Books - Encyclopedias & Info Books for MFW-K

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
cbollin

Re: What Children't Encyclopedia do you own?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri May 15, 2009 6:57 am

The Complete Book of Animals (used as optional in ECC for 2nd/3rd graders) covers about half of the K topics. I wrote this a few weeks ago.

Here's a resource to consider using for those Day 1 Science lessons:

The Complete Book of Animals (sold by MFW in the ECC section of their website).

MFW has recently begun to sell a new book, The Complete Book of Animals. You can find the book on the ECC page, as this book is scheduled in ECC as an optional reading comprehension book for 2nd and 3rd graders in ECC. Additionally, MFW is suggesting it might be a nice book to use for EX1850 for younger sib while doing the Animal Kingdom semester.

I noticed as I was extensively reviewing this book, that it would be an awesome resource for MFW K when you need a quick reference for many of the units in My Father's World A to Z. It will be age appropriate for reading to your Kindy children to learn some basic facts. The cost is low and then you'll be able to use it again in a few years because you will not have used the whole book anyway in K.

Complete Book of Animals has useful articles on the following topics in MFW K:
Turtle
Octopus
Insect (lots of insects)
Goat
Cow
Horse
Elephant
Penguin
Kangaroo
Zebra
Butterfly
Frog
(didn't see fox yet?)
and maybe a little bit on birds when you do Quail.

I hope that helps someone who might be considering a quick resource for those Day 1 Kindy science lessons when you teach facts. I haven't read the entire book yet for content and all of that. So please preview each section if you use it. But it's just enough facts

-crystal

cbollin

MFW-K Encyclopedia?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:48 pm

tnsunshine3 wrote:I am very excited that we have begun our first year of homeschooling! As I was reading through the MFW-K manual it recommends use of an encyclopedia such as World Book (I think that is the name). Is this a children's encyclopedia or a set? I really don't want to have to spend a lot of money on encyclopedia set.

Ideally, a children's encyclopedia would be great, my son has the Pooh Bear and friends encyclopedia for animals and it has lots of colorful picture and tidbits of information about each animal etc. We used a computer encyclopedia when I was in school and it worked well for me, so maybe that could be an option. I would love to hear some encyclopedia recommendations that are similar to the one he has now and that will also work with MFWk, or what encyclopedias others are using and success/failure with them.
I didn't end up using Encyclopedias. Although there were some inexpensive sets at local library book sale.

Instead, I used simple, age appropriate library books on the topics.
Another possibility for about half of the topics would be the Complete Book of Animals. MFW sells that book in one of the other programs (Exploring Countries and Cultures - http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/40/10/0/1 and scroll toward bottom)
more info on that on this older link when it was fresh in my brain
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9#p49381

Then, I liked using some science books by an author Allan Fowler. now I did have to filter for age of earth issues. That author holds different from mine. But it was easy to just say "long ago" instead of "millions".
The main take away point that I got from the non fiction idea is to have something ready on hand to teach just a few facts about the science topic.
We looked in library for smaller books with large type and pictures.

-crystal

Poohbee

Re: MFW-K Encyclopedia?

Unread post by Poohbee » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:50 pm

Like Crystal, I also opted to use nonfiction library books or picture books to introduce each topic rather than an encyclopedia.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

alisoncooks

Unread post by alisoncooks » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:53 pm

I'm doing MFWK right now and we aren't using encyclopedias either. We've just been using a good nonfiction book for each topic (from the library). Some are better than others, but we've had good luck so far. Some of those "first-look science" type series, have great pictures and simple text. That's been enough for us.
Married to DH since 2000, with 2 sweet girls (2006 & 2008).

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:14 pm

You do not have to use an encyclopedia to use MFW K. As a matter of fact, most articles that you would find in World Book would probably be of little interest or use to a K'er. I have used a variety of books for information - we like books by Gail Gibbons (she has lots, on all different subjects) and Magic School Bus books, and I just did a search in the library catalog for whatever the subject was (apples, for example), and found some books that looked good. I'd pick one to read, or we'd read a different one every day, or whatever we felt like doing.

One resource that was handy was the Kingfisher 1st Animal Encyclopedia, but I already owned it. I don't think I would have bought it specifically to use with K, but there were a lot of animal units, and if I forgot (blush) to reserve library books, or just needed something quick on hand, it was good for that. The articles are listed alphabetically, so I could do a little casual teaching with ds of how to look things up in the index, what the table of contents is, etc. The articles are short - just a page or 2 with lots of nice photos, and age-appropriate information. So. I already had that resource and I like it and we used it, but it wasn't necessary to have.

HTH,
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:35 am

Likewise, I did not go for an encyclopedia. We are in the fourth unit, A-a-apple, and thus far I have been using library books from our library which has a relatively limited selection... but, enough. I usually get about three informative books on the subject and about three stories as well. They're just usually not the ones recommended in the teacher's manual!

I have seen encyclopedia sets for sale at library book sales and thrift shops often, just a few dollars for the whole set. But I don't have room for a set. :~ I think that an encyclopedia CD could certainly work, or (if you are short on time or didn't get out to go to the library) you could even just look up the subject on the internet, finding pictures and explaining in your own words.

Any time I am in a thrift store, llibrary book store (where children's books are usually 25 cents), yard sales, etcetera, I keep my eye out for books about any upcoming subject. Since I have done the A-a-apple song daily for weeks now I know what is featured for each unit and my eye is usually drawn to those items. If they're cheap enough, I buy them, then I file it away in the folder for that unit. I seem to have lots of books under "Penguin" and "Insect" but nothing yet under "Rock" and "Jewel." ;) No, wait, I do have one book for rock. But that penguin folder is going to burst if I don't limit myself! Anyway, if you frequent the sorts of places which have cheap books, and you have familiarized yourself with the unit themes, you can go a long way toward building your own little collection of informative books.

That is, if you have time for that sort of thing.

I just know you're going to enjoy K... it has been great so far!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:52 am

Since no one's using encyclopedias, I'll just chime in for the family who has and uses theirs :) And might as well buy them early if you're going to. We bought ours new when oldest was in elementary school, and he's 27 now -- we're still using them! Although we did upgrade once through World Book. I've also read many threads from folks who bought them used at a very low price. And of course many threads where folks just don't use encyclopedias...

Here are more threads with a variety of thoughts:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1031
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1734

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:20 am

I actually would love to own a set of encyclopedias, I just have NO place to put them, so we're making due for now.

I wonder if there are encylcopedias for the nook. I wonder if I would even like that format. Oh, I love my nook. Hmmm.

Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:36 pm

tnsunshine3 wrote:...my son has the Pooh Bear and friends encyclopedia for animals...
Did you know that there is also a Winnie the Pooh & Friends encyclopedia called "Nature". It is just like the Animals one in style. I found a used one on amazon for around $5.00 It has everything I needed about trees, apples, sun, moon, water, rocks, etc.

I have both of the Animal & Nature encyclopedia and between the two of them I think the only non-fiction books I had to buy were for the goat unit & the cow unit as these topics were not in the Animal one. I also bought a book about the 5 senses.

I went the encyclopedia route because it is hard for me to make it to the library consistently. And I chose these Winnie Pooh ones in particular because of the beautiful, clear pictures and that the writing is already on my daughter's comprehension level. And most importantly SHE likes to look at them.

And even though they cover most topics in MFWK they are not big & bulky. Together, both books take up about 1.5 inches of space width-wise on my shelf.

We are on Turtle week and is working well for us.
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

fdjoyce

Unread post by fdjoyce » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:03 pm

I'll just say that we did not use encyclopedias for MFWK - age appropriate topical books like those mentioned above are much better. However, we di buy a used set of encyclopedias for our family & they have been a huge hit with everyone. My older boys used them quite a bit during ECC & my husband loves to pick a letter & read it. We even use them to look up historical figures, etc even though we have the Internet. So, I would not rush right out & buy a set for K but if you intend to continue educating at home I would keep my eyes polled at library sales, yard sales, etc. We sold the set I had as a kid (very cheap) & bought a set off ebay that are 3 years old & with the exception of current people like President Obama there were not a lot of changes. Another thing is that if you have multiple children & only 1 computer like us they can not all research at once- but with encyclopedias lots of folks can research together.

MuzzaBunny

MFW K question

Unread post by MuzzaBunny » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:34 pm

AmyP wrote:What do you use for you information on Day 1? We started week 1 this week. I really do not like searching online for information so I was hoping to find an encyclopedia or something with most of the units.
Hi Amy,
We used non-fiction picture books from the library. I found it awkward to simplify encyclopedia information and we're fortunate that our lovely library is only a mile away. There was certainly no shortage of age-appropriate information books. One series I used as often as applicable was the "Just Ask" series by Chris Arvetis - perfect for what my dd enjoys. (Some folks aren't into the talking animals, though. Just Ask does use those.) Hope you have good library access. I just used the card catalog online and jotted down the titles I wanted to pick up when we went next. Enjoy K! It's *such* a special year!
Bunny

lea_lpz

Re: MFW K question

Unread post by lea_lpz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:08 pm

In the book list, I just get at least one book under the heading, information. This tends to be the right amount of info for a 5 year old. If it is a little complex, I will simplify. Hope that helps ;)
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:22 pm

I did a couple of things. What I did most frequently was used non-fiction picture books from the library. We went every 2-4wks. I would always get at least 2 units worth of books, usually 3, at a time. We would have planned every week or at least every other, but I have 5 small children and it's a hassle to bring them all. Sometimes, I just put the books I wanted on hold using the online system and would run over by myself without the kids. The other thing I did was use books I already had around the house. I did buy 2 children's encyclopedias before the year started. One was an animal encyclopedia and the other was a general. I'd have to go get them out to double check exactly what they are, but I believe they are DK books and I know I got them from Amazon. Between the two of those books, I had most subjects covered if I didn't have time to go to the library. Good luck and have fun!
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:05 am

Amy,
Welcome along. :)

I didn't have the 2nd edition manual with pre printed lists with information books. I used library and found age appropriate books with ease. among regular authors that I selected was Allan Fowler. I adjusted anytime something didn't meet with my preference on age of earth issue.

one option for animal units... Complete Book of Animals. that will cover about half of the topics. sold by mfw in the ECC program.

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:20 am

Hmmm....forgot about the first edition differing from the second. What I like about the info. book recommendations is that they tend to be age appropriate. If the level is higher it's noted. Sometimes I will get the books for older kids when my stepson will be with us anyway so we can include him. Anyway, I also use the reserve system online so that way all my books are held in the hold section. We will typically get to the library about 10 minutes before storytime, that gives us enough time to return books and then pick up holds, check them out, go head to story time. Usually they can behave for the 10 minutes. Usually (sigh). But, using the hold system is nice. Only problem is if you just enter topic, you could end up reserving books that are way over a k comprehension level. I think I remember on the website, or maybe message board, can't remember, that MFW does recommend a children's dictionary. I was going to buy one, but never got around to it. Library also carries a lot of those though. We haven't needed to though. If you don't have 2nd edition, pm me. I can give you the names of some titles we read and which were most helpful.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:20 pm

I have the old edition still and that is what I used for K. I had no problem finding books that I could use for info on the topic in the non-fiction children's section. I usually reserved 3-4. Often one or two might be above age level and I couldn't read the whole thing to him, but I would still use it for info to present. More often than not, I could read at least 1-3 books straight through for him or just edit a little. I just typed the topic into the search engine and went from there. Easy, peesy. Now, actually getting the library....that was another issue.... :~ That was why I got books for 3-4 topics at once. If I ended up being able to go back before I was finished with all the books, great! I would return the ones I'd used, renew the ones I still hadn't and get 2-4 more units worth depending on how many I still had. Oh and my libraries have always let me renew online. So getting them back in time was never an issue except for the occasional book that someone else had requested and I couldn't renew, but that rarely happened.
AmyP wrote:Thanks everyone :) I do have an excellent library and was able to get most of the books on the list. I guess I was going about it the wrong way. I thought on Day 1 I should introduce facts about the sun. I read in the manual that you could use the internet and Encyclopedia, etc. We are reading the books, I was just looking for something else that maybe would be useful when introducing the topic. Thank you again for all the suggestions.
I used the info in the non-fiction books to introduce facts about the sun on day 1, sometimes 1 or sometimes more, just depended on the books and the topic and my time. I think you have the right idea, but you just don't have to use an encyclopedia or the internet. There is more than one way to get the facts. :-) I also would use the books to review on or expand on the topic throughout the unit.
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:10 pm

Amy,

It sounds like you are doing it just right! Day 1 is the day to introduce information about the sun. The T.M. says to use your own knowledge, book you may already own, library books, or the internet (with caution). You can read more about it on page 17 in the Teacher's Manual (2nd edition). The list in the T.M. will give story book as well as information book ideas, so on Day 1 the focus is on the information books:). Really you can read any of those great books all week long.

Lucy
(Mom2theteam and I were posting at the same time:))

Cici

Supporting books for kinder

Unread post by Cici » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:10 pm

Nettiegirl wrote:Hi!
I have not been lucky with my local library while trying to find the "science" books for the kinder. And also for Adventures book basket. :(
Suggestions?
Thank you :)
Hi!
I believe MFW sells the kinder books for $122ish, they're awesome books at a great deal! I Haven't started adventures yet, but for Learning Gods Story we just bought one supporting book for each unit. I found them online, Barnes & Noble and Amazon. It seems pricy, but the totals come close to the price of other curriculums that include more books (like sonlight). I'll be using those books once more, for my son, so I think it's worth it!

I did try & do the library thing for the first few weeks, it was more time than I wanted to spend bi-weekly, online requesting books. We definitely use the library, but at least I have all supporting books I need at home.

Hope that helps! :)
Follower of Christ
Wife of a Pilot
Mommy to our Prince (MFW Preschool) & Princess (MFW Adventures)
Blessed that God called me to Homeschool

Julie in MN

Re: Supporting books for kinder

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:01 pm

I only did K part-time with my grandson, but we have a set of encyclopedias that was pretty much all we used. We have World Book and it has lots of pictures. You can sometimes find a whole set used for a few dollars at a library or on Craigslist.

I know some folks just do an internet search for things.

Here is a thread with some more ideas for finding one general resource to use for K science:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1734

And I agree the literature pack is a great help. A few of the science topics come up.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:40 am

I purchased and loved having the literature pack for K. But, just to clarify, it does not include books for the science topic. The books in the lit pack are for read aloud book time.

For science topics, I did like Julie. I used a World Book Encyclopedia for topics (I have the DVDrom version from MFW). I also used The Complete Book of Animals, also from MFW. I have the nature readers from Christian Liberty, but I didn't get those until later in the year, and I didn't purchase them for K. I had gotten them for a different purpose and realized they worked well for K also. I have also just looked stuff up online also.
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:22 am

I would try and see if you could find any nonfiction children's books on the topics at your library. MFW recommends some great ones, but, we too had trouble finding many of the exact titles. We usually did find something, though. With K, you don't have to be as concerned with worldview in the books (evolution, etc) because you're going to be reading to your child, most likely, and you can skip/change parts that don't agree with your beliefs. Enjoy K!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:28 pm

I also had trouble finding the recommended science topic books for K, even though I had THREE libraries in which to search. :~ I ended up just subbing for any appropriate age level books on the subject and I don't think K suffered much for it. Now that I have the Complete Book of Animals I can see that it would be great for the K animal studies!

I had to do something similar for the Adventures non-fiction informational books. Most of the ones I found were not on the MFW book basket list but they were fine... you know, just picture books about George Washington or pioneers or Vikings and such. We found enough to get by just by substituting similar non-fiction books which didn't have worldview concerns.

Now, finding substitutes for some of the read-aloud and living books on the Adventures book list was much more difficult, as many of the alternative choices found at the library had content issues and required heavy preview. For some reason, many of the available books at my libraries for that time period had children in the role of "hero saviors" when the adults would mess up, with the children always knowing better than adults or who were just mean-spirited and rude. :~ There was just a bad vibe from the books I did find, and I didn't end up using any of them.

For Adventures read-alouds, I ended up having to buy the suggested books Sarah Whitcher's Story, In Grandma's Attic (we bought a box set of 4 books), Mountain Born and Naya Nuki, Shoshone Girl Who Ran. I also added Carolina's Courage, which was a sweet book about a family going west by the same author as Mountain Born. (We already had the Little House books.) Although it was hard to spend the money, these were really good books to own. They were worth it, as they are wonderful and have been added to our bookshelf and will be re-read in the future.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Nettiegirl

Unread post by Nettiegirl » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:21 pm

Thank you all for the replies! :)
I know I'm probably over-thinking these things, I just need to learn my local library a bit!