Schedule - Describe the Kindergarten day for me

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
cbollin

Schedule - Describe the Kindergarten day for me

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:53 am

A couple of things about the 6 day units in MFW K. It is not expected that you do school Mon-Sat in K. Instead, each of those alphabet related unit studies has 6 days worth of material. You don't start a new letter unit every Monday.

The 6th day of each unit is intended to be a lighter day at the end of the unit to do something a little different than the rest of the routine. It is also an easy day to add in some books from K deluxe package. For example, on the 6th day of the unit you can remember to do the Music CD, and then one or two pages from the Alphabet Puzzle book (Cuisenaire book). whatever letter you are working on, just use that letter from that book. the instructions for the Cuisenaire book are on the pages of that book. The Music CD comes with an activity sheet to give you some active ideas of what to do while listening to the music. There are 15 songs on it. I did one song per time that we listened and then the next time went to the next song. Then we repeated the songs later in the year.

Although you can blend the 6th day into the other days of your routine, I'd like to recommend that you not do that. There are 166 scheduled days in MFW K and that includes the Literature Fun day with each unit. Enjoy it!

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:36 pm

I just wanted to make sure you also looked a bit through the sample lesson
http://www.mfwbooks.com/k_sample.htm

The details are explained for each of the activities and routines in the teacher's manual. But I think from the samples you can see that most of the program is active.

the 6th day of each unit is a little different flavor from the other days. Before doing the activities you have a book to read that is related to what you have been learning then you have some activities with the story. Then you are encouraged to enjoy outside time with creation.

-crystal

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:04 am

You will also be happy to know that K is only takes 1-1 1/2 hours a day so I do not think even with a 3 years old that you will trouble finishing in the time that you have a lotted. This is the amount of structured learning in the K program. The rest of the time is can be spent on learning chores, cooking with mom, playing in and outside, field trips, play date, etc.

Just thought I would add that little bit.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:32 am

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:07 pm

I'm up for it -- this is keeping me from cleaning house on a snowy afternoon. I hope this doesn't infringe on a copyright!!

Everyday in K, you add a number to the 100 Chart and discuss the calendar in some way. Then you count out the number of the day in items and learn bundling in tens. There is a reading plan with worksheets and activities for each day, 1-5, of each unit. Sometimes you color, or choose a picture that has the letter sound, or cut and paste, etc. Two days a week, you use the blend ladder to learn how to sound out syllables. There are also fun games on some days.

Then you go over the topic of the unit in a unique way. For sun --

Day 1 -
Present encyclopedia info re: sun
Read Gen 1:14-19
Walk in the dark/walk in light, compare

Day 2 -
Make raisins, keep a chart
Read Bible verses, discuss

Day 3 -
Paint a yellow sun with colored rays
Make a sun-shaped badge

Day 4 -
Make a sundial, use throughout day, discuss clock

Day 5 -
Use a globe and flashlight to demonstrate sun

Day 6 -
Read library book & poem and act out, etc.

additional activities:
Make a weather chart for the week
Make sun tea
Make a noodle art picture

Each unit focusses on a character trait that goes along with the science topic, as well. It is wonderful. Daily lessons take about an hour. Going through all this makes me really miss MFWK . . . . we loved it so much . . . .

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri May 02, 2008 12:18 am

mamato2 wrote:I guess what I'm asking is - how "open and go" is the curriculum? :) Thanks!
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:59 am

How "open and go" is the curriculum? I don’t think the manual is “open and go” the way you would hand something to a substitute teacher in a classroom to just “open and go”.

When I hear the phrase “open and go” I think more of the upper years of MFW’s manual, and not the K manual. Just a different perspective on the meaning on that phrase and I don’t want you to get shocked at the manual if you think and organize the way I do. I had done ECC before doing K and the K manual surprised me.

Let me guide you through the manual even though it is not in front of you to look at. Without the manual in front of you, it might be confusing. So I’ll keep it simple.

The manual is organized into sections.

The first section is the introduction section for the teacher. Please be sure to read that. You’ll find a checklist of supplies you need for the whole year. Those kinds of things will not be repeated in each and every lesson. It is stuff like glue, paper, pencils – that kind of thing. You’ll find general information about the program too. So, open it and go to the store. It’s very easy to shop from the manual.

Next section is a stand alone 10 day unit study on Creation, and an introduction to having structured school.

Then you reach the main section of the program – the 26 unit studies that integrate phonics/literature/science/Bible. On each of the days of those units you follow a 3 step routine: math, phonics, science.
  • The first part is the daily math routine. Put a paperclip on that page. So it is easy to find each day until the routine is established in your mind.

The next part is the yellow sheets. That’s the phonics section. It lists on each day exactly what to do. Don’t skip the steps. It tells you what to do. Get another paperclip to move along on each day to make it quick to find what you need to do the next day so it is pick up and go. Those lessons are the same routine on each day of the unit. It will make sense when you do it even if my brief description makes no sense.

The last part is the Science/Character pages. There is an introductory page at the beginning to give you the overall goal of each day of the science section routine. Then the lessons start. Again, it lists out what to do on each day. You will need to look through the lessons to see if there are extra supplies you might need to put on your grocery list. And yes, one more paperclip
I just wanted to share my perspective on the pick up and go idea. You don’t need to do any lesson planning, but you do need a few minutes to prepare yourself for teaching. By a few minutes, I mean 5-10 minutes each week, plus library time for book pick up.

-crystal

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:09 am

JohnsWife wrote:I just got my package from MFW. I got K and 1 both deluxe sets. Can someone walk me through what your MFWK and MFW1 is supposed to be like. Step by step? I really need to understand completely about the structure and how an 'ideal' schedule would appear before I can relax.
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:05 pm

Basically it is like this:
the typical routine for the K program goes like this and you can follow along in your copy of the K manual.

The first 10 days are a unit study on creation and intro to school routines. It has its own routine. It is organized around the 8 steps that you do on each of the 10 days of this unit. Each of those days has its own readings for each of those steps. That’s why it will say Step 1, Day 1. And so on.

At the end of those 10 days, the alphabet themed units begin. Each of those units has 6 days of material.

For 5 out of the 6 days of each of those letter unit studies you do three main Steps (this is described on page 12 of my manual in the section called Lesson Information
1. Math (100 chart, calendar)
2. the "reading plan" (i.e. the yellow pages)
3. the Science/activities plan.

Each 6th day when it looks more like this:
1. math (same as above)
2. literature day -- for which the instructions are in the same place as the science activities. There are questions to discuss about the stories, and sometimes some other ideas and such of what to do. ( In other words, there are no yellow pages to do on the 6th day of each unit.)
3. optional to do extras from deluxe package (music and cuisenaire book)

Now turn to the first of the yellow pages:
You’ll see that on each Day 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, there are specific routine instructions to follow. It is laid out what to do.

Now turn to the Science section at the end of the yellow pages. You’ll see that each day of the unit is broken down.

I used a paperclip to mark the sections of the book.

If that doesn’t make sense, try this:

Letter S, Day 1
Do your math
Do the Day 1 activities in the yellow pages
Do the Day 1 activities in the white Activity guide pages
Letter S, Day 2
Do your math
Do the day 2 yellow pages
Do the day 2 white activity pages.
Etc.

I had the same expectations as you had with the K manual. I had used ECC the year before and thought it would be exactly the same thing. I was thrown off by it too. <grin> But it didn't take much time to click with the different routine.

The weekly grid format that covers 7-10 subjects doesn’t begin until Adventures. Julie said it well by saying that it is easier to print routines in the front of the manual and refer to them. http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=2707
That explains the K format a bit.

-crystal

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:10 am

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:14 pm

Very quick comment -- get some small post-its or post-it flags (I think Crystal used paper clips) to mark pages in your TM's. Things to mark in K are
--the Day of the Reading Plan that you're on
--and the Unit that you're on.

It helped me to jot down a daily routine in each unit on the Your Notes and Ideas section at the end of each lesson by writing the order of the day for each day in the lesson. It would be easy to make something and post it up on your wall, but you'll just have to play with it all for awhile and do what works for you. You do get used to the routine after a bit.

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:14 am

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:08 pm

I had done MFW1 first (day by day scheduling), and when I got the MFWK TM, I called my sister & said, "Huh?!" She very gently said, "Paige, just get a couple of paper clips..."

Yeah, that pretty much solved it for me. But definitely keep asking if you have more questions. MFWK is AWESOME!!!!

cbollin

Intro and Questions!

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:40 am

Ellechim wrote:Is there a specific order in which I should be doing things each day? Like, is math supposed to come first, or does it matter? A friend who is doing MFW 1st said that there is an order to hers, but I don't really see one in mine, unless I'm missing something.
I prefer to start with the math things.
Then try to move to the phonics section (yellow pages)
then the activities time.

You can use a paperclip or sticky note (post it note or whatever) to mark the three main sections of the manual. (math, phonics, activities).

The set up of the manual is that way to allow you to look at the phonics routines and instructions easily. I ended up writing index cards for each day's routine in phonics and only refer back for detailed instructions when needed. The index cards I keep in a folder with the student worksheets. I had multi colored index cards so I used a different color for each day. I guess I could have taped them on the wall or something. But the routines and instructions will get more familiar as you go along.

-crystal

wisdomschool

Unread post by wisdomschool » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:51 am

Hi Michelle,

I have four children(2 boys & 2 girls) too! Mine are ds 7 1/2, dd 5 1/2, dd 4, and ds 2. We are also on day 2 of the Moon lesson in K with dd's 5 1/2 & 4! This is our second time going through MFW K.

We have always done the math things(calendar, 100 chart, straw cup) first, then the reading plan(yellow pages), and then the activity pages.

I agree that it does feel like your flipping around at first, but you will get the hang of it soon(or figure out a way that suits you better by making cards or something like Crystal mentioned).

Welcome along to MFW! We are glad you're here :) Feel free to keep asking any question. Blessings on your journey,

Debbie, Momma2
K=ds 7 1/2
A=dd 5 1/2
C=dd 4
T=ds 2

kanderson

Schedule - Ideas for scheduling the Kindergarten day

Unread post by kanderson » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:47 pm

Hello! I need some advice on what order to do daily activities for MFWK. I've tried changing it up a bit however, we cannot seem to get into a good flow. Currently we go in this order:

Prayer
Calendar
Science Topic
Phonics
100 chart
Math (Cuisenaire rods, etc.)

Just wondering if anyone knows the best way to do this (i.e - phonics first because of the letter sound, or science topic w/ flashcard first for the letter.....)

Thanks!
~Kristin
Kristin
married to dh since 2001
ds-9 ECC
dd-6 1st,
ds-4 MFW Pre-School/ Rod and Staff,
dd-2, into everything!
one in the arms of Jesus

http://wefruitfullymultiplied.blogspot.com/

Amy in NC

Re: Kindergarten schedule

Unread post by Amy in NC » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Kristin,

Our schedule is Calendar & 100 Chart, Phonics, then Activity/Science. Occasionally it gets switched up, and we do Cuisennaire rods and Classical Music on Day 6 Book Day. Then she sometimes joins in on RTR science, or other topics that interest her.

HTH

Amy
Married to ♥
Rob♥ for 18 yrs
dd(11.5), dd(10), dd(6), and ds(3.5)
Completed Kx2, 1st, Adv, ECC, CTG, & RTR

wisdomschool

Unread post by wisdomschool » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:25 pm

We aren't doing much of the science/Bible/Activity stuff this year as my "now" kindergartener did all that last year with her big sister(she was 4 then and didn't do the reading/writing/math parts of A-Z) so I may not be much help.....

We do calendar and 100 chart/straw cup as part of our morning routine(after breakfast), then we usually do the "paper work" part when older siblings are also doing seat work (phonics/spelling/writing etc...)

I don't know if you have other children/older children or not, but I am going to try having everyone do the same "subject"(i.e. math time--everyone does math) at the same time(schooling 3 plus a 3 y.o. and 4 m.o.)it isn't working very well for me right now to try to do each person's whole "school day" start to finish and then the next persons etc...

We are currently using A-Z, Ist and Adventures. Not sure if I helped, but I do hope you find what works for you and your family--getting suggetions can really start giving you good ideas!

Blessings,
Momma & Teacher to my super seven:

Kanen-6th
Abia-4th
Charis-3rd
Tobias-1st
Elijah-3 y.o.
Micah-2 y.o.
Eden-3 mo.

OtterMommy

Unread post by OtterMommy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:35 pm

Our schedule is:
Bible Reading (our own personal book)
Reading activity (reading, activities, etc. since the girls (3 and 18 months join us)
Table time (youngest on a blanket to play; 3 year old at table, too)
Calendar
100's chart
Independent Work (my 3-yr. old loves workbooks, so she does some while my son does MFW)

This works well for us right now... I love other people's ideas, so I assume everyone wants my input, too!

~Jennifer
Wife to the best
Mom to ds (6), dd (5), dd (3), and ds (4 months)
MFW K and 1st

baileymom

Kindergarten - Loose or tight schedule, which is best?

Unread post by baileymom » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:22 am

samandsawyersmom wrote:What is best??? I have a boy who will just be 5yrs old. kindergarten all yr on loose schedule or keep it tight and do it everyday? Right now till I find a job we can be flexable. Thanks! :)

Stacey

And I know every family is different just looking to gather some info to better make decision. :-)
I think it's easy to be "loose" with K at the beginning, but once you get a little further along, and start building on the phonics skills, I feel it needs to be pretty consistent.

**We also waited until our son was (just turned) 6 to start, and we have not hit many bumps in the road at all. I wish I had waited a little longer to start both of my girls, who were 5.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

jasntas

Re: Kindergarten

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:34 am

What I did last summer was start K with my dd 2 days a week. Then when school 'officially' began in August, we started full swing and went to every week day. We used Fridays as our light days and I had her do very little on that day. Some find having their light day the middle of the week works better to break it up for the child. My dd would occasionally complain, especially on Mondays when she had to get into the swing of things again but, for the most part, she loves school.

I would suggest you move at the child's pace. You could start with 2 or 3 days a week and see how it goes. If he is ok with it and you think he could handle every day, try it. If he doesn't seem to respond well, back off. But I would get into a routine before making the final decision on that. In other words do it for about 2 weeks or so before making that decision. It will take a little bit for him to get use to school.

Oh, and MFW K has less days scheduled than the other years, so even if you do it on a lighter schedule you could still finish by the end of the school year without having to continue into next summer. You could look at your calendar and figure out what could work for you to accomplish this and try that schedule.

Just one opinion. :)

P.S. Kathi had a good point on the age. I forgot to add, my dd was a full 5 1/2 when she started K and was letting me know she was ready for school.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:10 am

Doing MFWK on 3 days per week will finish a unit in 2 weeks, since they are 6-day units. I would still recommend waiting, however. My dd was reading really well and knew addition facts when we started MFWK, but I still think it would have been better if we had waited. I don't know if I could have held her back at that age, but if I had it to do over, I would have called MFWK "pre-school" and kept up with the grades from there. As it was, she called herself a K'er and went into that level at church. Not a big deal until 2nd grade, when I really didn't want my dd in the same class with public-schooled 2nd graders. I know that sounds judgemental, but I can't think of another way to say it. We are now saying that she is doing 3rd grade over 2 years. It's just something to think about. If you do MFWK lightly, what "grade" is your ds going to say to people that ask? (And they all ask.)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

samandsawyersmom

Unread post by samandsawyersmom » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:15 pm

Thanks for all the info!!
We are new to hsing and I am REALLY EXCITED to get started!! Which of course is part of the problem! :~ My son dosen't turn 5 until the end of Sept. so I am holding off till then at least! He asks to do school about everyother day because I have purchased a bunch of pre-school and K workbooks for him to work with pre deciding what curriculum we were going to use. He knows his letters, numbers (even reconizing 2 digit numbers), letter sounds, etc. but he would not be going into public K until 2011. I don't know? :~ We are just both so excited!!!!!!! I know tho I just need to let him be a kid!!! Maybe do it 3 days a week? Sorry for the rambling I just . . . Well, you all know!!! ;) Thanks again

Stacey
Wife to my wonderful husband 8yrs
Mom to 2 wonderful sons 6yrs and 4yrs
2012 pre-school and MFW 1st
2011 K

erikdeb

Unread post by erikdeb » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:33 pm

With my 2 "younger" beginners, we started while they were still 4, and took it slow - mostly just as they wanted to - and K was great! We went so slow with the first that I did scrunch it up at the end to get done, when he turned 6.

At my house, slow and not steady has been great for K. ;) (stresses mom out less, too)

Deb
Deb, Mom to Isaac-8, Noah-6, Lydia-4, Micah-3, Simon-1
Once through MFW K, 1st, and ADV
2010-2011, MFW K and ECC

Poohbee

A typical day in MFW-K

Unread post by Poohbee » Mon May 23, 2011 10:32 pm

kimber79 wrote:After looking through the TM for kinder I noticed that it states the lessons should take around 60-90 minutes per day. I'm wondering how that time is filled and what it looks like based upon the lessons, projects, readings, etc. that are planned. Do you all set aside a chunk of time or split it up throughout the day? Right now, for preschool, my son will sit for short chunks of time. If I add it all up, it may take an hour total but maybe not. Just trying to figure out how to structure our day a bit if anyone can share what they've done. Thanks!
Kim
Hi Kim!
We are doing K (for the 2nd time) and ECC at our house this year. Actually, this is our last week of school for the year before we take our summer break. This is how it goes at our house.

We start the day with Bible time (from ECC) together. Then, my 4th grader works on independent work while I work with my kindergartener. Our K work begins with calendar and 100 chart (and later in the year, coin cup). Then I work through the day's work in the yellow pages of the TM (the "Reading Plan" section, which also contains the math). Then we go on to the "Activity Guides" for the theme that week and do the day's work for that, which may be an art project, science experiment, etc. Finally, I read aloud to my dd. I always check out enough books from the library so that I have at least one and often two books to read each day for each theme. All in all, it takes us about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to do the K work, just as the TM says.

For me, since I have an older child to work with, too, and a toddler running around, I try to get all of the K work done right away after Bible. Then, my kindergartener is free to go and play while I work with my 4th grader on the rest of her work for the day. My kindergartener sometimes joins us later in the day for art projects or science experiments in ECC, but for the most part, we do the K work in one chunk rather than breaking it up. That's just how it works well for us.

I know that some people have commented that they don't care for the layout of the K TM and that it is sometimes difficult to use. I have never had a problem with using the K TM. You really get into a rhythm with the lessons after doing it for a couple of weeks. Do calendar and 100 chart, do Day 1 in the Yellow (Reading) pages, and do Day 1 for the theme activity. Then, the next day, do it all again, but for Day 2. It doesn't take long for you to get used to it, and I don't find it confusing or challenging at all. I just keep a clip on the page we're on in the yellow pages and a clip on the page we're on for the theme activities (white pages), and I just go back and forth between those clipped pages.

MFW K is so much fun! It is such a great year, and my dd has learned so much! I hope you enjoy it as much as we have!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

cbollin

Re: A typical day in MFW-K

Unread post by cbollin » Tue May 24, 2011 6:21 am

My children never took much time for several reasons: their personal attention spans weren't that long, and we worked faster. So for my kiddos, it was broken up over the day in about 10-15 segments. math never took us 15 minutes in K. It was part of my autistic child's morning wake up routines with calendar and changing the daily calendar, the sticks for placevalue and practice with dry erase markers for writing.

Make sure you don't do too much of the work for your child -- make them do the cutting unless your child's occupational therapist says that is impossible at this point. That will take some of the time. Make them do the clean up from activities. involve them in the set up. Review as needed. And also include things like amount of time that you read out loud to your child as part of the overall day.

and my coffee is ready.... I'm so far beyond those days, I can't accurately remember....

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue May 24, 2011 8:54 am

Here are some more misc. thoughts on how long the K day is:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2612

...and what the K day is like:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4289
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7348

as well as what to do the rest of the day:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3251
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Tue May 24, 2011 9:16 am

A typical day, last fall, when I was doing MFWK & 1 (for some reason this stands out the most for K) was the following:

Bible first in the living room - at this time I would read any Bible from K if there was any, and also go over the weekly memory work (character trait).
Table next - starting with calendar, 100 chart, and popsicle sticks (bundles of 10).
Table still - Whatever Reading worksheets we had, blend ladder, Lauri letters, yellow pages, etc. Later in the year he would break from the table to read to me on the couch.
Break - worked on 1st with ds7.
Activities were usually after lunch, and varied from day to day with K & 1st. Reading books aloud were after lunch as well.

This schedule is actually very similar to what we were doing until we started our summer break last week.

meljen

Unread post by meljen » Tue May 24, 2011 11:23 am

I like the idea of doing the 'activities' after lunch. I often try to fit all of our MFW K and 1st in between breakfast and lunch, and it feels really rushed sometimes...especially when our DD has her heavier copywork days. She is slower with longer writing work, and I don't like rushing her through it!

Thank you all for linking other posts here, I found them to be really informative. I hopped in here today for some inspiration, and this definitely did it. ;-)

Mel
DD 7, DS 5
Using MFW K & 1st for the first time (2011)

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Tue May 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Poohbee wrote:For me, since I have an older child to work with, too, and a toddler running around, I try to get all of the K work done right away after Bible. Then, my kindergartener is free to go and play while I work with my 4th grader on the rest of her work for the day. My kindergartener sometimes joins us later in the day for art projects or science experiments in ECC, but for the most part, we do the K work in one chunk rather than breaking it up. That's just how it works well for us.
I'd like to "ditto" everything Jen said - I wish I could, LOL. No, seriously - on really good days, it worked just as she described. (Our kids are the same ages and in the same programs. Well, my little one isn't quite 2 yet, but close.) Unfortunately, my toddler really has a problem with us having school - haha - so, we had to break it up into segments a lot, with the 2 older kids taking turns with entertaining the baby.

Ideally, I would get K done all in one chunk though, because my 6yo (boy) really seems to work better that way. Once his attention has shifted to something else, it's hard to get him back to business. (We finished last week, and are thoroughly enjoying our first week of summer break. :) )

I say...give it some time and work it however it works best for you. It's not difficult or time consuming, but it's okay to shift things around as needed for your family.

:)
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2