Reading - Differentiating the sounds in K

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum

Reading - Differentiating the sounds in K

Unread post by Guest » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:06 am

My 5yo son is just getting the hang of blending the sounds together.

But he's having lots of trouble differentiating between "m" and "n".
I have tried the "mmmm" sound while rubbing your belly, like yummy ice cream. I have tried showing him letterM looks like a "mmmmountain". By saying the word mountain he can get the mmm sound.

Does anyone have any tips in seperating the 2 sounds and keeping them straight?
Thanks for your help

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:35 am

Wendy,

I tried to help my 2nd child distinguish between sounds by having her focus on how the sounds are made with her mouth. She was in speech and language therapy so it was a natural carry over with home exercises.

MMMM -- keep your lips together to keep in that yuMMy ice creaM

N your tongue tries to touch your Nose from iNside

I held up the letters as we practiced the sounds. Made a place on the wall for the letters and had her go to the correct letter as I called out a word.

don't know if that would be fun for your child.

hth
crystal

on the word mountain -- he might be hearing that it has 2 N sounds in it and getting confused. try words with just one of the target sounds. Moose might be helpful.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:05 am

Wendy,

I just starting making up this ditty a few minutes ago after the other post. Not sure what was in my instant coffee this morning. Hope it helps or at least is funny.
-----------------------------------------------------
In a sing song pattern with hand clap on the M

MoMMy Moose Met Me at the grocery store
MoMMy Moose Met Me 'cause we need More

(insert M word food and items in spoken form)

yuMMy ice creaM
MarshMallows
Meatballs
M 'n M's
Masking tape
(then throw it something that is not with an M sound and shake your head saying No.)

(back to sing song pattern)

MoMMy Moose Met Me at the grocery store
MoMMy Moose Met Me 'cause we need More.

and end with a silly laugh.

---------------------------------
crystal -- I really don't know it that will help. But it was a lot of fun trying to compose this ditty and I wanted to share it.

momof3boys

Unread post by momof3boys » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:04 am

Crystal,

That is hilarious, and totally up my sons alley! I will do it tomorrow (it is 11pm here now).

I was doing the things you mentioned in your first post already. But the fact the word mountain had the n sound also didn't occur to me.

But this song will definatly work. He loves songs and goofy things. Thanks so much, and will let you know how it works. :-P -wendy

Karen TX

Mand N sounds

Unread post by Karen TX » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:46 am

Just another tip, when you say a word for him to tell you the beginning sound, or when you eventually get into dictation and spelling words, always have him look at your mouth as you say it. This way when the
sounds are very similar, he can see the position of your mouth as you say the word.

Another thing, is that you may want him to repeat the word after you say it to ensure that he heard the word correctly. Hope this helps. Karen TX

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:42 pm

In addition to having the child look at your mouth (and you can exaggerate your mouth positions), have him look at BOTH of you in a mirror.

Sometimes my youngest has a hard time identifying a sound. If I ask what is in the middle of "kit" she might say the /u/ sound. Then, I'll giggle and say, "No, that would be cut." She usually gets it on the next try.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:49 pm

When I read your posts, sometimes I feel like its me writing them two years ago when I was teaching my ds to read! Be encouraged, they do get there!

But, I did just want to mention, these things he's doing sound so developmentally appropriate for his age. I remember the M and N issue with my ds too. How I wish I knew then what I know now. Take your time. He's gonna get it! Keep practicing. Patience in it. You will both get there! (that was particularly hard for me because my first child read at 4-5 yo. My 2nd child read at 6 - 6 1/2--and we still have to take it slow!)

You both will get there.
Thanks too Crystal for your little song! It's only a homeschooling mom who can appreciate these silly little things we make up to help our dc along their path of learning!
Tina, homeschooling mother of Laura (1996), Jacob (1998) and Tucker (2003) In MO
"One of the greatest blessings of heaven is the appreciation of heaven on earth. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."--JIM ELLIOT

kfrench

Unread post by kfrench » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:45 pm

Leap frog letter factory videos. Each letter has a room and says it's sound. It is very visual and my daughter had it all memorized after watching it 3 times. Before she would get them mixed up but she has them down pat and so do the rest of us since she always sings them all in the car.
kfrench