# 8 - Dinosaur

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
hollybygolly

Wonderful Dinosaur Dd resource for Kindergarten!!

Unread post by hollybygolly » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi all~

We're in our Dinosaur unit for Kindergarten and I purchased a book called Danill the Triceratops. It's a beautiful, fun story about a little triceratops who has been asked to go on board Noah's Ark. A great living book, suitable for kindergarten, but my 2nd graders (and myself!) are thoroughly enjoying it. The author is Mary E. Woodis, and if you have trouble finding it please let me know and I'll help you. It's so hard to find Creation based books on dinosaurs...wanted to share! :)
Have a blessed day loving our Savior-Holly
Mommy to: Annie and Lynne (11), Maely (8), Gracie (6) and one precious one waiting in Heaven
Completed: MFW K; 1st Grade; Adventures; ECC
Currently using~MFW 1st grade (again!); Rome to Reformation

ACE_Hocking

# 8 - Dinosaur

Unread post by ACE_Hocking » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:22 pm

My son was really interested in how dinosaurs were excavated. To give him some small scale, hands-on experience, our family "excavated" chocolate chips from chocolate chip cookies using paint brushes and toothpicks. We all had a great time working around the table! We then each counted up how many "fossils" we recovered, then pooled them into one bowl to enjoy. It was a great activity!

Jody
Mom to Jack age 6

kanderson

Re: # 8 - Dinosaur

Unread post by kanderson » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:00 pm

We finished the dinosaur unit a few weeks ago. However, yesterday I stumbled across a DVD in our local christian bookstore (Family Christian Stores) titled, T.R.U.T.H About the Dinosaurs - I picked it up for $6.97. We watched it today and we LOVED it. It would have been great to have while we were doing the unit, but was great for a review also. It would probably be enjoyed by older children as well because it was funny too! It answered a lot of questions kids have about dinosaurs. They travel to the Creation Science Museum and speak with one of the author/speakers from Answers in Genesis as well.
Kristin
married to dh since 2001
ds-9 ECC
dd-6 1st,
ds-4 MFW Pre-School/ Rod and Staff,
dd-2, into everything!
one in the arms of Jesus

http://wefruitfullymultiplied.blogspot.com/

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:48 am

Free with Amazon Prime or $1.99 per episode.

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood Season 1980, Ep. 2 "Mister Rogers visits a Dinosaur Exhibit at a museum to learn about those powerful creatures. In Make-Believe, there's a dinosaur - or someone pretending to be one - and the children wish they could fly and be very powerful like a superhero."
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:49 am

Free with Amazon Prime or $1.99 per episode

The New Adventures of Madeline Season 2, Ep. 3 "Genevieve digs up a huge bone in the garden that turns out to be a fossilized stegasaurus' hip bone. The girls are thrilled with the discovery until the Old House becomes a dig site and is invaded by hordes of paleontologists"
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:03 pm

These are some fun ones we watched this week on Netflix streaming:

Dinosaur Train (this is a PBS cartoon series) - any episode

Blue's Clues - Season 3 Episode 24 - Shovel and Pail discover a dinosaur footprint in the backyard. Steve pretends to be a dinosaur.

Wonder Pets - Season 1 Episode 6 - "Save the pigeon/Save the dinosaur"

Sesame Street - Season 37 Episode 3 - Herb the dinosaur goes to Sesame Street
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st

kidswife

Short Videos on YouTube

Unread post by kidswife » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:14 am

I went to YouTube online and found great educational short clip videos on a search of "Dinosaur Train Dr". Dr. Scott Sampson does little short educational videos of about a minute in length. Strictly education on a specific dinosaur.... how big, what it eats, what animal resembles it today, etc.
Theresa
DDs 13, 11, 7
DS 9
Used/using R&S Preschool, Sonlight Books, Classical Academic Press, MFW & Classical Conversations!

CaseyVG

Unread post by CaseyVG » Thu May 10, 2012 1:29 pm

I found a book at the library called A Dinosaur Cookbook, by Sarah L. Schuette. My kids loved the Fossil Tracks, which was peanut butter spread on a round cracker, and then put 3 chow mein noodles on top to look like a 3 toed foot print. We're also going to try the T. Rex Teeth Pops, which are chocolate covered bananas on a stick.
Casey

Caleb: ECC (finished MFW Adventures, 1st & K)
Rebekah: 1st (finished K)
Joshua: 2 year old
Matthew: baby
I blogged MFW K, 1st & Adventures at http://www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:27 am

A couple of weeks ago we bought a toy for my 8 year old where you dig dinosaur bones out of a block of mortar about the size of a brick using tools that come with it and instructions for putting it together. I think it was called dinosaur dig. Anyhow, it is time consuming, but my dd, 5, was actually the one who probably got the most into it. We're on the A-a Apple unit right now, so a bit of a ways a way (doing 3 days a week during summer), but I plan to pull it back out during the dinosaur unit. Fun project to do with dad for k'ers.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:57 pm

We aren't on the Dinosaur unit yet, but came across an awesome book at the library, I Am a Tyrannosaurus by Anna Grossnickle Hines where a little boy acts out various dinosaurs and then you guess what dinosaur it is. In the end the mother joins in as a maiasaura, "good mother lizard"! Perfect for having your k'er act out dinosaurs and play dinosaur charades :) yeah! Great find!
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

bluemountainmama

Unread post by bluemountainmama » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Our favorite book for this unit was Dinosaurs Unleashed by Kyle Butt and Eric Lyons. It is written from a young earth perspective like many others that we looked at, but it had a lot more information on how fossils are formed and found than others. It also has information on lots of individual dinosaurs. It is 80 pages long, so we read a few pages each day. For background information, I really like the video on dinosaurs founds at drdino.com.

4monkeyz

Dd - Dinosaur

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Fri May 10, 2013 9:58 pm

When I was grocery shopping today at Aldi I found dinosaur chicken nuggets! :-) I thought it would be perfect for when we get to the letter D as a fun lunch. I know, rather silly, my wonderful dh gave me a long pause look and said, "I am sure she will love it." ;) It is one of Aldi's summer specials meaning it isn't a guarantee they will have them in fall so that's why I bought them now. My happy dance for today. Lol.
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

Ohmomjacquie

Re: Dd - Dinosaur

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Tue May 28, 2013 7:22 pm

quaker makes oatmeal with "dino" eggs. I think they are just sugar or something lol the "eggs" melt and there's little dinos left behind.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

MelissaB

Re: Dd - Dinosaur

Unread post by MelissaB » Wed May 29, 2013 5:37 pm

We did D-onuts! (Does that count?)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:19 pm

Answers in Genesis kids' site has several fun & interesting videos on dinosaurs. All free. :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:28 am

Coloring Pages - Dinosaurs
Free alphabet coloring pages from New Leaf/Master Books, publisher of a few of the books used in MFW.
http://www.nlpg.com/free-downloads/coloring-pages
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs