an ant farm, learned about water, starts, the planets, etc. It instills a wonder and reverence for God's creation and it dabbles in a breadth of topics that keep science this year curious and the lessons are short, leaving time for keeping a nature/science notebook.

In Fine Arts we studied Peter and the Wolf, Carnival of the Animals, and the instruments of the orchestra. Picture study was with the awesome Come Look with Me series. She learned to draw with Drawing with Children and put her new talents to work in the keepsake Bible Notebook. It is a gorgeous chronicle of the year and a sweet representation of all the history/social studies she learned. There are several hands-on crafts and activities as well, and some cooking and baking.

I felt it to be incredibly complete and perfectly created for a child who is 6 or 7. The subjects are woven together so beautifully that perhaps at first glance at the TG you may feel that it is lacking somewhere, but it is not, not at all.

I learned right away after my second year with MFW that it is best and richest to keep it simple. MFW does not require supplementing. We did add a meaty list of storytime literature and a health curriculum (per our state), but it is complete and very well done.

I hope this helps. If you go to my blog (in my signature line) I have lots and lots of pictures of our first grade year with MFW ...

Take good care.
erin kate
erin.kate

Re: MFW Gr 1 - using it only for LA or combining it

Unread postby gratitude » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:10 pm

Erin Kate gave a wonderful complete picture of the program, and answered your question well. :-)

I just wanted to second her answer. I did not find MFW 1 LA heavy and lacking in other areas at all. I can see how looking through the TM may give that impression, but it isn't that way once you use it.

The beauty of MFW is in its simplicity. In the simplicity is the richness of a full education and a teaching of the Bible and a love for the Lord and service.

I would liken MFW to the Christian life. To explain the richness of the Christian life, the fullness, and all of the joy that it brings (even in the midst of its many trials) is nearly impossible to explain to a non-believer in a way that truly makes sense. As C.S. Lewis once said Christianity is one of the areas in life that is mis-understood until the person becomes a Christian and finds out for themselves how it changes ones heart & life.

MFW is similar,it looks simple until I use it and then I find out how much there is to it. As you probably already know from MFWK. I am now using it with my second son and I find there is plenty to the math (which I didn't use the first time), and Usborne isn't my favorite either but the children love the experiments. The math in some ways is ingenious because my ds is learning so much without realizing he is doing school while he is doing it. :-)

MFW1 really does stand alone. It goes through ancient History from creation to AD100 (or so) using the Bible as History. Then later in CTG it adds the other History to this Bible History. It is the historical foundation of sharing with our children that we were created by God, and the history of how he dealt with the Israelites and then came to Earth to be with us (Emmanuel). I wouldn't skip that part of MFW at all; it is so interwoven into the LA it just all naturally comes together.
MFWK (twice), MFW1 (thrice), ADV, & ECC
ds11 (5th), ds9 (3rd), dd7 (2nd), & dd5 (Trisomy 21)
Thankful for home schooling, my children, my DH, & my LORD and Savior Jesus Christ
gratitude

Unread postby NicoleJ » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:21 pm

Thankyou lovely ladies!

That was a very great review of MFWGr1. You're right, I wouldn't want to miss out on the Biblical foundation that it will give my DD. That is too special to miss. I will try it as it is written and see how we go. Thankyou! :)
NicoleJ

Unread postby Poohbee » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:29 pm

Erin Kate, thanks for that beautiful description and summary of what MFW 1st grade consists of! It makes me even more excited to be using it for the second time in the coming school year. I thoroughly enjoyed it our first time through with my eldest dd, and now I am excited to share MFW 1st with my 2nd dd, starting in August. I can't wait to get started with MFW 1st and CTG!
Jen
blessed to be wife to Vince (15 years)
and mom to Grace (13), Hope (9), and Jacob (5)
have used MFW since 2006
2014-2015: 1850MOD and K
Poohbee

1st grade content list

Unread postby cbollin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:40 am

Smoakhouse wrote:I have search the web site but could not find a topics list for 1st grade. Does anyone know if there is a list of lessons any where? I just want it for planning purposes. Thanks,

Do you mean for the science and math? If so... go to the 1st grade Ideas forum here
viewforum.php?f=22
scroll down to the parts where the titles are books/activities..... the first section lists the math topics. The next section lists the science topics.

If you mean, what order is phonics taught it? I don't think that's listed in detail. probably intentionally. anyway, starts with review of short vowels, intro to long vowels, then after that your standard phonograms and all of them are taught in first 2/3's of the program.

Bible - about 52 stories to represent a good overview of OT and NT. done in order....

is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

Smoakhouse wrote:I guess I was looking for the science/bible subjects.
I was thinking about something sorta like the 26 themes from kindergarten.
Thanks,

The first grade program is not set up the same style of unit themes as Kindy.

Usually Science is scheduled 2 days a week - 1 day for readings and activities from the packaged books. Then one day as "exploration day" (more experiments, activities, do it again, nature walks). The topics are not intentionally related to other studies. It might happened once in a while if I recall. But not with the unit theme design in Kindy, nor in ADV with Bible theme. Those topics are the titles listed in the Ideas forum:
Things Outdoors:
Close to the Ground
The seasons
Flowers and seeds
Trees
rain
thunder/lightning
rivers
beaches
under the sea
sun/moon
volcanoes
stars/planets
rainbows
ice/snow
Measuring

Water topics - more details on whatever I wrote on this thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3557

Plants/botany

So the science is a general science year, hands on fun stuff. A little bit of reading. ideal for this age.

Bible/Language Arts: Overview from Genesis to Revelation in phonics, composition and art. Memory Work/Character is from Proverbs.

So I guess the overall theme in Bible in 1st could be characterized as Learning the Word of God, and applying it to our character and everyday lives with wisdom.

-crystal
cbollin

Return to 1st Grade Archive