Combining K alongside an OLDER program (author response)

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
hsm

Re: Kindergarten with ECC?

Unread post by hsm » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:42 am

Agreeing with everything Melissa said. We are doing K and ECC this year. They do go very well together. Often my olders join my K'er in his science activities because they are just a lot of fun and my older girls like hands on activities. Like Melissa, I also recommend the Complete Book of Animals. It is useful for both programs. I have used it to teach my K'er about some of the animals in K. All of my kids enjoy that book.

In an earlier post I mentioned that my son has several special needs and K fits him very well. I am able to adapt lessons to meet his needs and this does not take much planning on my part. It is very easy to do. For example for the drawing pages, he simply cannot draw due to fine motor delays so I have him look in a magazine a cut a picture out that starts with the letter we are working on. I was worried early on how I would teach my son anything, especially reading, and he is doing wonderfully. The gentleness is what is working for him. Like your son, he is very bright. He tested advanced in math and other areas and K has still been just what he needs. With his needs (adhd, sensory processing disorder, speech disorder, fine motor, etc), something any more overwhelming or less gentle would have been too much and he would have shut down. He is a highly active, impulsive boy and this program meets him where he is at and he is still learning a lot! And, as a side note, he will not sit to do ECC with my olders. He isn't interested or able to do that amount of seatwork and listening right now even if he can handle it intellectually. I know each child is different but for my son, gentle yet thorough has been the right approach. I wouldn't confuse gentle with ineffective. And, I might add, the Bible truths he has been learning has been wonderful.

I wanted to mention how "I" teach both programs without overwhelming myself in case it can be of use to you. First thing in the morning, I teach my son. He is an early riser and wants to get his work done right away so he can play later. In order to keep him focused, I draw a circle on the whiteboard for each activity I want him to complete in that sitting. For example, if I want him to do 5 activities I draw 5 circles. He then marks off a circle after each activity. This helps him to stay focused and on task as he can see progress and have a sense of accomplishment. It helps him as he is very visual and always wants to know what is coming next, how many things do I have left?. I usually cannot do the entire days worth of work in one sitting. I pick what is most important and do those first. Then he is able to play while I teach my olders. If he wants to join he can but he rarely does. Any fun activities we work on together later, often with the olders joining. We often don't do all of the crafty activities as he doesn't like crafts. However, if your son likes crafts, the tm is full of great ideas. If there is something else he really needs to do that we didn't get to in the morning we either do it later in the day while the olders are working independently or we simply do it the next day.
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:53 am

hsm wrote:In order to keep him focused, I draw a circle on the whiteboard for each activity I want him to complete in that sitting. For example, if I want him to do 5 activities I draw 5 circles. He then marks off a circle after each activity. This helps him to stay focused and on task as he can see progress and have a sense of accomplishment.
That is a great idea. I esp. like the circles. !?
I think we're going to try this with our younger daughter who is a "Get the job done!" kind of girl. ;)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

disneymommy

Unread post by disneymommy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks so much!! I'm glad to hear that K works well with another child with sensory issues. And that it meshes so well with ECC. I like the idea of checking off the circles. I recently started doing a form of workboxes with my older two and he is really looking forward to having a set of workboxes. We use clear drawers so it's easy to see what's left in them. Even if he doesn't have any independent drawers and they are all "with mom," I think filling the drawers for him each day will help him see how much there is to get done.

As far as listening to ECC, I don't know how much he'll actually listen and participate. But I anticipate him being around. This year, we are doing Sonlight. He doesn't really love to listen to what we are reading or have the attention span, but he always wants to be in the room with us. He doesn't typically seem to be paying attention but he does pick up bits here and there.

You're right that I need to let go of the idea that "gentle" means he won't learn anything.

I had been debating the big book of animals for him as well, so after hearing you love it for K, I will order him a copy. What about student sheets? I know the website suggests getting them for every child 3 and over. I was thinking I'd get the ECC student sheets for my second and fourth graders (obviously!) and then the K ones for my Ker and 3.5 year old. But should I even bother with those for her? I just feel I'd rather get materials they can actually use (or just more books to read!) if the student sheets are going to be too advanced for them to really use or enjoy.

Thanks again!! I am getting so excited about ECC next year that I am kind of losing my motivation to finish out this school year :(

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:18 am

Yes, I have found that a visual schedule helps immensely with my fidgety little guy. And the circles are so simple, yet very effective....and free :-)
disneymommy wrote:As far as listening to ECC, I don't know how much he'll actually listen and participate.
My active boy does not sit and listen :)
disneymommy wrote:I had been debating the big book of animals for him as well, so after hearing you love it for K, I will order him a copy. What about student sheets? I know the website suggests getting them for every child 3 and over. I was thinking I'd get the ECC student sheets for my second and fourth graders (obviously!) and then the K ones for my Ker and 3.5 year old. But should I even bother with those for her? I just feel I'd rather get materials they can actually use (or just more books to read!) if the student sheets are going to be too advanced for them to really use or enjoy.
Just to clarify, I only ordered one copy of CBOA for my 3rd grader doing ECC. I don't have my son do any writing in the book. I use the book for informational purposes for him. He doesn't have the fine motor skills to do the pages in the book. There are coloring pages, storybooks, connect the dot pages, word searches, things like that along with the information pages and questions that follow. We do those questions orally. I just wanted to mention this in case you want to purchase only one.

Student sheets...I didn't buy ECC sheets for my son. He wouldn't do them. Again, each child is different and I know that MFW recommends them for all students, but my son isn't a fan of coloring which all he would have done from the student sheets. The other sheets in ECC are mostly geography and science worksheets which would be over his head.

For the K student sheets and your 3 year old, the K sheets are all related to the phonics instruction, math, and handwriting. You may not want to purchase them.
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

disneymommy

Unread post by disneymommy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:28 pm

Lori - Thank you so much for clarifying about the book of animals!

There are so many age-appropriate resources I'd love to get for all of my kids and I really want to budget for that. So at this point, I'm leaning toward getting the ECC student sheets only for my fourth and second graders, the Big Book of Animals for only my second grader, Exploring World Geography only for my fourth, K sheets only for my Ker. For all four older kids (not the 1 year old), I'll get passports and Flag sticker books. I think I'd rather err on the side of ordering too little and have to add more later than order things I might not really use.

Thanks so much to everyone for the advice and encouragement!

Kate

kw4blessings

Share Your Hopes and Plans for the Year

Unread post by kw4blessings » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:32 pm

MFW-Marie wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:29 am
Let’s share our hopes and plans for this school year.
Blessings,
Marie
We have a loose routine that really seems to flow well: Bible first, followed by K for my 5yo while the two older ones work on math and handwriting, with all other subjects following behind. Works really well for us, yay!

Overall, our year is going so well. I'll admit, I was ready to throw in the towel back in August when I planned to start school and had my yearly calendar all laid out....then we moved. Not only did we move, but we lived with my parents for over a month in between houses. The move was somewhat unexpected, and I was unprepared for how long it was going to take to get settled.

All that said, we are on week 4 of ECC and the Apple unit of K. That isn't where I envisioned we would be right now, but I'm so at peace with it. We are having so much fun and learning at a reasonable pace. I thought about hurrying to "catch up" to where I thought we needed to be, but I'm so glad I didn't. I know that neither the kids nor I would be enjoying this year half as much if we had rushed it. Thank you, Father, for wisdom! That's what He's saying to my heart..."seek wisdom and trust me. Enjoy those kiddos I've blessed you with and teach them kindness and love." I'm trying. ;)
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!