Prep - Getting supplies & materials ready for MFW-K

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
toddzetta

Re: READY TO START! Any advice ?

Unread post by toddzetta » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:44 pm

Welcome to MFW!! Remember to have lots of fun!! It is so easy to get tunnel vision on getting everything done on a list.

Blessings,

Todd
Todd- part time homeschool dad
Began MFW 2010
Currently in CTG with Dd 11 and Dd 9
Ds 3 using MFW toddler program

♥nbamaboyz

Re: READY TO START! Any advice ?

Unread post by ♥nbamaboyz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:35 am

Enjoy! The ladies here are awesome in helping each other out. Order butterflies when the time comes.
Thats the best $3 I have spent on FUN stuff for the kids!

~hahaha just had to add about blogs & Christmas cards....
(dh thinks every single year we need a family photo to send his customers for Christmas :~ )
oh my...... We should have recorded our 2 dozen attempts with kids bouncing all over the livingroom
& me lol'ing at our speedy timer while slinging kids on barstools
BUT hey EVENTUALLY everyone was smiling with our tree behind us & thats exactly what I sent our customers!!

Yodergoat

New here

Unread post by Yodergoat » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:17 pm

dschurma wrote:Hi, I'm Dawn. I've been lurking around here for a while, and it's been such a joy to read your posts and learn from you.

I taught 2nd grade in a Christian school for 9 years before having kids, and I feel such a tug to homeschool my children. I wanted to find a curriculum that was very gentle for an older four year old, strongly Christ-centered, and easy on a mama with little ones underfoot. I've looked online at preschool and kindergarten programs for several months, asked our homeschooling friends for advice, and prayed about what God wanted for our family. My friend recommended MFW K. It seems like the perfect fit for our family.

Just got the go-ahead from my husband to purchase the basic K kit. :)
Welcome along! MFW K is so much fun and a great start to homeschooling! We are just about to finish week 16, and I have gotten the First package for next school year.

One thing you can do in between getting your package and starting in September will be to gather fun stuff you find for each unit and putting it in file folders. I did as the teacher manual suggests and set up 26 folders, one for each unit in the order they are presented, plus a Creation folder. I put them in a file cabinet but one could use a file box or something. I labelled the hanging folders with each unit name, put in the appropriate student sheets for each one, and then just kept my eyes open at used books sales, yard sales, thrift stores and the like for things that fit in with the theme for each unit. I ended up having some fun "extras" in each and every folder... and for very little expense as most things I got for 25 cents or so. I put in little books, puzzles from thrift stores, coloring pages I printed off the computer, craft ideas, recipe ideas and more. Remember that it doesn't have to fit exactly, as each unit has sort of an over-arching theme (cow is also farm animal, zebra is also wild animal, octopus is also sea animal, moon is also space, etc) and sometimes the items didn't fit with the exact animal or item we were studying but fit with the bigger theme or the character or Bible lesson. Every time I found something that fit with a theme, I would get so excited! It helped pass the time between getting the box and starting school! :-)

Again, welcome along!

Posted Fri May 04, 2012 11:46 pm by Yodergoat
I had a blast looking for items for each unit, especially at thrift stores or yard sales or the library bookstore (mine has 25 cent kid books and 50 cent videos or audio books). I found at least one very cheap book, puzzle, sticker sheet, video or other fun item for each unit. I bought them in secret, tucked them in the file folders, and each new unit had at least one fun surprise. I would also put in coloring pages or similar things that I came across. Our Butterfly and Frog folders in particular were practically bursting at the seams with all the stuff I found!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

manyblessings

Re: Kindergarten supplies???

Unread post by manyblessings » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:56 pm

ctrigo77 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:42 pm
I'm just starting the homeschool journey with my 5yo son. We are super excited to be homeschooling, but since we are just starting we have tons of questions.

I just purchased the deluxe edition in the kindergarten program, including the literature books. Are there any supplies I should be rounding up while I am waiting for the curriculum to arrive. I am a planner so any suggestions would be amazing!
It's been a long time since I used K, but the things that come to mind are:

a binder to store the student sheets,
shelves or bins to store the teacher's manual and all the other books/materials that come with the curriculum,
and your usual supplies like construction paper, white paper, child-safe scissors, glue, crayons, markers, pencils, colored pencils, etc.

Hopefully somebody else will have some more specific suggestions for you :)
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA
2018-2019 LGS

Poohbee

Re: Kindergarten supplies???

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:39 am

Welcome to homeschooling and to My Father's World! Your excitement is contagious! It is so exciting to get started on this homeschooling journey, isn't it? I started homeschooling my oldest in 2006 with My Father's World Kindergarten, and now, 10 years and 2 more kids later, we are starting our 11th year of homeschooling with a 10th grader, 6th grader, and 1st grader. The years just seem to fly by!

I recently completed MFW kindergarten for the 3rd and final time. It was bittersweet to finish using it. I absolutely LOVE the MFW K curriculum.

A few things I used that I found helpful: envelopes (one for each letter of the alphabet) to hold the picture cards your student will cut out each unit; a small plastic bin to hold the envelopes of picture cards. I invested in a laminator so I could laminate the things we would use often, like the blend ladder sheet and the letter bingo cards. We used modeling clay and Sculpey clay a number of times to make some things in various units. Those are just a few of the things I can think of right now.

I bet you are really looking forward to Box Day! It's so exciting to get that curriculum so you can look through it and start planning. I usually like to read through the first preparation pages and the first couple of weeks of the plans a few times to really wrap my mind around how it will work. Of course, you'll tweak and make changes as you go after you get started.

Enjoy Box Day and preparing for your son's kindergarten year! So exciting!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy