4 year olds & early 5's - Start K slowly or wait?

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
Jessie410

Re: What to do with a 4yo who wants to learn to read?

Unread post by Jessie410 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:34 pm

mothermayi wrote:When will he turn 5?
Is he ready to begin math, writing, science, etc?
He just turned 4 on the 4th so not for another year. I plan on starting Kindergarten after Labor Day next year. I know he would enjoy science but as far as handwriting and math I don't know that he is as ready for that, at least not any more than very introductory. We have worked on handwriting some and he gets frustrated so I don't want to push it as this point. He likes making the letter O but that's about it lol. I was looking at The Reading Lesson Book and thinking that might be a nice thing to start with.

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:20 pm

I would teach him using the flashcards in MFWK and sing the song. A,a, Apple, b,b, butterfly and continue to work on the sounds of the letters. Make it a game. Don't push it but if he is asking have him take baby steps. Not a full program just the sounds.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:59 pm

Agree w/ the other moms. He'll do great. Just keep it light and fun. :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:17 pm

Jessie410 wrote:He just turned 4 on the 4th so not for another year. I plan on starting Kindergarten after Labor Day next year. I know he would enjoy science but as far as handwriting and math I don't know that he is as ready for that, at least not any more than very introductory. We have worked on handwriting some and he gets frustrated so I don't want to push it as this point. He likes making the letter O but that's about it lol. I was looking at The Reading Lesson Book and thinking that might be a nice thing to start with.
I like your idea of waiting. I know some parts of K will be fine, so that's certainly an option to start now and go lightly. At least he'd get a flavor of what learning to read really involves, which he probably doesn't understand yet. But in general I think school is more exciting when it is all new at age 5 or 6, and my bias is that kids are less likely to learn by memorizing at that age (I had an early memorizer and it's a hard habit to break).

Here is an old post from Marie Hazell and some others who chimed in, just so you can explore that side of the coin: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=427
Lucy chimes in here, and there are some other good posts with ideas:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5681
And some more good ideas here:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2064
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8844
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11042

Okay, I'll stop now :)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

mothermayi

Unread post by mothermayi » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:24 am

I have The Reading Lesson and my daughter enjoys it. We are beginning lesson 10 and she is reading. It isn't hands on or multi sensory like MFW K. However, it gets the job done for a fairly low cost. The lessons in The Reading Lesson are short and there isn't a lot of page clutter like some other books. My 5 year old daughter began learning to read toward her fourth birthday bc she was interested, much like your kiddo.

I would hesitate to go with K since he isn't quite ready. However, u might like MFW PreK3-5 program. The toys are fun and the cards give you lots of ideas on teaching letter sounds, as well as other early childhood skills. My dd3 loves it and she now knows how to spell her name and the sounds of letters M, A and B, and working on C this week.
Returning to MFW for 2015!! :-)
ds13 (8th)--MFW EX1850, EG, WWS, PP Guides, TT 2.0 Pre-Algebra
ds11.5 (7th)--MFW EX1850, AOG, WWS, PP Guides, Singapore 5B-6B
dd7 (2nd)--MFW EX1850, LLFT2, Miquon, AAS1
dd5--MFW K

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:59 pm

Jessie410 wrote:I am planning on starting my son with the K program next year when he'll be 5 and have been working with him lightly on some more pre-school-ish stuff lately. However, he has been asking me when he gets to learn to read. When we read books together all he wants to do is talk about letters and will get frustrated with me if I'm busy and can't read him something because, as he says, he "doesn't know how to read right yet". So my question is, is it too early to begin a slightly more formal reading program? I say formal because I am terrible at putting anything together myself, especially with a daunting task like teaching to read, but I definitely don't want something intense. Are there any programs out there that are a super slow/gentle intro appropriate for an eager/bright 4yo? I love the look of MFW K because the phonics portion looks so simple and sweet for a beginner, but is it too early for that? I guess I wonder if I should go ahead and get the K program here in the next few months and just see how he does with it, unless there is another curriculum out there that would be even more gentle/introductory than MFW K.
My oldest never ended up having K phonics because by the time he reached K he had figured out reading since he wanted to read. It would have helped with spelling I think if he had gone through something like MFWK!

Honestly, I have told my DH that I wish I had known about MFWK when he was 4. It was around his 4th Birthday when he started to read some on his own. He was ready to read and it would have been a perfect introduction for both of us to home schooling curriculum. We could have gone slowly, taken our time, and really enjoyed the process. I think it would have been fun, and he would have gone through K phonics.

So my 2 cents would be go ahead and start, but take it slow. If he resists stop and start later. Maybe 2 or 3 days a week for 'fun phonics learning'.

Mine was ready to read at that age too, and if you don't do it he may just figure it out on his own. :)

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:13 pm

dhudson wrote:I would teach him using the flashcards in MFWK and sing the song. A,a, Apple, b,b, butterfly and continue to work on the sounds of the letters. Make it a game. Don't push it but if he is asking have him take baby steps. Not a full program just the sounds.
I think if you plan to do mfw k and can afford to purchase it early, you could do just the simpler activities for teaching the letter names and sounds. Look through days 1-5 and you could see what you think he could do. Then when you start k, you probably can omit some of the easier stuff. For example you can do the salt tray and maybe the day 1 picture card activities, use the lauri textured alphabet letters for the letter sound activities, play go ABC go fish & bingo, sing the alphabet song and test to see which ones he recognizes, and the A-a-Apple song with flash cards.

I've thought of doing this with my pre-k'er myself :)
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

Joyhomeschool

Starting K at a younger age?

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Meamommy wrote:Hi! We used MFW K program a few years ago with my middle son and loved it. I was planning on using it again with my daughter next year. However, I am considering getting it for her to start THIS fall instead. She is only 3.5 now, will be 4 this fall.

I am all for letting them learn through play, not pushing them etc. BUT she is a totally different child than my boys were. They both started K around age 5, but she is doing the things now that they were then. We have done all of the puzzles, etc. in the Preschool packages plus more. She loves worksheets and workbooks, we have gone through the preschool rod and staff workbooks, lots of Kumon preschool workbooks etc.

Any ideas on starting this early? Has anyone else used it at this young of an age? I would of course not push at all, I thought we could sort of plan on doing one weeks worth of work in two weeks, space it out for her, etc. Of course if she seemed overwhelmed we could sit it aside for a few months as well. Hopefully some of you have been there done that and can give some insight! :) Thanks so much!
I did K with my now 5 year old when she was 4.5 and very eager to learn. My only thing is that small motor skills wise she has struggled and she also felt stretched a bit, which has all turned out fine because I slowed her down a bit when K got frustrating to her.

So my advise is to wait at least till she's 4.5 or even of you can wait till she's 5. Better her do well then for her to be frustrated.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

Erna

Re: Starting K at a younger age?

Unread post by Erna » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:29 am

I did K with a little one that turned 4 in October quite a few years ago. My daughter did very well with K even though she was young. She was ready. She sailed through 1st and ADV with no problem too. We ended up slowing down when we hit ECC as the work load was too much for her. We did it over two years instead. I have no regrets as my daughter was ready to sail ahead.

Having said that, my other two children wouldn't have been able to do K early. I think it really depends on the child. My oldest wouldn't have been challenged if we started later than we did. I believe you know your daughter and what she can handle best. K is doable with a younger student but I know not everyone advises it.

mothermayi

Re: Starting K at a younger age?

Unread post by mothermayi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:32 am

Postby mothermayi » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:54 am
My daughter used K at 5yr 4mo and it would have been better if I'd used it for preschool because I had to supplement too much for her as a kindergartener (handwriting/copywork, math, phonics/reading). She is my eager learner that began reading at 3 because she wanted to learn. My next daughter probably won't be ready for it at 4 so I plan to wait until 4.5 to reassess. If your daughter is ready, I would try it. If she needs to slow down, then by all means :-). I would simply follow her lead. :-)
Returning to MFW for 2015!! :-)
ds13 (8th)--MFW EX1850, EG, WWS, PP Guides, TT 2.0 Pre-Algebra
ds11.5 (7th)--MFW EX1850, AOG, WWS, PP Guides, Singapore 5B-6B
dd7 (2nd)--MFW EX1850, LLFT2, Miquon, AAS1
dd5--MFW K

baileymom

using MFW Kindergarten for mature 4 year old?

Unread post by baileymom » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:20 pm

Chapsie wrote:I am going to be a first time homeschooling mom for the next school year. I was so anxious about it until I discovered MFW and now I am very excited and have total peace that this is right for our family.

I have a 5 year old boy (will be 6 in August) who is currently in public kindergarten. I plan to use your first grade curriculum with him for next year.

I also have a 3 year old girl who will be turning 4 in June. I have read some reviews that said MFW kindergarten works well for mature 4 year olds. She is currently in a preschool class. In your opinions, would you think that your kindergarten curriculum would be well suited for a 4 year old while also teaching 1st grade? I guess I am thinking more long term-- if I bump her ahead this year, will we be always feeling behind in older grades? Is it easier to teach K and 1st in the same year or K and adventures? I don't think the preschool kit will hold her attention enough; she will want to "do school" like her brother. (We also have a one year old who will be in the "curious toddler" stage next year so I don't want to take on too much for my first year of homeschool).

Thanks!
Even though she is a girl ... I would think she would be very young for Kindergarten.

I also think that teaching 2 programs would be a little overwhelming with it being your first year homeschooling. I would worry that getting used to all of it might take away from the 'special-ness' that can be Kindergarten.

... have you considered getting her a few preschool workbooks (we love SchoolZone)? My toddlers/preschoolers have always wanted to "do school" too, and *just* the learning toys didn't cut it either. *My 2 year old even likes for me to tear him out "a page" to do while his big brothers do theirs.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

CaseyVG

Re: using MFW Kindergarten for mature 4 year old?

Unread post by CaseyVG » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:55 pm

I agree with baileymom. I had a 4 year old girl when my son did 1st. She was able to do the science with 1st, and she listened to the bible stories and any other books we read. I bought her the Rod and Staff, A-I series so she would have some workbooks to do while her brother was working. I really loved them! They were very gentle. Now she is in K this year and doing great!

If you do start her in K now, then you might have a problem the next year if she isn't ready for 1st. 1st moves quickly and has a lot more writing.
Casey

Caleb: ECC (finished MFW Adventures, 1st & K)
Rebekah: 1st (finished K)
Joshua: 2 year old
Matthew: baby
I blogged MFW K, 1st & Adventures at http://www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Chiming in to agree with the others. :) I would encourage you to wait on starting K with your daughter until the following year. My close friend started her daughter in K at a young 4. She was hoping to catch her up with big brother at least in some areas. Long story short, she's had to back her daughter up now that she's doing the 1st grade program and has decided to spread 1st grade over 2 years.

A workbook for her is a great idea! The Rod and Staff preschool wkbks are fantastic. You could also get her a blank notebook so she can draw along with your son as he does the Bible notebook in 1st. You'll find lots of opportunities to include her in 1st! Have fun, I'm about to do 1st for the second time around and can't wait!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

Chapsie

Unread post by Chapsie » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:09 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful responses! I think you are right. I will wait, and I will definitely look into the rod and staff workbooks!

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:28 pm

I agree that holding off on K for your daughter will really help ease you into the homeschooling journey. She can join in so many of those fun First Grade activities and feel like she's "doing school" if she has some simple workbooks of her own. I think I'd get a "real" Bible notebook for her to illustrate, too, just like her brother's.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

HSMom03

Unread post by HSMom03 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi! I was excited to read your post as we are in a similar situation. I am starting MFW 1st grade with my oldest in the fall and I was (sometimes still am!) debating between the 3-5yr preschool package or MFW K for my middle child. He will be 4.75yrs at the start of the school year. He also can't wait to start school, total opposite of big brother who would rather PLAY all day! :)

I am planning on getting the 3-5yr preschool package PLUS some of the preschool enrichment items that MFW sells. Make sure to check those out!! I love the enrichment items that MFW suggests for all of their packages. I plan on buying Big Thoughts for Little People, Lacing & Tracing Dinosaurs, and The Never Bored Kid Book 2 [Enrichment items] - this is in addition to the preschool package.

My 4yo will also want to participate in big brothers 1st grade activities (as much as possible - bible, science, etc.) because he really wants to do "school" all.day.long! :) I think he is going to be happy as a clam! I think the Never Bored Kid Book 2 would really make a child who wants to do school feel like they were doing school. Then add in all the other stuff and you have a great preschool year planned.

I understand the temptation to start K, I wonder sometimes... but then I remember that this will be our first year with MFW and I want it to be a good one and not too stressful. Maybe next year we can swing Adventures & K, with experience on our side. We are finishing up my oldest K year within the next couple of months. However, I might be able to say that this is our 3rd year homeschooling, if you count 2 preschool years plus Kindergarten :-) I haven't been super happy with things due to a combo of wrong curriculum choices and trying to go it alone. I think this plan will be a great way to start up with MFW. We can't wait! Seriously thought about ordering TODAY and starting the new school year in April! Let me know what you decide! So nice to know someone in a similar situation.

Poohbee

Using Kindergarten at 4? Anyone?

Unread post by Poohbee » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:13 pm

potpourri0710 wrote:Has anyone used this with a 4 year old? How did it go? My daughter is 4 (June 7th), and has high-functioning Autism. She wants to do "school" so badly.

We're currently using the Rod & Staff ABC series, but honestly, she's blowing through them. She devours 3, 4, 5 pages at a time and still asks for more. She knows her ABCs by sight (can't print them all correctly yet), knows numbers by sight to 10, can count to 30, knows all colors, shapes etc... has great visual discrimination (can tell at a glance groups of objects up to 3 or 4) etc... She's definitely capable of sitting for 20-30 minutes. Do you think it sounds like she's ready?
Hi there!

I have not used K with a 4-year-old, but I have used K twice with my two older daughters when they were 5, and I just started it 2 days ago with my 5-year-old autistic son. (He turned 5 in May). Your daughter sounds a lot like my son, as far as academic skills are concerned. My son recognizes all of his letters and knows the sounds of most of them, knows numbers into the hundreds, colors, shapes, etc. He's even starting to read by memorizing words. (He has a photographic memory, I think). So, the "basic skills" portions of K will not be a problem for him. We've just done the 1st 2 days of the introductory Creation unit, and it has gone well.

I don't need to teach him his letters, because he already knows them, so I've been focusing on the Bible portion of the lesson. I need to help him quite a bit with making the Creation book, but he is surely grasping the concept of what God created on each day of Creation. That is my goal for him right now...that he grasp the Bible lessons.

I was using a "letter of the week" curriculum for his preschool work last year, and that was great, but since he knows all of his letters, it was too easy for him. I was going to have him do another year of preschool and not start K until he turned 6, because I wasn't sure he'd be ready for K, but my husband and I decided to go ahead and start MFW K with him this year. I love the character and Bible lessons, and I think parts of the work will be easy for him, parts will be challenging, and parts will be just right. But, I was going to do preschool work with him again this year anyway, so I figured, I might as well start K and we can slow down in areas that are a struggle and just take it nice and easy, working through it at a pace that seems right for him. Also, my son has therapies 2 days a week, so we will only be doing K 3 days a week, basically moving through it at half-speed.

If your daughter really wants to do school and seems ready, I'd say, go ahead and give it a try. You can always slow it down or spend more time on things that seem too hard for her, especially since she is only 4. You have lots of time for her to complete K. But, since you're doing preschool work with her anyway, you might as well keep moving ahead since she seems more than ready academically. I normally wouldn't advocate starting a child in K too early. I say let them just play and be a kid for as long as possible. But, having an autistic son, I know that I need to do some focused teaching and training in specific areas, and if you're going to be doing that anyway, you might as well use materials that are fun, hands-on, and Biblical. Just one perspective for you. :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

potpourri0710

Re: Using Kindergarten at 4? Anyone?

Unread post by potpourri0710 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:07 am

Yes, thank you. I'm like you, normally I would never start something so formal at her age. I started my son at 4, doing the Rod & Staff workbooks as well, then when he blew through those (lol, he devoured them in only 4 months), we moved in Weaver Interlock which was soooooo fun.

But, she is so extremely visual, a program like Interlock will not work for her. She needs the visual and worksheet in front of her. She does need more focused work to "grasp" stuff. My son learned his ABCs etc... through nothing more than reading books and doing puzzles. That wasn't working for her. She needs the repetitive, focused teaching approach. She is a big memorizer as well, so it's the comprehension that always worries me - how much is she actually getting?

If we take it 3 days a week, it'll take us basically until December of next year, which I think might work nicely. She still has 4 hours of ABA therapy every day, so I don't want to overload her.

Colleen

Looking for affirmation

Unread post by Colleen » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:00 pm

Greenmamaof2 wrote:My 4.5 year old daughter is mature for her age. She attended 2 day a week preschool last year, but wasn't interested in going for Pre-K. She dances, sings and draws/colors often and actually forms her letters better than her 6.5 year old brother. I was really hoping to use the first grade curriculum for my daughter - just ease back on the info for her & have her do worksheets I've collected from other sources. Does this seem feasible or am I expecting too much too soon for both kids? Thanks for any input!
A 4.5 y.o. dd would still benefit from MFW K. The Bible themes and categories are wonderful. (One of my favorites was H-h-horse "I obey right away" - you can learn a lot from a horse - and from MFW K for that matter
Colleen in MI
Wife to Dave (for almost 20 years) and Mom of four.
Currently doing:
US History to 1877 with 11th grade girl
Exp to 1850 (2nd time) with girls in 8th & 6th grades
First Grade (4th time) with only boy