Combining K alongside an OLDER program (author response)

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
cbollin

Re: ECC and K- Any tips on doing these concurrently?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:21 am

I'm doing ECC with a 7th grader, 4th grader and my Kindy kid is in MFW K.

Some general things that are helping:
I tend to break up the Kindy day into 3 smaller time sections to do Math, Phonics, Activities. Kindy girl does math routine as part of her pre breakfast life, phonics is done in the evenings usually so that we can concentrate on working with her, and in the middle of the day we get some of the kindy activities done.

We don't feel the need to do as full of Kindy activities as can be done with the program. I'll look ahead in the unit and look for ways to incorporate the themed activities into regular play time for her, or in my case the 7th grader will read a book to her sister while I work with 4th grader on something. So, I tend to keep in the back of my mind all day what kind of play time or craft would be good to do with kindy girl. We always find a way to get the "unit badge" with the lesson theme done. Even if it is just tracing a picture, or putting stickers on construction paper. One way for constant review is that we tape the badges in Kindy onto a door in the house. (it's by kitchen table going to the basement, so it gets lots of use)

When I keep in my mind that we can have fun in Kindy with the activities, these little ways to do stuff just find their way into our day and week. Then sometimes I feel behind and we'll do Saturday fun to make sure we covered stuff.
We incorporate Kindy girl as much as possible into fun stuff in ECC with cooking, or other crafts, and the music.

I'm liking doing ECC and K together. I've seen a lot of new connections as the geography/animals theme weave in and out of each other. No, they don't line up exactly, but Review and Preview is working. The big girls did Africa unit, then the next week Kindy girl started into section in Kindy with zoo animals (elephant, 'roo, zebra) --- so it worked great from my perspective to have them connected here and there. Then we can do kindy level map work with Kindy girl just like it says in the Kindy manual. She's been hearing sisters do maps, oceans, etc. so she gets a turn to know something.

-crystal

my3boys

Re: ECC and K- Any tips on doing these concurrently?

Unread post by my3boys » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:51 am

We are doing ECC and k this year. We do the K theme lessons, stories, calendar, # chart/coin cup at a circle time first thing in the morning. Then I do academics and ECC with my oldest for the rest of the morning. After lunch I do the k reading lessons while my oldest is occupied with independent work and reading. My youngest boys were finding it hard to attend for very long at the beginning of the year so that is why I put a long break between the reading lesson and the themed lessons.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

lisa062797

First day of MFWK...again - Adding 2nd child

Unread post by lisa062797 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:35 pm

My middle son, Andrew, started MFWK today! He LOVES it and is looking forward to tomorrow. :) It's so amazing what a difference it makes going through this the second time...I actually know what I'm doing! LOL! Since we are doing the 2-week intro, today only took about 20 minutes, if that. He knows his alphabet and recognizes letters a lot better than I thought! I also managed to get school done with my fourth-grader, run some errands, and we just finished lunch (the kids were treated to BK to celebrate Andrew's first day of K!).

Just wanted to post and share the excitement and encouragement to those who are about to add a 2nd child into the cycle and may be apprehensive. If *I* can do it, anyone can! Trust me.
Lisa in MN
Wife to Nick
Mom to
Vincent (11) Completed MFWK, MFW1, ADV, ECC, CtoG, RtR, and currently in EX1850
Andrew (6) Completed MFWK, and currently in 1st
Isaac (4) Currently enjoying MFW preschool toys

MelissaM

Is it difficult to do both ECC and K or 1st together?

Unread post by MelissaM » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:54 am

nikicole wrote:We're going to be beginning MFW for our upcoming school year and I'm trying to figure out how our days are going to work. For those of you who do both ECC and either Kindergarten or 1st grade, do you have any tips on making it work, or even examples of a typical day? I have a 10 and 7yo that will be doing ECC together and a 5yo that will be doing either K or 1st . I'm just concerned about the amount of individual time required for K or 1st and how hard it actually is to do with ECC (or any of the years). My 7yo requires a lot of attention as well, or else I lose him to legos or the cat or any other number of distractions :~ , so I know I can't expect him to "work" for up to two hours while I'm with my 5yo. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and responses!
Lindsay
Well, one advantage of doing the K program is that it takes less time to teach, so if you're concerned about doing 2 programs, that would be a way to sort of ease into it. I love the K program and recommend not missing it. But I am in the better late than early club, so ymmv. If you start with K and find it is too "light" you can beef it up, accelerate it, or invite the K'er to participate in some of the ECC.

I would get your younger a set of ECC student sheets, whatever program you decide to put him in. (I need to get my Ker a set, wishing I'd done that when I ordered ECC.) I am only a few weeks into ECC, but we started K in the fall; I do not find it too difficult to do both programs. K is very teacher-friendly (I'll admit, there's a learning curve to the TM, but once you get in a groove, it's pretty smooth), and does not take a long time to teach. We don't do every single game or activity; sometimes, my Ker wants to do the ECC art project. Sometimes my 4th grader wants to do the K science experiment.

We all do ECC Bible time together. Okay, my Ker comes and goes on that, but he has been memorizing the Bible verses, and my 4th grader has been memorizing the Ker's words to remember, LOL. 6yo is done way before the 4th grader, so he goes off to play with the 18mo or play outside or something. Then he'll wander back and ask to do a map like big sis, or whatever. We all listen and dance to the cd. We all watch videos related to both programs (penguins for K recently, Mexico for ECC).

:)
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

beaglemamma2008

Re: Is it difficult to do both ECC and K or 1st together?

Unread post by beaglemamma2008 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:11 am

Hi Lindsay! I'll be in the same situation as you next year with one in ECC and one in K. I can't tell you what ECC is like as far as how long it takes to complete your school day, etc., because we're only in Adventures right now, but I can tell you that our K year only took about an hour per day (maybe an hour and a half), and that included craft time, too! MFW has such a reputation for being a good steward of your time and your children's time that I don't think you'll have any trouble combining the two, but hopefully someone who's BTDT will chime in!...
Oops! Melissa and I were typing at the same time. There's your "someone who's BTDT!" :-)

I just wanted to add one suggestion for your son. You said you can't expect him to work for up to two hours while you work with your K'er or 1st grader. K and 1st are both very easy to break up into subjects, so you could always take advantage of whatever "independent time" the older one has to knock out a subject with the younger. For example, get your younger's math done while the older is doing math workbook exercises, get younger's phonics/reading done while the older is doing book basket time, etc. In our home, independent time includes the following:

Book basket time - 20 minutes
Singapore math workbook - varies, but around 15 minutes
Handwriting - 5 minutes
Keyboarding - 20 minutes
Reading - 10 minutes (required by Texas law)
Foreign language - maybe 5 minutes (We use The Learnables on the computer. Just couldn't cough up the $ for Rosetta Stone! ;) ).

You can see we have added some things in addition to MFW (handwriting, keyboarding, reading), but it's what works for our family, and it does keep the older one preoccupied so I have time to work with the younger.

HTH!
Jennifer, mom to:
Hannah, 8. Finished and loved K, 1st, & Adventures. Currently loving ECC.
Millie, 5. Finished Pre-K and K "lite." Currently playing her way through K "for real."

http://www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com

nikicole

Re: Is it difficult to do both ECC and K or 1st together?

Unread post by nikicole » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:38 am

Wow, thanks so much for all your input! Lots of great ideas!

I hadn't even considered being able to break up his day, that will definitely make things work better for us. I guess I assumed it needed to be done in one sitting!?! I'm sure I'll get a better understanding of it all once I get my hands on everything.

One other thing I've just considered is going ahead and ordering K and starting it now before we begin ECC in the fall with my other two. For one, I think my son is going to breeze through K for the most part, but I want him to get that "kindergarten" experience before being thrown into 1st grade. He's very bored these days and I think it would be really good for him to have some "school" of his own. We do take a summer break though, so we'd probably just stop it however far we get and then continue in August when we start back up full time. Then we'll just go straight to 1st when we're done, even if it's mid-school year. And secondly, I can get a taste of what to expect in the fall when my other two begin ECC.

momonthemove

Doing ECC and MWFK ... Thoughts, ideas, etc?

Unread post by momonthemove » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:55 pm

Jesus_is_King wrote:Looking forward to MFW this year. Had an awesome meet-up with the folks in Boise, ID and it really helped settle my decision, plus get my hubby involved! THANKS!!! :D

We have already settled on ECC for our 2nd, 3rd and 6th grader this year, although I'm planning to get the 7th/8th supplement ... We need some specific help/encouragement in the area of writing for our 6th grader and I think the "Writing a Country Report" will be great for this!

I'm considering also doing MFWK for my almost 5yo (Oct) ... I looked through the samples and love how put-together it is and simple to follow. I'm kind of torn because I've never done a specific K curriculum before. We've always used 100EZ Lessons and miscellaneous workbooks (specific ones like Horizons Math, as well as Brain Quest ones and such). He's really (finally) getting interested in "doing school" and will often as me to do some workbook pages with him.

My concern is time. I've attempted SL before and quit 10-12weeks in because it required too much time (of me). This last year my 6th grader did SOS and my girls did LifePacs. It went great. They loved it. But I felt like something was missing ... it was almost as though they didn't really need me!!! LOL. So I want to add MFW so we get some actual literature/reading/activities in. Am I going to get overwhelmed easily by trying to do 2 different packages? In order for my sanity (and house LOL) to stay in tact, I really need to be pretty much done with school by lunch or shortly thereafter ... otherwise I just can't get everything else done that needs done in a day.

Looking forward to MFW, either way!!!
Well, I am doing ECC and MFWK as we speak. We are in week 3 of it.

I have a 7th grader so we are doing more supplements and wow his science has really stepped up time. Plus we will do a literary book/guide starting in August. ANd, we will add foreign language starting next week. Thankfully, most of his work is independent and that helps.

For me, it works when I have planned ahead and have looked over what I am doing the night before. Even though it is open and go, my 5 year old does distract and I do better when I have read it ahead of time. That also saves me from saying...oh no...we need xyz for this today so we gotta skip it.

What I have learned is that I have to have the boys start independent work first thing and focus on daughter with MFWK or it easily gets pushed to the side. Plus, she does best first thing.

ANd, I have started having them be assigned play time with her, when I am working one-on-one. Sometimes she joins us when we do ECC. Other times, not. And, I am fine with either.

It does work! And, I think we are finally getting into a better pattern of things. It just takes time.

Good luck.
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

lea_lpz

Re: Doing ECC and MWFK ... Thoughts, ideas, etc?

Unread post by lea_lpz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:17 pm

I don't have any experience with teaching those grades, but I thought I'd share with you that Rod & Staff has a workbook set for 5 year olds (k but they lump it in as preschool) which features world geography and would coordinate really well with ECC for your k'er. They also have coloring books based on different countries you can check out if you want your k'er to have something to do at you kindy guy's level when the older kids are doing ECC. Just a suggestion :) . I am doing MFW K right now for my oldest and we love it. I find it works really well and am only on unit 5 but am already seeing improvement in my dd's ability to recognize numbers and letters, and she really enjoys the hands on activities.

If you have the time, I would really consider doing K. For me, teaching MFW K, as spelled out in the tm, doing all activities is typically taking about 1 hour, sometimes 1 1/2 if we have a fun project to do. What people with older children in the 5 year cycle do if time restraints make teaching K as written is just use the math, language and (maybe) bible (by the way, bible is awesome!), and use the older child's core for the k'er. So, if you just did language, math, & bible from MFW K, it would only take about 30 minutes, which you could probably do when your older child does independent work. Then, let the K'er do fun projects from ECC. MFW suggests getting student sheets for the younger child to join your older children, although you'd probably be the be the best judge on whether you think your k'er would use them. Then, you'd probably still be keeping your school day in the 3 to 4 hr. range. Others who have experience will probably chime in. ;).
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

Jesus_is_King

Unread post by Jesus_is_King » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Deb -
Thanks for the reply!!! It's awesome to hear that someone else is doing (and surviving!) what I'm considering!!! LOL

How long would you say you actually spend "at the table" with the 5yo when you're doing it? I'm thinking Levi might do better in 20minute chunks. Not sure. Some days he's completely excited and other days he isn't interested at all. Honestly, my biggest concern is convincing hubby that I will use the $200 curriculum ... and then not using it. Plus, I LOVE to over-analyze, look at all the options fourteen times and drive my hubby nuts asking what he thinks ;)

Lea (?) -
Thanks!! I will look at those!!! I do think as far as "curriculum" goes, I'm thinking more like Bible and Reading stuff that is at his level. Maybe some Singapore Essential Math. On the other hand, maybe I should have ordered two weeks ago when I had it all figured out ... so I couldn't keep changing my mind!!! ;)
Kathleen ~
Married to Mr. Mike for 14 years!!!
Bradon - 11; Alexys - 8 1/2; Haylee - 7; Levi - 4 1/2; Alli - 2 1/2

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:08 pm

We did ECC and MFW K together, not this past school year, but the year before that. Those two years fit very well together! During both years, you study African animals, penguins (fits with South America and Antarctica), and there are probably other themes that go together. One of the recommended books for ECC is something about How to Eat an Apple Pie and See the World, or something like that, and you study apples in K, so that fits well. The themes in the two years don't necessarily coincide with each other, but I was delighted when sometimes it worked out that both kids were studying the same thing at or close to the same time.

MFW K only takes maybe an hour to complete, and you could certainly do it in 20 min. chunks, as you mentioned. There are 3 or 4 parts during the MFW K day: math concepts (but they are also sometimes included in the activity), reading lesson, activity (which includes art, science, literature, etc. depending on the day). So, you can break the day into 3 or 4 segments, if you like, or you can do it all in one sitting.

ECC takes probably around 4 hours (well, I guess that included my math, language arts, etc.).

I just wanted to encourage you that ECC and MFW K really go beautifully together, because so many themes overlap or coincide. Also, for next year, CTG and MFW 1st go great together, too, as you are studying the Old Testament in both.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi, Kathleen -

Nice to have you along! :)

We combined ECC & K two years ago. I scheduled Kindergarten in three 30-min. time segments (though it often didn't require that much time, once you get going): Math (excellent program!); Phonics/Reading; and Science.

Last year [combining CTG & MFW 1st], we needed to finish by noon. We had to start a little earlier than usual, but we did it. We often didn't have time to do Music/Art, so I scheduled one hr. on Friday mornings to finish it. You can do it! :-)

Doing ECC with Kindergarten was one of our most wonderful, memorable years. It is such a rich curriculum - both of them, and they go together so well.

May I offer 3 suggestions?
1. Invest in the Book of Animals - your entire crew will love it. (!!)
2. Don't skip playing the Geography Game. Skip Math if you need to. Skip taking a bath or brushing teeth - but don't skip the Geog. Game. :-) You're going to be truly amazed at how much geography they retain (even years later!) of capitals & countries on every continent - just by playing the game.
3. If you can, consider taking the Nature Walks. Going out once a week (or once a month is just fine:) to sit and draw one specific tree was pretty memorable - the bugs they saw; the giant spider's web they found one week; knot holes in the trunk they spied for the first time even though we'd been to that tree several times throughout the year; watching the leaves change - lots of giggling & "oooohh's"... So fun.

You're going to have an incredible year. Enjoy!
Melissa B.

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:54 pm by MelissaB
We combined K & ECC, and they fit perfectly together. Both of your children will be studying animals, and there are many activities in ECC that they'll be able to do together (and a lot of the Kinder. activities your ECC student will want to join, too!).

You're going to have such a fun year. Enjoy!! :-)

Posted Mon May 13, 2013 9:32 pm by MelissaB

This is our sixth year to homeschool. We did Kindergarten and ECC together a few years ago. There are so many activities in ECC that all of your children can do together, including your sweet 6 year old. The Kindergarten and ECC curriculums go so well together.(!) You're 6 year old can jump in where she's comfortable: Windows in the World (during Bible class); science experiments; and helping find animals in the Great Animal Search book. I highly recommend The Book of Animals - all of your children can share it, and they will really enjoy it.

Really, K & ECC were our favorite year together. We still have so many sweet and precious memories of our girls sharing school together for the first time. Both curriculums have a large focus on animals, so you'll find that they intertwine together really well.

*** Don't forget to play the Geography Game. It's more important than any worksheet! :-) And you'll be amazed at how much geography they'll remember even years from now.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:26 pm

welcome along!

a few years ago it was my second time through ECC, and second time through K. First time both of those together. I had 7th and 4th grader in ECC and my youngest (who has autism) in Kindy. It was a fun year for us. My youngest, with her special needs, worked for about 5-10 minutes during wake up and breakfast time in "math" in kindy program. then 15 minutes in language arts from there (and a little bit of speech therapy homework). then she was off to play for a few hours until she came looking for us to hang out. then, the older girls were ready for a break and we enjoyed the Kindy activities together for a few minutes. some days were crazy and the kindy science/bible/social studies was done in evening... but it was all good.

One of my most precious memories was from a day where the older girls were in their memory work in ECC with "city on a hill" verse..... and my youngest (who struggles to speak and all of that with autism) ran and got her MFW Kindy "Jesus is the light of the world" flashcard/badge thingy off the wall and knew those verses had something to do with each other. Her sisters were doing "verses" and she got to have her own verse too.

another precious memory was the day we did the Kangaroo activities. Oldest was the mommy kangaroo and the laundry basket was the pouch... youngest was inside the basket.... we pushed her around and kept her safe and warm..

good memories of it....... ok.. this was a fun memory for me on the night of the penguin craft at last minute with little to no prep on my part due to lack of planning...
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 03&#p46103

ok.. I liked this year...

-crystal

momonthemove

Unread post by momonthemove » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:46 am

Kathleen,

I would say it takes us about 45-50 minutes for my girl. That includes some practice writing her numbers 1-20. We are struggling with the number 3. She writes it at a HUGE slant. LOL

Once I start with her, I try to keep going because she doesn't do as well with a break and then returning. That's just her focus. However, it could easily be broken up.

That said, last year, we were doing HOD with her and a lot of times I would skimp out on her things as we got busier with the boys. My advice is to truly try to block time for your little one so that you don't skip things and don't rush MFWK. We are loving it!

Since I did pay for the MFWK....that is incentive to use it fully too! LOL And, she really is proud to have her own things she does. The boys get excited (maybe because I tell them to) for her!

Here is my blog link....I just posted her scanned in pics from the Creation unit. And, you can see the orange activity too with the boys. http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:46 pm

For my K'er I will of often break it up like this if we have all morning, nowhere to go, so don't need to plow through:
Block 1: (15-20 min)
Math: 100 Jar / chart, calander, extra number writing practice
Block 2: (15-20 minutes)
Language Arts: Day 1, Day 2, Etc. drill, including math sheet , number cup, etc. (sometimes we add more multisensory learning practice or print practice her but not if it is going to exceed 20 min., and on "lighter days")
Block 3: (15-20 minutes)
Read Alouds, 2 books, about 5 minute ea. (10 minutes)
Bible / Verse: Review verse, read Bible portion / do activities involved (usually 5-10 min., enless more elaborate activity, but than usually coupled in with block 3)
Block 4: (15-30 minutes)
Activity: like science, art, social studies, etc. (about 15 minutes, depends on activity, days with longer activities in art or science will typically not have bible that day), also, I sometimes get a little into this and make the art projects more complex than the MFW TM does, so thus the 30 min.

So our typical day will take as little as an hour on short days, up to an hour and hour 'ish on longer days for MFW K activities. This is the complet program though, not just math and language arts. The exception for activities taking more than 30 minutes is when we do a baking project, like for the A a Apple Unit, we baked an apple pie, or if we add in the suggested extra activities, but then I will usually only do an extra if this is a short activitity day, so we don't exceed the 30 min. because we do a 1/2 hour of preschool, too, and Spanish for about 15-30 minutes using La Clase Divertida primarily, and I try to keep my school time to 2 hours tops. If we go over 2 hrs. in the morning, we finish up the rest of the activities in the afternoon, typically the Spanish and MFWK activity, because the preschool activities are done in 3 10 minute blocks between my K'ers blocks
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

TriciaMR

Combining different grade levels, did you try to...

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:22 pm

Melany wrote:I started out our school year just doing Adventures with my 2nd grader and having my newly 5 yr old tag along and participate in the crafts, science, etc. I had ordered a second set of student sheets for him to use. Well my younger son was doing so well with sitting still, participating, etc. that I decided to go ahead and purchase the K curriculum for him. We are currently on day 6 in creation, so haven't really gotten into all of the crafts, etc. that go along with the K, but we are falling behind on getting everything done with the Adventures. I am getting the basics done weekly but some days/weeks not always getting the science experiment done or the art/craft done.

I guess I'm just wondering for those of you who have combined different grades together. Did you try to do all of the activities for each grade level?

Did you (should I) just continue with doing the Adventures activities and then try to add in a few of the K stuff as I can?

Why can't I seem to get everything done each week? It seems like whenever I think I can get one child working on something so I can work with the other one, they always have questions about what they are working on. It is almost like they don't like for me to give the other one attention and so they have to compete and interrupt with questions, etc. Anyone else experience this?

I know that 2 days a week we have swim lessons in the morning so that does kind of interrupt our school day on those days. Do you participate in other activities like that or do you try to keep your days during the week strictly for doing the curriculum?

So many questions :) , I'm just trying to figure it all out I guess.
{Hugs} It is an adjustment to do 2 programs.

I've not done MFW K, but I did MFW 1st and RTR, and this year I'm doing 1850MOD with the 2nd/3rd supplement, which some days feels like 2 programs.

I think I would do the character stuff from K, the phonics, the handwriting, the math. Then, unless I really had the time, do Adventures and do the fun stuff from there.

I try to keep activities to "after" school hours - so dance and piano are in the afternoon. We do have P.E. class on Wednesdays at noon. So, I make our light & independent days fall on Wednesday, when I can.

Then there are days like today, when one of my kids is sick (so doctor's appt. this morning), so Oldest probably got in 4 hours of school (Everything but Science and History), and the other one did a few things. Oh well, best laid plans of a homeschooling mom... :)

{Hugs} You'll get it figured out. Give yourself a lot of grace, and your kids.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Poohbee

Re: Combining different grade levels, did you try to...

Unread post by Poohbee » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:25 pm

I would think it would be hard to fit in everything in both programs. When my younger dd joined our school time doing MFW K, my oldest was a 4th grader doing ECC. I figured out a few subjects that my older dd could do independently to give me time to work with my younger dd. For the first few weeks, though, it is kind of a "training" time, setting up expectations so that my oldest knew how to do her independent work and what was expected of her. So, you can expect that for a couple of weeks. But, pretty soon, they get into a rhythm with their independent work so that they don't need so much help. Some ideas for independent work are handwriting (copying the week's verse), independent reading and book basket, math drill on the computer (we have used the MathUSee site, but currently we use xtramath.org), foreign language, if you do that (we use Rosetta Stone). There may be other things you come up with. Once you get your older one trained to do independent work, that will give you some time to work with your kindergartener.

When we did ECC and K together, I was able to fit in pretty much all of the MFW K stuff, and my younger dd joined us for a few of the ECC activities. But, mostly, when she was finished with her K stuff, she just went off to play while I worked on ECC with my oldest. Last year, we did CTG and MFW 1st together. I did not do the science in MFW 1st. I combined both of my girls using the science in CTG. I had decided that I just wouldn't be able to handle doing everything in both programs. So, I cut science and some of the activities in 1st.

I think you should examine both ADV and K and figure out what you could combine for both kids and what would be fine to leave out. It's certainly fine to do that.

As far as outside activities, during the school day, I have learned that, for my own sanity and in order to accomplish any schooling at all, I really need to limit them. My 3-yo son is autistic, so we have 3 days during the week in which we have therapies for him. However, in working out my schedule for this school year, I tried very hard to give myself a few days with absolutely nothing going on so that we can just be home and do our schoolwork. I protect my Thursdays and Fridays and don't schedule anything on those days. When I do need to schedule appointments, I try really hard to do it after 2 p.m. on any given day so that I can get a good school day in before we need to go to appts. That's just what we've had to do in our house.
Jen

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:49 pm

When I was doing ECC and Kindy, I focused for my kindy child mostly on 3r's and then did kindy activities as time allowed. She was invited to join in fun stuff in ECC but not required to do that. Then, in mid/late afternoon or early evening, the older girls were invited to join to help me teach Kindy with their sister on activities.
I scaled back Kindy stuff and didn't do those as full as someone who would do it with their oldest.

((hugs)) don't feel like you have to do Kindy as full program... use it for language arts and math.... invited kindy kid to join in ADV if desired....

we did kindy math as wake up routines. then right after breakfast did kindy phonics.... older kids were doing other stuff for 10 minutes then we'd get together for a while... youngest would wander off in the house....

-crystal

Erna

Unread post by Erna » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:33 pm

We scaled back on some of the extra projects in K and I'll likely do the same as I revisit K with my third. For 1st, we're skipping science and art. My second daughter joins with the oldest in science, Biblical feasts and activities, and art, although I don't expect much from her on the art pages from CTG. My oldest joins in on circle time with the younger ones where we do calendar, number of the day, memory verse or K motto, etc.

Jami

Unread post by Jami » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:55 pm

I did ADV and Kinder my first year of homeschooling. We did everything because I wanted to do it perfectly (my first year and all) but I did them at separate times during the day since they both needed quite a bit of one on one help. Plus, my kindy guy wanted to do some of the stuff my ADV guy was doing and vice versa.

I found that Kinder only took 30-45 minutes a day though when we focused only on that, and it was much less juggling just to work a couple hours with the ADV curriculum and then fit the Kinder work in after that sometime. We had a two year old and a special needs infant at the time, so I know it didn't go quite as smoothly as it may sound. :)
Jami - AF Wife

8th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, Pre-K

2014/15 ECC
2013/14 1850MT & 1st
2012/13 EX1850 & K
2011/12 RTR & 1st
2010/11 CTG & K
2009/10 ECC & 1st
2008/09 ADV & K

asheslawson

K and 4th Grade (ECC)

Unread post by asheslawson » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:28 pm

karlafoisy wrote:So, I have asked this question to some extent, and I know Marie has instructions on how to teach K and ECC together, but I wonder if people can comment that have actually done it? What did you end up restructuring/rethinking? How did it work? What advice to you have to make it work, practically?
I taught MFW K & ECC to a 4th grader. The year went wonderfully.

Occasionally I did not do a science project for K or ECC, but often I did both. My son, who was 4th grade actually really enjoyed doing many of the K science projects.

I let my daughter, who was in K, pick & choose if she wanted to participate with something that had student sheets - so I did buy her a set. She always did the John 3:16 sheet for bible - she did the airplane from Nate Saint - and several others - but she really didn't do any of the maps too often - she may have colored a few - but only for fun - I didn't make her do the same things as assigned in ECC for the maps to her (my K student).

I really enjoyed teaching them together. She enjoyed most of the read-alouds - there were a few things I read quietly to him or changed words on for her, mostly in some of the missionary stories. She still remembers some of them. K was easy to do most of the seat work, phonics / math, etc. in about 30-45 min's so it really wasn't hard to combine them. I really am hoping that my granddaughter will be homeschooled for at least K & maybe a few more years...because I would LOVE to teach K again. What a wonderful year. And I am truly looking forward to repeating ECC with her in 2 years - she will be in 5th. That is another really fun year!

On that note, looking ahead - 1st takes a little longer than K - but 1st & CTG work beautifully together...and your 5th grader will probably handle a little more of his/her work independently allowing you the xtra time needed for 1st.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Poohbee

Re: K and 4th Grade (ECC)

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:03 pm

A couple of years ago, I taught ECC to my 4th grader and K to my younger dd at the same time. Those two years do work wonderfully together, and ECC is a great year for younger siblings to sit in on.

We started our day by doing the ECC Bible together and the music together. Then my older dd would work on independent work (Book Basket, reading, math drill, handwriting, vocabulary, etc.) while I did the K work with my younger dd. After that, my younger dd would go off to play for a little while, and I worked with my eldest on her science, math, English, and other subjects that she needed my help with. Eventually, I would pull my youngest back in for art and any other "together" activities we had left to do.

My youngest loved joining us as we pretended to travel to new destinations every few weeks. I bought her a set of students sheets and she did the John 3:16 country sheets. She loved the music and art. There were so many things that she could join in on, and yet she still had time in her day to just play.

I loved that, often, topics in ECC and K would correspond. For example, when we learned about elephants in K, we were learning about Africa in ECC. There were a few other times that the topics fit well together.

I would say just try to figure out what activities you think your K student could join in on, what things your 4th grader could do independently while you do K with your younger child, and as you begin your year, things will fall into place. Don't expect too much extra of your K student. Just let him/her do K and join ECC when he/she is able, and give the younger student time to play and just be a kid. :-)
Jen

MelissaB

Re: K and 4th Grade (ECC)

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi, Karla,

Just to echo the others... We did ECC & K together a few years ago, and it was our very favorite year. The two flow very smoothly together. (So do 1st Grade and Creation to Greeks, btw. :) )

You'll love teaching those two together. Enjoy!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

mothermayi

mfwK and EX-1850 at the same time

Unread post by mothermayi » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:38 am

wsterk wrote:This will be my first year teaching older kids and younger ones. I will have 2 in Ex-1850 and 2 kinders. I am sure I will get the hang of it but how do you manage your time. Do you first follow your K schedule for the day and then catch up with older kids in history, read alouds, etc... or do you go back and forth between Kinder and olders or what? I am thinking that there is a lot of teacher/parent directed lessons in both. Just curious if there are some GREAT time management suggestions out there for those who have done this already. :) Thanks.
I am not the best person to answer this because I am in a similar boat (2 in RTR, 1 kindy, 1 prek).

I plan to begin earlier with my pre-k, then kindy, while inviting prek to do bible, science, etc. with her kindy sis if she wants. After I've done about 30 minutes with the kindy, my older kids will begin their independent work. By the time they finish, my kindy and prek students will be done (unless they want to join in on some RTR activities).

I'm sure you will get some wonderful responses from moms that have BTDT. I hope to learn from their experience as well :-) .
Returning to MFW for 2015!! :-)
ds13 (8th)--MFW EX1850, EG, WWS, PP Guides, TT 2.0 Pre-Algebra
ds11.5 (7th)--MFW EX1850, AOG, WWS, PP Guides, Singapore 5B-6B
dd7 (2nd)--MFW EX1850, LLFT2, Miquon, AAS1
dd5--MFW K

TriciaMR

Re: mfwK and EX-1850 at the same time

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:47 am

When I am running two programs, here is one way I have done it.

First, I do the Bible, History and Science (if they're not in the Middle school science) of the older program. The younger ones (pre-K, K, & 1st) are invited to join, but they don't *have* to. But, they usually do. Then the older one can go off and do some independent work (there might be copywork, notebooking pages, and other things from those topics, plus math drill, typing, Rosetta Stone, AWANA verses to study, etc).

Then I spent about 1hour (Pre-K) to 1.5 hours with the younger ones' curriculum. That might vary depending on how much I could teach them together (math is often a subject I can teach my twins together, language arts I do separately, but games together).

Usually by then they are done with "formal" schooling and I could hit math and language arts with my oldest.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

MelissaB

Kindergarten with ECC?

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:24 pm

disneymommy wrote:I posted recently about my hope to use ECC next year with my fourth and second graders. I didn't want to overwhelm myself in my second year homeschooling, my first year teaching three kids, and with another 3.5 year old and 1 year old at home. I was thinking it would be simpler to focus on ECC, with individual math and LA for all three. I also had some reservations about the gentleness of the K and first programs.

However, now after HSing for a year, I think I'm a bit less worried about that. Seeing how much my kids are learning on their own and feeling less tied to the idea of "school at home." I'm second guessing and thinking I may want to use MFW K alongside ECC. I'd love advice about the K program in general and also about the combination of those two. Here are the reasons I'm now considering it:

-My boy who will be in K next year is being evaluated for Sensory Processing Disorder. He's very very active, impulsive, busy and likes to move. His fine motor may be slightly behind. However, he's also very, very bright. After reading a bit more about the K program, I think the math especially would be a good fit for him. I love the idea of doing hands on math for now.

-I realized I really don't want to use what I had planned for phonics. So if I'm looking for something new, it might as well be MFW.

-It just sounds fun!! I think, especially with his activity level and lack of focus, it may be better for me to have him doing his own level of program. Otherwise, I know I'd feel pressure to really force him to sit with us for ECC and I don't know that he'd be ready for that.

-It sounds like my 3.5 year old will be able to participate in a lot of the program and I'd love to be able to do the program with them together (as much as she's able).

-I'm thinking it will actually be simpler for me to have a laid out program and boxes to check for K rather then trying to piece something together myself, even if it's just LA and math.

-I think it will keep me accountable to do some more fun things with the littler ones. My plan this year had been to do some little preschool things with them and I have hardly done anything. Partly because I began my very first year homeschooling with a 3 week old and four older kids and I have been finding my footing, but I think partly because I didn't have anything planned out and I just feel too overwhelmed to put things together last minute.

I guess my three biggest fears are: 1. I will not be able to keep up with both (although that could happen no matter what programs I use), 2. I will find that buying the K program was a colossal waste of time. 3. I'll find that the K program is too gentle for him because he's so bright.

I know I just unloaded a lot of information right here. So any thoughts or advice would be fantastic. Thanks so much!!
Kate
Hi, Kate,

We did MFW K along with ECC. They go together very well! Both study animals (ECC with each ecosystem and continent; MFW K with each letter.)

You'll want to look over both Teacher's Manuals before you begin, and decide early on which activities you want to not do in MFW K, and just allow him to join in with his older siblings in ECC (science, Bible...?). :)

The Book of Animals is a great companion for combining K with ECC, because all of the children will enjoy the short, interesting information about each animal and answer the 3 simple questions at the bottom of the page together. He probably will be able to join in playing the Geography Game, too.

It really is the easiest two curriculums to combine, I think, b/c they are so very similar.

Enjoy!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13