# 1 - Sun

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

# 1 - Sun

Unread post by Marie » Wed May 05, 2004 2:23 pm

Lesson # 1 Sun

Cathy

Jesus is the Light of the World

Unread post by Cathy » Fri May 21, 2004 7:41 am

Author: Cathy
Date: 8/25/2003

My dd, 4.5y, also loves MFW. We started a couple weeks ago. My dd loves reading her Creation book to any new person that walks in our door. ;o)

I think the best thing so far is in Lesson 1 Sun -- Jesus is the Light of the World. Well, this weekend, my 3 yo ds said he was scared and my dd told him not to be afraid because Jesus was the light of the world and would take care of him. I just about cried.

Just an FYI: Speaking of Lessons 1 and 2, there is a video series called Space Science for Children which includes 5 titles:

All About the Sun, All About the Moon, All About Stars, All About Earth, and All About the Planets.
Schlessinger Media
23 minutes
Call letters: J 523.3

We watched the Sun one last week, and my dd really got into it, much more than from the encyclopedia. It also showed about making a sun dial (which is an activity in MFW) and an outdoor oven. My dd must be a visual person like me and she also wanted to do the oven which we did and which was perfect because it was 106 degrees that day. We heated up a muffin and tried to cook an egg. It was a fun experiment (and no the egg didn't cook, but it was fun to try). Anyway, we watched the video on Stars too since the Sun is a star. Today, we watched the Moon one. These 3 videos did really well in explaining things in kid terms and also motivated my dd.

Blessings for a good school year,
Cathy

Lindsay

Books on the Sun

Unread post by Lindsay » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:36 pm

I am doing MFW K with my 5 year old and my 1st grader, so we are supplementing. These are some books we checked out from the library that we enjoyed! We don't have encyclopedias, so we used the non-fiction books below.

Non-fiction:
*** Fun With the Sun by Melissa Stewart; 31 pages
Very fun! Lots of info, easy to understand and lots of EASY, SHORT experiments to demonstrate the principles in the book.

Sun by Steve Tomecek; 31 pages
put out by National Geographic Society

Sun, Moon and Stars (Usborne Beginners) by Stephanie Turnball; 31 pages

The Sun Our Nearest Star by Franklin M. Branley; 25 pages

Fiction:
Hello Sun! by Hans Wilhelm; 29 pages

Hurry Granny Annie by Arlene Alda; 29 pages
(hurrying to see the sunset)

Sun and Moon by Marcus Pfister; 24 pages
(author of Rainbow Fish?) ficticious account of total eclipse

Blessings,
Lindsay

MichelleD

Unread post by MichelleD » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:12 pm

I wanted to add another great book we just read for information on the sun:

Sun Up, Sun Down by Gail Gibbons. Bright, colorful and nice simple text.

There is a "factoid" on the very back page (not really part of the story) that claims the sun is 5 billion years old. I just didn't read that part. ;-)

Michelle D.

Kim in MI

fun with shadows

Unread post by Kim in MI » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:07 pm

We had fun comparing shadows at different times of the day. We traced my daughter's feet in one spot on the driveway using sidewalk chalk. At different times throughout the day we traced her shadow, each time with her standing in that same spot. It was really cool to see where the shadow was each time and how big it was at certain times. I wish I had thought to do this when my oldest did MFWK.

jenkinsinpa

more shadow fun!

Unread post by jenkinsinpa » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:02 pm

We acted out the Bear Shadow book outside, in the afternoon with long shadows. My son had the most fun I could remember as we played a game of Shadow Tag...my shadow chasing his, then his chasing mine. He remembered in order what Bear did to 'escape' his shadow, and we pretended to pound nails, hid behind trees, climbed a fence, etc...it was delightful to have so much fun TOGETHER!!! I think I often don't take the time to play WITH my children...I like lists, and Marie's lists to play with him, take walks, etc make me actually DO IT! A spiritual tie-in: as yoou try to escape your shadow, remind your dc that we can never hide from God! He is always right with us, thankfully!

Lisa Dickinson

styrofoam SUN!

Unread post by Lisa Dickinson » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:20 pm

We did this today with snowflakes; but I think it would work great making a SUN!

styrofoam ball paint yellow/orange.

glittery chenille sticks--have child poke the orange and yellow alternating chenille strips around the styrofoam ball to make a SUN!

Lisa Dickinson
Colorado

Charlotte

Unread post by Charlotte » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:30 am

Here is the link for a really cute and simple "Sun" craft my son and I are going to try next week....

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/paperplate/sun/

Blessings, Charlotte

starshine

bear shadow

Unread post by starshine » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:06 am

on book day, while you are playing with shadows, trace their shadows with sidewalk chalk and let them fill in the face, clothes, etc

pamok

Another song for the sun study

Unread post by pamok » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:14 pm

All week while we were studying the sun, we would start our day by singing "Rise and Shine" - It's a peppy little song that my ds (5) really likes. It was his idea too.

DEP from MO

Sunprint Kit

Unread post by DEP from MO » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:58 pm

We added this in for our art/nature walk studies during the "sun" lesson. It was a big hit! We collected items during our nature walk or just in the yard. Then you lay the paper on cardboard and place your items on the paper. We had the small kit which included twelve 10 by 10cm sheets of paper. The paper goes through a chemical change when exposed to the sunlight. Once it turns mostly white, you take your objects off and rinse in water for about 1 minute. Then you let them dry. We ended up with really neat nature prints of leaves, flowers, pine cones, and acorns that we are going to use to make greeting cards. I ordered mine from Montessori (had pretty slow shipping), but I have seen it in a few other catalogs. The kids really enjoyed doing it.

HTH,
Dena

2lilreds

Sun Idea

Unread post by 2lilreds » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:47 pm

We are doing Sun this week, and read in our book "Sun" by Steve Tomecek that you could put 109 Earths across the sun. So, we put 109 pennies in a line across our kitchen floor, and put one penny next to the line to show how much bigger the sun is than Earth. The kids had a great time lining up the pennies. We took a picture and everything!
Wife to Todd since 1995
Mom to Emma (2000), and Abigail (2001)

kenziekylanmom

Noodle fun

Unread post by kenziekylanmom » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:50 am

This may sound too easy for some children but my children loved it today! We took a large piece of yellow construction paper and glued different types of noodles to it to form a sun...rotini noodles for the rays, the wheel shaped noodles for the eyes, etc and then we spray painted it a golden color. It was a lot of fun!

Jennifer W
Mommy to Kenzie 6- Korea
and Kylan 5-Korea

Mom2MnS

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Fri May 04, 2007 4:44 pm

Here are a few of our very favorite reads from s s sun :)

Hurry Granny Annie by Arlene Alda
Like Butter on Pancakes by Jonathan London
Sun Bread by Elisa Kleven
What the Sun Sees What the Moon Sees by Nancy Tafuri
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16

HappyMommy

Unread post by HappyMommy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:21 am

"Art Appreciation" has always been a passion of mine --- For the "Sun" unit, I found four paintings online, printed them out (4 to a page), cut them and laminated them. The images I used are:

Claude Monet - Sunrise
Vincent Van Gogh - Landscape with Rising Sun
Edvard Munch - The Sun
Atelier - Rising Sun

They are varied styles of painting, and it's fun to share with DS the different ways that the sun is portrayed. It's also a great way to begin exposing him to famous artists and their works. I don't "drill" him on the pictures, but we have a fun discussion (I mention the names, etc - but it's mostly looking at the colors, the people/scenery, and whatnot)

I am hoping to have quite a collection of art cards for my son to browse when we have completed all the units!

Kirsty

Great Sun book

Unread post by Kirsty » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:53 am

Hi

My library had none of the books recommended in MFW or on this message board (except the non-fictions). So I finally managed to find a book, and we loved it. It has no words, and every page is a watercolor of the same scene - with more light as the sun rises. As the sun rises there are different 'sub-plots' of people and creatures doing things - with some absurdities added in for fun. We loved this book.

Sunrise by Colin Robinson

Ericalee

Unread post by Ericalee » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:07 pm

I found a great book to read on day 5 of Sun week.

The book is titled Under the Sun By Ellen Kandoian. It is about a little girl asking her mom where the sun goes when she goes to sleep. The mom answers with the journey of the sun around the world, starting on the U.S. East Coast, and ending up in Russia.

mom2h

Unread post by mom2h » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:42 pm

We are just starting the S-s Sun Unit and I found a video on "Galileo" at our library. It is from the "Animated Hero Classics" from Nest Family Video. Good biographical pre-history information.

mom2h

Julie - Staff

HELP WITH RAISINS

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:39 am

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:33 pm
Author: mrs_mike98

It does work, but it took ours about 2 weeks of direct GA sun to actually become raisins. We charted for the first week while the biggest changes were taking place (turning brown, wrinkling) but stopped as they got to just the shrinking phase. :-) They looked the same, just got smaller.

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:46 pm
Author: Daisy

That is how they make raisins here in the great central valley of CA; raisin capital of the world. They pick the grapes and lay them on material in long rows. You can see them laying out there for a week or so. It doesn't take as long here because our humidity is almost always less then 19%.

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:27 pm
Author: Poohbee

Ahhh...no wonder it took about a month for our grapes to become just partial raisins. We live in North Dakota! LOL And we were making grapes during our cool September and October months. Guess it would help to have more heat and more sun!

We were still observing our raisins into the 3rd and 4th units, I think. But, they did change...shriveled quite a bit and got darker in color. And, each day we looked at them and my dd drew a picture of what they looked like in her notebook. So, even if the grapes never truly did become raisins, she could see the changes they underwent and she could see that they would become raisins eventually!

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:05 am
Author: kellybell

Ahhh, the s-s-sun project. Fond memories.

The grapes shriveled right up for my ds and it took about 10 days. Each day we diligently put out the grapes in the sun (they were on a little plastic kiddy plate) and each night we brought them in and looked at them.

Fast forward two years to the same experience with my dd. Each day, we put the grapes in the sun and each evening we brought them in to see how much they had shriveled. Round about day 5 or 6 or so, we somehow forgot to bring them in.

The next morning, some critter had licked the plate clean and there were no more raisins, just little spots on the white plate where they had been.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:43 am
Author: cbollin

One idea for the raisins that I heard somewhere (maybe on this board)... someone put theirs in the dashboard of the car since the car was usually parked in the driveway.

I remember going to a friend's house who had a grapevine and we looked at their grapes late in the summer as a review time. Maybe it doesn't have to be grapes to raisins this time of year for you --maybe there are some peppers or tomatoes growing that would work to explain the same concepts and you could just start to make the graphs and charts now so that it will be ready in a few weeks. Just an idea that popped in my mind as I put Sun Dried tomatoes on my grocery list this week <grin>

-crystal

cbollin

Using MFW K with autism child

Unread post by cbollin » Sat May 17, 2008 2:53 pm

How much is just enough factual information to teach a K age child?

I have a book suggestion for the Day 1 of the Sun unit when you teach basic factual information.

It is called Who Likes the Sun? by Etta Kaner. As a long time homeschooling mom, I look back a bit and wonder what would have been good to know for trying to teaching in terms of how much is age appropriate in terms of factual knowledge and how much is just enough to answer their questions of Why???? I tended to do too much and tried to make oldest a college kid. sigh.

This book Who Likes the Sun? will help set the stage for "just enough" and "age appropriate" and even add a tiny bit of vocabulary
words too. And then it will keep a new homeschooling mom from over teaching and making the mistakes that I made. and it will even help for the one activity where you try to make raisins from grapes if you go with that activity. (you can substitute with the ones called Alternative activities if you don't live in a sunny place.)

Another great library book for the Sun unit (and maybe the moon unit a little bit) is The Sun Is Always Shining Somewhere, by Allan Fowler. This book will help to explain in simple age appropriate terms why the stars at night look small and the sun is big, but the sun looks like the same size as the full moon??? Those are hard concepts and this book really helps. It will add just enough information to the hands on activities in the MFW K program.

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun May 18, 2008 1:52 pm

We decided to use Bear's Shadow for our literature book for the Sun unit. We've read it each day of the unit so far because my 6 y.o autistic dd likes to listen to stories over and over again. Our library had it the book and also an audio recording.

Thought of an activity to do along with the story.

Taking some golf tees and a play hammer. hammer the golf tees (pretend they are nails) into styrofoam packing material in the shape of some kind of object's shadow. Maybe we'll even hammer out the "nails" into the S shape????

it's like art, story time and sensory integration all in one. maybe I can homeschool my autism child afterall :)

oooh.... I'm heading to the basement to go play

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbollin

Cloudy Day ideas for Sun unit

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:19 am

FreshKid wrote:We started Lesson 1 Sun on Monday. It was overcast that day. So, when we went swimming that evening, I explained that the water was cold because the sun wasn't out to warm it up. As of 10 a.m. today, we received 3 inches of rain in 27 hours. So, while we are thankful for the rain, how do you do SUN things in rainy weather? We used the flashlight with the globe to do some things. Our grapes are on the dashboard of the car with no sun. That will just take longer to do. We'll make a sundial and sun tea when we have sun. I thought about doing the sundial and shadow idea inside with a flashlight, but I think it will be better outside with the real sun over a day or so. We'll make sun bread (based on the book SUN BREAD) when my husband gets home from a business trip to share it with us.

What else is there for rainy weather?

As a side note: the rain came down harder as DS was cutting out his "S" for today's cut and paste activity and he said, "Storm." Another /s/ word. :) He's getting it!!!!
Here are some of the things that we had to do on rainy days on Sun Unit:

*used the alternate activities listed at the end of the unit (those are found just after Literature Day stuff) -- so you could do the noodle art instead of sun tea or sun dial, or wait a day or two to get it done. You could make the sun dial on the rainy day and wait until the sun comes out. And just keep a weather chart until it does.

*our grape turned to a raisin while not being in the sun at all!!!! It wasn't even part of what we were trying to do either. My youngest took a bunch of grapes that we had for eating, and put them in a dark, warm cabinet. I found them later. Well, one individual grape came lose and I didn't find it until a week later. It was shrinking!!! So, I put it on my bookcase near the computer and let it finish. Never gets sun there. So, it really surprised me that even in a warm (air conditioned) house, that it changed. It's just wild!!!

*Played shadow chase with flashlights and gooseneck style desk lamps.

*Do literature day out of order if needed.

and that's a great story that he caught on about S S storm !!! cool!

-crystal

cbollin

Re: On what website did you find these paintings?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:31 pm

MommaSunshine wrote: Hey!! I really LOVE your idea of introducing art appreciation at an early age. But I was wondering what website did you go to to print these out for FREE. Thanks a bunch!!

Melissa :)
Melissa,

I don't know if Happymommy is still on the board or not from her post a little over a year ago. Maybe she is in lurk mode or something.

You might want to just use those artists and paintings as search terms in google or other search engine. I just tried all 4 of them right now and lots of options to view those paintings on line. Have fun surfing real quick to get a quick look at those images of the paintings.

Hope that helps.

also in MFW 1st grade -- there are 2 art appreciation books in the deluxe package for more art appreciation next year :)

-crystal

MommaSunshine

Thanks!

Unread post by MommaSunshine » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:34 pm

Hey Crystal!!

Thanks for your reply. And thanks for letting me know that you did, indeed find some websites that I could use. I did get my "searches" for those paintings to finally work. I discoverd some paintings that I was able to "right click" on and "save image" onto my computer. And thanks for mentioning that there's more art appreciate to come in MFW1. :) Have a wonderful night!

Melissa L. :)

kellybell

Cloudy Day ideas for Sun unit

Unread post by kellybell » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:05 am

Oh, I sort of like surprises like that (a cloudy, rainy week when S-S-Sun is supposed to be the star). Okay, it's not how you pictured the week when you read the TM in July, BUT it can be a fun week. In a few years, when you are wrapped up in the gore of WWII, you can say, "Do you remember the week we were supposed to study the sun and it poured?"

Anyway, here are some things you can do to make it a great s-s-school week.

1. Put on your bright floral Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses. Spread out a beach blanket and pretend you are in the sun (as you hear the sump pump in the basement working against the rain).

2. Write a story about when the sun took a week off.

3. Create sunny food. Surely you can make a sun out of pineapple slices, star fruit, cake mix or something.

4. Have a sunshine party with your little K friends. Invite them over for "it's sunny in our basement party" complete with yellow balloons. Give kites (should be on clearance about now) for favors and play games with beach balls.

5. Sing S-s-sun songs (You are my Sunshine or Barney's Mr. Sun).

6. And, remember that the s-s-lesson is about Jesus being the light of the world. You might want to point out that the rain in our lives don't extinguish the sun but the sun might seem a little more distant. Or, discuss sin. We're reading Patricia St. John's Rainbow Garden and tonight the dad in the family in the story said that our sin is like clouds that get between the earth and God. God is still there beyond the clouds but we might feel cold and wet.

Have a good time with the unexpected storms.

Don't get s-s-soaked.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).