#14 - Horse

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

#14 - Horse

Unread post by Marie » Wed May 05, 2004 2:15 pm

Lesson #14 Horse

Sarah (TX)

A good book

Unread post by Sarah (TX) » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:46 pm

I just wanted to share a good picture book our family found for the horse unit. It is titled John and Tom and is by William Lange. I found it at our local library. I loved how this book tied in so nicely with the theme of obedience. The story is about the bond between a man and his horse. When the man's life is endangered, his horse's obedience ultimately saves him. Hope you enjoy this book as much as our family did!
Sarah, married to Drew (12 yrs), mom to Grace (8 - Adventures), Emily (6 -MFW1) and Megan (3)

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:05 am

Sarah,

Last year we did K (and we will next year), but I think that I will look for that book now. My 8 yodd is gaga over horses. Another (lighter?) read for horses are the Twist and Ernest books that our library carries. Very sweet books. Sorry I don't know the author offhand.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Omma

Unread post by Omma » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:44 pm

We had a great time visiting a stable after we read and watched Black Beauty. Then I also read, "Mary on Horseback (Three Mountain Stories)" by Rosemary Wells. SL uses it for Core K. It's a bit intense, but very good. My 5.5 ds wanted to know if we could still read it over and over again. It made us cry, but in a good way! Then we just watched, "Man From Snowy River" which was a great finale to our "Horses" week!

Winkie

Books

Unread post by Winkie » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:36 pm

Books we particularly enjoyed:

Calico the Wonder Horse by Virgina Lee Burton (this is so funny!)
The Wild Horses of Sweetbriar by Natalie Kinsey Warnock
Billy and Blaze by CW Anderson
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

humpty

4-H virtual farm - HORSE

Unread post by humpty » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:09 pm

This is a great site for information, videos, coloring pages, activities and more on cows, horses and farms.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/resources/4h/virt ... /main.html

Rox

Unread post by Rox » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:12 pm

We also enjoyed John and Tom. Thanks to Sarah ( TX).

One thing we did the boys really enjoyed was pretending to be a horse being guided with reins. I clipped a string to each arm of the t-shirt he was wearing. I then stood behind him while holding onto the "reins". I tugged on the left rein for him to walk left and so on. I used spoken commands such as whoa for stop and clicking sounds to cause him to speed-up. The book John and Tom gives great discriptions of commands often used with working horses.
Each boy did this with me and it reinforced how a horse obeys.
Rox, wife of a Godly man and mother of two boys.
We are thrilled to have used MFW for many years. Thanks to God for blessing our family through homeschooling with MFW!!!

Bonnie

Unread post by Bonnie » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:56 pm

We added to the fun this week as we were studying the Hh sound by getting up when the time seemed right and doing exercises, (anything from running up and down stairs, jumping jacks, chasing each other around or whatever. Then we all stopped and listened to the sound we were making as we were all panting for breath. The children were thrilled to hear themselves making the h-h-h sound "without even trying." :)
God has blessed our lives with Loren(5), Megan(4) and Ashlyn(2).
Bonnie

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:41 am

Hello! Here are some fun books about horses.

Teeny Tiny Ernest by Laura T. Barnes (we've read others in this series about Ernest and they are cute)
Strawberry Shortcake's Filly Friends by Megan Bryant
Fritz and the Beautiful Horses by Jan Brett
Everything horse: What kids really want to know about horses by Marty Crisp

Happy reading!
Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Julie - Staff

Horse movie reviews

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:36 pm

hollybygolly wrote: For Day 4 it suggests to watch Black Beauty or The Black Stallion. My kinders. are quite sensitive to animals dying. Do the horses die in these movies? If so, can you recommend a different movie about horses that I can look for?

Editor's Note: Black Beauty was a recommendation in the 1st edition Kindergarten. The 2nd edition of MFW Kindergarten suggests library videos about real horses.
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:21 pm by mrs_mike98
Black Beauty does have some traumatic scenes in it - horses being whipped or mistreated, and an implication of a horse dying. The Black Stallion is an overall more uplifting story, IMO. It is a little scary during the boat wreck, but it is soon obvious that the horse is just fine :-) My boys have seen both and prefer the Black Stallion.

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:22 pm by LSH in MS
The OLD version of Flicka (Roddy McDowell, 1943) is good. In the new version, the daughter was too rebellious.

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:45 pm by LizCT
I agree that Black Beauty has some intense parts, and although I haven't seen the movie recently, in the book several horses do die.

I can second the recommendation of Black Stallion.
Liz

Posted Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:37 am by Toni@homezcool4us
We also have the old version of Flicka (Roddy McDowell, 1943) and my horse loving 8yo dd loves it.

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:34 am by amylynn12
I ran across this one from 1961, called Misty and wondered if that may be a good one? Has anyone seen it?
Misty (1961), David Ladd (Actor), Arthur O'Connell (Actor), James B. Clark (Director)

How about Spirit? (The Disney movie) It has been a little while since I have seen this one, so I can't really remember if there are any real violent scenes, or not...

I wish you luck in finding one that your little ones will enjoy.

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:47 am by mrs_mike98
Misty is a great story, I'm sure the movie is wonderful, as well. I think I've seen the movie, but its been so long I don't remember. My boys and I actually just finished reading Misty a few weeks ago, they loved it!

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:51 am by Poohbee
Yes, my dd loves the movie Spirit, which was mentioned by another poster.

Also, we watched the movie Dreamer, starring Kurt Russell and Dakota Fanning. We really enjoyed that movie. It is rated PG, but I think it is pretty good overall. I can't remember whether or not it has some negative points, but it's a pretty good movie about horses.

Jeanette in SC

"H" Craft

Unread post by Jeanette in SC » Wed May 07, 2008 2:22 pm

We made Decorator Hats this week to go with "H" lesson.

In a 300 degree oven, place several styrofoam cups upside down on a baking sheet. When cups shrink to desired size, remove from oven and use your imagination to decorate the "hats". You may paint these, glue on decor (lace, flowers, etc...) or your kids can write their names on them and use them for place cards at your supper table.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:21 pm

Horse unit and my autism Kindy kid :-)

We have had a lot of fun with this unit. This is a fun unit to incorporate a lot of language goals. Over all the theme is I obey right away.

Well, we've worked on rhyme patterns to tie it:
I obey right away -- neigh!!!! (so we make the horse sound with it too)
and also I obey right away --- YEAH!!!
(that was a fun contrast too with Noah vs. Jonah with yeah and neigh (when neigh is in the sense of no.)

We've done a lot with encouraging her to follow multi step instructions and cheer each time that she obeys right away.

We've done lots of active play and "floortime" by playing horsey. Lots of pretend play with toy horses. Barn toys.

On the day where neuro typical students in the unit would learn lots of knowledge between using horses vs. cars (change of the times, transport etc.), we just took out play cars and play horses and fed them the right stuff and took care of them. We still made a chart about differences, but it needed that extra hands on fun of feeding pretend gas to the car, and water to the horse. And then we played in the car with seat belts, and looked at saddles to put on a plastic horse.

been a fun unit. I didn't realize how much she might like horses. I knew she didn't care much for other farm animals, but something clicked with the horses.

-crystal

Julie - Staff

Snack ideas for H-Horse?

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:30 am

mamanamadee wrote:I want to have a snack or recipe to go with the letter or theme of each K unit. I have found recipes for most units, but I have run out of ideas and was hoping that one of you creative people out there could help me out with H-horse.
Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:07 pm
Author: dhudson

How about shredded wheat perhaps spread out with chocolate melted over them for horses or oatmeal cookies (as horses eat hay and oats).

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:48 pm
Author: Julie in MN

How about *haystacks* for horses. Can you tell I like chocolate :o)

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:57 pm
Author: T8ermomma

H could be Honey. Or Honey Dew melon.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:55 pm
Author: DS4home

Or you could make a horse stall out of grahm crackers and frosting.

Dawn

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:42 pm
Author: Amy in NC

How about horseshoe-shaped sugar cookies?

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:25 am
Author: firewarrior

H Ham, Hoe-cakes

liz217

Jonah story

Unread post by liz217 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:36 pm

I wanted some picture visuals for the Jonah story on Day 5 and I came across this site http://www.creationism.org/books/BibleI ... /index.htm
This is the Bible in pictures, almost word for word. It's good for telling kids Bible stories, especially your visual ones. It uses KJV text (which we use anyway) but then you can paraphrase the story for each page. Download the zip files and you get all the pictures in better quality.

Teresa in TX

Re: #14 - Horse

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:47 am

Hiding a treat:

I didn't really have anything fun to hide, so I purchased a bag of m&ms for a snack for ds. After hiding them and him finding them, we poured the bag out and he counted all of the m&ms and I had him divide up a portion of them to give to his siblings. He liked that and took their portion, individually, to each of them, then had his own left to eat. It is a simple thing, but was a good lesson for him because 1) he had to obey, 2) he had something special from following the obedience 3) he had something to SHARE with those he loved from his obedience, and it made him happy to have something to give each of them, and 4) it helped him with counting and dividing. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I always like having more than one lesson from one activity. ;)
Teresa, Mom of 5: 15yo dd, 12yo ds, 7yo ds, 5yo ds, and 1yo ds

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
MFW World History with 10th grade dd
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

nikispangler

Unread post by nikispangler » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:58 am

A book we really enjoyed was "Are You A Horse?" by Andy Rash. It's the story of a cowboy who receives a saddle for his birthday, but needs to find a hose for a ride. He goes from animal to animal getting clues about what a horse is like. Spoiler alert- he finds a horse at the end of the book. :-)

MuzzaBunny

Unread post by MuzzaBunny » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:40 pm

All of our horse books. This list is cut and pasted from my online library account, so please forgive it's ugly format; it was a lot to type. ;)

My pony Jeffers, Susan.
Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa : partners Silverman, Erica.
Horse Doyle, Malachy. Very good info book
Mrs. Mack Polacco, Patricia. Excellent, true story.
Chestnut McGeorge, Constance W. So sweet!
A friend for Einstein : the smallest stallion Cantrell, Charlie. DD liked this one very much.
Blackie, the horse who stood still Cerf, Christopher. Beautiful but sad (true) story
Fritz and the beautiful horses Brett, Jan, 1949-
Ernest and the big itch Barnes, Laura T.
Ernest's special Christmas Barnes, Laura T.
Blaze and the mountain lion Anderson, C.W.
Blaze and the gray spotted pony Anderson, C.W.
Billy and Blaze Anderson, C. W.
Blaze and Thunderbolt Anderson, C. W.
Blaze finds forgotten roads Anderson, C.W.
Baby horses Muñoz, William.
What is a horse? Hirschi, Ron.
Horses, horses, horses Fowler, Allan.
Horses! Gibbons, Gail. Good book, but skip the evolution page
The perfect pony Demas, Corinne.
Pal the Pony. Pal goes to the fair Herman, R. A.
Sal to the rescue Herman, R. A.
My ponies Alistir, K. A.
One horse waiting for me Mullins, Patricia, 1952-
Twist and Ernest Barnes, Laura T.
Ernest and Elston Barnes, Laura T.
Teeny tiny Ernest Barnes, Laura T.
The wild horses of Sweetbriar Kinsey-Warnock, Natalie
Black Beauty's early days in the meadow Sewell, Anna, Mama's favorite
Bunny

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:05 am

Mister Rogers Neighborhood, free with amazon prime or $1.99 per episode

"Mister Rogers' Neighborhood 1979 - 2001 Season 1998, Ep. 1724 "1998-04"

Mister Rogers makes a merry-go-round by taping plastic animals on a paper plate and shows a factory video of how people make carousel horses. Lady Elaine is still missing In Make-Believe, but a special balloon may save the day."
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:08 am

We enjoyed the book "Twist and Ernest" about a scruffy little donkey and how he slowly wins the friendship of a snobby, fancy horse. I had borrowed a Folkmanis horse puppet from the library and was not sure how to use it with our horse lesson, but it ended up being perfect for acting out this story. A regular large horse stuffed animal would have also worked. Gail had a little scruffy donkey stuffed animal already and the size comparison between the two matched the size difference between the characters in the story.

I used the horse puppet and donkey toy to act out the story as I read it the first time. This was awkward to manage, but Gail helped hold the book and turn the pages for me. I made sure to use a friendly, excited voice for sweet Ernest and an uppity, snooty voice and mannerism for Twist. After we read/acted the story, we talked about friendship. We talked about loving our enemies and doing good to those who hate you, as well as winning over unbelievers with a loving manner.

The story was a great springboard for discussing judging others by their outward appearance, and I read this verse: "For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7)
This tied in to recent discussions we had been having about showing love and being friends with children at church who others often ignore, such as a certain little boy with Downs Syndrome. We talked also about being kind to those who are fancier, richer or who think they are "more beautiful" than us.

We spoke also about other ways that the horse and donkey could help each other besides Ernest being able to scratch Twist's belly. Gail was creative in thinking of other ways the size difference could be helpful and acted these out with the stuffed animals.

Then I asked her to re-tell the story for me, and she used the animals to help.

This was a fun activity for us and replaced the "Billy & Blaze" suggested activity.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:50 pm

I would like to give a movie review here for "Black Beauty." First, I want to say that if you rent or buy or borrow this movie, be sure you are getting the 1994 production starring Sean Bean... we saw a different version once and it was really horrible. :~

The 1994 version starring Sean Bean is quite good, but has some serious themes and moments of danger. Of course, this is a movie about how horses can be treated well or be treated badly, so there is a theme of "good owners" and "bad owners," which means that some owners are shown whipping and mistreating their horses, while others are kind and gentle. The title character horse goes through a myriad of owners and the movie follows him as each one uses him well or ill. The movie is narrated by the horse, but not in a silly way.

Here are a few scenes that may be of concern for sensitive viewers:

(there are some spoilers)

I appreciate that the movie shows a realistic looking horse birth, but some parents may not like this. This is near the opening scene.

There is a tense and dramatic scene on a bridge during a storm during which a man is nearly swept away.

A horse is shown very ill and near death, but recovers.

There is a fire in which a human and horses are in danger, but all ends well.

There are a few scenes in which people (and horses) are called "idiots" or "morons" and the like. This is not over-used or gratuitous.

A horse which is being reined in too tightly rears and falls, and afterward there are some scenes in which another horse is roughly handled. A wound is shown.

A man becomes drunk and rides wildly, causing the horse to fall. The man and horse are injured, some wounds are shown. The man faces the consequences of his actions and loses his job.

A horse is ridden roughly and is shown coughing and fighting for breath afterward.

On just a couple of occasions, God's name is used to express surprise or shock, but not in a curse.

A horse is shown with a raised tail, loudly passing gas.

(spoiler follows) A dead horse is shown, mostly covered in a blanket, but one can see its head and lolling tongue briefly. This horse was a main character.

A horse is misused by being made to pull very heavy carts and collapses.

------------------------------------

Although this seems like much "bad stuff," it is really handled well for the most part and opens good discussions about cruelty and kindness. There are some very nice redeeming elements with the "good people," some of which are quite kind. In one particular scene, Black Beauty is bought by a poor man and taken to a humble stable, but then he realizes that it is "good people that make good places."

I fear that if this movie was made during this current time, it would imply that animals are more important than people, or that it is wrong to keep horses for our use, but this movie does not go there. On the contrary, this film shows the horse's loyalty and obedience even in bad circumstances... but always showing (as one character says) that "good treatment makes good horses." I appreciate that not all people were made out to be cruel, but that a horse could have a pleasant life, even while doing hard work, if treated with respect and care.

The film has beautiful photography and music. The horse actors are gorgeous and have amazing talent. It does have a happy ending, but with a tinge of sadness.

This movie can be a good supplement to the Horse unit, but will warrant discussion and perhaps some judicious fast-forwarding for sensitive children. I would suggest that a parent preview the film to see if it fits within your family's standard for movies.

We enjoyed it.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!