Choosing K - After doing another K program?

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
dschurma

Choosing K - After doing another K program?

Unread post by dschurma » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Kim S wrote:My one in K this year is not reading yet. He does know most of the sounds but can't blend. I am wondering if just the K basic package would help him. We are using 100 EZ lessons and we could just push through until he does read but MFW looks fun. :D
We used the computer version of 100 easy lessons (Funnix) for about twenty lessons before starting MFW K. I liked it, and so did my son. I knew I wanted to use MFW K to have a strong Christ-centered school time. I don't regret the switch at all. I feel that it probably slowed down the speed at which my son is learning to read, as MFW K takes the phonics quite slowly, but it was worth it.

If your son knows the sounds and just needs blending practice, MFW K basic package will be great for him! The hands-on science is so fun, and I love how every aspect points back to God!
Dawn
wife to Keith
Mama to Alex (12/2007) Max (8/2009) and Jensyn (4/2011)
Visit our family's blog: http://mamasmonkeys.blogspot.com

Yodergoat

Re: Question about K level

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:42 pm

K is fun and the Bible/character lessons are wonderful! It's a great year. :-)

The reading portion focuses only on short vowel sounds (no long vowels), but does teach blending.

But even without the good phonics foundation in short vowels, the program is not to be missed in my opinion!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

MuzzaBunny

Unread post by MuzzaBunny » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Oh I agree with Dawn! MFW K is such a great program. My dd has used only this program and she is a very strong reader at 6 years old, 1/2 way through MFW 1st. It may be a slower pace, and there'll certainly be some review, but his foundation will be so strong that he'll rapidly progress. I don't think you'd regret it for a minute. :) You could always condense it if you felt he was ready.
Bunny

eyoung

Unread post by eyoung » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:47 pm

We are using MFW K this year and loving it! It is gentle but exactly what we needed. As far as reading, it took my 5 1/2 ds about six weeks to catch on to blending. Now he blends and sounds out short vowel words well. We are pleased with his progress and highly recommend this program!

Erica
Erica - Mom to 3; 17 year old ds, 15 year old dd, 5 year old ds
*Currently using MFW K
*Used ECC with two oldest in 7th/5th grade

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:22 pm

We are using MFW K and love it! We are half way through the program. My dd hit a road bump with blending, too, using MFWK. We took some time over Christmas break to focus on getting letter names and sounds down, and now it has clicked for her and she is not only doing word blends but also beginning to read BOB books. Whatever you decide, I would just encourage you and say it's normal for K'ers to have trouble learning to read. That being said, if you can afford it, I would go for it! It's such a sweet kindergarten program, and the activities, book list, and biblical truths are such a treasure.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

MelissaB

MFW K or MFW 1st?

Unread post by MelissaB » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:22 pm

starryiz929 wrote:I have a 5.5 year old daughter now. I've been working with her on phonics for months now (not MFW) and we are not getting very far :/ Instead of using phonics to sound out short cvc words, she's just memorizing them like sight words. If I give her a new word with letters she knows the sounds of, she can't sound it out even with help. I was thinking I'd buy MFW 1st for her to use next year....we start our school year in July. She turns 6 in September.

I thought she knew all her letters and the sounds....turns out she doesnt or she forgot. If she knows all her sounds and is beginning to get the cvc words by June (when I order curriculum) do you think she'd still benefit from MFW K as more of a confidence booster? I don't want to rush her, and I want her to have confidence in learning. She's just so mature in other areas....she loves me reading her long chapter books, and she picks up on science information very easily. And she is doing great with math.....counting to 100 and adding now. And her handwriting is pretty good. But anything with phonics and word recognition (like learning the days of the week) is not clicking.

Do you think it'd be worth the money to buy MFW K for next year....or just work on phonics and start MFW 1 once it starting going better?
You know, I think we had a similar situation. We started our dd doing MFW K when she was 5 1/2 yrs., and we are very happy that we did. We had done regular preschool with her, learning letters & sounds, since she was 2 1/2 yrs. old, yet she did not know all of her letters and was not reading. By the end of our MFW K year, she was reading small books and has taken off ever since. We were really pleased with the K program.

This may or may not be helpful, but one thing we've learned is that it's easier for our dd to memorize words - hundreds of them - than it is for her to sound out words phonetically. So we use word flashcards that we make ourselves. And her reading has skyrocketed.

Another note: I'm sure you've probably already done so, but be sure to take a look at MFW's recommendations for students choosing MFW 1st. :)

Hope that's helpful..
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

starryiz929

Re: MFW K or MFW 1st?

Unread post by starryiz929 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:48 am

Thanks for the advice. I have read the readiness posts for 1st and the FAQ. I'm leaning more towards doing K with her. I think we could push on through 1st....maybe....but I dont want tears and dont want her frustrated. Her older brother will be in Adventures next year, and if she did 1st next year, I dont think she'd be ready for ECC the following year anyways.

And since reading that in K they would have been sounding out blends and cvc words for 9 months before 1st......we have not done that yet.

Just one of those mom moments where you worry if you're holding your kid back or pushing too hard! She'll turn 6 the end of September.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:49 am

I like your decision to use K. In my state, she would probably not even be allowed to enter 1st grade public school. And even with the freedoms of homeschooling, I think K sounds like where she will thrive.

K is definitely gentle, but beneath the surface, it's building solid reading skills. Even a good little memorizer like Melissa's or like my youngest (who taught himself to read before K by memorizing) will get the solid understanding that our language is built on phonics rules that can be relied on when approaching new words throughout life. With 10's of thousands of words (or more) in our language, the phonics system is really a shortcut even though it seems like the long way to work on those easy words in the beginning. If you find some parts are too easy, there are tons of extra things on the Ideas board and lots of other parents to chime in with what they did.

I also think the Bible/character lessons in K are perfectly targeted for the little 5-6 year old and you will be blessed to talk about those together. Have fun,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:07 pm

I think k is a great choice! We just have loved it this year. We've had a fun time and are looking foreword to finishing up the next 7 units!

My dd also tends to make non sight words sight words versus sounding them out. She has an excellent memory so to her it's easier but I want her to learn phonetically. Reading words without pictures or re-reading the same story can be helpful for us so she practices phonetic reading vs memorizing. I also just have to force her to slow down and put her finger under one letter at a time.

I think mfw k will be really good to lay a solid foundation in reading and basic math :)

...Just wanted to add that we also started in spring. My dd had just turned 5. We'll be finishing up in early June (goal is June7). That we will have had 14 months with ample breaks to complete it. I think it's been wonderful to have the flexibility we've had :).

bluenile14

Unread post by bluenile14 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:55 pm

I am doing MFW K right now with my DD who turned 5 in December. My DS is about to turn 4 and is listening in.

My daughter is a quick learner and advanced in L.A., but it's my first year homeschooling so we went with K. Very glad we did. I think the biggest reason why I'm glad we're doing Kindergarten is because it is allowing my daughter TIME to adjust and grow at her pace. Maybe L.A. is easy, then we beef it up with coloring the items or whatever, but then Math is new and takes more time. So days we zip through and I choose to do all of the worksheets for the week with her if she wants to. There's nothing wrong with moving ahead in areas where the child is strong. However, it will all catch up with you in the end. You can supplement math, science with more things while you take your time with L.A. BTW, Sonlight has an entire Science curriculum that takes 34-36 weeks and it's lots of experiments, etc. (If you wanted to add that, but honestly, the things they suggest for MFW K is enough for me!) Anyway, hope this helps some.

Good luck!

kw4blessings

Can't decide! MFW K or 1st???

Unread post by kw4blessings » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:26 pm

mtmom9107 wrote:I'm considering buying curriculum for my oldest for next year to get in on the sale. Here's the deal: she is 5 now and doing P4/5 core with LA K, She's barely starting to sound out some words and struggles with it, but then we're only about 1/3 of the way through the curriculum. I want to switch to MFW for several reasons not crucial to deciding which "grade" to put her in. Her birthday is Sept 19 and according to our local PS she wouldn't have made it in for K this year. I'm okay with doing K for two years, but i'm curious if she'll get bored with the MFW K, if it will be two easy for her after what she's doing this year. I've looked at the sample workbook on MFW website and still can't decide.

Another thing about her. She's kind of in her own little world, not necessarily a bad thing, she's a kid, but you sometimes you have to ask her things several times. You really have to get her attention for her to understand and to respond with an answer that makes sense. In our homeschool group her teacher recommended that she move from the K-2nd class to the preschool class because she (the teacher) felt that she was losing her and maybe she (my dd) would get more out of the preschool class.

So that's a little about her. Has anyone else been in a similar situation that could help me decide between MFW K or 1st? I would know more where to place her if I waited, but I really need to save money.
Thanks!
Hi. I haven't been in your same situation, but wanted to say that I highly recommend going ahead with MFW K. I don't know anything about SL's 4/5, but I feel that MFW's K is not to be missed! I didn't use MFW K for my oldest and really wish that we had. I'm using it now with my oldest son. The phonics, math, extras are right on target with where he is. But, more importantly, the Bible and character lessons are amazing!

My dd (oldest) sounds like yours when you mention the spacey "in her own world" thing. She's 7 now and still a bit that way, although it's getting better with a supplement program we've recently started. I think MFW K would have been perfect for her type of personality/attention span. I actually regret not going ahead and using MFW K for her when she was 6, instead of moving ahead with 1st as we did. She did fine with 1st academically, but I think a more firm foundation would have been laid had we done K first.

You can always add to K if your dd needs more, or even speed it up... it's so flexible. If she's flying through it, you can always begin 1st before you planned. Just trying to think through it with you. Pray about it and see where the Lord leads! Blessings!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

mtmom9107

Re: Can't decide! MFW K or 1st???

Unread post by mtmom9107 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Thank you! I do think that the MFW k looks like a great program and i'm leaning towards doing it. If I do need to beef it up a little bit do you have any recommendations?
Laura

Wife to my darling Jeramy for 8 years
Mommy to:
Josie~age 7 ~ Currently using: Learning God's Story.
Eva~age 4 ~ Currently using: Sonlight P4/5, Rod and Staff workbooks.
Judah~22 months
Baby girl coming early November, 2015

kw4blessings

Re: Can't decide! MFW K or 1st???

Unread post by kw4blessings » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Marie Hazell adds "beefing up" suggestions in the K manual for kids who are already reading. If you do everything in the K manual, it is a really full program. We skip a lot right now with my ds, sigh :( , because we just can't fit it all in while doing Adventures with my dd. You could always add Explode the Code for extra phonics practice or a separate math program if you felt she needed more. You'd have a very full year! :-)
Kelly, blessed mama to

kw4blessings

switching curriculums

Unread post by kw4blessings » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:24 am

Darlene wrote:I have been using the Horizons curriculum for my son. Preschool and Kinder. He is not reading even simple three letter words like dog, cat, pig. Now I'm not a teacher by any means and by the grace of God I've made it through two years. I've tried my best to teach him. He knows his letters and sounds but he has no desire to read. I guess my question is would switching him to this curriculum help him a little more to want to read? Are there any other homeschoolers out there that have had the same experience and switched curriculum that helped. He will be going into first grade next year. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks so much!!
Hi Darlene,
It sounds like you could definitely benefit from MFW and possibly even use the Kindy curriculum to begin. It does an amazing job of teaching the letter sounds and then helping the children learn to blend simple 3 letter (CVC) words. The 1st grade curr. was our 1st experience with MFW and it helped my daughter go from simple words to a fluent reader within the year. The phonics are simple, but amazingly thorough. We were using "Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading" in Kindy before switching to MFW for 1st. My dd could read simple words prior to MFW, but she didn't like to. By the end of 1st, she wanted to read everything she could. So, hope that encourages you that he may really enjoy reading before too long! Don't get discouraged. :)

I was curious about your son's age. Kindy might be your best place to start in order for him to get a great foundation. First grade begins with a review but then progresses very quickly in phonics. If he doesn't have a good foundation, he may get frustrated. The teacher's manuals provide info on how to speed Kindy up for an older K'er and then move onto 1st.

Best wishes and I'm sure you'll hear some other good suggestions here!
Kelly, blessed mama to

gratitude

Re: switching curriculums

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:26 pm

I didn't know how to teach phonics when I started either. The first phonics I bought was A Beka & I couldn't figure out how to use it or what it was even teaching! I could now, after teaching phonics to 3 children; but not when I first started.

Yes, Marie is where I learned how to teach phonics. We found MFW in March of my oldest K year. Her directions made sense and we made progress quickly.

MFW K teaches two letter blends and three letter words. They do need to be reading 3 letter words easily to be successful in MFW1. It sounds like starting in MFWK would be a good place to start. How old is he? The office can help with placement as well if you call them.

His reading will come. I liken reading to tots leaning to walk and talk. Some tots talk first and walk a little later. Some walk early and get around to talking a little later. Some start both around the same time. It depends on their focus. Reading I find is similar. Some focus on it and figure it out early on. Others are so busy doing they don't give it any thought (despite lessons) until later. Others start to read around age 6 - 7 or so. If you keep working with him it will come!

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:21 pm

Another fan of the phonics in MFW K here :-) I am using it with my 6year old and it is a great phonics program. It works! And, it is hands on and multisensory not just reading from a reader. We love it and I am pleased with how simple yet effective Marie has written this curriculum.

Not sure how old your child is but if he isn't reading CVC words yet, I would start with the K program, even if he knows his letters and sounds. My son knew them starting but couldn't read yet. He is now reading CVC words and has been for weeks. We are only just starting week 15. Can't say enough good about it from our experience.
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

rodenburgal

Unread post by rodenburgal » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:27 pm

I recently switched from Horizons K to MFW K mostly because I found Horizons to be a drag as my ds who is just 5 wasn't enjoying it. Horizons is great if your child is a "work booker" and it is considered an advanced intense program.

MFW from what I've seen and heard delivers the same results in a more hands on way. Mind you we are only on week 3 of MFW K, but I can tell you not only is my ds loving it, so am I! Going into MFW K my ds already knows his letter sounds and can decode some cvc words but I didn't want to have any gaps as learning to read is so important, so I went with K and so happy I did.

They are very different curriculums and to each their own, but for us, MFW K is a complete and total winner! I would say based upon the age of your child will probably determine which route you'll go between MFW K and MFW 1.
Amy - NoVa
DD 9 Soon to be ECC
DS 5 MFW K (and LOVING IT)

kw4blessings

Combining K and 1st

Unread post by kw4blessings » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:02 pm

wifeofsteve wrote:Have any of you combined 1st and K? I can't afford to buy both and was looking for a creative way to combine both grades for next year. I have a Pre-K and K in public school right now but really would like to homeschool them next school year.
Hi! I can't answer from experience with combining those two ages into one program, but had a few thoughts...

1.It might be a good idea to purchase the K curriculum and go through it with both of your children next year. K is such a great year in so many ways and would be a great, gentle introduction to homeschool for all of you. The character lessons are awesome and everything ties in together in an amazing way. Your current Pre-Ker would probably be right on target for the phonics and math as written. I would include your current K'er in the phonics and math as a review, as well. Both of your children could do the Bible, science and extra activities. Then, depending on where your older one is with phonics, you could use the suggestions in the back of the K manual about using the curriculum with a child who is already reading, or work on a separate phonics program that's on his/her level. Same with math. So, basically, you could do the entire K program with both children and "beef up" the phonics and math for your then-first grader.

2. Another option would be to purchase the Learning God's Story (1st grade) curriculum package and work through it with both children, only making the phonics/math more basic for the K'er.

Both K and 1st are so great, you can't go wrong there. I know when I began using MFW with my family, my oldest was turning 6 in August. I made the decision to start the 1st grade curriculum with her, since technically she was "in" first grade. When I asked a representative from MFW about where to begin at a local convention, she wisely answered, "MFW recommends going through the K program with all of your children. The foundation that's built there with the phonics and especially the Biblical character traits is not to be missed." Unfortunately, I decided not to follow her advice, because I couldn't get over the fact that we had already "done" K the previous year (with a pieced together curriculum) and didn't want her to be "behind". Oh, how I wish I had taken that advice, especially since my dd was on the young side with an August birthday. But, hindsight is always 20/20, right?

Anyway, the Lord knows and guides us all, but just wanted to share that with you to encourage you to feel freedom to go with the K program if you choose. MFW is amazing and you can't go wrong! ;) Blessings!

Kelly
Kelly, blessed mama to

Julie in MN

Re: Combining K and 1st

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:05 am

I like Kelly's idea of doing K with both students if you can only afford one program. There is a thread here with folks who have done that, even after doing another K program: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13578

K is designed to be an intro to school, or in your case an intro to homeschool. However, it also has some solid skill-building so that kids really get the idea of phonics, rather than just memorizing words as they are so very good at doing. In addition, it has solid character-building, which will help them throughout their school years and beyond. Plus there are activities, literature, science topics, and more.

I started "afterschooling" my grandson with the K program when he was in kindergarten (and he was an older kindergartener). We didn't finish, so we continued using MFW-K while he was in public school 1st grade. You might want to cover up the grade label, because as a public schooler my grandson paid attention to that, but after he adjusted to the homeschool mentality that it's all good stuff to learn, he enjoyed the lessons and we just started the 1st grade materials when we were done with K (we're still using the 1st grade things while he's in 2nd grade and he loves all the Bible and he learns or reviews important phonics when we come to words that are difficult for him).

You may find at some point that homeschooling saves you far more in public school costs than the few hundred you spend on curriculum (my grandson's school supplies were about $100, and he has to purchase clothing according to the school uniform, activity fees, teacher gifts, extra grocery store trips for school lunch contents, and more). At some point you may see room in the budget to add 1st grade, and you can just begin that at any point during the year, or next fall if things are going well with using K.

Here is the author's advice on how to combine K and 1st programs: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=191
You will notice that you shift the emphasis each year, in order to make it fresh for the younger child who repeats the year when ready to begin his or her own K program.

Here is combining K and pre-K: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=642

The Kindergarten archives also have several threads about "choosing K vs. 1st" (the archive is listed alphabetically): http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=1
and the 1st grade archives have threads about "choosing" and "combining": http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=3

I hope these links help you while the boards are fairly quiet during this holiday season. Bless you as you plan for your precious little ones,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:09 pm

Just a quick note: The math in both the K and the 1st grade curricula is excellent!

Whichever one you purchase (K or 1st), you'll probably be able to use either one to meet both of your students' needs. (If you purchase K, you might look at purchasing the math book that comes w/ the 1st grade curriculum.)

The hands-on, visual activities we did during MFW K / 1st math classes have been a huge asset in our dd's foundation and her understanding of math concepts. I highly recommend it. :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:32 pm

First I would suggest giving mfw a call to see what they'd recommend. In general the advice is to teach to the oldest. They might be able to offer you a payment plan or advice you what you could get away with buying and save the most money. They also can help access were each kids at and that could help you make the final decision.

But essentially you'll need to pick one as your core and get a separate math for the child who is not in that grade.

I would probably go with k since it's your first year homeschooling and it's just the sweetest curriculum out there as far as I am concerned!

To do this you could get the k curriculum package (I would get the deluxe if you could afford it) and then instead of buying student sheets for both kids I would get a separate math and Lang program for the first grader. I probably wouldn't buy the k student sheet because they're pricier than cycle years ($40) and they are mostly k math and Lang arts stuff. So instead I would try and use that $40 on some Lang & math material for your older child. Explode the Code books 1-2, maybe 3 and The Complete Book of Math carried by mfw would be my choice. It's grades 1-2. You could pace her to complete half this year and save the other half for next year. I would just use the handwriting instructions from k for my 6 year old to do on lined paper and have her practice. For reading practice I would check out easy readers at the library and have her practice 10-15 minutes a day.

With the k'er I would mfw k Lang and math worksheets with just the 5- year old and your 1st grader could do the calendar / 100 chart stuff. You could find those online free. Just look up free calendar / 100 chart printables.

Then for the core- Bible, reading list books, and the daily activity / book day stuff you could have both children participate.

Easy tweeks for 6 year old-
Memorize Verse instead of Biblical concept
Keep a nature journal on book day / day 6- sketch something found on outside time and help her label it
Do a narration page on the book day book (work way from simple smart sentence with picture to paragraph) or any social studies type stuff you learn
Keep a science journal on science experiments / learnings to record (same idea as narration)
Practice handwriting by copying verses on lined paper each unit
Make the blend ladder words spelling words for your first grader

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:46 am

Wow, great suggestions, lea-lpz, for tweaking K for a 6 year old!
Kelly, blessed mama to