Schedule - What if our day is too SHORT?

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
MammaBear

Schedule - What if our day is too SHORT?

Unread post by MammaBear » Tue May 29, 2007 10:26 am

What do you do ALL day?
momto2bears wrote:My kids are early risers. Up by 7 the latest. If we eat and do school we'll be done about 9 or 10, right???? That leaves an awful long amount of time so can you explain to me what your day was like in K?
Well, I have 1 using K now- of course she has older siblings so that makes a difference.

What we do all day: music lessons, park play, memory work, reading, take time to attend concerts and plays, museums and exhibits, zoo, and life skills. Now is a great time to work on nature study too.

Do not forget discipline.
  • "We have found in our own experience that if the area of discipline is neglected, then we may as well forget about academics altogether. Children will never learn self-discipline if parents do not train them in it. The child who does not develop self-discipline will fail in many things — including the academics you are preparing him for. Do not allow your child to ignore you. You are the immediate reason for why he is alive. When you tell him something, make sure he hears you. When you read to him, do not let his attention wander too far. Of course, be sensitive. There are going to be times when he has something he needs to think about, and you may need to leave him do so. But do not let him shut you out. You must always have his attention when you speak. You must always have something for him to hear. No, we do not live up to that standard. But that should be the standard by which we measure.

Do not let your child rule you. Let him rule himself. A man must rule himself before he can rule others. (Think of all of the offices which have become inverted and perverted because of men who could not first rule themselves.) Nobody learns to rule himself by obeying his own desires. He can only learn to rule himself by obeying another’s desires. There must be something larger than himself to serve. (That is why the concept of God is inescapable. If you do not follow the true God, then you have to invent a substitute god to serve a similar function.) If you can teach your child to know himself and rule himself, then he will be able to rule that part of the world which you give to him, and eventually that part of the world of which God places him in stewardship

During one of our trips, we visited a family which lived a very simple life in a very modest home, and homeschooled their five small children. The parents were quite soft spoken and gentle in manner, always speaking to the children in a calm, quiet way. From the very beginning of our visit, it became obvious that the children "attended" to the voices of their parents. The parents had first time obedience from even the youngest, and this obedience was obtained with a quiet voice and manner. In all my life, I have never witnessed anything like it. On one occasion, the one year old began to climb up on the kerosene heater. I saw the father give an almost imperceptible shake of the head and heard him say in a whisper, "Isaac, huh, uh." Immediately the child shifted into reverse and backed away from the heater. The child attended to and obeyed the very whisper of his father. It moves me to tears to recall that scene and the affection which the children and parents had for each other. Oh, that I had trained my children so well when they were young. God wants first time obedience from us, and we should form the same habit in our children. When we resort to speaking in a loud voice when we want something of our children, or when we form the habit of repeating our requests, we train our children to ignore us when we speak. If we could only begin at the very beginning to train our children to attend to our voice — to listen for it no matter what they are doing, and to immediately obey, how well we will prepare them to listen to their heavenly father as well.

If we were to accomplish this, then our children would view their parents as servants view their masters, and as subjects view their king. They would have great respect and honor for their parents, wanting only to please them. Of course, the king would be a benevolent and kind master who cared most for his subjects, always treating them with tenderness and love. Yes, we are kings and queens, our homes are our castles, and the little ones are the servants training one day to be masters of their own homes. Does a queen need to resort to yelling to get something done? Not likely in a well ordered kingdom. How much better our world would be if we rendered first time obedience to our Lord."
This was taken from Trivium Pursuit. A wonderful resource and they highly recommend MFW too!

Give lots of free time to play. Read lots of good books. There will be time for more later. HTH!
Mamma Bear to 4dc - 12yos, 10yodd, 8yodd, 5yodd
Used K, Adv, and ECC, skipped CTG, using RTR now.
Also use FIAR

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue May 29, 2007 10:48 am

Here's a fun old thread about productive afternoons

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=1829

rachel

Unread post by rachel » Tue May 29, 2007 11:53 am

Hi Caren,

I have young children as well and I have done a lot of thinking about routines! For us, I think the fact that the official "school-work" takes little time for Kindergarten and first grade also helps balance out the time and energy that having young children takes in general/house-work/life, etc.

I have read the thread that Crystal posted that has great ideas for afternoons for any extra time that you do have! But for us, to keep up with the laundry, eat at home and keep things "peaceful"- I have found- at this stage- that it helps if I don't add too much extra.

I was even tempted, once again, for the summer- to have too much planned just because that seems more "normal" and is probably habit for me... I've scaled down my expectations quite a bit and I think the list I have now might actually get accomplished!

Blessings! We will be doing MFWK and Adventures in the fall- Just completed MFW-first grade.
Rachel
Currently using MFW K/1 and ADV with daughter (2000); 3 Sons (2001, 2003-twins); and baby girl (2007)

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Tue May 29, 2007 2:03 pm

Hi Caren! This is a great question and the other ladies have already pointed you in the right direction, but here is more specifically what our days were like this year in MFWK. My dc were not as early risers as yours, so instead of giving specific times I will just give you the typical order or routine of one of our best days! (Of course, they don't all go as planned!)

We would take 1-1.5 hours to wake up, have breakfast, clean up the kitchen, get dressed, brush hair, teeth, etc. even start some laundry, make beds, etc. We always read a short devotion and sometimes I started our Bible lesson at the breakfast table. When it was nice out we began our school time with a walk around our block. I walked the dogs and the kids could ride bikes/tricycles, pull the wagon, whatever.

Then, we would begin "school time". Now, I tried to do school all in the morning; some people prefer to break it up during the day. We would have a morning meeting (from my classroom days) and do our calendar, 100 chart, a message on the whiteboard, learn a nursery rhyme or our phone number, etc. Then move into the phonics work - a lot of which we still did there at the "meeting" with the white board and some manipulatives. Then we would do the seat work. Then, we would usually need a snack break and maybe play a game during snack time. Then, we would finish whatever wasn't done, have some music, art, project time and read aloud time so that we could be done before lunch.

After lunch, I let me kids have "quiet time" where they play freely in our basement and they can watch a video for a little while. That's when I wrote in my lesson planner what was done/what we would plan on doing the next day, catch up on bills, put laundry away, e-mail, etc.

Mid-afternoon, we usually have another snack. Our afternoons are more varied because we can go play outside and do yardwork, take a trip to the library, do grocery shopping, other errands, walk to a friend's house to play, have the kids help clean their rooms, Co-op, park outings, field trips, etc. Of course, it works best when we get back home and have time to prepare supper and then can have "family time" in the evening or go to other church or extracurricular activities.

My school time took longer than 1.5-2 hours some days because I added in my own music lessons (I used to teach music) and my kids just didn't like to hurry on the written work. We also read a lot of read alouds, more than just the one per week that went with our theme, which added time.

This year was our first year of homeschooling and I felt like the dc learned a lot about helping around our house with different chores and discipline, like was mentioned above. Some days I would so enjoy hearing my two dc playing their own games together, pretending they were different people or a family with their dolls and stuffed animals or superheros or whatever. They don't always get along perfectly, but I feel like they've continued to play together and enjoy their relationship, instead of expecting to play with other children all the time. I like how close they are to each other right now! I also feel that part of them being home is allowing them this "free play" time to be a child.

I know one of the threads mentioned above was a good one filled with other ideas. I know what works for each family is different, but I hope you can find something in this post that is helpful!!

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

rachel

Unread post by rachel » Tue May 29, 2007 2:29 pm

Rachel (great name!),
For a first year of homeschooling, you seem to have really known what you were doing!! Hearing your routine helps as I think about mine. Although it is such a blessing to do this, it is difficult in many ways for me to not have anyone "tangible" to be accountable to. It has made me have to further deepen my walk with the Lord to walk in confidence about what I am doing as there are so many choices!! But, it seems like your classroom experience has helped you, as well. Thanks for sharing how your day goes- for some reason, that helps!
Rachel
Currently using MFW K/1 and ADV with daughter (2000); 3 Sons (2001, 2003-twins); and baby girl (2007)

sarajoy

Unread post by sarajoy » Wed May 30, 2007 1:24 pm

I agree with RachelT. I love my kids' "quiet time." They have it for about an hour or so up in their own rooms after lunch. By then I need a break from them and the day and they need a break from each other (and probably me). I spend some of the time being "productive," but I also use time for me. (Call it "coffee break.") Also the time apart really helps my 2 dd's get along better.

Time for free play is so important. So many kids lack the skills to interact with others or occupy themselves without the use of a computer or TV. My kids can make games and toys or anything and be well occupied. They also dramatize their favorite characters off and on all day, from Tinker Bell to Laura and Mary to Super Girl and Batman. (Who knew that Laura Ingalls was rescued from the rushing creek by Super Girl.) This is a time where little imaginations need time and space to grow. And sometimes the best way to do that is to not overschedule.

My daily schedule with MFWK has been similar to RachelT's and it has been a great introduction to homeschooling for my kids and me. It has NOT become this thing that is too big or too overwhelming for us. It is just "what we do." And that fits for us. Sometimes we add in other things and sometimes we keep it very simple.

Blessings,
SJ

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Wed May 30, 2007 11:04 pm

Rachel - (It's fun to write to another Rachel!)

Thank you for letting me know I have helped you!! I want to remind you that my listed "routine" was just what a really good day was like! They are not all as great as the list. I want to be better about having a bedtime/wakeup time that is the same for me and the kids (and here I am writing at almost midnight!).

I am thankful that God gave me preparation for teaching my own children through my former work experience and training in college for teaching. But, I feel that I've also had to overcome some of my ideas about what school should be like because of that past, too. (Pushing too hard on things.)

You probably noticed that I said that the kids have "quiet time" with a video, well, that happened when they stopped taking naps at 2.5 or 3 and like sarajoy, not only do the kids need a break, but I need one, too!! (That's when I usually check out this message board!) I would like to say that they rest in their rooms or read, but we are not there, yet. They have enjoyed listening to some Adventures in Odyssey cds, though, and I think we'll try that more again, soon.

I guess I wanted you to know that I'm there with you, I'm not the "June Cleaver" of home education!!

SaraJoy:
Who knew that Laura Ingalls was rescued from the rushing creek by Super Girl.)
That cracks me up!! Your "keep it simple" sounds like a great motto. I think there was a post recently about not overscheduling and getting used to being at home together more with the kids and not out running around so much. Anyway, it always makes me feel better to hear that someone else is having a similar experience.

Have a great day!
Rachel (T)
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

rachel

Unread post by rachel » Thu May 31, 2007 11:05 am

Rachel T-

I come from a family of "educators" and have friends that are homeschooling that have degrees in education as well (my grandmother, former teacher, love her, said, "Why would you do a thing like that?" in response to me telling her that I would homeschool).

In my coffee group that I attend off and on, there are 3 previous teachers and me (my professional background is family therapy- ha!).

Anyway, my mother is a school nurse who actually recieved the "teacher of the year" award a little while back because, well, just to brag on her- she is truly amazing.

Well, I went with her not too long ago to help with some kind of "fun-run"- and I was a little nervous about the brunch afterwards where I would have to fess up to all of these teachers that I ... uh... homeschool.

So, I start visiting with these teachers and it is clear once again to me that most of the time, the teachers are not the problem but put in the same difficult position as the rest of us as far as the school system goes...

Anyway, the topic was broached that I actually homeschool. The first question was, "So, who are you accountable to?" to which I answered, "No one! That's the problem! It really makes it hard!" (yes, I know that we are accountable to the Lord and our husbands- but I think you might know what I mean).

Well- after that- and after I expressed my appreciation for teachers of their calibur- they were so supportive of my homeschooling endeavors!! So supportive that a couple of teachers actually pulled me aside to let me know that they would actually be homeschooling their own children.

Isn't that funny? Or encouraging, I hope. I think we are all more in this together than we realize sometimes (although my family members- that have gone before me in the school systen- still aren't budging... ).

Anyway, please continue to post about your experiences. There are so many things that, as a 180-turn from where I started professionally and personally- are just new as far as teaching children in general.....

Thanks for your sweet posts,
Rachel

LA in Baltimore

What do you do the rest of the day?

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:26 pm

mtnmama wrote:The MFW Kindergarten lessons are supposed to last 1-1.5 hours. What do you do the rest of the day? This winter has been really hard for us as the weather has been really bad. I find myself looking at the clock at 2 or 3pm trying to figure out how to survive until my husband gets home at 5:30pm. I'd love any ideas on how to fill the rest of the day during the winter.
My Kindergarten days are past (sad and happy at the same time ;) ), but thought I'd throw out a few ideas:
1) bake
2) play a game together (inside or out)
3) take a walk
4) build a snowman, or for you warm weather people, take a swim
5) watch a video (so maybe you could do something you need to do?)
6) play music and dance
7) playdough type activities
8 ) build a fort with blankets
9) read a book together,....

I'm sure more people will be jumping in soon with ideas!

You've probably heard it before, but this stage won't last forever (REALLY!).
Before you know it, you will feel like you don't have enough time in the day to finish what you want to do and you'll look up from a math book and realize your husband has been home for 5 minutes already! :-)
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!

dhudson

Re: What do you do the rest of the day?

Unread post by dhudson » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:50 pm

We always had an hour and a half quiet time in their rooms. They would listen to books on tape or just play quietly in their rooms until I got them up. It helped save my sanity (which needed all the help it could get) and allowed me to have time to get everything else done.

I always had them help make dinner as well so that took some time.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

LA in Baltimore

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:18 pm

dhudson wrote:We always had an hour and a half quiet time in their rooms.
How did I EVER forget this one!
Nap Time for some, Quiet Time for the others!
One rule was always only one person to a room!
Aaah...I remember when...

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:32 pm

Yes, rest time here too. For about an hour or so after lunch. We just stopped doing that this year (second grade) and I miss it! I could use an hour of quiet time.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:19 am

Forgive me for being patronizing for just a second, but oh man, I *Wish* we still had days like this!!!!! Now that my older 3 are 13, 9, and 6, and all involved in pretty time-intensive extra curriculars, the "what do we do NOW?" question just never happens in my house. I wouldn't mind it now and again.

Okay, now, back to your question...

Like everybody else said - definitely have a rest time/room quiet time if you don't already.
Board games
Cook/bake together
Arts/crafts
Computer games
Let them help you organize something (a drawer in the kitchen, for example)
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

kanderson

Unread post by kanderson » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:31 pm

My little ones nap, my K-er and I read alot and he also practices piano (with headphones of course lol.) I know these days won't last forever I'm soaking up every minute of the quiet ;)
Kristin
married to dh since 2001
ds-9 ECC
dd-6 1st,
ds-4 MFW Pre-School/ Rod and Staff,
dd-2, into everything!
one in the arms of Jesus

http://wefruitfullymultiplied.blogspot.com/

Wendy B.

Unread post by Wendy B. » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:37 pm

We do all the above and I also have a crate that only get pulled out to play on days that we cannot get outdoors. Each day has its own crate so the novelty of only having those particular items keeps them pretty entertained.

I also help the kids learn a craft type activity that they can do to make gifts. Knotted fleece blankets is my youngest son's favorite at the moment.
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

finley3001

Unread post by finley3001 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:29 am

Great question!!!

I have 4 children- K, 4.5, 3.5, and 3.5 so right now we're just doing "school" with my K student. We've recently started doing a chore system that has been so helpful in teaching the kids responsibility but also occupying their time. We do chores right after breakfast and different chores again after lunch. Granted, the chores don't take all morning or afternoon but they do give the kids structured time that isn't school. I used the Managers of their Chores book from the Maxwells and love it! We also do a quiet time (the twins still nap) where the kids are in their rooms reading/listening to stories on CD.

Hope this helps!
-Cayce

Wife of 10 years to my best friend
Mom to 5 kids- Girl (7), Boy (6), Twin boys (5) and 6 months.
3rd year homeschooling-currently doing Adventures, MFW 1st (second time) and MFW K (3rd time) for 2011-2012