Bible in K?

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
cbollin

Bible in K?

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:04 am

Memory work in K?
mamato2 wrote:Just wondering if there is scripture memory in K?
Thanks! :)
In the K program, the memory work is more of Biblical truths centered around a theme. You read some verses together about that truth/them. I guess if you wanted to expand it, you could work together on the verses for extra.

For an example, in the Sun unit (lesson 1) the memory words for theme are
"Jesus is the Light of the World." You read together verses that say that (such as John 8:12). You could have your child learn the verse as well. Depends on the child a bit and on the verses too. In some lessons it would be too long for my children to learn the related verse.

-crystal

Buttercup78

Yep

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:37 am

Just what Crystal said. You can do the Words to Remember or the accompanying verse or even pick your own related verse. Whatever your kids are up to!

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:07 am

We memorized a verse to go with every lesson. My dd remembers all the "Words to Remember," but not all the verses -- so we didn't really memorize each verse, but we learned it. The Words to Remember are perfect for a child that is K age. I find myself quoting Hh Horse almost daily . . . . "I obey right away."
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

AES

Unread post by AES » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:10 pm

We were like Cyndi (WA), and dd really responded well to the 'Words to Remember'. I guess I underestimated the impact that the simple biblical truths would have on a K-aged child. I was going through a really hard time and my dd said, "I know Mommy, I don't quit; I persevere!" (which is from the Tt Turtle lesson near the beginning and we're done with K!). How could I not re-assess my situation after those precious words! :)

Amy E.

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Cyndi (WA) wrote: I find myself quoting Hh Horse almost daily . . . . "I obey right away."
Feeling ya here, Cyndi! For me it's, "I don't quit, I persevere!" from the Tt Turtle lesson. :) *sigh* I love those lessons...

Amy in NC

Explain Bible lessons in Kindergarten?

Unread post by Amy in NC » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:26 am

sarathan wrote:Can someone explain to me what the Bible lessons in the Kindergarten level are like? Is it reading verses and how they relate to the lesson? How often is there a Bible lesson?
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:14 pm
There are Bible verses included to read and discuss on Day 2 of each letter unit. (I believe its Day 2, its been a couple of yrs.) The "Bible Truths" of each unit are discussed daily and memorized, ie Hh Horse is "I obey right away."

If you think your child can memorize more you can use one of the verses. And you can easily add more. Many people add Awana or Sunday School verses to their MFW programs. Your dc ought to really enjoy MFW1.

AES

Unread post by AES » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:28 am

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:53 pm

Since I'm having a sleepless night, I decided to go get my TM since it was readily accessible! Just from perusing the manual again, like Amy in NC stated, there is an actual Bible verse on Day 2 located in the science section. There is a brief discussion before the Bible verses are given. I did notice that at least one lesson had the actual verses on Day 5. There is a translation given in the manual, but you can use whichever translation you prefer. And, there could be an 'Additional Activity' (it is an actual section in the manual, in the science section) based on a verse. So, yes, all of the verses do apply to the lesson being learned. I don't think I would call them 'stories', because they are the actual Bible verses.

On Day 1 is the 'words to remember', which again, as Amy stated, is like"I obey right away." For me, this helps simplify the corresponding Bible verses for the same lesson, in order for a K-aged student to be able to understand and apply. It appears that many of us adults still recite the 'words to remember' ourselves!

Amy E.

erikdeb

Bible in Kindergarten

Unread post by erikdeb » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Smoakhouse wrote:After looking over the sample pages for kindergarten, the only place I saw bible mentioned was on day to were you read and discuss 3 separate verses on day 2 and 1 additional verse on day 4. Is this the typical ways bible is handled? Does anyone do anything differently or having any tips or suggestions for bible?
I would say the main biblical focus in K is the biblical truths that are the main ideas of each lesson (I can't get the sample to load right now, or I'd tell you what it is on the sample). Things like "Jesus is the light of the world", "I will live and grow in Jesus", "I can't hide anything from God". Day 1 you talk about this biblical idea, then there are the verses you saw. The science topics have to do with the main idea as well, and sometimes have a direct biblical application.

I think my favorite is the week you study the leaf - and you have a whole project about how if the leaf wants to run away from the plant it will die, and use that as an illustration to show how we need to stay connected to God. So the focus isn't really those Bible verses that are listed, but they are the verses that support that truths taught throughout the whole week.
Deb, Mom to Isaac-8, Noah-6, Lydia-4, Micah-3, Simon-1
Once through MFW K, 1st, and ADV
2010-2011, MFW K and ECC

kacairo1

Re: Bible in Kindergarten

Unread post by kacairo1 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:10 pm

I have also supplemented with "ABC Bible Verses" by Susan Hunt. We love MFW!!!!
~Kelly~
Married to my high school sweetheart for 12 years!
Four beautiful gifts later:
Rachel (7.5)--ECC; CC; M-U-S
Joshua (6)--1st; CC; M-U-S
Luke (4.5)--MFW preschool; Liberty Press K book; ABC Bible Verses
Lydia (2.5)--dress-up queen

Dusenkids

Unread post by Dusenkids » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:25 pm

I haven't started yet but I have read my TM up to about unit 10. We will be starting mid/late summer (or however long I can wait) :-)

Each unit is based on a biblical principal. Everyday that principal is reinforced through verse, discussion, or hands-on illustration. There isn't a new verse everyday but Bible is talked about everyday. My guess is that by the end of each unit my ds will not only have the theme memorized but have a good understanding of it and be able to explain it to someone else pretty easily. Kids discussing the Bible...Awesome!!! I might add some related verses if I need to. My ds loves memorizing stuff. But I don't want to make it a chore down the road so I am going to play that part by ear. Adding more Bible seems pretty easy if needed. I don't know how many kids you have but there is plenty of room in the margins to write extra verses in so you don't have to look them up again for child 2, 3... I am also planning to add a family devotional for everyone to kind of start our "school day". I haven't decided what yet. :~
Hope this helps.
Martie
Married to Nathan 15 years
Mom to 8 boys ages 12 to newborn
Have used Kindergarten to Modern

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:50 pm

You have it correct that the Bible verses for K are on days 2 & 3 of each week. The character lesson for the week is on the badge and ties is some to the verses.

The Bible picks up A LOT in MFW Grade 1.

For my oldest ds he used a different K program that had a different approach to Bible. For my second ds he did the MFW K Bible 2 days a week, and also listened in on the older son's Bible in MFW 1 & then MFW ADV; so he was getting plenty of Bible outside of MFW K. My older son did really enjoy me reading aloud to him the Egermieir Bible for his K year from Genesis to Revelation. I don't know how it would be to add to the K program; but it was very meaningful for both of us.

Blessings,
Carin

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:31 pm

We are only doing the K program this fall.

We do a memory verse to some extent already. I pick a verse and display it on our kids table. (It has Plexiglas covering it to protect the finish. I just slip things under it to display, like art projects and memory verses.) I have them say it everyday for a unspecific amount of time, usually till my oldest can say it from memory and then I change it. So, we will sort of continue that in K.
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

spaldingclan

Unread post by spaldingclan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:03 pm

We just finished the K program last week. My girls got a lot out of the bible verses we read on day 2, the "Words To Remember" that we reviewed every day and the character traits that those Words to remember emphasized. Every activity that we did during the week reinforced the bible concept that they were learning. I've got to tell you that it had a huge impact on my 6 year old and 4 year old dd's. They turned into little evangelists this year. The conversations that were sparked between us during our school went way beyond the scope of just reading the bible verse. That was a jumping off point for us which God then turned into LONG conversations all throughout the day. Then the girls went out and told every adult they bumped into what they had learned and asked the adult if THEY knew that Jesus was the light of the World and did THEY have Jesus in their heart so that they could be a light to others? Oh man, it was AWESOME!!!

For us, it was just the right amount of bible study, meeting the girls right where they were at and I think it will lead perfectly into more indepth study this year in MFW1.

One thing I love though is that there is plenty of time to spend doing more study on the Bible topics presented if you want to. Moving at the pace of our own children and family is one of the many glorious things about homeschooling that I love:-)

Blessings,
Kim
**Stars of Grace Academy**
happily married to dh since 1995
mom to 3 outgoing daughters:
dd1 age 14: Freshman at PS
dd2 age 6 1/2: currently in MFW1, finished MFWK
dd3 age 5: currently in MFWK
http://thislittlehouseschool.blogspot.com

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:13 am

spaldingclan wrote:We just finished the K program last week. My girls got a lot out of the bible verses we read on day 2, the "Words To Remember" that we reviewed every day and the character traits that those Words to remember emphasized. Every activity that we did during the week reinforced the bible concept that they were learning. I've got to tell you that it had a huge impact on my 6 year old and 4 year old dd's. They turned into little evangelists this year. The conversations that were sparked between us during our school went way beyond the scope of just reading the bible verse. That was a jumping off point for us which God then turned into LONG conversations all throughout the day. Then the girls went out and told every adult they bumped into what they had learned and asked the adult if THEY knew that Jesus was the light of the World and did THEY have Jesus in their heart so that they could be a light to others? Oh man, it was AWESOME!!!

For us, it was just the right amount of bible study, meeting the girls right where they were at and I think it will lead perfectly into more indepth study this year in MFW1.

One thing I love though is that there is plenty of time to spend doing more study on the Bible topics presented if you want to. Moving at the pace of our own children and family is one of the many glorious things about homeschooling that I love:-)

Blessings,
So well said. Lovely! And, AWESOME is right. What a blessing.

To piggyback ... when we did K (and now with 1st) we would continually talk about the Bible concept/verse presented each week. Lots of discussion, and my husband and I try to find teachable moments through the Bible they glean from MFW, aside from church and life.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

Yodergoat

Considering MFW K

Unread post by Yodergoat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:18 pm

sweetgrace wrote:Hello, our son will be 5 in September and we will be starting kindergarten with him. I like [what we are using] and have been happy with the book choices and have already purchased [the next level of preschool] in hopes of starting it in the fall. However, I keep thinking about MFW K and mainly because of it's focus on the Bible which is most important to us.

Will using MFW K give us a good feel for future MFW curriculum? Has anybody combined MFW K and [another program]? Would that be to much?

Sorry for all the questions! I really just want to pick the best curriculum for us. Thank you for your time!
I will try to answer the questions that I can. We used the first edition MFW K, so some things may be slightly different.

I found MFW K to be a full curriculum that gives a gentle start to "real" schooling. Adding too much might defeat this, but there are some families who add in other things (like Five in a Row). The MFW K package (if followed as intended ) really is enough for a solid K year.

I think that MFW K gives a good feel for the heart of the curriculum, shows the strong Bible focus (which continues), shows the philospohy of it and the hands-on nature of it. But K has more of a unit study sort of feeling than does First (which I'm currently doing and which is a chronological trip through the Bible). I loved the unit study feel of K and had fun choosing things to go along with each week, but that is just me! The other elementary programs are centered around a period of time, with the exception of Exploring Countries and Cultures which is about geography/missions/people groups. That one gives a basis for the later programs.

I like how MFW builds on itself in the lower levels:

K teaches about God's creation and Christian character.
First teaches about God's Word and living wisely.
Second teaches about US History and the attributes and names of Jesus
Third (ECC) teaches about other peoples and the need for missions/prayer
Then the student enters the history cycle to begin at creation and move chronologically through time.

It makes so much sense!

I hope that this helps in some way!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

DS4home

Re: Considering MFW K

Unread post by DS4home » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:23 pm

sweetgrace wrote: However, I keep thinking about MFW K and mainly because of it's focus on the Bible which is most important to us.
Hello,

I am always intrigued when someone posts about being pretty set on a curriculum but then feeling that pull to look at and consider MFW. I believe God works in mysterious ways that confound the wise sometimes. I recommend much prayer and listen to that still, small voice. It's also a really good idea to run this all by your husband, they can have some great input from a different perspective.

I have tried and looked at many curriculums over the years, and the way MFW handles Bible is so unique. It is not just a subject on it's own. It is central to the whole day and really comes alive in ways that are hard to write about. I think you will really enjoy it :-)

There are many threads in the archives that discuss combining children. That seems to be a very popular reason for looking at MFW also, along with the great Bible aspect! Once a child has gone through their own K and 1st grade program and learns how to read, they join the family in the main core program being used that year. I would give you a link, but I'm computer illiterate and don't know how to do that &) Maybe someone else can help with that?

I encourage you to keep asking questions. That's how we get the best research info about the things that concern us ;)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

sweetgrace

Re: Considering MFW K

Unread post by sweetgrace » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:15 pm

This is exactly what I am hoping for! I'm not really good about sharing the word with my kids and I feel like a need a springboard to help me and I want it to be in a way that they will love it. I do feel like perhaps God is leading us in the direction of MFW when I had been so sure about [what we were using] a year ago. I will definitely pray about it. I've tried to talk to hubby but he gets pretty overwhelmed when I discuss curriculum with him. I research for hours and then he comes home and I throw a bunch of information at him :-) He said it is my decision and I guess that is why I feel like I can't fail and need to find the, ahem, 'perfect' curriculum.