MFW-K and state requirements for social studies, days,

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
cbollin

MFW-K and state requirements for social studies, days,

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:49 pm

morningirl wrote:Hi, I'm new here on the message board. I'll be starting the MFW Kindergarten curriculum with my daughter soon and have a couple questions.

First, according to SC law I'm supposed to document teaching in Reading, Writing, Math, Science, and Social Studies. Is there a part of MFW that would be considered Social Studies?

Thanks for any help!
AnneMarie in SC
mom to Liana
Welcome to the board!

Social Studies: in MFW K, I think all of the character development lessons are social studies. Additionally there is map work for continents and oceans and some other assorted stuff in there that can get classified in the very broad category of social studies. So that's plenty for Kindy level. It is integrated into the Science/Bible/Social Studies activities sections.

welcome along.

-crystal

Dusenkids

Re: MFW-K and state requirements for social studies, days,

Unread post by Dusenkids » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:23 pm

Welcome along!

We just started K a month ago. My plan is to move on to MFW-1 when we finish. Still consider my ds a Ker. He will just happen to be doing 1st grade work. That gives us time to slow down later if need be or take some extra fieldtrips without feeling rushed or guilty. Keep in mind that school may not always be around the table, workbooks open. It might be a day of baking, reading recipies, learning to measure, reading temps and the such.

SS is mixed in with the science and bible. I'm not familiar with SC law so I don't know how much you have to doc. Ohio has standards that the ps teachers use. If you are concerned about it, you might find a copy of your state standards an compare, mark it in your tm. I think you will be surprised how much SS is included.

Enjoy K. We are loving it, and from what I've read on here, it only gets better!
Martie
Married to Nathan 15 years
Mom to 8 boys ages 12 to newborn
Have used Kindergarten to Modern

Julie in MN

Re: questions about starting K

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:52 pm

morningirl wrote:Is there a part of MFW that would be considered Social Studies?
Social Studies in MFW-K is really far more than usually expected in ps. Things like coloring a picture of a police officer, making a list of class rules, having a Halloween party, and listening to the teacher read a paragraph from Scholastic News about the president (like the old Weekly Reader) might be social studies for the day or the week.

I always like to peek around the internet for examples. At the gradeschool my kids attended:
  • Social Studies: The social studies curriculum involves learning how to respect other people, how to solve conflicts, how to share, and what other people want and need. Theses are the Richfield Core Values. The children will explore family life today and in the past. They learn to take care of their classroom community. The children will discover maps, globes, and geographical features.
And believe me, "discover" means very little. Even in 2nd grade, my ds would get a little half-sheet of paper to find something on the globe, and he would write random things that weren't even close to being correct. "Discovery" doesn't mean "teaching."

Don't worry, your kids will get a lot of social studies :)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

morningirl

Unread post by morningirl » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:12 pm

Thanks for the advice, Ladies! :)
AnneMarie in SC
mom to Liana

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi, AnneMarie -

We just finished the K curriculum. It's wonderful! Our daughter finished the year reading (& loves it!!), counting money, adding, subtracting, counting by 10s.... She learned so much from the extra books the curriculum recommends, and the times we spent snuggled on the couch reading books together were just invaluable.

For Social Studies, you might grab an extra book during your library trips about going to the dentist, doctor's office, firefighters, etc... then document the book you read that week in your records. Most kindergartens do very little in "Social Studies". If you could visit a police station or fire station during the year, that would be great, too!)

Hope you enjoy your MFW K journey! You'll LOVE it! :-)

Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

marsha617

Unread post by marsha617 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:04 pm

Social studies for K is things like careers (police officer, firefighter, etc.), world countries or simple map skills, neighborhoods, community, things like that. If you desire to buy something outside of MFW K I suggest a cheap workbook with pics to color and some books from the library along with a field trip or two. Printing out pages from the internet for free would work just fine. If you want to spend a little more $$$ Enchanted Learning offers lots of social studies topics with books to print and color for Kinder. That costs $20 a yr. Maybe someone you know can split the cost with you. I would say character study also falls in that category. It's about people and that's SS! ;) Is there an easy way to look it up the requirements with your state? I'm in TX. There is absolutely no oversight here! Can't give advice on that. HTH
Andrew 10
Nathan 8
Ryan 5
Josh 2
Yes, we have ALL boys. Life is fun and always interesting!
MFW since 2008; CTG this coming school yr.

cbollin

SS/History in MFW K?

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:13 pm

erin.kate wrote:This seems like a silly question, or maybe an obvious one ... but my state "requires" social studies, even at the K level. What would be considered social studies in MFW K? Along the same lines, what about "history", as we may be moving to a neighboring state in September that requires history. Thank you!
Social studies stands for a variety of topics in
history
geography
gov't
econ

at kindy level MFW covers a lot of geography. Econ at Kindy level is usually interaction in "real world" where you let children know what jobs people do. That's done in field trips.

history - usually done in kindy level in homeschools via holidays. in mfw, if you have older siblings programs.. .they are covered by it in family style. or with just "tell me a story"... many read alouds can cover a ton of social studies even in kindy level....

gov't - in schools they teach who is in charge. in family, you are teaching them where they belong, and who to obey at church, co-op etc. It's all covered in the "religion" part of the program.

Do they just require social studies is taught? Then, yes it is in MFW K.
Do they require a specific sequence - my guess is no. what state?

-crystal

gratitude

Re: SS/History in MFW K?

Unread post by gratitude » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:13 pm

Our states may differ but having friends and neighbors who teach in the public school this is my understanding of social studies/history scope and sequence for early grade school:

K - Family/Community. What community does the child live in. What family are they in. Some states even 'define family' with books read aloud in K to include many different types of families. Learn things about the community. This community could be as small as a suburb development with a grade school in the middle or as large as a farming community with a grade school in the middle of miles of acreage. It would include things like fire station, police station, grocery store, farming; think Richard Scarry's Busy Busy Day with Huckle.

1st - Community continued.

2nd - USA

This is my understanding. I could be a bit off, as it has been at least a year or two since it was last explained to me. So the goal is different. In the schools they start with self and expand outwards to USA and then in 6th (?) start to expand to world. In my day world didn't come until 9th, but I believe it has dropped to 6th. I could also be wrong about USA in 2nd since I don't think they actually start history until 3rd.

Compare this now to MFW history/social studies scope and sequence ~ God created everything (K). Bible History creation to Revelations (1st). 1000 AD to present (2nd). So in this view we are already looking at the universe in K (starting with God), looking at history from beginning to the present chronologically, and focusing on God rather than self or ones country. Very different out-look.

So where is social studies in MFWK? My answer would be every time it has a suggestion to study something that is in your community. Last time I did it we were still in the country. So for the goat unit we went to look at the neighbors goats, for the horse unit we took a walk to the neighbor's horse arena, for the apples we went to the apple orchard nearby, etc... In this way we actually did K social studies. Next time we do MFWK we will be in the city... so lets see... for the zebra we will go to the zoo in our community, for the elephant we can go to the zoo, for nature to the large 100 acre park in city, etc... etc. Then add some police and fire men and you are covering what I believe they focus on for K social studies. We did go on a field trip to the fire station for K for my oldest.

Crystal had great in-sight. I hope this helps too. I feel like I have been very talkative this weekend....

Yodergoat

Re: SS/History in MFW K?

Unread post by Yodergoat » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:24 am

I have found that we cover many subjects that I would think of as "social studies" and "history" during read-alouds, some of which are off the suggested book list. Such as during Horse unit, we read about different ways that horses have been used by people through the years, the origins of breeds in different countries, and about how other countries and cultures use different working animals (like yaks and water buffalo and camels). I would consider that social studies and history! Or during goat we read that book "Beatrice's Goat" which talked about a family in Africa. Family/culture/geography=social studies! We just read about Jumbo the elephant in a book and she learned about what the circus was like long ago, as well as about England and America and how each wanted Jumbo. History! Social studies!

And so much of learning about community comes from being able to be out and about in the community, just shopping or running errands or whatever. Not saying public school parents don't take their children shopping... because I know they do. But I see very little "educating" going on as they do so... it just seems to be about getting it done. Whereas when I see homeschoolers out shopping, I hear the moms answering questions and pointing out things all the time and I know that is certainly what I am doing. Constantly! So the learning never stops and much of the learning when out and about is social studies.

Here is the scope and sequence I found for K social studies... not sure what state or anything. Seems very general. I just printed the late second quarter goals. Looking at these I can easily see how MFWK could fulfill these, plus some! There is much less emphasis here on FAMILY than I expected! :~

LATE SECOND QUARTER
History
A. Use a calendar to determine the day, week, month and year.
D. Recognize that the actions of individuals make a difference, and relate the stories of people from diverse backgrounds who have contributed to the heritage of the United States.

People in Societies
A. Identify practices and products of diverse cultures.
B. Identify ways that different cultures within the United States and the world have shaped our national heritage.

Government
C. Explain the purposes of rules in different settings and the results of adherence to, or violation of, the rules.

Citizenship Rights and Responsibilities
A. Describe the results of cooperation in group settings and demonstrate the necessary skills.
B. Demonstrate personal accountability, including making choices and taking responsibility for personal actions.

Social Studies Skills and Methods
A. Obtain information from oral, visual, print and electronic sources.
B. Predict outcomes based on factual information.
C. Communicate information orally, visually or in writing.
D. Identify a problem and work in groups to solve it.

I've got lots of that stuff going on from read alouds and assigned or suggested activities in K that would surpass these goals. Except mayhap for D in Social Studies Skills and Methods. Not much group problem solving going on at home with the one child. ;) But you know, we don't always have a group to help us in life, do we? And I remember most "group work" in public school as a child meant that one or two responsible children came up with the solution while the rest goofed off. 8| It was more like "E. Learn how to shirk your personal responsibility because someone else in the group will do it for you." (I was the responsible one who did everyone else's work, can you tell?)

I work with K age children at church and they often refer to what they are learning in public school.... it seems like in social studies they are learning that we are part of a community and that as a responsible citizen in our community we must help take care of it. I remember talking about sin with a group of public school kindergarteners (all in the same classroom at their school) and when I asked them to name a sin they ALL mentioned and agreed that leaving the water on when brushing your teeth was a sin against God. :~ They must have just had a lesson about water conservation that day. Not saying we should be wasteful of course, but still... that was the only "sin" they could name until I reminded them of the ten commandments. %| All regular church-going families, by the way. Their parents would have been aghast that wasting water was the only sin their child could name. And I have a suspicious feeling that such as this is the emphasis in social studies in public school these days...

Anyway, I think that with all the great suggested activities and book lists for K, there is plenty of room to go above and beyond the government's idea of Social Studies in K. And as another said, with the focus being on God!

I suppose much of it depends on how much recording you must do to claim your time for social studies, and how you can think to phrase it to satisfy those goals.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Yodergoat

New to Homeschool and need help

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:47 pm

robina79 wrote:My daughter started her kindergarten year in public school and right after Christmas my husband and I decided to pull her out and start homeschool. I ordered a basic curriculum since she was in school for the first half of the year. I'm doing 2-3 units a week trying to figure out where she is at in her learning. Is this a good or bad idea? Is there any other way to figure out where I should pick up? She knows all her ABC sounds and written. Knows how to write them. Knows numbers 1-20 but stumbles on 13 which I think most do. Can count to 20 and recognizes up 100. I am lost on what to do. I don't want to bore her, which I am. When I talk about the unit subjects she knows them all so far.
Thank you all for your help.
Robin
If you have just taken her from public school in December she may need some time to slow down and get into the groove of home learning. It will be very different from what she did at school, with much shorter days and plenty of time for play. It can take a while to get out of the classroom mindset for both the student and the parent. Slow down, take a breath, and take the time needed to adjust to this change. Enjoy the new freedom and time you will have to help your daughter learn through playing and to make learning enjoyable.

If she is claiming to be bored, it sounds as if you may need to delve a little more deeply into the units and broaden the scope of ideas, which is easy to do with the help of the library... or even the internet. Instead of just learning about the unit subject (let's say you're on the N unit, Nest), expand it out into all sorts of animal homes. Look for books on animals that live in dens, burrows, or even hives. Talk about how God protects some creatures in their homes by allowing them to hibernate, and explore that with books. Talk about animal habitats and ways that God has provided everything they need for safety.

Or for the Elephant unit, take the time to compare African versus Asian elephants, where they each live, and their different adaptations to their environments. You can male comparison charts and expand this into a lesson about comparing and contrasting. Learn about how Asian elephants are used for work in India, or learn about Jumbo the famous circus elephant and the history of circuses in general. Look up the elephant sanctuary in Hohenwald Tennessee and explore their website to see how they help retired circus and zoo elephants. Look up the extinct elephant types such as mammoths and mastodons and compare them to modern day creatures.

There is much to learn about every unit. She can't possibly know all there is to know about a unit subject... surely? My daughter already knew a great deal about the animal based units and so we fleshed them out into areas she did not know. There is so much depth that can be gone into for each unit to make it fun and engaging. If she claims to know everything about a subject, find and then explore something she doesn't yet know. There are many ideas for this in the Kindergarten Ideas section of this forum which can be reached by scrolling down from the Board Index page.

Are you taking the time to do most of the projects and activities? If you are going at a pace of 2-3 units per week this may not be possible. The hands on learning in MFW is there to engage a child and help her learn skills and science topics in a very non-boring way. I can't imagine that you can be including many of these fun activities if you are going at such a fast pace. The activities for each unit and the Bible character lessons are the heart of the curriculum and much is missed if these are glanced over or done too hurriedly. The Bible lessons especially need time to be absorbed. Kindergarten is so much more than just knowing letter names, letter sounds and numbers.

If she already knows all her letters and their sounds, you can still work on improving handwriting, blending the sounds to make words, and reading short vowel stories. There are many great learning games listed in the teacher's manual which can make this sort of learning fun... and lots of ideas in the Kindergarten Ideas section of this forum. Same with numbers and math. If there is something scheduled that just seems far "too easy" for her, cover it briefly, move past it and go on to something more challenging. But do the activities and don't skip the fun!

Please remember that learning at home is going to appear very different from public school, and attitudes and expectations may need time to change.

If you could tell us what unit you are currently on, we may be able to offer some ideas.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

MelissaB

Re: New to Homeschool and need help

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:31 pm

Hi, Robin,

I love Shawna's idea of adding to the curriculum. If you have time to do that, she would learn so much and it will be so much fun for the both of you. Otherwise, if you think you need to move her up to the 1st grade curriculum, do so. (You can always sell the K curriculum on Ebay. ;) )

We started homeschooling the second semester of our daughter's 1st grade year, and it took some adjusting for us, too. I seem to remember her saying, quite a few times, "Mrs. Kendra does it this way." At first, i went along eagerly, wanting to make the transition as easy as possible for her. Finally, after a while, i gently explained that we were going to do things a little differently than at school. I asked her if she would try it for a little while and see how she liked it. Before long, she loved homeschooling.

You know your sweet daughter better than anyone. If you're married, i encourage you to ask Dad his thoughts, too. It's amazing how often Dads have good insight when we think they're completely oblivious. :)

A little prayer and some time to talk with Dad, and you'll make the right decision. :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

robina79

Unread post by robina79 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi Shawna and Melissa,
Thank you for responding to my post. This week we will be starting the turtle unit. Yesterday I was on the internet and these boards...found a few ideas to make it go further. We have done a few of the hands-on exercises in each unit.

I try to stretch it but the lessons are only 1.5 hrs average and I have 4 hours to fill. I'm not sure how I can stretch it without her getting bored of me talking to her or even just reading to her. She's more of a busybody than a sit still kind of a girl. She loves the cut and paste part of everything.

It has been an adjustment for everyone but I have felt this week was much better than last.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:05 pm

I'm so glad things are gradually improving!

I thought I'd link to an old post where many of us brainstormed how to guide our kids into the Charlotte Mason idea of unstructured-but-productive afternoons. http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 9751#p9751

A few other thoughts --
- Some kids are ready for foreign language.
- Most enjoy the extras in the Deluxe package and Enrichment ideas.
- If she isn't normally a sitting-still-for-literature kind of gal, you might consider letting her move around while you read -- my son liked a giant exercise ball, a chin-up bar, and various inventive ways to move while listening to literature.

If you have the time to spend together, it's also a precious opportunity for things like:
- teaching chores http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3275
- taking nature walks (even in winter) http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=256
- planning menus, especially for school lunches http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5948
- learning about holidays http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3439
- teaching something important to you, like Pledge of Allegiance, things about your church, hymns, or weather reports http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 478#p64478

And just so you know, MFW lets kindergarteners be kindergarteners, but 1st grade will be much different. Also, 1st grade is usually more exciting because kids aren't burnt out yet on seatwork.

Here's a post on filling state requirements: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7450
But remember that a lot of what schools do in kindergarten is line up and walk single file (a dozen times a day), learn to get on the bus, put papers in backpacks, everyone has to put their snowpants on (twice at least), develop classroom rules, and as my grandson said, wait wait wait.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:08 pm

robina79 wrote:She's more of a busybody than a sit still kind of a girl. She loves the cut and paste part of everything.
Our youngest daughter is that way. She used to make animals, etc. out of play dough as we read about them. :)
robina79 wrote:It has been an adjustment for everyone but I have felt this week was much better than last.
Sounds like you're doing a great job! :-)

Enjoy!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:40 pm

I am curious about your need to fill 4 hours. Is this a state requirement? I'm wondering because I never expected that much time from my kids in their kinder year. We just did what was scheduled each day and called it good. Some days that took more time than others, but not usually more than 2 hours. And sometimes those 2 hours weren't necessarily all in a row. We might do a half hour of school and need to stop to do something else, then get back to schooling again, as we progressed through our day. Just some random thoughts as I read your post and was remembering way back when... ;)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

robina79

Unread post by robina79 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:36 pm

Hey Dawn,
Unfortunately the 4 hours is a state requirement but I am finding most mom's here don't do it at this age. They only do 1.5 to 2 hours. I am just having a hard time going against it. Haha.

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:23 pm

We have a 4 hour requirement in our state, too (Colorado). What about: P.E. (play dates at the park), Music Lessons, home economics (chores, cooking, measuring. taking care of a pet), foreign language, making cards and taking them to people at a nursing home, etc. A lot of stuff can be learning.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog