Choosing K - Making it fresh for 2nd or 3rd sibling

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
Susan on the Space Coast

Choosing K - Making it fresh for 2nd or 3rd sibling

Unread post by Susan on the Space Coast » Mon May 07, 2007 3:46 pm

I also did the MFWK 3 times through. But I don't think I ever did it exactly the same way twice.

Now that your up-coming K has been through the lessons, like the butterfly kit and the Bingo game, somehow make it "new' for her. Try to pick different books to share on Book Day. Challenge her to collect more flashcards than you during the games. Get frogs instead of butterflies to raise. My (third child) dd's badge was simply the letters, but I still had her trace or make her own badge.

If you feel she got the Biblical concepts that are tied to the Science, you could do the 1st grade program's. There are ways to combine K& 1st that include suggestions regarding the science and Bible. http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=191

I'm sure others on the board will give you other suggestions, too.
Susan
wife to Tim (22 yrs.), mommy to Emily (17, graduate), Daniel (15), and Megan (13)
Have taught MFWK through 1850-MT; High School

Kim in MI

Unread post by Kim in MI » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:17 am

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:26 pm

I am currently doing RtR, 1st & K with my kids (grades 5,3,1,K + 2 toddlers).

I have often told people that I have learned a lot in kindergarten - and this is my fourth time through in the last six years!

Julie in MN

Question about doing K again next year with youngest

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:08 am

spaldingclan wrote:We are having a great year with MFW K. My dd6 is the one officially in K, but her little sister (dd4) has been working the K program along with us. Now, dd4 is sounding out words, and learning to read using BOB books along with her big sister. She has also been writing her letters, and doing all of the other activities along with us. So...you can probably see where I'm going with this.

When we finish K, what do I do with dd4 who will be 5 by then? Do I repeat K with her? That was my original intention, but I didn't think she would be doing the entire K program with us this year. I thought she would just do the activities and just play the rest of the time, but nope. She has memorized all of the "Words to remember" right along with big sis. She is certainly not reading as well as dd6, and writing doesn't come quite as easily, but she gets it all done with no complaints and loves, loves, loves doing school.

Do, I repeat K with dd4 or have her move on to MFW1 with us when we finish up K? I definitely do not feel any pressure to rush either of my girls. I'm cuing off of them right now and so far that has been working great for all of us. Lord willing, we will be purchasing MFW1 curriculum in February and I'm just wondering what to do about dd4.

Thanks so much!
Kim
Kim,
I am clueless :) Just some thoughts from those who have gone ahead of you:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3737 [above]
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7771 Choosing 1st "again" vs. join older sibling
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=499 Choosing K/1 vs. just join older sibling (author response)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=642 How to teach Pre-K and K together
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=191 How to Teach K and 1st Grade Together
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=543 K -or- 1st - Help choosing for child who is reading (author response)

And then of course there is the Kindergarten Ideas board, where you might find some ways to mix it up a bit?

I'm pretty sure the Hazell family did K a lot of times with 6 kids :~ ;)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

jasntas

Re: Question about doing K again next year with youngest

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:49 am

Just a thought. What if your younger just repeated the phonics and math portion next year and followed along with older in the Bible, science and other fun activities in 1st. As Julie suggested, maybe you could mix it up a bit with the K phonics.

Here is a link to some ideas:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 179#p47744

Read Crystal's ideas. Then scroll down and read mine. You might find some ideas there as to how you might be able to 'mix it up' or even step it up a bit in some areas. HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

cefcdana

Unread post by cefcdana » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:37 pm

I'm in the same boat with my daughters who are 4 and 5. My 4 year old is doing well with K, not quite reading yet but on target with where we are in the program so far. Same story- I wasn't planning on her participating in all of the phonics and handwriting but she really wanted to and enjoys it.

I don't have my plans entirely solidified for next year but I will probably work on basic handwriting with her again next year as well as go over any math concepts she didn't master this year. I will most likely just plan on her participating in first grade- though with loose expectations. That's kind of like I did this year. I bought workbook pages for her in case she wanted to try to participate but didn't put any pressure on her to do them. She chose to do them on her own. I will probably do the same with first grade.

If she seems to be struggling and really not ready, then I will either repeat some of K phonics lessons or just find something to supplement with her in the meantime until she is ready for more. (I know a lot of MFWK people use Explode the Code to supplement). I'll have her participate in the 1st grade science and bible with us for sure. I'm looking forward to reading some the links provided to other forum posts to glean some wisdom and additional thoughts on the subject!

spaldingclan

Unread post by spaldingclan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:13 pm

That was kind of my thought as well. I just finished reading all of the links posted above and found them all to be very helpful. I definitely do not want to rush dd4. She will be 5 in July, but still, too young to officially be in first grade.

Right now I am leaning toward purchasing the K student materials again for her to use when I start MFW1 with dd6 and use those materials for phonics and math and writing. Then have her tag along with 1st grade in everything else. I think I will also look into Explode the Code though. I have never seen any of those materials so I don't know whether or not that would fit well with us.

Kim
Kim
**Stars of Grace Academy**
happily married to dh since 1995
mom to 3 outgoing daughters:
dd1 age 14: Freshman at PS
dd2 age 6 1/2: currently in MFW1, finished MFWK
dd3 age 5: currently in MFWK
http://thislittlehouseschool.blogspot.com

spaldingclan

MFW 1st grade ordered!

Unread post by spaldingclan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:08 pm

maritime momma wrote:@spaldingclan - congrats! I just ordered my preschool package so we are in the waiting game together! Yay!

@ Melissa - how old was your child when he/she started the K program?
@maritime momma - I just wanted to let you know that my soon to be first grader (Ava) was 5 1/2 when she started the K program (in September) and her little sister (Phia) (now 4 1/2) has been doing it with us all year. She's done quite well with it, but we are going to repeat Kinder with Phia while Ava is doing 1st. Sophia needs more time to master the K skills and I don't see any reason to move her ahead sooner. She is about where Ava was when she started K in September and she has spent the year refining her skills so that she is more than ready to move on to first grade now.

Looking back on it, I probably should have just done the preschool package with Sophia instead, but she really wanted to do school with Ava and already had a really good base of knowledge. I never thought she would do as much as she did of the K program!

Anyway, we have a few of the preschool materials here and we absolutely love them. Have fun!
Kim
**Stars of Grace Academy**
happily married to dh since 1995
mom to 3 outgoing daughters:
dd1 age 14: Freshman at PS
dd2 age 6 1/2: currently in MFW1, finished MFWK
dd3 age 5: currently in MFWK
http://thislittlehouseschool.blogspot.com

Julie in MN

ECC and what else for me? 3, 5, 7, 9yo

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:48 am

kidswife wrote:I've done K, 1st and am in Adv.

Right now I have my 8yo in Adv and my 6yo in 1st. What to do next year??

I'll do ECC for my oldest, but is my (then) 7yo ok to do ECC too?

And I've done K twice now. Please don't make me do it again so soon. I've got my 3y/o who will do it and I'd just rather not go through it 4 times. I had my now 5y/o do it with his older sister last school year anyway. And he'll get the info when I do it 2 years from now with his little sister....

So what to do for my 2nd-grader and my "old" Kinder boy next year? He, the pre-kinder boy, can read the R&S 1st grade reader okay, with help already. I really like the idea of just piling my 3 oldest together doing ECC, but is that really do-able??? ECC for a kinder, 2nd, and 4th grader?? And 3y/o in tow....

Thoughts, ideas?? Thanks as always
Hi Theresa,
LOL on making you do something 3 times in a row!

The thing is, each child needs language arts and math at his or her own level. So what to do with the 5yo next year? How about keep him at a preschool level, just joining in with the others on fun stuff and maybe doing some school-prep work with the preschool set or whatever you usually do for that? It still might mean you do K 4 times, but you'd have a break this coming year LOL... And since you've done K a couple of times, you'll probably know how to streamline it to just focus on what he needs -- reading and math skills which need to be built for each child, with a focus on their individual needs. Even those with twins are suggested to do language arts and math individually.

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MelissaB

Re: ECC and what else for me? 3, 5, 7, 9yo

Unread post by MelissaB » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:56 pm

Hi, Theresa,

I think letting your 5 year old continue preschool activities a little longer is a great idea, too. And if he wants to, he can join the older girls in ECC : listening to Windows on the World and Hero Tales during Bible time; coloring a coloring sheet for each country studied; in science, he can help spot animals in the Animal Search book, and he may enjoy Living World, too.

May I make a suggestion? The Complete Book of Animals is so wonderful. It's a very short read with 2 or 3 questions you can ask aloud at the end. I think your oldest three will really enjoy it.

One more tip: Don't skip out on the geography game. (!) If you're short on time, toss the worksheets, skip science, don't take a bath that day ... but don't neglect to do the geography game. (You'll be amazed at all they'll learn by the end of the year - and retain even years later.)

ECC is a great year! I know your girls will love it, and I bet your little man will enjoy a lot of it, too.

Have fun!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

4monkeyz

Re: ECC and what else for me? 3, 5, 7, 9yo

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:12 pm

I am planning on using ECC next fall with my 7 & 9 too!! :)

I don't have MFW K, boo, it sounds like so much fun. I considered buying it but I have various materials from my older two and the finances aren't available. Over the past few days I have been sorting through boxes and deciding what to keep...what my 5yo needs and what she might find interesting. She will be tagging along with ECC, so I bought her a sticker book and passport (as well as for my 4 yo). I didn't buy her the student workbook pages bcs. I found a K geography book from Evan-Moor in a box that has maps for her to color and I know I have flag coloring pages too. I might change my mind on that...Hm. Anyways. Side track thought there! I know my dd is wanting to learn how to read and showing signs of being ready, so I will be focusing on letters & sounds, I also have get ready/get set/go for the code for her. She adores workbooks. For basic math skills, I have Saxon K from my older two that I might work through with her. We do a calendar time as a family after Bible and she has joined in on the counting sticks and beans. I am finding it hard with my littles because they are learning things quicker than my older two...And some things I did with the older two I didn't like....or I loved...Sigh. My last two K'ers.

I guess what I am suggesting is that it is possible to tag along with ECC, not everything is going to be at your son's level, but he will enjoy being part of the group. If your 5 yo has already gone through K, maybe look to see where he's at reading wise and what he would need...more reading practice? more letter practice? Does he enjoy workbooks? Or more cutting/pasting? Overall, I tend to be a little less aggressive with the schooling with my littles, school isn't required in my state until age 7. ;) We do lots of reading, baking, building, cutting/gluing, occasional finger painting, etc. And we are finishing Adven. too!! We really enjoyed the stories and science projects and...well everything!! A good year for sure.

Does that help??? Sorry I sort of rambled all over the place there...
Andrea ~ Mother of four little monkeys (jumping on the bed!), Wife to one incredibly amazing man & a Daughter of the King.
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015