** Users explain why we love K!

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
dschurma

Re: Our first day with K

Unread post by dschurma » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:30 am

I smile when I see posts about moms and kids enjoying the first days of kindergarten! We won't be starting until September, but I agree with you 100% about the constant pointing to Jesus. As I have looked over my friend's teacher manual, I am amazed at the way this curriculum continually points to the Lord. THAT is what truly drew me to this curriculum, and I look forward to using it!

I hope that you and your little one continue to enjoy it!
Dawn
wife to Keith
Mama to Alex (12/2007) Max (8/2009) and Jensyn (4/2011)
Visit our family's blog: http://mamasmonkeys.blogspot.com

lea_lpz

Loving our First Week of MFW K

Unread post by lea_lpz » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:14 am

So we are on day 4 today of Creation and it's been such a fun experience for us so far! I have great feeling about this year! I love how everything is mapped out on the grid so well and easy to follow and that the program is so complete without much leg work on my part...that is unless I want to and have the extra time. Then it's a wonderful spring board for a wealth of other projects! Disclaimer: I love researching topics. But it's great to know that my daughter's not missing out on anything. Plus, she's so active so the time this takes and all the hands on activity is really clicking for her.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

Yodergoat

Re: Loving our First Week of MFW K

Unread post by Yodergoat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:01 pm

That's great to hear!

We're just finishing up K and we loved it.

And it is nice to read a post about how easy the grid is! So glad they updated it!

Have fun and enjoy.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

amelasky

Re: Loving our First Week of MFW K

Unread post by amelasky » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:42 pm

We loved EVERY week of K both times that we completed the program. What a wonderful year. :-)
Annie
Married to my best friend and high school sweetheart for 18years. Blessed momma to my princess (14) and little warrior (10).
Exploration to 1850

Yodergoat

All done with K!

Unread post by Yodergoat » Thu May 24, 2012 5:47 pm

I don't know whether to celebrate or cry. Mayhap both!

We are all finished with K here. Can't believe it. Due to my fertility issues, this is probably going to be my one and only time for Kindergarten, and it is all done. ;( So it is a strange and melancholy thing to see such a milestone as Kindergarten passing by with her already.

But I'm rejoicing, also! We had a fun year and I feel as if we both learned so many things. I can certainly foresee us quoting many of the K adages for years to come. ;)

Time for a short break, then we will move on to MFW First. My daughter wants to start immediately, which is good because it shows enthusiasm, but I want a little time to get prepped for it, and some time for her just to play with the dogs and kittens, to swing, to play in the sprinkler and catch bugs and toads. We will be working on putting together our K memory book. Looking forward to that as we review the year and see how she progressed. As I do so, I will try to post some of the fun things we did this year to the K ideas board.

Just had to share this bittersweet moment.

Thank you to all the writers of this great curriculum and the great folks here who helped make Kindergarten a success for this new homeschooling Momma and a very special little girl!
I'm Shawna...

CaseyVG

Re: All done with K!

Unread post by CaseyVG » Thu May 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Congratulations on finishing K! We have two weeks left, and then we're going to celebrate by going to Chuck E Cheese! Blessings to you and Gail!
Casey
Casey

Caleb: ECC (finished MFW Adventures, 1st & K)
Rebekah: 1st (finished K)
Joshua: 2 year old
Matthew: baby
I blogged MFW K, 1st & Adventures at http://www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com

kimber79

Unread post by kimber79 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:38 pm

We just finished MFW-K today and have loved this year!! We're also going to celebrate at Chuck E. Cheese since my son has a ball there! There were several things we didn't get to do though due to time and other life circumstances so we'll revisit those over the summer. Looking forward to MFW-1st! :)

amelasky

Unread post by amelasky » Wed May 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I can understand your pain and elation as you have your miracle baby. I am eternally grateful for the two blessings that God did give me.

It was extremely difficult when I finished K with my son. I knew that he was my final child (I had to have a hysterectomy several years ago). I did cry and it took a little heart / attitude adjustment to not be so sad.

My daughter who is almost 11, still quotes lessons out of K and it has sustained me through lots of struggles along the way as well. So know that the lessons you imparted in your precious daughter this year will be with you both for a long time! I love that about this program. Life long, meaningful lessons. :-)
Annie
Married to my best friend and high school sweetheart for 18years. Blessed momma to my princess (14) and little warrior (10).
Exploration to 1850

MelissaB

New here!

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:40 pm

HappilyHome wrote:We will be starting MFW K in the fall and are really excited. I'm looking forward to getting to know and learning from y'all!
We did K two years ago. Oh, it is such a sweet, precious year. Every nature walk, every science exploration... you're going to absolutely love MFW K curriculum. We're enjoying Rome to Reformation this year.

So, welcome aboard!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

lea_lpz

Re: New here!

Unread post by lea_lpz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi! We're doing MFWK this year and are on unit 17 Kk Kangeroo and as new homeschool mom who didn't know where to begin, I am really grateful that The Lord lead me to this curriculum. It's been such a blessing to have it all laid out for me and it's been a fun year! I love so much about it: Bible, the hands on activities and crafts, the read aloud suggestions. It's also very affordable! I know you'll just love it :).
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Welcome! I did K & 1st with my dd & she is now joining in the cycle on RTR with her 12 yr old brother. We have also done ECC & CTG. We have thoroughly enjoyed the thorough content and strong biblical foundation of MFW. Enjoy K - it is a wonderful year - I am hoping my son might choose to homeschool my granddaughter so I can teach it again!!!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:58 am

Welcome, we LOVE K!
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

HappilyHome

Unread post by HappilyHome » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:14 pm

Thank you all! One of the reasons I decided on MFW was because of the Bible being a big part of the curriculum. I'm looking forward to learning right alongside my sweet girl.

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:56 pm

Welcome!

We did K last year with our daughter (an only child) and loved it! Be sure to look over all the wonderful ideas in the "Ideas" section for K, as well as the K archives. You have lots of time to prepare. One idea is to be setting up file folders for each unit. I loved finding little extra things here and there to stick in each folder as I was preparing for K... all very cheaply as I found most of them at yard sales or library books sales for 25 cents or so. Then as we went through each unit I would reveal the surprises (stickers, puzzles, books, toys, etc on each theme). What fun that was!

I hope you enjoy MFW K, and this great board!
I'm Shawna...

Poohbee

Excited, yet nervous!

Unread post by Poohbee » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:27 pm

MunkyWrangler wrote:After many months of ghosting both the forum and the MFW website, my husband and I finally took the plunge and ordered MFW last night! So here we are, flailing around like we have an idea as to what we're doing. We're worried after reading some reviews that MFWK will be a little weak in some areas since she covered a lot of it in preschool but we also like how it's age appropriate.
Welcome to homeschooling and to MFW!

I started using MFW 8 years ago when my oldest dd started kindergarten and we've been using it ever since. This curriculum has been such a blessing to our family! I am gearing up to use MFW K for the third time with my last child.

Some things I love about MFW K are the character themes/lessons each week that focus on Jesus and the Bible; the fun, hands-on science with the Usborne books; simple but effective hands-on activities to reinforce the theme being studied; gentle, natural introduction to math topics; and the wonderful children's literature suggestions for each theme.

I love that MFW K is a gentle introduction to formal schooling. It is easy to want to jump in with both feet and add a bunch of stuff when you start teaching your oldest because they are excited to learn and you are excited to be teaching them. My suggestion for you would be to not plan too much. Let the kindergarten one be a year of gentle learning and lots of play. Play is still so important in the kindergarten and 1st grade years. That is why it is wonderful that MFW K only takes 1 to 1 1/2 hours to do each day. You can still have plenty of time for play and for other interests. Don't do too much because a school day is 3-4 hours (1/2 days) or 7 hours (full day) in a public school. It doesn't take that much time to teach one or two children at home, especially when you are doing it one-on-one. Start out light and add more as you feel the need. You can always add things. :-)

Pray and devote your coming school year to God, and enjoy the journey! Homeschooling has its ups and downs, but what in life doesn't? I always say that I have the best job in the world...staying home with my kids, teaching them. It has it's challenges, but the benefits are amazing!

May God bless you as you begin your homeschooling journey!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

MuzzaBunny

Re: Excited, yet nervous!

Unread post by MuzzaBunny » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:34 pm

I would just like to encourage you that you made a wonderful choice! MFWK was such a beautiful year for us. It gave my dd a very strong foundation in her math and reading readiness. She's now a voracious reader and really likes school. MFWK math gave her such a strong base that she breezes through Singapore, but most importantly, she learned Biblical values and lessons that remain today and often come up in our days. She has often said that she misses K because it was such a happy, simple time. Best wishes as you dive in!
Bunny

manyblessings

Why should I use Kindergarten?

Unread post by manyblessings » Thu May 28, 2015 11:57 am

ruthamelia wrote:I'm looking for someone to sell me on using MFW K materials! I know I've read great things in the archives and this is a common question, just looking for some fresh thoughts! I am leaning towards using this for my daughter who is begging to join school with her older cousins.

However, the three of them were very successful with whatever we put together for K for each of them (none used MFW for K) and I feel confident that I could do the same for her. She already loves Get Ready For the Code and some books from Crititcal Thinking Co, and we do LOTS of reading. She even occasionally tries to join in on Science in the Beginning from CTG.

So, I'm looking for thoughts on why I should use MFW K instead of continuing down the same path. In particular the core materials- I already know we wouldn't do the science extras. What did you love most? Thank you!
Ruth
Hello! I used K years ago. What I loved was actually having everything put together for me :) I was able to put together my own, and did so successfully for one child, but MFW does such a great job of it, it saves a lot of time. I was able to spend more time having fun teaching rather than researching, planning, tweaking, etc. Everything we needed for Bible, Math, and Language Arts with phonics was all in one place. I also did the whole deluxe package with science extras; it goes so well with the rest, and was just plain fun :) The school day was short, yet covered everything so well, and we still had time to just live family life and for the kids to be kids.

It was one of my best years homeschooling ever, and as you can see from my signature, I've been at it a long time :) I am now eagerly awaiting the revised preschool program for my youngest student :-) Edited to add, I just reread and saw that your younger is joining in science with the olders, so you are right, you won't need the science extras unless you wanted to :)
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA
2018-2019 LGS

Julie in MN

Re: Why should I use Kindergarten?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:04 am

I did most of K with my grandson and he didn't "need" any of the lessons, since he was in public school, all-day K.

It was a very special time for us. Marie is simply gifted in choosing important lessons in character and faith, and in explaining them to little ones.

She also understands the way this age group learns everything by doing. They may feel very grown up with workbook pages and successful memorization, and there is some of that, including songs and poems. But I'm convinced that it's the doing that gets into them for the long haul, whether it's playing hide-and-seek to learn "I can't hide from God" or measuring his height and comparing to the height of an emperor penguin to get what those inches and feet really mean. None of the activities seemed like busyness; they were just enough to make a point in a way that 5-6 year olds will absorb. And they fit in our busy days.

I agree that K is just plain fun. I'm a fan!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MelissaB

Re: Why should I use Kindergarten?

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:06 pm

Hi, Ruth ~

The mixture of character, science and reading lessons all woven together with delightful(!) reading books to share is what makes MFW's K unique.

K changes activities often - so there's no boredom, no tears, but consistent learning activity. It doesn't have "dumbed down" activities in order to help our students get "re-engaged." Each of the activities in the MFW curriculum are fun, and yet full of academic learning.

In addition, there's also a really good balance between the hands-on and the written activities.

We loved it.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4