Cuisenaire Rods, Questions & Experiences

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
tangomoon

Re: Cuisenaire Rods Alphabet book question

Unread post by tangomoon » Fri May 20, 2011 2:02 pm

DD really enjoyed doing the rods with the alphabet book.

Erna

Re: Cuisenaire Rods Alphabet book question

Unread post by Erna » Fri May 20, 2011 4:51 pm

My oldest didn't care for the Cuisenaire Rods book but liked making her own creation with the blocks.

My second daughter really likes it and I can see her using it a lot. She's more hands-on and enjoys the challenge of fitting things into their spaces.

Cyndi (AZ)

Cuisenaire Rods and Book Question

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:40 am

GLPerky wrote:Can someone tell me about the book that goes with the cuisenaire rods? I don't usually purchase books that I can't see the activities in and I can't find any example pages online. Also, are the activities for this book planned in the guide or is it something you just schedule on your own? Thanks for the help.
I don't know if they are scheduled in the new edition? Most of us just added them as a Day 6 thing. You may be able to google the book and see an example of the pages.

The rods and the alphabet book are an awesome addition to MFWK and truly help build math skills. Here's a link with some more info on that - I'm a little short on time this morning.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3777
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Julie in MN

Re: Cuisenaire Rods and Book Question

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:52 pm

My grandson is doing K now (afterschooling), so I can tell what I know.

The Cuisinaire book has a 2-page layout for each alphabet letter. So when we are studying h-h-horse, he can do the "H" pages in the Cuisinaire book.

That is on the grid now, in 2nd edition K. If you scroll down to the sample K grid (pages 20-21), you will see the pages assigned on day 6:
http://www.mfwbooks.com/downloads/pdfs/ ... s/k_TM.pdf

If you are wondering what is actually on the pages, you can look more closely at the book cover on the website here (it will get larger if you click on it):
http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/20/0/0/1
Now, the cover is in color while the pages are black-and-white; however, these are the types of shapes that the student may be trying to create with the rods for the letter "H" -- hammer, house, and the letter H.

Does that help?
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

GLPerky

Unread post by GLPerky » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:08 pm

Yes, Julie that does help. Thank you.

Cyndi, you're answer and link was very helpful too. Thank you.

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:58 pm

I remember also that there were a few pages of ideas at the beginning (or at least I think I remember that :~ ) and on at least one page of the two-page spread for each letter there was one of more problems to solve (make it with just green rods, use just three colors, etc) and follow up questions (how many green rods did it take, which color were the fewest rods used) that can help guide the activities a bit. I liked having these suggestions and it was fun to watch her solve the problems. There were lines on which to write the answers, but if you are planning on using the book for a subsequent student you could put it in a page protector and have them write in dry erase marker. Actually, tearing out the pages and putting the one being used in a page protector is a good idea anyway!

We enjoyed the book but often forgot to schedule it... it is nice that it is included in the schedule for the new edition of K!

About the text in the front... I very well may be mixing up the Cuisenaire Rods book with the shapes book used in First... :~
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:21 pm

Yodergoat wrote:There were lines on which to write the answers, but if you are planning on using the book for a subsequent student you could put it in a page protector and have them write in dry erase marker. Actually, tearing out the pages and putting the one being used in a page protector is a good idea anyway!
This is what we did with our Cuisenaire books...I separated all the pages, placed them in sheet protectors, and slid the covers in the "clear view" binders. They fit in a small, I think 1/2" binder. I have found several other Cuisenaire books on used sites & 1/2 price books so I have gotten great use out of my rods. I even found a book that was helpful for understanding fractions when my ds was in 4th. (For instance, an item would be build out of 3 greens, remove 1 rod, which is to take 1/3 away & left 2/3 of the total.) I have enjoyed them and gotten more use out of them well beyond K because of this. My 8 & 12 yr old use them & I let me 4 yr old pre-k kiddo I watch use the books & rods too. He uses the one that came with MFW mostly - but he'll work into the rest.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

wsterk

Unread post by wsterk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Just this afternoon I was trying to find out the same thing about the book. Amazon usually has pages of books that can be viewed but not this time. I did find a PDF file that gave me a good peek inside the book.
http://www.lwsd.org/school/wilder/PTSA/ ... 20Book.pdf

Hopefully that works and I am assuming it's the same book.

[Editor's Note: This is not the exact same book, but it can give you a good idea. Also note that the school may not have copyright permission for others to print this material outside of its classroom.]

GLPerky

Unread post by GLPerky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:33 pm

wsterk wrote:Just this afternoon I was trying to find out the same thing about the book. Amazon usually has pages of books that can be viewed but not this time. I did find a PDF file that gave me a good peek inside the book.

http://www.lwsd.org/school/wilder/PTSA/ ... 20Book.pdf

Hopefully that works and I am assuming it's the same book.

Wow, thanks for that link. That really helped. I usually look at pages at CBD or Rainbow Resource, but never of them had this book. Thank you again. Looks like fun.