#13 - Cow

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
lea_lpz

Re: #13 - Cow

Unread post by lea_lpz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:23 am

If you don't have any magazines around (or unwilling to have cooking magazines cut up that you cherish, like me ;) ) here is a link to find some dairy food printables you can print out and have the kids color as well as some activity worksheets.

http://www.nourishinteractive.com/nutri ... -fun-pages

Hope this is helpfull.
randjj1 wrote:Instead of butter, we made ice cream in a bag. Yummy!

From http://www.kidsdomain.com (enter "ice cream in a bag" in the search field)

What You Need

* 1 tablespoon Sugar
* 1/2 cup Milk or half & half
* 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla
* 6 tablespoons Rock salt
* 1 pint-size Ziploc plastic bag
* 1 gallon-size Ziploc plastic bag
* Ice cubes

How To Make It

1. Fill the large bag half full of ice, and add the rock salt. Seal the bag.
2. Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into the small bag, and seal it.
3. Place the small bag inside the large one and seal again carefully.
4. Shake until mixture is ice cream, about 5 minutes.
5. Wipe off top of small bag, then open carefully and enjoy!
Going to try this for tomorrow instead of our dairy party. Sounds so fun!
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

OverseasMama

Re: Questions about Kindergarten Unit "C is for Cow"

Unread post by OverseasMama » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Thanks everyone for the great ideas... I love the coconut idea since we are living in the tropics! My plan (yes, sadly we still haven't made it to unit 13) is to stick with cow for the main idea but shorten the unit. There have been other units that we really enjoyed so incorporated an extra day or two accordingly (sun was one of those) so I guess there would be no problem in shortening one if there are not as many activities for us to do. We may fill the time with study/activities related to farms in general, and possibly discuss other "C" words that help us to grow. I'll let you know how it turns out!

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:03 pm

cbollin wrote: I'd let it be a lesson about there is no substitute for the word of God even if there are substitutes for cows.
Great ideas from everyone...can I just say that when I read that particular line - I got chills. What a great thought!! Just had to let you know - that I love that line & for those who drink non-dairy "milk" or milk substitutes what a great way to teach that unit.

FYI...I have found coconut milk coffee creamer...but I didn't love it like I do my good ol' half & half! LOL....but on that note I guess it might not be good in case we convinced our 5 & 6year olds that "c" is for coffee - because I'm already way to hooked on my morning cup, & my mid-morning cup, and my early-afternoon cup.....I guess c is for coffee to me! :-)
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

romans8x28

Unread post by romans8x28 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:04 pm

This thread came to mind the other day, so I'm glad it got bumped back up because I forgot to search for it to share the idea I had. Would you be able to change the lesson to talk about cow meat instead of milk? Or possibly, cows eat grass, we eat cows, so different animals/people need different things to help them grow. The milk verse could still fit because babies need some kind of milk. You could add in a food chain lesson.
Rhonda is teaching:
Girl - 9, Boy - 7, Girl - 2, Baby in September!

2011-2012 - K-1st Ed.
2012-2013 - First-1st Ed.
2013-2014 - Adventures-2nd Ed., K-2nd Ed.
2014-2015 - ECC-2nd Ed., ECC & First-2nd Ed.

CaseyVG

Unread post by CaseyVG » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:43 am

I did not read all the responses, so forgive me if this is repeated. My daughter is also allergic to dairy. We talked about the difference between cow's milk, soy milk, and almond milk. I found a video on youtube on how they make soy milk, which was neat. You'll have to just search, I didn't save the link. We skipped the taste testing activities. The milk she drinks does help her to grow, even if it isn't cow's milk. I think it worked well enough for us.
Casey

Caleb: ECC (finished MFW Adventures, 1st & K)
Rebekah: 1st (finished K)
Joshua: 2 year old
Matthew: baby
I blogged MFW K, 1st & Adventures at http://www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com

kewkew34

Re: #13 - Cow

Unread post by kewkew34 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:24 am

I am getting ready to start the Cow unit and was having trouble finding the book Milk from cow To Carton by Aliki. I continued searching through the list of books by Aliki (I love that we can do that on our library website) and found out the the above book is a revived version of Green Grass and White Milk. I just wanted to let others know, just in case they couldn't find the listed book.
Karen-Wife to Harold for 7 yrs
Mom to
Steven-21 grad of PS, Floyd-19 working on GED, Krystal-16 lives with her dad and in PS
Tabitha-6 started K Aug 2012
Amelia-4 1/2 tagging along in K
Hannah-3 Pre K and Letter of the Week
Harold III- 1