#21 - Butterfly

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

#21 - Butterfly

Unread post by Marie » Wed May 05, 2004 2:08 pm

Lesson #21 Butterfly

Winkie

Books

Unread post by Winkie » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:36 pm

Extra books we used with this unit:

Info:
From Caterpillar to Butterfly - Deborah Heiligman
Caterpillars and Butterflies - Stephanie Turnbull

Hurry and the Monarch - Antoine O Flatharta
Monarch Butterfly of Aster Way - Elizabeth Ring
The Lamb and the Butterfly - Arnold Sundgaard
Where Butterflies Grow - Joanne Ryder
Where Does the Butterfly Go When It Rains - May Garelick
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

Winkie

wings

Unread post by Winkie » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm

When we made our butterfly wings we used brown paper grocery bags with handles. I cut down the center of one narrow side, so that the handles would be centered better at the top of each side. After my boys decorated their wings, I rounded out the corners & cut the bag into wing shapes. Then all they had to do was slide their arms into the handles to "fly". They loved them!
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

Ariasarias

butterfly activity

Unread post by Ariasarias » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:00 pm

After we read the verses from Day 2 (and I add the fruit of the Spirit from Galatians, too) my dd drew a pictures of a caterpillar on one paper (we labeled this "the old self") and a butterfly on the other (we labeled this "the New Self"). Then we listed what we are to "put off" on the caterpillar picture and what we are to "put on" on the butterfly picture.
Nicole, wife to Claudio since 1996, and mom to dd (2000), dd (2003), dd (2005), and ds (2009).

Marsi

Good website for butterfly life cycle

Unread post by Marsi » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:59 pm

I found this website which has a video of a caterpillar pupating, among other interesting photographs and information:

http://www.butterfly-guide.co.uk/life/index.htm

nhneubauer

Stages of Butterfly

Unread post by nhneubauer » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:09 pm

Again I don't know where I found this one.

Illustrate the stages of a butterfly lifecycle with pasta!

Glue the following in order, either in squares or a circle, to illustarte the cycle.

1-One grain of Rice (egg)
2-Spiral or cork screw pasta (caterpillar)
3-Shell pasta (chrysalis)
4-Bow-tie pasta (butterfly)

We also read:
The Butterfly Alphabet Book by Brian Cassie
(Highly recommend, covers letters and 28 different butterflies)
Butterfly Story by Anca Hariton
(I found some books to be very indepth and long. This one is short but covers the basics)

Nicole

sweetlucyhope

Book

Unread post by sweetlucyhope » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:45 pm

When we moved our chrysalids from the cup to the habitat, we had to scoop one up from the bottom of the cup. He fell off the lid early on. I was worried for him but let me tell you the little fellow is still spunky. His cocoon started wiggling SO MUCH! The information booklet said they might shake. That meant in a vibrating way to me. He squirmed and wiggled all about! It was funny and surprising! Our 6yo LOVED IT!

Loving MFW,
Lesa
Mom to 6 yo Trini and 2 1/2 yo Will
About to finish MFW Kindergarten!!

RachelT

More butterfly books

Unread post by RachelT » Tue May 08, 2007 10:03 pm

More butterfly books:

Magnificent Monarchs by Linda Glaser - great life cycle information, but through a "living book".

Waiting For Wings by Lois Ehlert another great life cycle book with wonderful illustrations (this is a great author!).

Butterflies in the Garden by Carol Lerner had beautiful, realistic illustrations of various types of butterflies.

A Mother's Wish by Kathy Jo Wargin is a sweet story about a mother and daughter.

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Mom2MnS

favorite reads

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Thu May 17, 2007 2:19 pm

A few of our favorite reads from the buttefly unit were:

Are You a Butterfly? by Judy Allen & Tudor Humphries
Hurry & the Monarch by Antoine O'Flatharta
Butterfly House by Eve Bunting

BH really touched our hearts, and it gives an excellent description of how to care for caterpillars that you find in the yard to raise as butterflies.

I also want to add a note about the caterpillars to butterflies project. This was a priceless addition to this unit, and I highly recommend it! Whether you make your own habitat and find your own caterpillars or buy the habitat and order them. It's very low maintenance, and the butterfly garden is reusable any time you want to do it again. We were just enchanted with the way the Father designed these precious creatures!
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16

TurnOurHearts

Recipe

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:58 pm

I found this recipe* & thought I'd share - it was too late for our use in the school year, but my kids can't wait to make these:

Flutter-By Franks

1 tube (8 oz) refrigerated crescent rolls
4 hot dogs (or turkey dogs, if you prefer)
Ketchup & mustard

Unroll crescent dough & separate into eight triangles; cut each triangle in half. Roll each piece into a ball; flatten to 1/2-inch thickness. For wings, place four dough balls in a square shape 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Cut each hot dog length-wise 1/3 the length of the dog (makes the butterfly antennae). Press a hot dog between each set of wings.

Bake a 375* for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Place drops of ketchup & mustard below cut on hotdog for eyes & mouth. Yields 4 servings.

Too cute & tasty to boot! ;) Enjoy!

(*this recipe taken from the May/June 2007 issue of Taste of Home's Simple & Delicious magazine)

TurnOurHearts

Cocoons

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:33 pm

We're off & into first grade, but in the "Creepy Crawly Bugs" class at our co-op today, we did something too fun to not share!

After discussing the life cycle of the butterfly, the teacher paired the kids off & gave each twosome a roll of toilet paper. They took turns wrapping one another from their feet up to the top of their heads (leaving noses uncovered). They then "broke out" of their chrysalids & "flew" around the room being beautiful new butterflies!

We had such a good time...thought I'd share. :)

twinglemom

Website

Unread post by twinglemom » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:22 pm

Here is a great site to use with butterfly week.

http://www.prekinders.com/butterflies_kids.htm

Jeanette in SC

"B" SONG

Unread post by Jeanette in SC » Wed May 07, 2008 2:12 pm

We had fun learning this song. Sing it to the tune of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat." It goes like this,

Brush, brush, brush your teeth
At least two times a day.
Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning
Fighting tooth decay.

Floss, floss, floss your teeth
Every single day.
Gently, gently, gently, gently
Whisking plaque away.

Rinse, rinse, rinse your teeth
Every single day.
Swishing, swishing, swishing, swishing
Fighting tooth decay.

We made up our own motions to go with the song!

Julie - Staff

Great book for Lesson 21 & 22 in MFWK

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:12 pm

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:34 pm

I just wanted to share a good book I found at the library for the Butterfly and Frog Unit. The suggestions in the TM weren't available, so I got this one instead and was delighted to realize it would apply to TWO units!!

It's "The Caterpillar and the Polliwog" by Jack Kent.

I vaguely recall reading this as a child somewhere along the way myself. It tells the story of a caterpillar that tells everyone around the pond that she will become something else. The polliwog decides he will, too, and they become a butterfly and a frog respectively. Very cute.

Just wanted to share this pleasant surprise with you. DS really likes the book, too.

MommaSunshine

Butterfly Song: "If I Were a Butterfly"

Unread post by MommaSunshine » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:33 pm

If I were a butterfly, I’d thank you Lord for giving me wings
If I were a robin in a tree, I’d thank you Lord that I could sing
If I were a fish in the sea, I’d wiggle my tail and I’d giggle with glee
But I just thank you father for making me, me

Oh, how I remember this song growing up and I got excited as I came across this today in my search for BUTTERFLY craft projects. And so I thought I'd share this with you!!!!

Just visit this link http://www.dltk-bible.com/butterflysong/index.htm -- to see the song lyrics, courtesy of www.butterflysong.com .

ENJOY and HAPPY SINGING!! :)

Melissa L. :)

FreshKid

Book for this unit

Unread post by FreshKid » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:54 am

We are a long way off from the Butterfly unit, but I found a cute book at the library. It is called All Afloat on Noah's Boat! by Tony Mitton. Basically, the animals are getting grumpy being on the boat so long. Noah organizes a talent show to entertain everyone. All the animals showed their special skill. The caterpillars just wrapped up in their cocoons and waited out the show. When everyone thought the show was over, the Caterpillars were the show stopper!

It is a cute rhymie (is that a word?) book. We will definately get it out again!

Beverly

FreshKid

Butterfly Ordering Info

Unread post by FreshKid » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:32 am

A lot of people seem to question when to order the larvae for the butterfly habitat. Here is how our timeline of ordering worked out:
January 12: mailed order for larvae
February 3: postmark of package from California to North Carolina
February 6: arrival of package in our mailbox (a mild weather day!!!) :-)
February 25: The first butterfly emerged -- Ash Wednesday and day 2 of our Butterfly unit when we talked about taking off the old self and putting in the new self. I LOVE it when things work out! 8)

Hope that helps,
Beverly

FreshKid

Re: #21 - Butterfly

Unread post by FreshKid » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:23 pm

We finally have all our butterflies. The last one "hatched" today. Here is what happened with him/her: When the other 4 were attached to the lid, it was still on the bottom and not as big as they were when they attached. Customer Service said to go ahead and attach the ones in the pupa stage to the habitat. Replace the paper disc in the lid with a coffee filter. When it attached, we pinned it to the habitat.

:)
Beverly

salmy

Unread post by salmy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:42 am

Metamorphosis by Hoff, Mary King. shows many animals changing

Another one we enjoyed even though it is a bit young is Hermie by Max Lucado. This one really broke through with my kids that God has something special in store for them. Enjoy!

powersfam4

Book

Unread post by powersfam4 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:44 am

We found a cute book to go with along with Lesson 21 Butterfly. It's called Waiting for Wings by Lois Ehlert. Very cute and easy for new readers!

MelissaB

Re: #21 - Butterfly - Videos

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:24 pm

Hi, all -

Two great videos (by Focus on the Family & JellyTelly) about a caterpillar turning into a butterfly:

>> http://www.jellytelly.com/video/mystery-story-part-1/

God bless!
Melissa
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

psalm126mama

Re: #21 - Butterfly - Video Episodes

Unread post by psalm126mama » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Mister Rogers free with Amazon Prime -
Mister Rogers' Neighborhood Season 1987, Ep. 1583 "1987-08"
A visit with a dog helps Mister Rogers show how real dogs and the character Bob Dog, are the same and different. In Make-Believe, the children are learning about changing and growing with a video of a caterpillar turning into a butterfly.

Just for fun we also watched these for free on Amazon streaming -
Go, Diego, Go! - Volume 6, Ep. 3 "Diego and Dora Help Baby Monarch Get to the Festival"
The Backyardigans Season 2, Ep. 18 "Catch That Butterfly"
Go, Diego, Go! Volume 2, Ep. 4 "A Blue Morpho Butterfly is Born"
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

cbollin

Silly question about K reader, "Sam at Bat" - order

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:28 pm

Yodergoat wrote:Okay, this is going to seem silly. But it is bugging me and I want to get it right. Gail is doing Lesson 21 of MFWK, B-b-butterfly. The little included reader to cut out and staple is called "Sam at Bat." Problem is, I can't figure out what order to put the book in. &)

Okay, I completely understand the order of Sam's part. That all makes sense to me, but where does this Tom character figure in? The page says, "Tom got the ball." He looks like he is about to pitch, but it said he "got" the ball, which confuses me and makes me think he caught the ball that Sam hit.

For what it's worth, I think Gail has only seen baseball being played once in her life. We don't watch TV and don't attend kids' sporting events or ballgames. It is only recently that she can match the right ball to the right sport... my fault for not teaching her about the culture of sports. I realized I should do so one day when I saw her playing with kids during co-op PE time and she didn't know what to do with a soccer ball. %| Woops, need to tell her about that!!! So the order of the book doesn't seem weird to her.

Please oh please someone tell me where Tom fits into this story so I can stop wondering if it's stapled in the right order! Thanks.
I know what you mean about sometimes my child doesn't always have the associations. Some of her homework from speech therapy I think.. .whoa baby... things this kid doesn't know. But in this case... the sequence of hit and catch... makes for a nice time for inference.

anyway... I have the uncut page from that unit. left to right and then down to the next line.. left to right...
The quick answer is Tom catches it after Sam hit it and before Sam ran. (edit to add: assume it was a ground ball and not a pop fly. yes, you're overthinking it my cyber friend. wink wink.. laugh.. silly me.. it's ok. hug hug being silly on the forum with you)

Sam has the bat.
Samhit the ball.
Tom got the ball.
Sam ran. Ran sam run!
sam slid. did sam miss?

it's ok . ((hugs)))
-crystall3

Yodergoat

Re: Silly question about K reader, "Sam at Bat"

Unread post by Yodergoat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:40 am

Uh....*raising hand* I called them earlier this year to ask how to fold one of those phonics booklets because I couldn't figure it out and I was afraid I was going to cut it apart. Oh well, lol. :-)[/quote]
Phew, thanks! Now, I asked my husband when he got home and he thought that Tom was pitching, because of the stance. He said it should be "Sam has a bat. Tom got the ball. Sam hit the ball. Sam ran. Sam slid. Did Sam miss?" for the story.

So I asked, "But they use the word 'got' in 'Tom got the ball,' and I wonder if that implies that he caught it. If he pitched the ball, it wouldn't say he 'got' the ball."

Husband shrugged and said (pleasantly), "It's a kindergarten reader. What other word could they use that is so short that the child could read it, since they haven't taught things like 'threw' or 'pitched' or even 'tossed' yet? They had to use a short word like 'got.' I don't think this really matters, anyway... you are way overthinking this.... it could work either way. Hey, weren't these in a certain order when ya'll cut them out? That would probably be your answer!"

I figured I should have looked more closely at the order of the panels before we cut them apart. Thanks for clearing it up and for not making me feel ridiculous.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:43 am

I found a poem to recite during the butterfly unit:

The Caterpillar
by Christina G. Rosetti

Brown and furry,
Catepillar in a hurry,
Take your walk,
To the shady leaf or stalk,
May no toad spy you,
May the little bird pass by you,
Spin and die,
To live again butterfly

I thought it would be cute to recite together. My kids are very excited about this unit :-)
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)