Prep - Getting supplies & materials ready for MFW-K

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
Wendy B.

Good ways to collect/store materials for future years?

Unread post by Wendy B. » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:08 pm

tangomoon wrote:We're just in MFW K right, now, but love the program so much that I'm hoping to be able to keep with it. Our schooling will have to be on a very tight budget, so I would like to start collecting book basket items. I've also got several boxes of books to go through from when I was a classroom teacher. My main worry is keeping track of what I'm able to find so that when that time rolls around, I know where it is. I'm also guessing that there is some overlap between years, and that some resources that we're using this year for K will be useful in future years as well.

What have you found that works well for keeping materials together in advance? Boxes or large plastic bins? Bookshelves? Does anyone keep an inventory, and if so, what works best for being able to search through items? Would love to hear suggestions on this and find a good system to use!

Lorri
Bookshelf- books tend to migrate.

Clear Plactic Bins. Light and tight so it is harder for the book loving bugs to get inside. Easy to see what you have stored inside. I keep a running list of contents on a piece of paper that is stored on the side or top of the crate.

HTH
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

jasntas

Re: Good ways to collect/store materials for future years?

Unread post by jasntas » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:53 pm

If you were to use the bookshelf method, I read on here once of someone who used those round removable yard sale stickers. They stuck them on the binding and color coded them so that when the books were on the shelf it was easy to see what year they belonged to.

I have done something similar but more for identifying which books are ours and which ones belong to the library. Our library books belong in the baskets only and are to be returned after viewing. I can't seem to be as ridged about the books we own though. Wendy B. was right. the books seem to migrate. ;) Although if I had more bookshelves I think the color codes would probably work pretty well for us. Most of the books end up piled in front of our already over loaded main bookshelf. Note to self: Get more bookshelves. Does anyone know of a good, cheap source for bookshelves? ;)

As far as storing TM’s and stuff to be used at another time, agreeing with Wendy B. Clear plastic storage bins. :)

Oh, and for ideas on how to go through the books you already own or ones you might want to pick up. You could check out the ideas forum for each year and skim through for ideas of what books you might want/need for those corresponding years. It might take some time to compile a list but it's a start and it could be a list you take with you to yard sales and such. You'd just want to remember to check off the ones you already own. HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:34 pm

The thing for future years is to really weed out what you don't feel led to use again *while it's fresh in your mind.* It's much easier to thin out when it's fresh.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

carissa

Unread post by carissa » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:34 am

When I was organizing MFWK last year, I knew I'd be doing it again, so I wanted to remember the best resources I found for each week to minimize having to reinvent the wheel the second time around. I did three things to try to keep track of resources. First I made a manila folder for each week. I put stickers for each topic and paper for badges in each folder. I also put coloring pages, or other hard copies, such as fun worksheets, that I either had on hand or printed out ahead of time (if I was pretty certain we were going to use them). If I ran across new things that would be useful for a particular week, I'd just stick it in the right folder.

Secondly, I made a draft email with a subject line entitled MFWK Resources and Ideas. I did not put a recipient email address in, so it couldn't accidentally be sent to someone; it stays in my draft folder in my email program (gmail) and I can go there to access it easily. In that email I made a heading for the Creation mini-unit, then a heading and list of resources I wanted to catalog for each week (see below). Then, before listing a bunch of resources, I copied that basic list, and pasted it over and over, changing the title of each week. Then I was ready to start filling in!

Week 1 - Ss Sun (space) Jesus is the light of the World.

Books and Videos:
* Bear Shadow by Frank Asch (ours)
What the Moon Saw by Brian Wildsmith (lib-Prospector) --tried to request from library, but unavailable
Regards to the Man in the Moon by Ezra Jack Keats (lib) --fun, imaginary trip to space, no sun mentioned
Hurry Granny Annie by Arlene Alda (lib-few) --okay
Sun Bread by Eliza Kleven (lib) --nice lyrical words, great illustrations, good for snowy times, too
Under the Sun by Ellen Kandoian (lib-few) -- liked the around-the-world theme, great illustrations
Galileo (Animated Hero Classics series, Nest Entertainment) (lib) --requested
Try Sing of the Earth and Sky: Poems about our planet and the wonders beyond by Aileen Fisher
--Children's Atlas of the Universe (ours)
--The Sun is Always Shining Somewhere by Allan Fowler (lib) --good
--All About the Sun (Schlessinger video) (lib-Prospector) --requested
--Sun by Steve Tomecek (lib-Prospector) --best info book, ties right in to the Incandescent Gas song
--Sun Up Sun Down by Gail Gibbons (lib) --requested
--Seasons (Sages)
--------------------
Music:
Barney's Beach Party DVD has the "Mr. Sun" song on it. (ours)
--------------------
Online bookmarks:
Spunky Sun song on YouTube video
Sun dot-to-dot
Denver Sky Maps
--------------------
Additional ideas:

--------------------
Fun Snack Ideas:
Sunshine Salad (kk:52)
Rocket Banana Pops (fun:16)
Sunshine Pops (fun:17)
--------------------
Supplies Needed:

--------------------

When I reserved library books online, I'd copy and paste each title into my resource list. I listed fiction books first, and I designated info books (non-fiction) by putting them toward the bottom of my book list and putting two dashes in front of the title. Then at the end of the week, I tried to go back and make a note about how we liked each book so I'd know whether it was worth checking out again the following year. Toward the end of the year, I slacked off on this a bit, but I think these book lists were one of the most helpful thing I did to make the second time through K easy.

I ended up not using all the resources and ideas I listed during those planning weeks, but at least I had them listed so I could use them if I wanted to. And I had a place to put useful websites, or other ideas I ran across on the forum, etc. The last weeks were not as full of resources as the first weeks were, but overall this system worked great, and I am referring to it often on our second time through K.

The last thing I did was to create an account at delicious.com. If you're not familiar with it, delicious is a website that allows you to bookmark web pages for future reference. I like it because the bookmarks are not stored on my computer--I've had to wipe my old computer's memory and start over a couple of times, and when I finally got a new computer I had trouble saving my old bookmarks to my new computer. I think having them online is much safer, and you can access them from any computer you're on, at any time. When I found a webpage that I thought we'd use for a particular week in MFWK, I'd tag it using my delicious toolbar; something like MFWK_Sun. Note that your tags have to be one word, or multiple words connected by hyphens or underscores. If you tag them with multiple words like MFWK Sun Game, it will save the website's address, but under three separate categories. I wanted a list of online resources for MFWK_Sun, a list for MFWK_Moon, and so on. Delicious has been great for tagging all sorts of webpages I might want to visit again: a website of composer bio's written with kids in mind, a forum thread discussing ways to teach Adventures combined with 1st grade, and so on.

While these aren't really concrete ways of storing books in boxes, I hope they might be helpful organizational ideas as well. : )

Blessings,
Carissa
Carissa in Michigan
Wife to Steve for 21 years.
Mom to ds Brendan (10), ds Caden (8) and dd Sydney (8).
We've done MFW-K, ADV, public school for 2 years, and now considering ECC :)

TriciaMR

READY TO START! Any advice ?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:50 pm

hopenwink wrote:I just ordered the MFW Kindergarten and First grade deluxe packages, and cannot wait to start!!!! I have been officially homeschooling my 2 children for several months now, but was not sure what boxed curriculum to buy. I was using an eclectic method of all sorts of things, but I wanted something more. I searched for months and finally God gave me His peace when I read the message boards from the parents using MFW. I am so thankful to the Lord for His hand in our lives, and I can`t wait to see what He does with this curriculum!

I am using the first edition because I wanted it asap! :-) I really love the idea of the hands on learning and bringing it all into the knowledge of the Lord and His world. I'm the type of person who wants step by step directions to check off as I go so I know I'm not messing anything up, but yet I want room to add any creative idea I find. First and foremost I want my kids to know the Lord Jesus as their personal Savior, and I feel this will bring us all closer to Him! <3

Any advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated, and looked forward too! God bless you all in your homeschooling journeys! :-)
Welcome....

My advice is: read through at least the first couple of weeks of lessons to get a firm grasp on the flow of each week. (Now, I'm supper organized, and end up going through the TM's at least twice over the summer before teaching, but that's me...) Then, check out the message board here in the tips and ideas sections...

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Re: READY TO START! Any advice ?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Ok, for first edition of Kindy.... maybe this would help be a tour guide while waiting for box day..... it's tradition around here that some of us (not required of course) like to have "I got my boxes" and we all share the excitement.....

take some time to read through the manual. 1st edition is organized a lot differently than other MFW programs.

let me link to an answer I wrote a long time ago
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 343#p43343

There is a thread where Marie Hazell made suggestions how to use K and 1st at the same time. You might look at that
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=191

oh dear... I just blanked on the name of the blog. oh dear... when my brain returns, I'll post that.

When I got my student materials for K, I spend some time cutting everything doing what it said in the intro. I don't think it took me that long to get it all done. It was fast and I had scissors and things.

-crystal

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:36 pm

Welcome!!! :-)

I love excitement. I love newbies. Newbies are always excited!

I am not super organized. I used to be, but my dh and I were like The Odd Couple when we got married and have both compromised a bit. I do recommend flipping through all the tips at the beginning of the TM's at least twice. You will not retain all the teaching tips from one read-through. Then go through the first couple of weeks of each manual when you're by yourself without interruption so you can get a feel for them. Look at the links crystal posted to get a feel for those programs. Then, after you teach the first week or two, reread all the teaching tips and stuff at the beginning of the TM again, because they will make even more sense.

Don't worry. Even if you had to "open and go" and start teaching right away, it still works. I did that with the ECC program and it went great. Then I ended up having a lot more time to prepare for the rest of it after a long break. It all works out.

Nice to have you around here.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:37 pm

Welcome! My only advice is:

1. Pray. Pray, pray, pray.

2. Don't freak out if you come across something you just don't get, if you have trouble making the manuals work, if it just doesn't look or feel like you thought it would. Come here. Ask questions. Ask more questions. Take your time. If you don't get the answers you need here, call the MFW office and ask them your questions. Take lots of deep breaths.

3. Have FUN! The K and 1st programs are treasures - I have an especial fondness for Kindy - enjoy it!

4. Teach the children, not the curriculum. :)
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

hopenwink

Unread post by hopenwink » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:53 pm

I cannot thank you all enough for taking time to reply. Just shows me I am not alone, and with lots of prayer and faith in the Lord for guidance along with the encouragement you kindly give now .. I know I will make it! I will have the blessing of being there with my kids as they see just how awesome He really is! They will fall in love with Him and find love in learning. That is my hope. I ask for prayer for me as I start, and I will pray for all of you to continue on w/ the joy of the Lord in your families' lives. We are so blessed to be able to do this! I am in awe of how good God is. This is what I always wanted to do, but never thought I could. He has made a way, and connected me to people who are examples of what I aspire to be. Thanks again for taking time to help a newbie! ;) God bless you all through everything .. May He be glorified in our lives!

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:12 pm

When I went back and reread what I wrote, I got a little worried that I didn't come across exactly how I wanted (I never communicate clearly online, it seems!). I just wanted to clarify, that what I said about "if it doesn't look or feel like you expected..." does not in any way mean that it won't - it might be exactly. They are really fantastic, wonderful programs. I know that when I am looking in the catalog, checking online, whatever - getting excited - whenever I get the box home, I seem to have a moment of, "Huh. Okay, so now what do I do?" That's all I meant - as you start looking through everything, you might have a minute where you go, "Wait, I don't quite get what I'm supposed to do on this day, or with these yellow pages or just whatever." Just come here and ask or call the office, if that happens to you.

And if nothing like that does happen to you, just pray for the poor crazy lady in NC and the suffering children she's trying to teach. ;)

(((HUGS))) and prayers for an awesome start and a great year!
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

hopenwink

Unread post by hopenwink » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:11 pm

cbollin wrote:we're a praying bunch !
((hugs)) and prayers.
as you have questions, ask out loud over here, or call MFW's office. We're all in this together.
-crystal
Crystal, I love praying people of God! :-) That`s how I`m able to live each day.

Melissa, I knew exactly what you meant.. and I do think I will have those moments of "now what?" lol but God is w/ us and I thank you for being honest and telling me the truth of how it might be.. at first ;) God bless you ladies today! :-)

So now that I know what curriculum to use, (UPS will be here on Monday, woohoo!) my mind goes to how to organize it all ? :~ Any tips or pics to share ? Needing the tools of the trade. ;) I live in a fairly small house where every space is filled. I do not have a "classroom" so we use our kitchen table as a desk .. one kid on each side to keep them separate. Anyway, I was just wondering what you guys do to keep it all together ? I see these Moms who not only homeschool several kids, but also document every step on blogs and I think... Wow supermoms! 8O lol I just want a system to keep things in order, and I want to put their finished work in scrapbooks as keepsakes. Again, I appreciate the help sooo much! :)

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:24 pm

hopenwink wrote:I see these Mom`s who not only homeschool several kids, but also document every step on blogs and I think... Wow supermom`s! 8O lol
No offense to anyone doing that, but I kind-of see those blogs as Christmas letters. "This is the absolute best of what we did this week, because if I told you the whole truth you wouldn't even want to keep the picture of us all in front of the tree in our matching outfits and santa hats." Seriously, no offense.

In my real world, things can get messy and rescheduled, sometimes skipped, and it still works out great. Grace is a beautiful thing.

There's great tips in the TM's about organizing your binders (keep it simple) and using file folders for Kindy. I did use the file folders and thought that worked great, but I've heard from moms who just add the next student sheet as they go and that works, too. One of the linking queens or her princesses will find you some great ideas. :-) You don't have to have lesson plans that cover every scenario for a classroom of 30 kids -- you do what works for you and your family. It'll be fine.

hopenwink

Unread post by hopenwink » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks Cyndi, I will look on that TM`s and try to be realistic about things. Thank God for His grace for sure! :) More power to anyone who can do it all, but I tend to think the way you do about showing the best and not the rest ;)

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:40 pm

We school at the kitchen table too, and it works out fine!

I agree with Cyndi about the blogs - one thing I'm trying to learn is to never compare my backstage footage to someone else's highlight reel, kwim?

I used the file folders with K too, and I still use file folders, and stick all of our weekly plans in them, and anything that I find ahead of time to go with a certain week. I do know other people like to organize K in binders, but it worked better for me to use file folders...and then, as student sheets/activities were completed, to put them in a 3-ring notebook for my son do carry around, look through, show to people, whatever. He still likes to get it out and look at it, 8 months after finishing K. (Whoa, it's been 8 months since we finished K?!?!)

Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:30 pm

I can only comment on K, as that is all I have used. Can hardly wait for first, though! I remember how welcomed I felt when I first came to this board.

I have a small home also, an old single wide mobile home with less than 750 square feet... filled wall to wall. We alternate between doing school at the table and at her desk, and sometimes outside or on the couch or on her bed or wherever. I wondered where we would keep all the K "stuff," but it has been no problem. A small shelf by our table in the kitchen holds manipulatives and such. I have a special small shelf just for library books (otherwise I would lose them). A two-drawer filing cabinet in our bedroom houses our K file folders in the top drawer (not sure what I have in the bottom), and when we start a new unit I just get out the appropriate folder and put it in Gail's desk (which is in the living room). I have a single binder type folder which holds things we do every day, like the calendar pages, flashcards and number chart and such. I just tuck the file folder in this and we're good to go. I have enjoyed the file folders immensely. It has been great fun to keep my eye out for things which might relate to future units (at used book sales, thrift store, flea market, etc) and buy them in secret then slip them into the appropriate folder to be revealed later when we do that unit. Gail is always tickled to get a surprise book or other little thing that is not borrowed from the library, but ours to keep.

You mentioned wanting to make scrapbooks. I make sure to take lots of pictures while Gail is doing a science project or craft or cooking project. These make for some fun memories. I also save all the student sheets, any little charts or drawings or mini books she makes for each unit, and whatever else is appropriate. We've been working together on a scrapbook and it has been fun (even though I'm not the scrapbookish or nice keepsake type). We count doing it as part of school, also. Now we consciously seek out things to go in the book for each unit, like a nice coloring picture to be printed off the internet or the like. For example, I was recently browsing through a Birds and Blooms magazine and came upon a quail photo. Gail asked me to tear it out and put it with her scrapbook stuff even though Q-q-quail is a long ways off yet! We keep the scrapbook stuff in one drawer in her room and take it out to work on it when the mood strikes us. We use a three ring binder, pretty paper of her choosing, and lots of clear plastic page protectors!

The ideas section of this forum is great, lots of fun ideas and book suggestions.

Keep up that wonderful enthusiasm and prayer and you will find yourself having a great year. I can't vouch for First, but the Bible and character lessons in K have been fantastic and they always seem to tie in appropriately with sermons at church or other things going on at the time. A few of the "sayings" have been used many times by my daughter to encourage ME!

Have fun and welcome!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:47 pm

MelissaM wrote:I agree with Cyndi about the blogs - one thing I'm trying to learn is to never compare my backstage footage to someone else's highlight reel, kwim?
YES! I am in love with this statement now. I think I need to print it out.

betancourt6

Unread post by betancourt6 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:09 pm

Welcome to MFW! This is our 1st year and have absolutely enjoyed every minute! God bless you and your family for having the courage to teach your children in the ways they should go! :-)
The Betancourt 6:
Jackie B.
Married for 21+ years to Joe
Sons 21 & 11, Daughters 16 & 14
2015-2016: Expl-1850, AHL, US to 1877

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:32 am

Cyndi (AZ) wrote:
MelissaM wrote:I agree with Cyndi about the blogs - one thing I'm trying to learn is to never compare my backstage footage to someone else's highlight reel, kwim?
YES! I am in love with this statement now. I think I need to print it out.
and remember...... those people with their highlight reels, also have the blooper reels, just like we all do. :)

I should link to some of the pictures I've left on this forum that show my house a bit messy....
heee heee this one
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 761#p47453
1st pic - that looks clean, yes?
2nd pic: ooh... I was also doing Kindy. check out my back door.
3rd pic - LOL LOL.... you mean I didn't do the dishes before taking the photo? PS... that was clean for my kitchen counter...
the funny thing on that photo sequence... is the story behind it. We were in ECC. Someone on the forum said something "help with tabernacle"...... so on a whim, in 2 hours from start to finish without looking ahead or anything... I grabbed my old CTG manual. and we started it. We were interrupted by lunch when youngest wanted to cook... and then.. we had to find the supplies and find the camera along the way....

giggle... Mr. Penguin! ooh.. doesn't my kitchen table look "perfect" LOL
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 103#p46103
and I thought I cleaned it up just for the picture. LOL LOL

even in the messes and fun and stress.... and scaled back for making it make sense

you don't have to be supermom to homeschool.
You will be a super mom from homeschooling. blooper reels and all.

only those making you buy their products have to be picture perfect and pretty and wear jewels everyday for school while children sit perfectly happy and content. but remember.... the photo sessions probably took hours to get that nice. it's called marketing.

Cyndi alluded to maybe there are some links to older thread with prep on them. While scanning the titles of the archives... maybe there's something in here
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8844
or http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2642
or http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6115

that might have something for Prep for K?
I don't know the content of those threads... just the titles of the threads seem to apply

and for Prep for 1st
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6465

too much information overload! yikes..... don't get scared by all of that.
-crystal

jhagberg

Unread post by jhagberg » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:01 am

hopenwink wrote:I do not have a "classroom" so we use our kitchen table as a desk .. one kid on each side to keep them separate. Anyway, I was just wondering what you guys do to keep it all together?
We also use our kitchen table. I have a tall bookcase nearby where I keep all of our school books and other supplies. When we start each day, I gather our stack of things to do that day from the shelf and put them on the table. Then, as we complete each assignment, we put each book back on the shelf. As we go through the day, our pile on the table gets smaller and smaller until it's all gone and we're done! :)
Joyce

hopenwink

Unread post by hopenwink » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:48 am

You ladies are so wonderful and encouraging and amazing... blooper reels and all!! ;) I consider myself so blessed to be connected in any way to such godly homeschooling cool people like yourselves! :-) You really have made me realize that with the right heart/motives I can do this. I love everyone of your comments!! I appreciate all of you as MFW friends!! :)

Love n Christ always+
~Erika

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:42 pm

We're glad to have you here, Erika. If you can giggle at all our goofiness and mistakes with us, you're MORE than welcome. I love a forum where we can keep it real and not picture perfect. The great thing is that when other people spend time around our children they say things like, "Your children are so smart! So well-behaved! So helpful! So sweet!" Yep - all of us have had those moments. So even if we're not supermoms, we're doing what God called us to do and He's blessing us.

What did Crystal say? I've got to go find that . . . .
cbollin wrote:you don't have to be supermom to homeschool.
that's going by the computer, too

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:37 pm

Erika, I wanted to say, "Welcome along"!

No other advise other than what you have already gotten. Just keep asking if you come across a question as you go along. There are really great ladies on here that can always help. And MFW is absolutely great at talking with you over the phone! They are very accessible and willing to help!
MelissaM wrote:one thing I'm trying to learn is to never compare my backstage footage to someone else's highlight reel, kwim?
I really needed to hear this!!! Thanks, Melissa! I have written it down. I think I may frame it and place it near my computer! :)

Of course, I don't think that I have that many highlight reels, but we keep plugging along and hoping and praying that God can make something beautiful out of all of this (our feeble attempts at being obedient to His calling)!
All I can say is that God is GOOD AND FAITHFUL!!!
cbollin wrote:you don't have to be supermom to homeschool.
Love this, too!

Speaking of quotes....I wrote Melissa's quote on my church calendar which is hanging on my fridge right above a picture of John Wayne. Yes, we are Western fans around here. What can I say? I am surrounded by men (one full-grown man and 4 in different stages of men-in-training. My 17 month old even recognizes John Wayne in pictures and points and jabbers excitedly.) Anyway, this reminded me of a quote that is on a John Wayne coffee cup that my boys got their dad for Christmas one year that I think applies to this pilgrimage journey of homeschooling. It says,
  • "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."
May we all saddle up and see God do amazing things!

Oh, does this make anyone else want to sing the Steven Curtis Chapman song, The Great Adventure.
"Saddle up your horses we've got a trail to blaze
Through the wild blue yonder of God's amazing grace
Let's follow our leader into the glorious unknown
This is a life like not other - this is The Great Adventure"

It must be all the rainy weather. Or maybe too much coffee or maybe not enough coffee. :~ I do know one thing...I have put off cleaning for long enough. Time to get busy.

Amy C.

Stephc

Unread post by Stephc » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:54 am

There is some GREAT advice in this thread! I love what Crystal and Melissa and all of you said! Because we live in my parents' house right now, our backstage footage has *become* our highlight reel, and it is so easy to forget that no one is perfect. All of our mistakes and ugly moments are so very public! But that is why I keep coming back to MFW---the talk of God's grace is not something you get in just any old curriculum, and certainly not on ginormica Latin-speaking homeschool forums (talk about feeling like a failure!). So thank all of you for the encouragement this morning.

And Amy--I LOVE that song. LOVE Steven Curtis Chapman and all he does.
Stephanie
Wife to my hero
Mom to our 7
DD14, DD11, DS10, DS8, DD5, DD3, DD19 months
Using Kindy and AHL

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:17 am

Hey,

Just coming back to this thread...I would LOVE to take credit for that quote, but I have never thought of anything that smart on my own. ;) I think I heard a speaker say it, or read it in a book, and I can't remember exactly where - it might have been something Todd Wilson said, though I'm sure I badly paraphrased it, lol. Honestly, I can't remember where it came from, but it did stick with me, as at least something to strive for.

You should see what's going on backstage here today....if we did reading and math and now the kids are playing together nicely, can we call that school for the day? Mama's tired....

Hugs to everyone!
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:29 am

reading
math
and kids well socialized..... you are getting school going for the day. good job mom!

over here....

let's see... I got the oldest to get her rear out of bed and she emptied the dishwasher! oh wow..... she's doing her Bible lessons now. this is a miracle. bigger miracle would be too embarrassing to say on the internet!
middle gal -- her math is too tough for my brain today..... but I have a solutions manual. She noticed a problem was repeated from yesterday's lesson. she got it right this time. good job kid.
youngest - is uhmmm.. uhmm... how do I describe this so it sounds good......I know... youngest is doing independent study with variations on science experiments. (translation.... she's seeing if her recipe for peanut butter cookies works well when you roll it out and use cookie cutters on it instead of rolling it in your hand and mashing it with a fork. I have too much of a headache to deal with a sugar cookie recipe).

advil................ and art work now for middle gal...........

-crystal