# 1 - Sun

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
beaglemamma2008

Cloudy Day ideas for Sun unit

Unread post by beaglemamma2008 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:36 am

We did our sun unit two weeks ago, and we only had one day of sun all week! Fortunately, it was the sundial day, but still...

As far as the grapes go, you're not going to be "behind" or anything because those things take a LONG time to turn into raisins! We're STILL charting our results (we're on Day 15 now), and they're just beginning to get to the point where the green is totally disappearing and they're getting shriveled up. So don't worry about that.

And as for the sun lesson itself, I would also take this opportunity to talk about why it looks dark outside today (the clouds are making a huge shadow over our neighborhood, city, etc.) Also, my daughter and I spent quite a while in her closet with a flashlight the first day of the sun lesson. She was fascinated with making shadows, realizing that the light won't bend around her hand or shine through her hand, changing the size of the shadow depending on how close she was to the light source, etc.

Hope you end up having a wonderful week after all!
Jennifer, mom to:
Hannah, 8. Finished and loved K, 1st, & Adventures. Currently loving ECC.
Millie, 5. Finished Pre-K and K "lite." Currently playing her way through K "for real."

http://www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com

MommaSunshine

Great song about the SUN!

Unread post by MommaSunshine » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:18 pm

Hey everyone!! In my search online for "information on the sun for kids" I found this really cute song about the SUN. It's cute & educational. At first, I thought ... "um, this is kinda dorky" (lol) but it kinda grows on you. :) Just see for yourself!! :)

Click on this link to hear the song "WHY DOES THE SUN SHINE"
http://www.kidsknowit.com/educational-s ... un%20Shine

Melissa L. :)

FreshKid

Our Sun Unit

Unread post by FreshKid » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:45 pm

We started our first unit last Monday (8/25). That was an overcast day, so we had a lesson in why the swimming pool was cold! From 7 a.m. on Tuesday til 7 a.m. on Thursday, we had 5.6 inches of rain from the remnants of Fay. My MFW-K kid was working on his cut-and-paste activity as the rain came down harder. He said, "storm starts with S." So, I guess the lesson wasn't lost after all. We did a lot of flashlight projects inside and our grapes are taking the slow road to becoming raisins. We worked on sun tea, sun bread (see book list below) and the sun dial yesterday. We were also able to pick plums at "Granddaddy's" house because the sun helped them to grow.

This forum was so helpful in helping me choose books, that I thought I would list the ones we used. Some of these were probably already posted, but were great suggestions.

Bear Shadow by Frank Asch
Regards to the Man in the Moon by Ezra Jack Keats
Sun by Steven Tomececk
Moon Sun and Stars by John Bryan Lewellen
Sun Up Sun Down by Gail Gibbons
Like Butter on Pancakes by Jonathan London
The Sun by Seymour Simon
Sunshine Moonshine by Jennifer Armstrong
Me & My Shadow by Arthur Dorros
Under the Sun by Ellen Kandoian (afterwards, at naptime and bedtime, DS would ask "where does the sun go when I'm napping?" "is it dark at (grandparents) house?" A great book to use with the globe to show dark on one side and light on the other. We still have to get the globe out and show where all the places are in the story.
Sun Bread by Elisa Kleven -- There is a recipe on the back of the book. We made it. I thought it was a strange recipe -- different than other breads I have made and I had to add more flour to make it "workable" to knead. The flavor was a little "off" My husband said it was kind of a like a sourdough. You might just want to use a your own recipe or by frozen dough in the store.

jenniferblake

Re: Great song about the SUN!

Unread post by jenniferblake » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:12 pm

Hey All! I wanted to pass along that the group "They Might Be Giants" also has a version of the "Why Does the Sun Shine" out there. It's a little more upbeat and less kiddish sounding. I got it through I-Tunes for my ipod, but there is a youtube version with some nice graphics. (I watched it and there is nothing offensive in it. However, as with all things on youtube... there is no telling what else might be available from that page.)

jenniferblake

Rising Sun Craft....

Unread post by jenniferblake » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:47 pm

I got the book Crafts to Celebrate God's Creation" by Kathy Ross (as mentioned by someone else in the creation section) and did a GREAT little craft with my son for the Sun unit.

We took a coffee filter, cut it in half and used watercolors to paint half of it red, yellow, orange, purple and blue (sunrise colors). Then you paint a styrofoam ball yellow with craft paint. Poke a slit in the bottom of a small disposable cup (that the ball fits down inside). Staple the coffee filter to the inside of the cup sticking up out of the cup. Poke a popcicle stick in the bottom of the yellow ball and pipe cleaner bits in the top of the ball like rays. Slip the popcicle stick in the slit, and make the sun "rise" out of the cup.

I can email a photo- this is a little hard to visualize, but it is REALLY cute- and my son loved painting the coffee filter.[/img]

Candi

Unread post by Candi » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:57 pm

Here are a few other things we did with lesson 1:
http://www.green-planet-solar-energy.co ... ids-4.html
http://www.green-planet-solar-energy.co ... ments.html (will make it this weekend with daddy)
http://www.reachoutmichigan.org/funexpe ... solar.html

For our oven, we used aluminum tape (like you use on dryer vents) so we wouldn't have to fool with gluing the foil. I put saran wrap over the opening to keep the bugs out. We did this yesterday and the boys loved it. We made s'mores. It wasn't very hot out, so it took 1.5 hours. The marshmallows don't melt well, so next time I think we will pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to get them started.

Candi

Unread post by Candi » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:11 pm

Here are a few others that my son really liked.

--My Light by Molly Bang (talks about how energy from the sun is converted to electricity)
--Sun Up, Sun Down: The Story of Day and Night by Bailey (Author), Jacqui (Author), Lilly (Illustrator), Matthew (Illustrator)
--Oliver's Wood by Sue Hendra (about an owl who stayed up late and saw the sun)
--Early Morning in the Barn by Nancy Tafuri

courthart246

Re: Pencil, Marker, Does it matter?

Unread post by courthart246 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:46 am

Alison wrote:I'm starting the Sun unit in K with my 4.5 year old (we LOVE it!). Does it matter whether or not he uses a pencil for handwriting? I think he'd be more comfortable using a crayon or marker. I don't think it really matters, but wanted to see if there is some developmental reason for making him use a pencil every time.
Have you seen the triangular-shaped pencils? They make them thicker, so they are easier for young ones to grip, and the shape of them is supposed to help as well. I haven't personally tried these, but have heard good things about them and would like to try them.

With markers and crayons, you can't erase, and we would definitely have found that to be a problem at the K level. I think markers and crayons are great for the coloring parts though.
Courtney
Married 20 Years to Jamie
Loving MFW along with my three kids:
ds - 16 (World History and Literature)
ds - 13 (Exploration to 1850)
dd - 10 (Exploration to 1850)

nagada

Re: Pencil, Marker, Does it matter?

Unread post by nagada » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:06 pm

Just be careful of them coloring with markers. DS took a black marker to one of his picture sheets and now we can't see the pic. He was trying so hard but the pic was small.
I've now resigned him to colored pencils only when doing worksheets.
Nicole
SAHM to 2 boys
Working through K with DS1 while DS2 runs underfoot!

kerby

Re: # 1 - Sun

Unread post by kerby » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:17 pm

I just wanted to share w/ you a way I made the raisins even living in a cool area and starting this in the fall. We put the grapes in a container on the window sill near the stove. Whenever I was going to use the oven, I would be sure to check out the progress of our grapes/raisins. Then when I was finished baking and turned the oven off, I would put the grapes on in a paper bowl and set them in the oven while it was cooling down. The littles don't know so they just see the progression and we can have fun learning that this is how raisins are made. It's been great because otherwise we could end up w/ mold and/or mildew before much change takes place on it's own. LOL

In HIS hands,
K
In HIS hands,
K

4 Blessings - 2 graduated
K, 1rst, Adv, ECC, CtG, RtR, AHL

Melissa

Unread post by Melissa » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:45 pm

I found a printable on the Crayola website perfect for this unit. Sure wish I would have had it last week when we were doing Ss Sun. http://www.crayola.com/free-coloring-pa ... ring-page/

Melissa

kwerling

Unread post by kwerling » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:01 am

jenniferblake wrote:Hey All! I wanted to pass along that the group "They Might Be Giants" also has a version of the "Why Does the Sun Shine" out there. It's a little more upbeat and less kiddish sounding. I got it through I-Tunes for my ipod, but there is a youtube version with some nice graphics. (I watched it and there is nothing offensive in it. However, as with all things on youtube... there is no telling what else might be available from that page.)
Thanks for posting this link. I watched it too and it's really cute. I know my ds will love it.

Julie - Staff

Apple Head Dolls, Apple Bread

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:34 pm

Poohbee wrote:I had checked out a children's book from the library called The Apple Doll, by Elisa Kleven. It is a cute story about a girl who makes an apple head doll. In the back of the book, it gives instructions for making one.
Postby MelissaM » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:34 pm
Oh, I'm sorry to barge in, but Elisa Kleven! I see you're doing K too. You're probably past this point, but she's also written a book called Sun Bread which is wonderful. I discovered it when my dd did K a few years ago; we've read it a few times since, and I was SO excited to do it again this year with ds. There is a recipe on the back of the book so you can make your own loaf of Sun Bread (which we didn't because of time constraints and egg allergies, but I'm thinking of ways to make it work w/o eggs, so we may still give it a go at some point. It'll be a good review.). Oh wow. Run-on much? Sorry. Anyway. You may be interested in another of her books, is all I'm saying.

I'm going to go see if my library has the book about the apple doll. :)

Postby Poohbee » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:29 pm
Melissa, thanks so much for the info. about the Sun Bread book. We just finished the sun unit last week and started the moon unit today, but there's nothing wrong with revisiting a topic! :) I'm a children's lit. nut, so the suggestion for another great book is certainly welcome! I can't remember if we read Sun Bread the first time I did K with my eldest dd, but I see that our library does have it, so I'm going to get it next time we go. Thanks again! I hope you find the Apple Doll book. It is really cute! It just happened to fit well with the art project we are doing for ECC right now, but it also fits with the K apple unit in a couple of weeks. :-)

Postby cbollin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:49 am
Melissa: can you use something like Egg Replacer for the sun bread? It's been many years since I've used that product and don't remember much about it. I just remember a young child in our co-op from about a decade ago and his mom used that all the time for stuff in baking and using rice flour.

for the benefit of those who don't have these books in your library, it looks like the author and publisher want to help you out with the recipes. That would be a fun recipe to try in MFW Adventures too
sun bread http://www.elisakleven.com/recipe.html

apple doll http://media.us.macmillan.com/teachersg ... 3808TG.pdf

Postby MelissaM » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:38 am
We might be able to use the Egg Replacer - I use it all the time, with varying results. I don't have the recipe in front of me, but I'm sort of thinking the eggs also help give the bread a golden, yellow color. (Might even use an egg wash on it...) I could use food coloring, probably. Mostly, I haven't had time to play with it yet, but maybe dh's next day off. It is a great book though. I get it out of the library every Jan or Feb - when the winter gloominess is really getting to me. It cheers us all up for a bit.

Going to check the library for the Apple Doll book - we're doing apples now. Made applesauce this a.m. - yum. :)

MuzzaBunny

Unread post by MuzzaBunny » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:47 am

The books we used for S-s-Sun were:

Bear Shadow - Frank Asch
The Sun is my Favorite Star - Frank Asch
Sun Bread - Elisa Kleven (DD liked this story a lot)
What Is the Sun? - Reeve Lindbergh
Sun Up, Sun Down - Gail Gibbons (DD's favorite. A story-style informative book. Just leave off the last page.)
Where Does the Sun Go at Night? - Mirra Ginsburg (Silly story, works against the lessons on the sun always shining)
The Sun is Always Shining Somewhere - Allan Fowler (Simple, Informative, nicely done)
Who Likes the Sun - Etta Kaner (Very good, DD and I both liked this one.)
The Sun, Our Daytime Star - Jane Moncure (My favorite. Conducive to a Creationist worldview.)
The Sun's Day - Mordecai Gerstein
Regards to the Man in the Moon - Ezra Jack Keats
The Sun, Our Nearest Star - Franklyn Branley (Requires some editting because of old-earth views but still a pretty good book.)
Bunny

kaiakai

Sun Dance

Unread post by kaiakai » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:30 pm

I stumbled upon this cute song/video a while back. Nice way to get in a little exercise, too!

You can search on The Sun Dance Kids Yoga/Music Video by Bari Koral Family Rock Band
to find it.
~Kai
http://thecatinthetree.blogspot.com
Mom to Kiira (5) and Hana (2)

kaiakai

Unread post by kaiakai » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:27 am

I just stumbled on this.. solar hot air balloons made out of trash bags!

http://www.solar-balloons.com/howto.html

Might be a little advanced, but must be fun for the little ones to watch a huge balloon rise up in the air!
Last edited by kaiakai on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Kai
http://thecatinthetree.blogspot.com
Mom to Kiira (5) and Hana (2)

carissa

Library for K!

Unread post by carissa » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:11 pm

Yodergoat wrote:I decided to try out our neighboring town's library for our first unit of MFW K. A nice, big new building. Not a single ONE of the recommended children's books or non-fiction books were there, out of a dozen choices! Not even ONE! 8O Any suggestions? (aside from ordering the literature package)
Awww...what a disappointment! :( (((Hugs))) I was looking back at my notes about the books we enjoyed adding to the first weeks of MFW-K. Maybe some of this info would be helpful...

S-s-sun
Regards to the Man in the Moon by Ezra Jack Keats --fun, imaginary trip to space, no sun mentioned
Hurry Granny Annie by Arlene Alda --okay
Sun Bread by Eliza Kleven --nice lyrical words, great illustrations, good for snowy times, too
Under the Sun by Ellen Kandoian -- liked the around-the-world theme, great illustrations
Galileo (Animated Hero Classics video series, Nest Entertainment)
Sing of the Earth and Sky: Poems about our planet and the wonders beyond by Aileen Fisher
The Sun is Always Shining Somewhere by Allan Fowler --good
All About the Sun (Schlessinger video)
Sun Up Sun Down by Gail Gibbons
Sun by Steve Tomecek --best info book, ties right in to the catchy song on YouTube, called The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas--I listened to it and typed up the fun and educational lyrics to teach it to the kids. The kids watched the video a couple times, but I didn't like the content, so I didn't let them watch it a lot...just FYI.

Week after week we found the following authors to have great on-topic books: Allan Fowler, Gail Gibbons, Jane Burton, and Ellen Pascoe (Nature Close Up series).

Maybe the librarians will warm up after seeing you several times. Or, if you ask them for help finding appropriate books, they might feel good about their expertise. Anyway, I hope your next visits go better. :) Oh, and after re-reading your posts, it's a good thing that's not the ONLY library you have access to!
Carissa in Michigan
Wife to Steve for 21 years.
Mom to ds Brendan (10), ds Caden (8) and dd Sydney (8).
We've done MFW-K, ADV, public school for 2 years, and now considering ECC :)

Truemom

Unread post by Truemom » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:18 pm

For beginning kindergartners, it may be fun to read, learn & sing "The Eency Weency Spider" or "The Itsy, Bitsy Spider" which includes S s Sun in the phrase "Out came the Sun and dried up all the rain" and also includes S s Spider (something else God made) as well as S s Spout. Both spider & spout use the "sp" consonant blend.
Might also consider incorporating observation of the process of evaporation to go along with this.

Also check out More Starfall for a free viewable version of the nursery rhyme:
http://more2.starfall.com/m/player/sele ... load.htm?f

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:40 pm

On the last day of the sun unit we made cupcakes and decorated them with candy corn like this:

I got this idea from a Simple & Delicious magazine.
Attachments
sun cupcake 1.jpg
sun cupcake 1.jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 14038 times
Last edited by psalm126mama on Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:03 pm

I got this craft idea from enchantedlearning.com - Paper plate sun with handprint rays - My daughter & son each painted the back of a paper plate yellow. Then I traced my daughters hand 4 times on orange construction paper then she traced her little brother's hand 4 times on yellow paper. She then cut the hands out by herself. After the plates were dry she taped the hands to the inside of one of the plates and then glued the other plate on top. Then we hole punched it and hung it with fishing line in our sunroom (which is where we do school).
Attachments
paper plate sun.jpg
paper plate sun.jpg (70.91 KiB) Viewed 14032 times
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:04 pm

Mister Roger's Neighborhood on Amazon on demand - free with Amazon Prime or $1.99 per episode

Season 1993, Ep. 7 "#1667 - Then and Now - A Visit with a Shadow Artist"
"A shadow artist delights Mister Rogers with animal silhouettes he creates using his hands. Mister Rogers shows a factory tour of how people make light bulbs. In Make-Believe, the neighbors are thinking about shadows too."
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi, MFW K Moms,

Great website (by Focus on the Family) about the miraculous make-up of Spiders.

>> http://www.jellytelly.com/video/eight-legged-engineer/

Enjoy!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

HouseofCockrell

Unread post by HouseofCockrell » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:15 pm

"Sparkle bottles" are a really fun craft idea for the sun unit and very simple, not to mention cheap! Take any empty, clear bottle (water bottles are good, especially ones with a WIDE mouth!) and fill 3/4 of the way full with light corn syrup. Add a handful of sequins, glitter, or other sparkly things (might use a funnel to cut down on "sparkle" mess), then fill the rest of the way with water. Add two or three drops of yellow food coloring then screw the lid on TIGHT! I even recommend hot gluing the lid on, just in case! Shake it up and watch your sun sparkle!! :) My son loves this and you can do these in any color, just use different color food coloring. Also good for teaching color-mixing, just add two primary colors and see what you get!
I'm Lauren married to my best friend, Mark, since 2005.
Mommy to ds, born 2008 and dd, born 2011.
Once upon a time, I began a teaching career, then left to be a stay-at-home mom. That's when my education really began...:-)

HouseofCockrell

Unread post by HouseofCockrell » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:31 pm

We just finished the sun unit and started the moon today, and I am a little behind on the weather chart I intended to start last week... However, we got it going yesterday and we are using a homemade pictograph on a bulletin board we have in our living room. We have a weather chart posted where my ds can place the spinner on the appropriate type of weather and he also makes a card showing sunny, cloudy, or rainy (we decided to start simple). He places his card under the right weather category and at the end of two weeks, we will gather the data and fill out a weather chart worksheet I came up with. I chose to make one, though I am sure there are tons of already-made printables available online, because I couldn't find any that lined up exactly with the data we would be collecting... Anyway, the worksheet is simple, asking questions like How many sunny/rainy/cloudy days were there? and Why were there no snowy days on your chart? I also added a T-chart allowing him to compare what you can do on sunny and rainy days. If anyone wants it, I would be happy to email what I came up with, but like I said there are tons already available online, I just tailored this one to my ds! :)
I'm Lauren married to my best friend, Mark, since 2005.
Mommy to ds, born 2008 and dd, born 2011.
Once upon a time, I began a teaching career, then left to be a stay-at-home mom. That's when my education really began...:-)

kewkew34

Unread post by kewkew34 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:05 am

I shared my Muffin Tin ideas for Creation last week. This week we are learning about S and the Sun, so here is my idea for a muffin tin. I struggled, wanting to be able to somehow show a model of the sun. I decided to have the girls help build a cross section view of the sun. In addition we had Chicken and Stars soup (the sun is a star after all) and we had salad.
To make the sun I used a piece of bread (I thought about using a tortilla too late to go get some, but it would have worked a whole lot better).
I put some peanut butter onto the bread and on the edges I spread Fluff (it was supposed to represent the corona of the sun.
Then I sliced up some cantaloupe and they got one circle that would represent the outer layer of the sun.
I used canned sliced pineapple for the next layer.
Then we finished it off with a circle of mozzarella cheese.
Would love to share a picture but I don't know how.
Here is the link to my blog post if you would like to see how it turned out:
http://totsandme.blogspot.com/2012/09/m ... s-sun.html
Karen-Wife to Harold for 7 yrs
Mom to
Steven-21 grad of PS, Floyd-19 working on GED, Krystal-16 lives with her dad and in PS
Tabitha-6 started K Aug 2012
Amelia-4 1/2 tagging along in K
Hannah-3 Pre K and Letter of the Week
Harold III- 1