Textured letters - Additional ideas & questions

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
kellybell

Textured letters - Additional ideas & questions

Unread post by kellybell » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:57 pm

momspeapods wrote:We purchased the textured letters that came in the deluxe package. My son has a hard time tracing them with his finger without them sliding around. Anyone else have this problem?
blessings
Jennifer
We had fun with letters by writing them in a small (about a 3 cup) tupperware-style (ie. Dollar Store) container of salt, putting the lid on it between uses. Sometimes we drew or painted big letters or digits.

Oh, another thing we did when letters were tough was to write the letters on "kindergarten paper" (the three-lined stuff, I found mine at a teacher store) in highlighter and the child writes it on top of the highlighter in pencil.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

annaz

Unread post by annaz » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:44 pm

I'm using magnetic letters that came in a tub.

Elissa Baker

Unread post by Elissa Baker » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:06 pm

We use the Lauri letters, my dd doesn't seem to have a problem holding the letter still (by the sides of it) with her other hand while she traces.

Maybe you could leave the letter in the puzzle while tracing? Just an idea.

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:36 pm

HI,

Are you having her trace with a pencil? You could just have her trace with her fingers to get the feel of the letter.

Also you may try putting a little of the sticky stuff, kind of tackie but not sticky like tape (I do not know what you call it) on the back to hold it in place.

The textured letters work great for the blend ladder though and because they are textured they work great for those who really do benefit from feeling the shape of the letters.

The avalanche letters are really for older kids who need it for spelling problems. This is how MFW usually talks about using them. They are a bit small for K fingers. Save them for a couple of years and then pull them out again.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

MJ in IL

Unread post by MJ in IL » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:16 pm

Just another tip for textures and letters. I have done K 2X and a favorite activity of my boys' was to use glitter glue to form the letters (capital and lower-case) on an envelope. We then put the picture cards for that letter in the envelope. It was fun! I had texture letter puzzles that I used for the letters, but my boys preferred the glue letters for tracing with their finger!

In Christ, Molly

Texas Gal

Unread post by Texas Gal » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:12 pm

We just hold each one by the edge and trace with the other hand.
Michele, mom to 14yo dd and 12yo ds
MFW-K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Ex1850, 1850MOD, AHL

momspeapods

Thanks for your help!

Unread post by momspeapods » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:53 pm

Thanks for all the replies. After trying several different things I found that leaving the letter in the puzzle seems to work best for my son. I ask him the find the letter that makes the /s/ sound and trace it with his finger. We will do this with others as we get further into our lessons. We also tried the salt tray and he loved it! So did my older child. LOL.

Thanks again!

Blessings
Jen

Cyndi (AZ)

couple of K questions

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:20 pm

homebychoice wrote:Is there any sort of substitute for the alphabet puzzle? I didn't order it, thinking I could get by without it, but I just read something that makes me think they are a daily part of the lesson for the blend ladder. Could I use magnetic letters or something like that?
Just wanted to mention that the lauri letters are lowercase. Most magnet sets are uppercase only, but if you've got some with lowercase letters, good for you!
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

cbollin

Would the lower-case letters in prek pack work for mfwk?

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:49 pm

Teresa in TX wrote:We recently purchased MFW preschool package, which obviously includes the linking lower-case alphabet letters (love them!) I am just wondering if there is a reason those wouldn't work to use instead of the puzzle A-Z textured Letters in Mfw K? I realize these come in the kit and that, yes, the whole kit is cheaper if bought together. I am just wondering if there is anything specific about the puzzle in the K kit that would make it above and beyond those lacing letters, thus making the textured letters just not workable.
the size will not work on the worksheets, so that will need to be adapted if you use the Prechool lower case. In other words, if you stick with the lace and link lowercase, you'll do those parts of those worksheets on the table or floor instead of the worksheets themselves. And I think the smaller size helps with learning to write the letters on lines a little better. But that part might vary by kid.

-crystal

Teresa in TX

Re: Would the lower-case letters in prek pack work for mfwk?

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:09 pm

Thanks, Crystal. The letters are only $10, so it's not a huge deal. I just looked at those letters while we were playing today and I thought "hmmmm..." I'll just get it all but maybe pace the book boxes out, one at a time or something...or maybe I could be responsible and just set the $$ aside and not touch it until I've saved enough for everything. There's a thought!! ;)
Teresa, Mom of 5: 15yo dd, 12yo ds, 7yo ds, 5yo ds, and 1yo ds

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
MFW World History with 10th grade dd
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

lyntley

Re: Would the lower-case letters in prek pack work for mfwk?

Unread post by lyntley » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:32 pm

Another idea (as well as setting aside a little at a time)... we're planning on flower fundraisers and summer lemonade stands. The kiddos really had fun and felt very responsible being a part of purchasing their Books. We made enough last year for the deluxe package and this year praying for any extra to support bible translation. Praying God provides all your needs according to His riches in Glory.