#12 - Goat

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

#12 - Goat

Unread post by Marie » Wed May 05, 2004 2:16 pm

Lesson #12 Goat

ls22221

Book & Project idea for Goat unit

Unread post by ls22221 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:31 pm

I found a book called "The Goat in the Rug" that is told from the perspective of a Navajo mohair goat. The story follows the goat from a "hair cut" through cleaning, carding, spinning, dyeing and the weaving of a Navajo rug. After reading it to my son, I got out the potholder frame and loops and taught him some basics of how to weave. He made two potholders that day and has another in the works. Since this unit doesn't have alot of hands-on activities this may be one to add if you have an active learner!
Linda in northern MN
Son in 9th (AHL)
MFW from Kindergarten -- and SO THANKFUL!

Winkie

books

Unread post by Winkie » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:27 pm

Some books we used:
Farm Animals by Katie Daynes
Goats by Jason Cooper
Farm Animals by DK, photos by Philip Dowell
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

allison

goat

Unread post by allison » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:07 am

One book we found and really enjoyed was Beatrice's Goat by Page McBrier. It is about a girl and her family in Uganda who receive a gift of a goat and how it changes their lives. The girl is able to go to school, the children receive nutrition, they are able to make money to survive and get clothes, food, etc. It is a true story about the Heifer Project and it's impact about around the world. It was a good conversation starter with my children. Just wanted to share.
Allison
Wife to David
Mother to Celeste, Daniel, Ethan and Felix

kenziekylanmom

Printable coloring page

Unread post by kenziekylanmom » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:53 am

Here is a coloring page that I printed...so we would have little more for the goat lessons!
www.123kidzarea.com/2print/goat.html
Jennifer
mommy to
Makenzie 8yrs-Korea
Kylan 6yrs-Korea

mrs_mike98

Unread post by mrs_mike98 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:53 pm

Erin, blessed mama to 5 boys :-)

sls

Goat Unit Idea

Unread post by sls » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:08 am

We watched a "farm animal" video from the library, "Milk Cow, Eat Cheese." It takes kids through the whole process -from milking cows to making cheese and ice cream.

Also Gospel for Asia has a neat program that allows you to buy livestock for families in poverty, and a goat is one of the gifts that you can give. The website lets you read about the ways these families will be able to utilize the goat and also has an online video clip that shows how much it can mean to a family.

If interested in more info. the link for Gospel For Asia is here: http://gfa.org/gift

-Stacy

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:16 pm

Fun books to read:

G is for Goat and Oh, Look! by Patricia Polacco
Gordon in Charge by Jill Newton
Bill Grogan's Goat, adapted by Mary Ann Hoberman
Three Billy Goats Gruff by Thea Kliros

Non-fiction books with good pictures: Life on a Goat Farm by Judy Wolfman and Farm Animals: Goats by Emily K. Green

Happy reading!
Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Kirsty

Names of Mommy's and Babies

Unread post by Kirsty » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:20 pm

Enchanted Learning has a fantastic list of the names of creatures, male, female and young
Great resource for whenever!
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjec ... bies.shtml

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:03 am

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:41 pm

Field trip idea:

Goat Farm

Ariasarias

Unread post by Ariasarias » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:00 am

mom2h wrote:Does anyone have a quick link for some black and white line drawings of animals to make the popsicle stick puppets? A picture page for this could be used for matching game THEN cutting practice for the puppets.
Thanks,
mom2h
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:04 am

I used www.first-school.ws for black and white drawings of animals to print out.

Tracey in ME

Unread post by Tracey in ME » Sat May 24, 2008 1:57 pm

I printed these and made farm animal stick puppets. Scroll to bottom of page. I used cardstock to help them be more stiff.

http://www.dltk-teach.com/books/farm/index.htm
- Tracey
Mother of six (16, 13, 9, 7, 4, and 15 months)
2006 - Present - My Father's World
2001-2005 Sonlight

Our blog: http://traceys-journal.blogspot.com/

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Day 1 info book:

700 Kids on Grandpa's Farm, by Ann Morris.

Goats by Jason Cooper (part of the Barnyard Friends series published by Rourke Book Co)

Using this lesson with my autism child..... (but really, this hands on activity would be good with any child in my opinion)

I knew this lesson was going to be difficult because of the integrated Bible lessons. I prayed for some time before this lesson. On Day 1 of the unit, the Lord gave me an idea.

I thought I'd try to find a toy goat, but didn't have one in the Fisher Price Farm and Barn.
Earlier in the year, my older girls made Ivory soap carvings as part of one of the art/crafts in ECC.
I declared the soap figure to be a goat.
While reading the day's Bible lesson, I put the "goat" on the table. We had a piece of paper with the word "sins" on it. We placed the sins on the goat and led it off the table.

It was really great that the soap was white and clean. It drove home the point for my "kid" (pun intended) that the goat was clean until sins were put on and that Jesus was clean too.

Just want to encourage any of you teaching an autism child that God will help you along the way as you teach His truth to them.

Also we got to visit a petting zoo to see a goat. My child was a little nervous, but she sat with her daddy and looked.

Field trip idea if you just happen to be in Indiana -- go to the Appleworks in Morgan county.

-crystal

FreshKid

Goat Books We Liked

Unread post by FreshKid » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:58 am

Oh, Look, Patricia Polacco
Gordon in Charge, Jill Newton
Life on a Goat Farm by Judy Wolfman. This is life on a goat farm. It is told through the eyes of a child who lives on a goat farm.
The Queen's Goat, by Margaret Mahy

2mymasuly

Re: #12 - Goat

Unread post by 2mymasuly » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:11 pm

We finished this unit several weeks ago, but I wanted to post a book that I thought was awesome and can be used through the "farm" animal units and even has some "wild animals" that would work for the "wild" animal units (#15-18)

(The Bible Discovery Collection) Bible Animals by Bruce B. Barton, D.Min. (Tyndale House Pub.)

In each "chapter", it gives information about each animal and how it was used in Bible times.

Enjoy!

Heather

liz217

Unread post by liz217 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:29 pm

We are behind so we just wrapped up G-g Goat. Our library is very limited so we could not find the recommended books.
A couple of books we really enjoyed:
Hattie the Goat by Abigail Pizer - A really cute story about a mischievous goat.
All About Farm Animals by Brenda Cook - I liked the way this was written, explained the roles of several animals on the farm, and how the farmer and his family takes care of them. The wording was thorough enough to be informative but not to wordy so as to bore young ones. My son smiled through most of this book and even my 3 yr old DD sat through it listening intently.

We read the Usborne Book of Farm Animals, but I had to skip a few sentences in each section. After it told you what a male and female of each species were called, it talked about how babies are made (in more detail than my 5 year old needs to know right now). Other than that it was ok.

We also read Mountain Goats by Billy Ivy just before reading Three Billy Goats Gruff. We talked about the differences between goats that are raised on a farm and mountain goats.

For day 6 we read Beatrice's Goat, and then talked about people who don't have enough money for food, school etc. Then I showed him the Gospel For Asia website (which is linked in this thread). He was excited about buying a pair of goats and a pair of chickens for a needy family.

Now that it is in the 50s here we can make a field trip to a farm soon. :)

kanderson

Unread post by kanderson » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:06 pm

I read aloud to my children the book Charlotte's Web it goes along well into the next unit as well since it's about farm life.
Kristin
married to dh since 2001
ds-9 ECC
dd-6 1st,
ds-4 MFW Pre-School/ Rod and Staff,
dd-2, into everything!
one in the arms of Jesus

http://wefruitfullymultiplied.blogspot.com/

squishyE03

Unread post by squishyE03 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:54 pm

I found a book today at our library that I had NO idea was such an excellent resource for information about Goats! its called Billy and Nanny The twin Goats by Paul Witty. it is an OLD book. copyright 1953. but its written to go along side an Encyclopedia Brittanica film series. it even has questions in the back to ask your children to see if they were listening and what they have learned from the book! my daughter LOVED that it was about 2 little baby goats. LOL she is a typical 5 year old girl that LOVES babies!it talks about how goats grow, how to care for goats and such. Really an excellent resource if you can find it! Hoping our library does not do away with it anytime soon. :) if they do I hope they allow me to buy it!! LOL

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:41 pm

Mister Roger's Neighborhood - Free with mazon prime or $1.99 per episode

The Best of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood Season 5, Ep. 10 "Caring for the Environment (#1620) Making Toys from Throw-Aways"

Mister Rogers makes a puppet show using boxes and materials that would have been thrown away and Mr. McFeely brings a real goat to visit. The Make-Believe garbage problem is solved with the cooperation of many people.
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:25 am

allison wrote:One book we found and really enjoyed was Beatrice's Goat by Page McBrier. It is about a girl and her family in Uganda who receive a gift of a goat and how it changes their lives. The girl is able to go to school, the children receive nutrition, they are able to make money to survive and get clothes, food, etc. It is a true story about the Heifer Project and it's impact about around the world. It was a good conversation starter with my children. Just wanted to share.
We also truly enjoyed this book. The look on my daughter's face of just understanding and her eyes opening to see what other children experienced was just priceless. Not only that, but the character of Beatrice is also a wonderfull and great to emphasize to your child, such as how even though she didn't think a goat would be usefull she trusted her mother when she said she would be wonderfull and responded to her mother respectfully. Also, she had an appreciation for school and yearned to have an education. These are two areas we struggle in at home with my very strong willed daughter, and so the book emphasized these things beautifully.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

Ginthemusicmama

Unread post by Ginthemusicmama » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:15 pm

I made this youtube playlist for Goat that my kids have really loved, it has letter G videos and silly goat videos and songs.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... wY30MQ_tAv