3 year olds - I can't help but teach...help!

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
ShanMom

3 year olds - I can't help but teach...help!

Unread post by ShanMom » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:05 pm

Mercy wrote:I SOOOOOO want to go through MFW K with my daughter when she reaches that age, but I can't stop her from learning how to read. It's almost a battle for me, because she LOVES learning. And since she knows all of her letters and sounds, she's now begun sounding things out. (because she's in the bathtub and sees on the shampoo the word "KIDS" and asks how to spell that). Just an example, but she does it constantly. So, I'll say it slowly to show her how to sound it out. Now, that's all she's doing is going around sounding things out.

How can you NOT teach when they apparently are ready?

I have the book I used to teach my son to read. Would it really be so bad if I picked up the book and worked a little bit here and there with her?

It's not that I don't want to "let her be young" - it's just killing me that I can't meet her where she's at. Does that make sense?

I'd just like to get some closure in my mind about what to do with her.
Anyone out there with some good ideas?

By the way, she knows all of her colors, shapes, numbers to 10, she's working on her own to write, she can write her own name, etc. We've done the patterns, lacing, etc. She's really mastering all those preschool skills very quickly. I promise I'm not doing anything except just "being there" for her when she's interested in something.

She's at a point, the next step is reading, writing and cutting skills. HELP!

Thanks again for giving me a place to "talk."
~Mercy~
Mercy,

Maybe some of the more experienced mom's will give some more helpful advice, but from my limited experience, you should definately still plan on doing MFW K if you are wanting to do that - no matter where your child is on the reading spectrum. It's just so wonderful. The unit studies such as Apples, Insects, Jewel, and so on can be done separately from the phonics portion if your child is beyond the MFW phonics instruction by that time.

You could make that choice when you get to the beginning of Kindergarten and see where your child is. Maybe the phonics lessons would still be enjoyable as a review, or maybe you would simply use another phonics along with MFW-K units. I think both ways could work well. I have done it both ways (using MFW phonics with the units, and another phoincs with the units) and both ways worked well.

Hope this helps. I think the curriculum is enjoyable for any child ages 4-7.
Pastor's wife and mom to three (Girl 8, Boy 6, and Girl 2 ... using Adventures and 1st Grade)

Mom2MnS

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:18 pm

Hi Mercy :) It is a joy to have a little one who loves to learn! I have one, too! My two cents would be to change her definition of what "school" is for now. Do still answer her questions about sounding out, etc, but introduce her to lots of different activities and play.

It will be a little work (I am doing this, too), but to me it's worth it. I am introducing different kinds of arts & crafts, different toys, different ideas, different books. Steering away from the ABCs, 123s, shapes, colors, etc. Doing a little of that, but that isn't our focus.

My 2 year old is doing science, music, Bible, read alouds, etc - along with his older sister. I used "days of the week boxes" from Upon Our Hearts this year - and that has been a hit! I am planning for them again next year.

I also have purchased several toddler activity idea books - there are lots of great ones out there! And they are filled with ideas that are easy on mom and geared just for the little ones.

He is curious about everything and wants to "do just what sissy is doing" in school. Part of his training has been learning that some school they do together and some is just for him/her. After he adjusted his ideas, he likes that!

I agree that you should do MFWK for K. It is just an excellent program - so rich and so fun. We loved it!

Blessings to you as you make decisions! Love, Q
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16

mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:14 pm

I have a great learner as well. I just can't keep up sometimes. Go to the library and read to her lots, go on nature walks and let her draw the things she sees. If she has a particular interest let her dive into that. ALso clay, cornstarch and water (great for non allerigic kids take a little corntarch and water and mix it til it a little thick when you jab your finger in it it will not breakthrough but when you do it slowly it will). Play. Play. and more play. Have her tell you stories and you tell stories. You make up a line and then let her make up a line (they can get very silly).

Have fun enjoy this time and if she is asking you how to say something answer her. My DD started reading at just before 4 years of age and I did not teaching how to read (all on her own) so sometimes it just happens (enjoy it because many struggle with reading).
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

Mercy

Unread post by Mercy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:37 pm

Quinne~ You hit it right on the button! See, I've called "character training" school, housework school and of course school stuff school, but never PLAY school! I need to rework the definition of school in my mind. It all seems sort of simple and silly now that I didn't see that before...oh well.

Mike~ I love the idea of telling stories together!! I started just recently stretching my own creativity by trying to tell misc. bible stories to her. I'm not the most engaging, vibrant story teller, but it's been fun to try. I love the idea of taking turns to make stories up. Very neat! And, great reminder to play with clay. Playdo gets old so quickly, it's fun to try new things.

ShanMom~ I am really looking forward to trying K! I know I'll love it because I love the heart that the Hazell's have. They have blessed our home abundantly! I would just love to go through K without skipping anything. Who knows where we will be by that time...either way, I think I'll take your advice and do it regardless of whether she's reading or not.

Thank you so much for your thoughts everyone! I guess I'll have to sit down and try to plan our school a little different, thinking ahead to find ways to include more activities and crafts,etc.. Making time for play right now seems a little difficult with the new baby, but we'll get there. Projects just seem to be going by the wayside so easily. Changing my mind a little though on what school is will really help me to make the time for more play.

By the way Quinne, I love the idea of the "days of the week boxes!" I've tried something similar and I think I'm just a little too disorganized for that. I can't seem to keep up with them. I work better with "grab that thing off the shelf and play with it." LOL.

Thanks again for all the help!
~Mercy~
Wife to Superman
Mother to 8yob, 3yog & 3mob
started in ECC, switched to ADV
http://ourhomeschoolingadventures.blogspot.com/
http://ourhomeschoolingfun.blogspot.com/
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom." H.W. Beecher

ShanMom

Unread post by ShanMom » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:28 am

Mercy,
I am glad the others chimed in. I was seeking to give you a completely unbiased view earlier, but I will now share that I wish I had waited to start a phonics program with my son, and simply did other things to satisfy his craving to put words together...and followed the MFW plan as is. Mainly, because it is simpler for you when you can follow MFW (or whatever you are using) the way it was intended too. Hope this helps.
Pastor's wife and mom to three (Girl 8, Boy 6, and Girl 2 ... using Adventures and 1st Grade)

lyntley

Unread post by lyntley » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:49 am

My DD was just like that. We found this book at the library and loved it so much we purchased our own.

"Alphabet Art" A to Z animal art and fingerplays
It says "For ages 2 to 6"

Simple Art materials and household items are used (like paper plates, muffin papers, toilet paper rolls, cotton balls...) to create animals for each letter, from Allan the Alligator, to Nellie the Newt, to Zelda the Zebra. Each animal will take on a character of its own as they create their Alphabet Zoo. You also Create Make-and-touch letters - Bumpy Bs, Fluffy Fs, Quilted Qs and Zig-zag Zs. Other actvities include playing ABC games, going on letter hunts, doing silly ABC fingerplays, and reading rebus picture sentences.

We did one letter a week. We kept all of our creations in a notebook with page protectors and made a special "ABC book" my Littles are proud of to this day.

I am so not one that likes to get out a lot of stuff for messy crafts. This was simple easy and wonderful times spent together.

When we did this book with my son, DD remembered enjoying it so much she wanted to do it again with him. She was in 2nd grade...! My littlest one is 2 now and I look forward to using it with her before doing MFW-K.
Lynnette: Wife and Mother by the will of God.
ECC 07/08 with 9,7, and 2
CTG 08/09 with 10,8, and 3
www.homeschoolblogger.com/lyntley

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:40 am

Mercy, I'd just like to offer a little hug and say that you're not "pushing her" if you're letting her set the pace. Answering questions is not pushing. I know that you know that, but I just wanted to say it. It's a delicate balance when you've got a curious little learner -- you know what she's capable of, yet not wanting her to get so far ahead so early.

I read, read, read to my dd as a baby and toddler because I thought that's what a mom was supposed to do, and having unchecked PPD, staying at home snuggled up reading was wonderful to me! I never "taught" my dd to read, she just started trying to read by herself at age 2. I would help her sound out a word if she didn't know it, but it wasn't like a school lesson or anything. She was reading independently at 3.5, and she continues to love books!

We didn't start MFWK until she was almost 5, and it was a perfect fit for her. She already knew her letters - upper and lowercase, she could read at a 2nd-3rd grade level, and could add 2-digit numbers (without carrying). And MFWK was still a perfect fit for her -- because she was 5yo, and it is written for 5yo's, whether they are advanced or not. Lots of other moms on this board have taught MFWK to a child that is already reading well. There's lots of ideas for you when you get there.

I just want to encourage you to continue pre-school activities with your little princess, continue to read to her and let her try if she wants to, but don't be afraid that she's going to "outgrow MFWK before she's old enough to do it," because that's not going to happen. HTH.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Mercy

Unread post by Mercy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:12 pm

ShanMom~ Thank you for chiming in on that. I think MFW K is going to be just perfect! I know from using ADV and ECC that usually adding things just makes it more complicated. The Hazells have put a lot of thought into each year and I'm sure K is going to be complete without me trying to mess with it. :-)

Lynnette~ I just checked and my library has this book! What a great suggestion.

Cyndi~ That is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you. Really. I am so glad you wrote in because I have had a fear that if she progressed...K wouldn't really be a good fit anymore. Yes, I've read that others have done it, but I kept feeling like they didn't really get all they could out of it. Now I can see that it really will be ok. Your words refreshed me. Keeping a balance is very difficult. I did push my son and I don't want to travel down that road again. I want to always enjoy my children first and foremost.

God bless,
~Mercy~
Wife to Superman
Mother to 8yob, 3yog & 3mob
started in ECC, switched to ADV
http://ourhomeschoolingadventures.blogspot.com/
http://ourhomeschoolingfun.blogspot.com/
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom." H.W. Beecher