Phonics - Ideas for phonics in God's Creation from A to Z

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

Phonics - Ideas for phonics in God's Creation from A to Z

Unread post by Marie » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:38 pm

Please share your ideas for enriching phonics in My Father's World From A to Z

kellybell

Ideas for reviewing words

Unread post by kellybell » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:58 pm

mom wrote:Does anyone have ideas for teaching the sight words introduced in MFW K? I'm on Lesson 10 - the letter W and noticed the sight word - the - is introduced. Thanks in advance for some fun!! ideas - she's young so the activities that are hands on and very fun are most appropriate.
Stephanie
I do this for both sight words and phonetic words (or whatever the opposite of sight word is...).

I got a pack of index cards and a box to fit them. I put one word on each card (we currently have about fifty cards, and we're on z-z-zebra) and each day we get out a few cards and she reads them to me, eating a miniature chocolate chip for each word.

I've got cards for the phonetic words (egg, Dan, Pam, sat, it, etc.) as well as sight words (the). I'm noticing that many of the "sound it out words" are changing into sight words for her. So, she can just look at "dog" and say "dog" without going through all three sounds! Yeah.

When it comes to sight words that aren't phonetic, just simply say, "This is the word the." Show the card (paper, whatever) with "the" on it. When you encounter "the" simply say, "Oh, that's the again." Finally, it sinks in.

Since your child knows (or will soon) t-t-turtle, h-h-horse and e-e-elephant, he might actually try to sound out "the" and come up with /t//h//e/ which is wrong. If he does this, simply explain that h is a really friendly letter that likes to hang out with other letters and when they get together they like to do brand new things. So instead of th saying the t sound followed by the h sound, they like to make a new sound of /th/. H also likes to hang out with s and c and p to make new sounds. My daughter asked once what letter made the sound /sh/ and I just told her it was an s and a h together and they like doing new things. She's got a PH in her name (Stephanie) and the p and the h when they get together like to make the f sound.

You don't have to do this index card thing, but you might like to try. My dd gets overwhelmed when there are "a lot" of words on a page. But, she's fine reading one word at a time. So, when we get to the story pages in MFWK, I simply make sure we've got card for each word and we read the words one at a time and then, after I remind her that she just read all the words for the story, she's got the confidence to tackle the story with "all those words."

HTH
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Tina

Re: Ideas for reviewing words

Unread post by Tina » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:27 pm

Hi Stephanie: I also ditto what Kelley did. We used a lot of index cards for sight words and words sounded phonetically. My ds was very much into the hands on games explained in the back of TM (hmmm, I think its K that has that, it might be 1st, but I do think it is the K curriculum) where you use index cards to play games, etc. We played match up games. We played tossing a penny into muffin tins (with words on index cards) and which ever muffin tin the penny landed in, ds or myself would read the word. We did a lot of this. He really liked it. It took a while for sight words to "sink in" for him. He tried sounding them out for a long time (the, as, when, where, etc) but, eventually he got them.

imo, take your time with it. If you need to play lots of games and give lots of pieces of popcorn or mini-chocolate chips or M&Ms, its okay. Have fun with them and enjoy the games!
Tina, homeschooling mother of Laura (1996), Jacob (1998) and Tucker (2003) In MO
"One of the greatest blessings of heaven is the appreciation of heaven on earth. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."--JIM ELLIOT

Rebecca

Alphabet Song

Unread post by Rebecca » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:15 pm

Cheryl wrote:This has got to be the silliest question in the world, but if I do not get this right in my head, I can't proceed!

The song where you sing "A-a-apple, B-b-butterfly, etc."--how does that sound? I mean, I know the Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star Tune, but when I sing through this song, it seems awkward. Does anyone know what I am talking about? When i sing it I get through the tune about 2-1/2 times...I told you this was silly. lol

If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it!
Author: Rebecca
Date: 6/14/2004

Cheryl,

You are right, it does go through the tune more than once. Also, I am not a musician but I am pretty sure that the beat is a little different than the original. It really helps to sing it with the teacher's manual because the punctuation and lines help to show where the pauses are.
The song is a great tool once you gets the hang of it. My dd would hum through to the letter she was trying to figure out when sounding out words for most of the year! She is very auditory.

Blessings,
Rebecca

JenniferF

Alphabet Song

Unread post by JenniferF » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:05 am

Author: Jennifer F.
Date: 6/15/2004

Yes, It is sung through about 2 1/2-3 times. I think some of the longer words (i.e. butterfly and dinosaur) and throw it off sometimes. And we never end on the same note to continue the last night of the song. But the girls enjoy it. My almost 3yo dd begs to keep doing it over and over! :)
Jennifer

cbollin

A-a-Apple Song

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:08 pm

karlafoisy wrote:Does anyone have a recorded version of this song that we could borrow? Youtube, maybe? My kids are so much more motivated to sing when there is music playing with them. Even if it is just your kids singing it, it would help. Thanks.
Not exactly. But on this link
http://www.starfall.com/n/level-k/song-abcs/load.htm?f
you can get a good idea of how it could be song. The idea is more the rhythm of song the and not exactly fitting it to Twinkle Twinkle. Go to the link and click on the flashing ABC letters

With the A A apple song in MFW, you just say the sound twice and then the word that matches the flashcard. But I think the song on starfall is what helped my youngest child and me to be able to sing the song in MFW. on ttarfall they say Letter Name Letter Sound word
in mfw it is /letter sound/ /letter sound/ /word/

have to update this to link to a blog post by someone out there....
a precious sweet version of the MFW song as sung by "jenna"
http://treasuresunseen.blogspot.com/201 ... -song.html

MrsRobinson wrote: Thank you for linking to my little one singing the A A Apple song! I need to get a newer video, because now the 2 year old can sing it pretty good!
Blessings!
Melanie
Posted Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:38 pm by cbollin
Melanie, I'm sorry I blanked on your name and glad it's ok with you. (if you weren't comfy, I'd remove it in a heartbeat's notice per request.) I just appreciated it so much how your dd didn't have to have it perfect. It's just that smile and all of it.

-crystal
MrsRobinson wrote:Crystal,
Absolutely no problem!! I appreciate you being so sweet about our video. I love to hear them sing it. I'll try to update the video and when I do I will post it here.
Melanie
Last edited by cbollin on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbollin

Phonics - Ideas for phonics in My Father's World From A to Z

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:35 pm

Here are some things I do with the phonics section for my child who was ahead of the curve in reading, but using MFW K because of her age:
I modify the existing activities for an early reading student to focus on pre spelling and handwriting:
It will make so much more sense when you have the actual manual and detailed instructions in front of you.

Day 1 of phonics
*Step. 1 – say the sound and trace the letter.
*Step. 2 – show the card and introduce science topic
*Step 3 – do the song if they want to. One suggestion – mix up the flashcards and let them just say the sound without singing the song.
Learning those sounds in random order really helps with spelling. Or, you can chose an alternative activity for flashcards based on the
flashcard activity card that has ideas on it.
*Step 4. Picture cards – becomes a time to sort the cards and practice tracing the letter that it starts with. I have my child cut the
pictures, but she doesn't want to color them, so we don't bother to color them. But we still do the cutting and the tracing as that is
geared for writing and fine motor. So, don't skip the tracing with the textured letter. Then I set out several envelopes and we remove the pictures and play a game to sort them back quickly. First, we get the envelopes in their alphabetical order. Then we sort the pictures back in there. It seems simple, but it is good practice for sorting and is early dictionary and phone book skills.
On the Day 1 picture cards, instead of tossing the card with just the letter on it, we take that card and glue it on the front of the envelope for that letter.
Step 5 – no change needed for reading child.

Day 2 of Phonics
*Step 1 – use the song, but modify the words to emphasize that the sound is in the middle of the word. Again, this is an important spelling foundation step.
Example, I change the final lyrics to "it's in the middle of the word."
Then, you should try it with other words that rhyme with the key words given. And then step it up a notch. Call out a short vowel word and ask your child to tell you the sound they hear in the middle of the word. In other words, it's a small spelling test done orally. :-)
Ask them to tell you the sound at the end of the word.
Ask them to tell you the sound at the beginning.

*Step 2: no change needed for reading child
*Step 3 – see ideas from day 1 for envelope alphabet order, and tracing. Don't skip the tracing.
*Step 4 – no real change needed for reading child. But you can take it up a notch and have them also identify the last sound of the word and write the letter in the box with the picture.

Day 3
*Step 1 – choose an alternative flashcard activity from the card in the flashcard set. Or pull several cards out and play where in the alphabet does it go? In the first half, or second half?

*Step 2 work on tracing
*Step 3 – work on tracing the syllables instead of just reading them.
Always look for the handwriting opportunity or spelling opportunity when they can already read the syllables or words or stories. You call out a syllable sound and have them put the textured letters on the ladder.
*Step 4 – no change for reading kid
*Step 5 – cut and paste, and/or have them write it in the box
*Step 6 – enjoy playing the game even with a reading child. no change needed.

Day 4
*Step 1 turn it into a game, or skip
*Step 2 – if they can read the word, just have them spell it with textured letters after you call out the word.
*Step 3 – see step 2. and still do the writing part of dictation
*Step 4 – no real change is needed for reading student. Focus on the ability to follow instructions.
*Step 5 – enjoy playing

Day 5
*Step 1, see earlier notes in this post about modifying the song
*Step 2, no real change for reading child
*Step 3 – no real change for reading child.

Day 6 of phonics -- remember to do the Cuisenaire alphabet book and the music CD.

For extra practice in phonics as the year progresses, we've found it fun to use starfall.com
to help with more visual and audio with phonics. my child with autism likes it, and so did my middle child.

Also, on starfall.com they have an a/a/ alphabet song. That song helped us to understand the A/A apple song in MFW better. same idea to be chanted/sung to twinkle twinkle
For math - my suggestion for kids who need more -- do more real life applications (talking about math while cooking, cleaning, etc), and do the alphabet pattern book with the c. rods.
When I did MFW K with my middle gal, I started off during MUS Primer -- it was in my house. I was familiar with it. Then, as I got into MFW K, I realized -- this the same stuff in the workbook -- why should I duplicate it? So I just did MFW K, added in fun games in math, talked about concepts.

I hope some of those ideas help to beef it up for an early reading child.
-crystal

2mymasuly

Re: Phonics - Ideas for phonics in My Father's World From A to Z

Unread post by 2mymasuly » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:55 am

We have found an additional phonics resource to use each unit study.

The Sound Box Library book series by author Jane Belk Monroe.

i.e. My "a" Sound Box
My "b" Sound Box, etc

My dd has enjoyed the book and listening for the beginning letter sounds.

TheLordisAwesome

letters

Unread post by TheLordisAwesome » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:19 pm

!? Whenever my son carefully writes a letter (capital and lower case) or word on the chalkboard or in a tray of cornmeal (from his bother's spelling) we take a picture of it. So, at the end of the year we'll put together all of the printed photos in a collage or something and put it into a page protector in his binder. :-)

jasntas

Phonics - Ideas for phonics in My Father's World From A to Z

Unread post by jasntas » Sun May 02, 2010 9:34 pm

Things we have done this year to beef up or just customize MFW K for my dd. (this is in addition to and sometimes in place of the program as written):

Day 1

Step 3. Tape letter on the front of the envelope. Then after scheduled Picture Cards activity is done, take all envelopes used so far, mix them up and lay them out on a table or floor and let child put them in alphabetical order with help if needed.

Day 2

Step 2. After demonstrating the proper way to form the letter or number, allow child to use a salt tray to practice letter and number before writing it on the handwriting page. (My dd hated tracing the letters with her finger but loved the salt tray and also didn't mind practicing her letters/numbers/words on a personal sized white board.)

After writing the number on an index card, lay them out on a table or floor out of order and have child put them in numeric order with help if needed.

Day 3

Step 4. Math Page. If child doesn't want to draw pictures, use stickers. (Or you could also use tiny rubber stamps or stencils or bingo daubers, etc. For my dd, stickers were the medium of choice.) If using stickers, have child decide what number to use and pick which stickers to use. (We usually use stickers that go along with the unit we are on at the time or I let her choose. I am always on the look out for the $1 stickers at Target, Michaels, etc.) My dd even made the sheet into math problems. For example: X# of big butterfly stickers + X# of small butterfly stickers =. (That was her own idea.)

Day 4

After Step 1. Have the child name the letter before and the letter after the letter you are currently on.

Day 5

Step 2 Drawing Page. If child doesn't care to draw, reuse the Cut and Paste page from day 3. (Or make a copy of day 3 page. I hope that is permissible.) Have child pick 4 of the 6 pictures from the day 3 page and cut them out and glue the picture to the Day 5 worksheet. Then write the word below it. (We also used stickers, rubber stamps and stencils in lieu of drawing but my dd liked this method best as it became difficult to find the right stickers, etc. for the words she wanted to use and she usually didn‘t want to draw it.)

Step 3. Lessons 15-26. At first my dd felt a bit overwhelmed with the whole page story so for a while I cut them apart and stapled them together like a book.

Day 6

Cuisenaire Rods Alphabet Book

An alphabet maze book. Have child do the maze for the letter you are currently on.

A dot to dot book. Up to 10 for first 10 units. Up to 25 after that to reinforce number sequence and recognition.

Beginning dictionary skills. (We have a "My First Dictionary" with lots of pictures.) Teach child how to find the section with the letter you are currently on. Then let child find a picture of the subject you are currently learning about. (My dd does this completely on her own now. The dictionary we use had all but 1 or 2 of the subjects we studied in K. If a picture of our current subject wasn’t there then I would just give her an alternate picture to find.)

We also added in easy K addition/subtraction up to 10 math pages once or twice a week as well.

My dd would also read easy readers usually daily. But sometimes she would hit a rut and need to slow down so I let her lead on that.

Some of the books we used in addition to the stories included in K:

Now I'm Reading Level 1 books by Nora Gaydos (There are 2 sets of level 1 and 1 level 1 advanced set )
Bob Books Set 1
I Can Read Biscuit Phonics Fun set
Dr. Maggie’s Phonics Readers Set 1
Starfall Learn to Read set. (The first 5 books feature short vowel sounds only.)

We also used the books from the Hooked on Phonics K program because we already had them.

Most if not all of these books only featured short vowel sounds and a few sight words.

I hope some of these ideas are helpful to others or even spark some new ideas.

We have thoroughly enjoyed MFW K and how flexible it is. It has truly been a blessing in our home.
Last edited by jasntas on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

cbollin

Help executing the Kindergarten curriculum

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:12 pm

mtnmama wrote:We started the Kindergarten program and made it through the first ten days great. Then when we hit the lessons on the moon and sun. What should I do about these?
1) Handwriting-- my son just turned five and I think I've decided to put this off until the spring. He can write his letters, just not on the small space available on the handwriting sheets. But I can push it if it would be good for him.
2) Picture cards-- he is already learning to read. Are they useful anyway?
It is ok that your year starts off slowly. don't worry about that. It's kindy year. It's ok. It gets longer over time. It's ok to build slowly. It's like taking a group exercise class. You don't start out the first routine at the "top of the aerobic" curve but you get there really fast! Those warm up are worth it!

Handwriting: I would suggest on the worksheets at this point, you could finger trace the letters first, then let him trace the letters after you have done them to help teach him to adjust the size. Remember that there are a lot of "multi sensory" style of handwriting exercises in the K program such as tracing with the Lauri letters, and writing in salt tray (or other things mentioned on step 5 of day 1 phonics routines). Another idea is to borrow a technique that an occupational therapist did with my youngest: your hand over their hand to guide them to learn the spacing. Now, my daughter practiced all year and got better as the year went on. While working on hand over hand with her, we would say the words in the handwriting guide as that helped her to process where to start and stop on the lines. check out around pages 33-38 (in my edition) of the K teacher's manual. It should have all of those scripts. In my print edition, those scripts come right after the day 6 phonics, and are in the "yellow pages"

Picture cards: I think they are useful for pre spelling helps in gentle ways to learn how to listen for first letter. It seems simple, but it is useful. Also, they are great for building fine motor skills if you let your child do the cutting. And they are a hidden way to work with handwriting sizes when you do the part with the lauri letters.
Another idea for those picture cards if you and your child are interested:

Picture cards – becomes a time to sort the cards and practice tracing the letter that it starts with. I have my child cut the pictures, but she doesn't want to color them, so we don't bother to color them. But we still do the cutting and the tracing as that is geared for writing and fine motor. So, don't skip the tracing with the textured letter. Then I set out several envelopes and we remove the pictures and play a
game to sort them back quickly. First, we get the envelopes in their alphabetical order. Then we sort the pictures back in there. It seems simple, but it is good practice for sorting and is early dictionary and phone book skills.

just a few ideas to get started. If you need other beef up ideas for phonics, check out this thread
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 179#p47744

-crystal

Tx2mum

Re: Help executing the Kindergarten curriculum

Unread post by Tx2mum » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:29 pm

My dd is "technically" not old enough for K, so parts are a little ahead of her abilities (like the writing). I feel like if I do a little tweaking, and continue on that it'll all level out after while.

So for her handwriting, we do the finger-tracing of the text. letter, I have her trace letters I've drawn on the handwriting page and then do a few on her own (they're only maginally good, but that's ok for now). As for the number chart, I have her hold the marker (I've laminated ours so we can use a dry-erase marker) and then I put my hand over hers and we draw the number together.

We're having fun so far (going a little slower-taking two weeks for each topic - as appropriate for her age/abilities) and she is SO excited to begin the LEAF lesson. This morning she anxiously asked me if she could PLEASE just trace the "L." ! I LOVE IT! :)

gratitude

Kindergarden Language Arts - Blending

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:30 pm

jhuarac wrote:I am curious as to how blending is taught in the curriculum. Letter sounds are first taught. How is blending taught? Is the methodology individual sound based: C-A-T --> CAT, S-I-T --> SIT; syllable-based: SA-T --> SAT, SE-T --> SET; word-family-based: S-AT --> SAT, M-AT --> MAT; or a combination? Could someone give me some insider insight on this?
Hi! We have really loved MFW! :-)

The Blending for K is taught through putting two letters together and then using syllable-based blending on two different days for each unit.

For example, the sixth thematic unit is T for turtle: I don't quit I persevere is the character taught through various activities. The letter t and t sound is taught. Then for blending (which starts with the sixth unit) the student blends the consonants s, m, n, l, t (the letters taught in units 1 - 6) with the vowel a. s-a, m-a, n-a, l-a, t-a. Then the next day the student takes sa and ta and blends it with a consonant to make sa-m, sa-n, sa-t, and ta-m, ta-n, ta-s. Each week following adds more vowels and letters to increase sound practice. The dictation / spelling starts in thematic unit 6 with the word 'sat'. By unit 15 they are spelling/ dictating 5 words per week. The reading we aren't too yet (I think it is about 1/2 way through the program).

Can I add that I looked around and this is the best phonics program I found. David Hazel mentions on one of his CDs that when Marie was still teaching public school she tried this program out (without the bible) on the worst readers in the school. The other K teacher received the best readers in the school. At the end of the year the two classes were equal. I know when I taught piano I always judeged my curriculum that I was using by the performance of my students who struggled the most (it is how I evaluated my teaching as well).

I hope this helps. The Bible integration is fabulous! Blessings! :)

jasntas

Re: Kindergarden Language Arts - Blending

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:13 am

jhuarac wrote:Thanks! This was just the info that I was looking for. It's great to hear that there is high success with the method - just what I needed. My daughter is a leftie (me too :-)) and may have some cross dominance issues, so I didn't want to make reading any more difficult if she has added issues that will play into her success with reading.

I do wonder if reading non-words such as sa-n, ta-m, ta-s ends up being hard. They reinforce the blending concept, but are not meaning-based. I have taught reading on the mission field for years, but in a language that is very syllable-based (Quechua), so the uniqueness of teaching reading in English has me mystified in a couple of areas. But, I need to bite the bullet and order some materials - I think that My Father's World is the way to go! I'm excited!

Thanks for your encouragement! Have a great day in the Lord!
Janet
I believe MFW K is a very gentle but effective tool to teach reading. A few years ago I didn't understand the teaching of nonsense words myself but I am beginning to get a better understanding. Later those nonsense words become syllables in longer words. Many kids learn to read by memorizing words so when they come to a word that has multiple syllables they struggle with it because they want to say the word in it’s entirety rather than breaking it down and sounding it out.

I don't know if I'm making any sense. This is harder to explain than I thought. I don't know how much help I was. Sorry if this is confusing. :~
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

jhuarac

Re: Kindergarden Language Arts - Blending

Unread post by jhuarac » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks for your comments - most encouraging and helpful! I didn't think beyond - that these "nonsense syllables" would eventually become syllables in longer words! Neat! (& yes, you explained yourself just fine :) ) I agree that the order of teaching the letter sounds does seem to follow some good frequency studies and I can see how important that would be to begin meaningful reading sooner. Well, time to make my MFW order!

Janet
Janet, overseas missionary (married since 2001)
mother to KP (5yo) - learning two languages simultaneously & was overwhelmed in public school
Decided to homeschool - grateful for those who've done the groundwork

gratitude

Question about MFW A-Z Lesson 6 "T" - blend ladder

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:00 pm

Tx2mum wrote:Well, we've almost reached lesson 6 and are having a great time! You should see the stellar "nest" we created this morning! ;)

I'm gearing up for the start of the blend latter, etc. I notice on Day 4 the chart says to teach "sa" and the three word for it (sam, san, sat) and "ta" and (tam, tan, tas). Are you not supposed to also teach "ma" and "la" and "na?" I do see that you add in "ma" in lesson 7 and "na" is the second part of lesson 18, but I don't see "la" at all? Am I missing it? Is it not important? Will we hit that later? Someone please enlighten me! :) Thank you! :-)
If you look at day 3 of lesson 6 you will see the two letter blends of sa, ma, la, na, and ta. Then on day 4 it builds the six 3 letter words, and as you say without using the la, na, or ma on day 4. Each unit that follows does two letter blends on day 3 and three letter blends on day 4. We are on unit 8, and it does seem to be working! :)

MelissaM

Okay, I'm confused (K related)

Unread post by MelissaM » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:25 am

Metairie wrote:Blushing here. I'm really smart, truly I am; but I feel a little like a dunce here. I got my student sheets in today and Jordan was excited, thrilled, and ready to start. I looked through them and thought, um, not until I can understand what I'm supposed to do with them! LOL.
What I would do - when you can get a few minutes to yourself ;) - is take all the student sheets for the 1st lesson. (On the bottom of the sheets, they say Day 1, Lesson 1, etc.) and sit down with them and your TM. Open the tm to the first day of yellow pages, and start reading, and follow along with the sheets. Everything you need to do with the student sheets is explained in the yellow pages. I would probably then do the same thing with sheets from later lessons - maybe around lesson 9, and then again around lesson 15, so you can see how some elements will change or be added as you progress through the phonics.

To set up, I did just as suggested in the front of the tm, and made file folders for each unit, and filed the student sheets each in their own folder. In the front of the first folder, I also put calendar and hundred chart, and I just move these forward each lesson. When we are done with a lesson, I 3-hole punch all the completed work and put it in a binder. Ds likes going back and looking through it all.

I also have another box, in which I keep a baggie with all of our bundled straws (or craft sticks or whatever you use), that we do with our hundred chart, our math cup (which is a small sealable plastic container in our case), our textured letters, our envelopes with all the picture cards (Day 1 student sheet), our coin cup (started this week), etc. Everything that won't fit in the file folders basically. Every day, I bring that box to the table, pull out what we need as we go, and drop it back in as we finish.

There is a little learning curve, but it's all good. I wouldn't spend too much time trying to make sure you understand every bit of the program before you start. Things will become clearer the longer you do it, and you will get in your rhythm. Take a deep breath and jump in! We love MFW K!

Keep asking questions!
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

tangomoon

Re: Okay, I'm confused (K related)

Unread post by tangomoon » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:52 pm

Here's what we do.

Day 1: Picture Cards sheet
Name each picture, color, and cut them out per p. 17. We then keep each letter's picture cards in a labelled envelope for use with p. 21 Picture Box activity.

Day 2: Handwriting / Sound Discrimination
Practice handwriting on front of sheet (p. 20), then for sound discrimination we use p. 22 instructions. Some days we circle the pictures that begin with that letter's sound, others we'll mark it another way.

Day 3: Math / Cut & Paste
We do the math side first (p. 25), then flip it over for the cut and paste. DD reads the words at the top, then cuts them apart and glues them onto the space below the pictures (p. 25). It actually lines up so that you can still see both sides just fine after cutting the words off, and even still 3-hole punch the page if you want to keep.

Day 4: Blend Ladder / Word List
As instructed in p. 28 & 29 :)

Day 5: Drawing Sheet and Cut & Paste II or Story
We do the drawing as per p. 31. Now that we're into the Story pages, some weeks we cut them apart and make a little book, some days we keep them as a full sheet. It really just depends on what we feel like for that day. :)

There have been weeks where we adapted the way we use the worksheets if DD already knows that letter & sound really well. As you get going into it a ways, the way the worksheets fit together will become much clearer. :) And keep asking for suggestions, since the folks here have some wonderful ideas. I've really learned a lot from them!

Metairie

Unread post by Metairie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:35 pm

Thank you for spelling it out, tangomoon. It makes much more sense. Sound discrimination are the ones you don't cut. Some day I'm going to look back and have a good belly laugh about this! :-)
Cindie, wife to Gary for 18 years, mom to girls,
Juliette MFW 1st grade Adv (01/04)
Jordan MFW K and Adv tag-a-long (07/06)

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:35 pm

Day 2: Handwriting / Sound Discrimination
Practice handwriting on front of sheet (p. 20), then for sound discrimination we use p. 22 instructions. Some days we circle the pictures that begin with that letter's sound, others we'll mark it another way.
I need to go back and read the instructions - we have probably never done this page "correctly." :-) Ds will color the pictures that start with the letter/sound we're working on and draw a big X through the rest. (No cutting on that page.)

We're only in the 2nd week with stories, but last week my ds really enjoyed cutting apart the squares, putting them in order and stapling into a "book." He's been reading his story to everybody! Great practice...

Agreeing with everything else tangomoon said, as well.

Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

Metairie

Unread post by Metairie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:44 pm

MelissaM wrote:I need to go back and read the instructions - we have probably never done this page "correctly." :-)
Well, that makes me feel much better! :-) Your way sounds fun, Melissa!

Posted Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:35 pm by Metairie
We are starting K tomorrow! Just had to share. :-)

I read through the TM on my layover and I am much more confident. It's in there perfectly, I just had to read it again. We just got in from my trip tonight, so that's why we are starting on Tuesday. Why not, right? :-)

The best part, Jordan is excited! I've practiced the songs as well. We'll see; hoping I don't sound like a toad. ;)
Cindie, wife to Gary for 18 years, mom to girls,
Juliette MFW 1st grade Adv (01/04)
Jordan MFW K and Adv tag-a-long (07/06)

spaldingclan

Unread post by spaldingclan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:10 am

And my girls REALLY enjoy playing ABC Bingo and ABC Go Fish. Those have been a big hit around here!
Kim
**Stars of Grace Academy**
happily married to dh since 1995
mom to 3 outgoing daughters:
dd1 age 14: Freshman at PS
dd2 age 6 1/2: currently in MFW1, finished MFWK
dd3 age 5: currently in MFWK
http://thislittlehouseschool.blogspot.com

Mexmarr

Setting up a salt tray for phonics/writing

Unread post by Mexmarr » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:53 am

Smoakhouse wrote:What have you found to be the best container use for your salt tray? Is salt your favorite medium? I've heard of corn meal, lotion, shaving cream....

Thanks for your tips. I have enjoyed reading all the ideas on the boards.
Blessings,
Cheri in TN
Mom to girls 17 & 14 and boy 5
I used a rubbermaid container, with a lid. It is a square, about 6 inches across, I think, and is the shallowest option of that size. Works great, as I just pop the lid on ans store it with the books.

It is from this set:
Rubbermaid Easy Find Lid 24-Piece Food Storage Container Set, by Rubbermaid
Misty, Wife to a wonderful man! Mother to:
Rosy age 8 - 3rd grade, ECC
Gracie age 7- K and ECC orally (legally blind, Aspergers)
Lizzie age 4 1/2 - waiting to start K!
Andy age 3
Rebekah age 2
Ruthie born March 31st

Completed 1st and Adventures

mgardenh

Re: Setting up a salt tray for phonics/writing

Unread post by mgardenh » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:26 pm

I use a rubber maid "take alongs" that is 12 x 9 and about 2 inches tall. We use colored sand. The each have their favorite colored sand. They love to play in it and draw and practice letters
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

TriciaMR

Re: Setting up a salt tray for phonics/writing

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:07 pm

We used colored sand for ours, too. Finer texture. You just need a very thin film of sand on the bottom. We also used a rectangular shaped Rubbermaid(tm) container.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog