Readiness for K - What do you expect a child to know? (autho

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
Marie

Readiness for K - What do you expect a child to know? (autho

Unread post by Marie » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:45 pm

Kelley wrote:I want to be sure that my child will be ready for the K program. What do you suggest for Preschool?

Thanks!
Kelley
Here are some things to consider for determining readiness for kindergarten.

Age: Most children do best if they are 5. Some children are ready at 4 but many boys are NOT. We encourage you NOT TO RUSH into K. Kids who are pushed too early may be seem successful for a few years, but they can reach a "burn-out" point later. Let's keep the joy and adventure in learning.

Wiggle Factor: Can your child sit still for about 15 minutes to do a pencil-paper task? K does expect a child to one worksheet a day (maybe 15 minutes) but most of the program is active.

Fine motor: Does your child like to sit and write with a pencil, even if it is scribbles?

Desire: Is your child asking to do school?

We have a preschool package that focuses on skills needed for kindergarten. Each "toy" in the package is actually developing an important skill.

Number Puzzle Boards and Pegs (math)
Kids Puzzle (visual discrimination)
Lace & Link Lowercase Letters (reading readiness)
Lacing Shapes (pencil grip--you hold the lace similar to a pencil; fine motor)
Fit-A-Space (thinking skills--categories and sequence)
8" Pegboard (math)

All of them also help develop fine motor skills, following directions, completing an assigned task, etc.

MelissaB

MFWK - Not recognizing all letters yet???

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:01 pm

Jesus_is_King wrote:I'm (still, haha) trying to decide whether or not to do MFWK with my almost-5yo. He is counting to about 20 and knows his alphabet, but doesn't recognize most letters yet. I guess now that I'm ready to get the MFWK package, I'm reading some posts/reviews and concerned that maybe it's *too* advanced for him? I'm not really wanting to do the Pre-K program, so I'm not sure whether to get K and see how it works or just stick to doing a few workbooks & things I put together here??
Hi, Kathleen -

I think MFW K will fit perfectly. Each week focuses on one letter and its sound all four days. (Day 5 is a Nature Walk and special book reading time together, if I remember correctly. :-) ) There are lots of hands-on, fun activities and games to reinforce the learning each day, with a few worksheets mixed in. The Science lesson and suggested reading books also revolved around the "letter of the week."

By the end of the year, he'll be reading simple books - and you'll have had a wonderful year with no tears, lots of time together, and lots of fun.

Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Jesus_is_King

Re: MFWK - Not recognizing all letters yet???

Unread post by Jesus_is_King » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Thanks. That's what I was thinking originally, but then I started to doubt my choice. I think I'm going to order my kids' stuff tonight so I can't keep wondering and changing my mind! ;)
Kathleen ~
Married to Mr. Mike for 14 years!!!
Bradon - 11; Alexys - 8 1/2; Haylee - 7; Levi - 4 1/2; Alli - 2 1/2

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:12 pm

Jesus_is_King wrote:I'm (still, haha) trying to decide whether or not to do MFWK with my almost-5yo. He is counting to about 20 and knows his alphabet, but doesn't recognize most letters yet. I guess now that I'm ready to get the MFWK package, I'm reading some posts/reviews and concerned that maybe it's *too* advanced for him? I'm not really wanting to do the Pre-K program, so I'm not sure whether to get K and see how it works or just stick to doing a few workbooks & things I put together here??
Here's what the MFW website says:
  • We usually recommend waiting to begin kindergarten until the year a child will be five years old in September. Some older four-year-olds are ready for kindergarten. When it is time to make this decision, you can ask yourself several questions about your child:

Is he ready to sit down and do 20-30 minutes of written work each day?
    Does he have the manual dexterity to begin writing letters and words, and is he interested in doing so?
    Is your child taking time to sit down to draw and color on his own initiative?
    Is he excited about starting school?

If you can answer yes to these questions, your child is probably ready for My Father's World from A to Z kindergarten curriculum. If your child is not strong in these areas, we recommend our Preschool Package
Not sure exactly when your son will be 5, but I'm glad my grandson turned 5 last November so there wasn't a question about starting kindergarten until this fall, when he will be "almost 6." I'm a better-late-than-early gal, if you can't tell already :)

However, that isn't because K is advanced. It's just because K starts the seatwork and the abstract thinking that I find goes more quickly and smoothly at a later age. I also feel there is less memorization without understanding when the child is slightly older. That means, when I held off on K for my kids, I held off on all seatwork and let them learn the way little ones learn best -- exploring, investigating, trying things out, chatting about things, learning to listen, noticing details, following oral directions, sorting, naming, moving, painting huge boxes, etc etc. Lots of learning, plenty of "math" and "language arts." Just no symbolic representations on paper, no "coloring in the lines" until the child is really ready :)

So that's another way to look at it,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Jesus_is_King

Unread post by Jesus_is_King » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:52 pm

Julie, that's the thing...the answer to all those questions is yes! I was planning on just doing preschool stuff this year, but I'm thinking he would do better with more "meat".
Kathleen ~
Married to Mr. Mike for 14 years!!!
Bradon - 11; Alexys - 8 1/2; Haylee - 7; Levi - 4 1/2; Alli - 2 1/2

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:33 am

Here's an idea....

Why not just wait to start Kindy when he turns 5? he doesn't have to start in September, right? If he turns 5 in October... why not start then?

In order to start Kindy... a student does not have to know all of his letters. So don't worry that it is too advanced because blending starts in unit 6. before that... work on fine motor skills and enjoying story telling with each other.

when is his birthday?

-crystal

afelton

Unread post by afelton » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:18 am

My daughter was 4 and didn't recognize all her letters when we started MFWK. The program has really helped her with recognition and sounds. She is reading short vowel words. Just to encourage you in your decision.
Using MFW since 2010.
Wife of Terry since 2002.
M (12) Exp to 1850
H(10) Exp to 1850
E (10) Learning God's Story(recently adopted)
C(8) Exp to 1850
J(6) Learning God's Story

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:00 am

My dd turned 5 in April and we started MFW K shortly after she turned five. When we started she really couldn't differentiate between number or letters and only recognized about 4 letters. She could not form them on her own. Now she can recognize about 22/26 letters and can recognize numbers 0-10 and rotary count. Place value she starting to get place value. We are on unit 5. We're taken it slow, planning to finish up just before Memorial Day, so doing school 3 days a week in summer, and 4 during traditional school year. Each letter unit is 6 days. I feel like it gives them just the right amount of time to grasp the letter and the multisensory approach is really doing wonders for my dd. Also, every week, previous letters are reviewed, so I am feeling confident she'll know them all and be able to write them reasonably well! I think that kids can go into MFW K without even having letter / number exposure and do well. My dd did, she went a private Christian preschool 3 mornings a week where they did letter of the week, numbers, etc. , but didn't click for her! Ultimatly if your child is struggling MFW K suggests spreading MFWK out over 2 years. You could find threads on that. Or you could start him as an older 5 year old k'er because I have the MFW preschool package and the index cards have varying difficulty levels for 3-5 year olds, some that would be quite challenging for a five year old. Ultimately you have to pray on it and find what works for you guys. You could always get MFW K and start at a pace to finish in a year but if you find that it's moving too fast, shelf it for next year and get the preschool package and use some other affordable preschool options (I use Rod & Staff and Before Five In A Row for my 3 year old in addition to MFW preschool package, and both have options for 5 year olds) or spread it out over 2 years by doing MFWK 3 days a week instead of 5 and maybe have a review day once a week and an extra day 6, chosing the other book day choice? They always have 2 and I have been able to find every book day book through my library and inter library loan throughy computer so I just go pick up my holds and it's all there fore. Much Better than searching for a book and having your toddler and k'er running wild! I personally might very well be starting my ds who has a June birthday at 6 for K. I don't know what the k cut off is for your state, but in California it is being moved back a month a school year to have an ultimate cut off date of Sept. 1 by the time my son is 5, which means he'd be a young k'er, where before, with a Dec.1 birthday he'd be right in the middle. So I am thinking about the advanced future, where he'd be a young college student in our state.

When's his b-day?
Jesus_is_King wrote:His bday is Oct 12, so currently he'd still be in preschool, but years ago, he would have been going into K. We are just going to start K and take it as slow as we need to!
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)