Phonics - Ideas for phonics in God's Creation from A to Z

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
Mom2theteam

Re: Setting up a salt tray for phonics/writing

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:41 pm

I use plastic container also. I have a black one from a restaurant. (Supposed to be "disposable," but easy to wash and reuse.) I used sugar. It works well because the container is black and the sugar is white. My son loves it. :-)

Where do you get colored sand?
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:53 pm

Walmart has bigger bags of colored sand. I have also bought it at dollar store in pretty small containers.
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi Cheri in TN!
I'm in TN too. southwest corner....

our favorite bumpy medium was corn meal and sometimes grits.
Love shaving cream on tub wall.
and then there was the mashed potato incident.... I don't want to go into details... heee heee heee heeee
and chocolate syrup

one of the funnier times with corn meal (and we just used a cardboard box lid like the kind you'd have on copy paper box, or other lid like that), I had forgotten to put the corn meal away and the box. and left it on the table that day. We had to go somewhere for something and I thought... I'll deal with it later.
Came home, and the cat had (no not litter box, hang in there ) the cat had curled up and was taking a nap in it.... fur sure :)

blessings,
-crystal

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:42 pm

Crystal, I love your stories. Now, on topic.

I use salt and a shallow, flat bottomed pencil box.

I love the colored sand idea. I have lots. I ordered it through orientaltrading dot com last fall for the sand art project in ECC, and I ordered some paper mache' masks and stuff. I think I ended up with something like 8 quart sized jars. Oops. :~ 8[] I think we will be doing lots of sand art projects for quite some time. I did get some of those little bottles you fill with sand on Summer Clearance at Michaels last fall. I got two fish shapes that we are going to use for Japan tomorrow as a matter of fact.

So now I'm the one rambling. :~ ;)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

baileymom

Sheet music?

Unread post by baileymom » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:57 pm

Dusenkids wrote:Does anyone know where to find the sheet music for the A-a-song? Can't play a lick but might be about to pick it out...hummmm?
Try this:
http://www.makingmusicfun.net/htm/f_pri ... o-solo.htm
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

Smoakhouse

Tactile Letter Cards

Unread post by Smoakhouse » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:52 pm

I just ran across this picture of my daughter in PreK 4 with her Tactile letter cards and thought that someone here might find it useful for extra help in learning letters. I don't see why you could not make the lower case as easily as the upper.

Tactile Magnet Letters Cards

A - Aluminum
B - Blue Buttons or Black Beads
C - Candy Circles (sweet tarts)
D - Dots (stickers)
E - Egg shells
F - Fur material
G - Gold Glitter (or Green Glitter)
H - Heart stickers or Hay
I - Insect stickers - Ivy
J - Jelly beans
K - Kite stickers
L - Lilac Lace
M - Macaroni noodles
N - Notes stickers (or printed strips) or Netting fabric or Noodles
O - Orange or O hole reinforcers or O cereal
P - Popcorn kernels or Pipe cleaners
Q - Q-tip (paint with it and use 1/2 for the tail)
R - Red Ribbon
S - Silver Star stickers or Sprinkles
T - Tooth picks or Twist Ties
U - Umbrella (umbrella over a u shaped handle)
V - Velvet material or Velcro
W - Wool material or Wood (popsicle sticks)
X - X ray man
Y - Yellow Yarn
Z - Zig Zag ribbon or Zipper
SCAN0141.JPG
SCAN0141.JPG (149.6 KiB) Viewed 13280 times
IMG21_1.jpg
IMG21_1.jpg (127.32 KiB) Viewed 13280 times
Cheri in TN
Mom to girls 23 & 20 and boy 10
Homeschooling for 18 years and counting!!
MFW ECC (2016-17)
MFW Adventures (2013-14)
MFW 1st (2012-13)
MFW K (2011-12)
MFW Health (fall 2011)
Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/cdsmoak

Julie in MN

Re: Tactile Letter Cards

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:52 am

That is so cool! I know my boys would have loved "discovering" all the connections to the sounds and the materials.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Christine

ABC song for sounds??

Unread post by Christine » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:36 am

mamastading wrote:I am starting Kindergarten in our home this fall. Wondering if anyone has a good resource for an ABC cd that has the sounds of the letters, not the letter names?? I think it would be good to have in the car for my munchkin!!
Thanks,
Sam
Postby cbollin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:50 pm
The only pieces of the puzzle I can offer won't help in the car. But you can sing along..
go here
http://www.starfall.com/n/level-k/song-abcs/load.htm?f

click on the ABC's in the top left corner. It's the same kind of cadence for the ABC song in MFW K. or this precious version made last year by "jenna"
http://treasuresunseen.blogspot.com/201 ... -song.html

Postby AnnieMarie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:53 pm
We love Discovery Toys "Sounds Like Fun" CD. It not only has the alphabet sounds but it has skip counting, months, days, Spanish, Nursery rhymes, and manners. Love, Love, Love this CD. I bought it at a Discovery toys party ages ago, but it looks like you can get it online now.
http://www.discoverytoyslink.com/esuite ... ct_id=1850
HTH

Postby SarahP » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:14 pm
Leap Frog has a DVD called letter factory that has a phonetic alphabet song. The video is about 30 minutes long and pretty cute. Goes something like The A says "Ah" the A says "Ah" every letter makes a sound, the A says "Ah". ........ Baby Tad visits all the letters rooms to learn what each sound says -in the A room all the lower case "A's" are being taught by an Upper Case A how to say their sounds by frightening them. In the O room the O's are flying through the air on Vines saying OOOOOOOOO (like in the word Long).

I know you just asked for a song - but this movie really helped my kids get the idea that every letter has a sound.

Postby Christine » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:36 am
Sing Spell Read and Write has a song you might like. It's sung to the tune of the Alphabet Song or Twinkle Twinkle.
http://universitycharterschools.csuci.e ... _Chart.xls

Yodergoat

MFWK Flash Cards--did you do anything special?

Unread post by Yodergoat » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:23 pm

far above rubies wrote:Does anyone have two sets of these? If you had one set, did you do anything special? If you had more than one set, how did you use them?
We use ours for various activities... not just the A-a-apple song or to introduce the letter of the new unit.

I will spread them out on the couch in random order and then (also randomly) call out a sound. Gail often requests we sing "The Hokey Pokey" song with this activity, as in, "Put your 'buh' in, put your 'buh' out, but your 'buh' in, and you shake it all about...." as she puts the card in, out, etc. Lots of fun, very active. Then, since they're all out of order, she spreads them out on the floor and puts them in alphabetical order for the next day's A-a-apple song, which we sing each and every school day. I've had other flashcards before, of course, but these are so large and beautiful that they are a joy to use.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

kimber79

Re: MFWK Flash Cards--did you do anything special?

Unread post by kimber79 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:50 pm

I have considered purchasing a 2nd set, but right now we have only one set of flashcards. I have considered hanging up on the wall/window but we just started MFW-K this week (light week with just an introduction to the phonics games and some of the themes).

My son loves the flashcards and laying them down on the floor and putting them in alpha order as his ABC rainbow! We start out with A card at the one end of the arc and then put the Z card at the other end and he fills it all in. He did this twice today and I'm surprised at how many times he wants to do this! They really do love repetition :)

I think I'll hang the pre-made badges up on the wall instead since they are smaller and will take up less space. Once they are on the wall, then we can remember/recall the Biblical truths while practicing the letter sounds based on the pictures. I have a 2-year-old daughter who loves these flashcards too and have considered buying a set for her but for now I'll try to keep these flashcards in pristine condition if possible so she can use them in a couple years ;)

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:56 am

When my girl was doing K, she liked to play with them, sorting and stacking and just looking at them, and we also used them as flashcards.

Since they got handled so much, I bought a second set to keep nice and put them in page protectors in a small 3-ring binder. Never did put them up on the wall due to lack of space. She's in 3rd grade now, and she still gets out the binder to look at them sometimes. I just noticed the other day that the cards are all out of order, so apparently she's played with them at some point. 8[]
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 9th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:06 am

We have two sets.

One set I put inside one of those tri-fold posterboards like you might use for a science fair. When we do phonics I open it & set it on the ground and we sit and sing or I say a sound and she points to the letter. I mounted them with photo corners that I use in scrapbooking so that the cards are removable. We are yet to need to take them down, but I like having the option.

My 2nd set is hung above our dry-erase board. I had to trim the cards where the black lines are to be able to fit all of them.

I like having them displayed, because I put the badge above the card when we finish the week. And this helps us see what weeks we've done, how many weeks we have left, and can easily review our words to remember. But I also like having the ones on the trifold board that are on her eye level and that she can touch.
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

TriciaMR

My DD5 doesn't get /s/ + /a/ makes /sa/

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:10 pm

psalm126mama wrote:We are on Turtle week of MFWK. DD is doing wonderfully and started K knowing all of her letter sounds.

Yet, when I use the blend latter her eyes glaze over and she acts like she doesn't have a clue what I am talking about. I mean she completely does not get it. We did /s//a/ /sa/ the /t/ /a/ /ta/ and so on. I followed the direction in the manual and introduced this the way suggested. It says in the manual that at first you will have to say the syllable for the student and then they will catch on. She is just so lost that it seems like maybe I need to explain this in a different way but I can't think of another way to explain it.

I'll say /m/ /a/ /ma/ Then I ask her what does this say? She said /sa/?!? I said does m make the /s/ sound? She said no. I said so what does this say? Then she said /sa/ again (when it was /ma/). She is just guessing and not understanding that you can sound it out by looking at it.

I don't know why but her utter confusion at this blending has triggered my first real doubts as to if I am capable to homeschool. My family is not supportive & my father recently asked me "will she be able to go to college?". I thought he was being ridiculous but now I am worried what if I can't teach her how to read? DH is supportive and I suppose that is all that should matter. Sorry, I am off on a tangent.

Anybody else's child know the individual letter sounds but then can't understand blending? What did you do?

She turned 5 in April (if that matters).
Blending is hard work... It may take several weeks for them to get it... You may want to stay at the same place for a while before moving on...

Some other things to try...

Get sidewalk chalk and write m and then a... Have her jump on the m and say /m/, then jump on the a and say /a/, and then have her jump fast from m to a, smoothing the sounds together.

There is one exercise that I really like from Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons... It goes like this. You say, "I'm going to say two words really slow, and then you're going to say them together really fast." Then you say, "Like this, I say, bath <pause> tub and you say 'bathtub'. Let's try a few." Some words to use: motor/cycle, dish/washer, and any other compound words you can think of.

Then you say, "Just like we do that with words, we do that with letters. So, I'm going to say /m/ (drag it out) then /a/ (drag it out) and then you say it fast like /ma/. I'm going to say /s/ (drag) /a/ (drag them out together) then you say it fast: /sa/." You have to do this with letters you can drag out, so you can do it with with f, h, l, m, n, r, s, v, w, y, z. So, without showing her any letters, just do the blending thing with the vowels. And do the jumping on the letters thing.

But again, this is a big hump to get over.

She will get it, and yes, even you can homeschool and she will get into college. Don't let the doubts nag you.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Re: My DD5 doesn't get /s/ + /a/ makes /sa/

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:51 pm

((hugs)))

it's quite normal for a child to not get it this soon. It's not a reflection on your ability. yes, homeschoolers get into college.

ideas:
sounds like she could just use some more practice. and lots of modeling. Some teachers say that a child needs to hear a model of input 4 or more times before being able to produce it on their own.
so, model it out loud for her several times

if you already allow tv shows.... how about looking for something like "between the lions" or other similar shows where they reinforce phonics lessons?
what about some play time on starfall.com?
I like Trish's ideas.
One idea in my head is to play a game where each of you holds a letter from the lauri kit. Say your sound while holding up the letter. then get closer together. say it again in order. step a bit closer. say it again. try not to laugh too much at each other... now touch shoulder to shoulder and say the sounds really close together. (it's your child, you can go nose to nose or forehead to forehead)
say each sound individually each time from one person
then at the end say the sound together

-crystal

Ruby

Unread post by Ruby » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:56 pm

here's my 2 cents worth:
sometimes our kid's brains or hands or eyes are not ready for what we are ready to teach them. this doesn't mean there's anything wrong with either of you, it just means the timing is off. but don't ever doubt your ability to homeschool your child because she's not getting it. time will help her. i would try the activities suggested in the above posts; certainly my son was helped a lot by watching between the lions ( you can buy some of the shows on dvd at amazon, if you have the extra money; or watch it on pbs if you have cable), but he didn't read until he was in first grade.
don't be discouraged! it'll happen! maybe not now, but it will happen.-ruby

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:31 pm

Thank you so much - I feel much relief and encouragement after reading your replies!

I was worried that I wasn't capable to teach this, and am grateful that you believe time will help. I will definitely try the creative suggestions. I am a worrier but am trying to change.

Thank you MFW for giving me a community of fellow homeschool moms. This forum is my lifeline to people who understand what I am going through on any given day. What a blessing!
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st

cbollin

Vowel cards in K

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:06 am

dstj wrote:I have finally gotten to unit 4! So in the yellow pages I see on two days we are supposed to start singing a song and it is says to use the short vowel cards. I've looked through the student pages packet and can't seem to see it.
When I did K, it was an 8.5 x 11 cardstock sheet.
3 columns - one with the vowel, 2 with drawings of pictures of the words in the song for that letter
5 rows - one row per vowel
and cut lines to cut each box individually while singing the song

do you have anything like that?

I cut them to use just few at a time and play a mix and match up game with my daughter.

-crystal

Mexmarr

Re: Vowel cards in K

Unread post by Mexmarr » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:21 am

Yes, like Crystal said.

To be a little more specific, the top column has an A and then a picture of a cat and a picture of a man.

I never cut cut them into cards. I preferred to just use the whole page and let her point to the picture as we sang.
dstj wrote:Thank you! I did find them!
I see it does say to cut them out but we didn't do that today - just used it the way it was for now and pointed to the pictures in the top row as we sang the song.
Thanks again:)
Misty, Wife to a wonderful man! Mother to:
Rosy age 8 - 3rd grade, ECC
Gracie age 7- K and ECC orally (legally blind, Aspergers)
Lizzie age 4 1/2 - waiting to start K!
Andy age 3
Rebekah age 2
Ruthie born March 31st

Completed 1st and Adventures

Yodergoat

Alphabet game

Unread post by Yodergoat » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:30 am

Early in our K year, we played the letter sound "hokey pokey." This was an idea from our co-op, and the teacher used MFW flash cards. So as soon as we had school the next day, Gail asked if we could use our flashcards to play it.

Lay out the cards you will be using (the letters that have been taught so far, or just several random ones, or all of them if you are up to singing the redundant song 26 times) where the child can see and easily grab one.

Now sing:

"You put your /h/ in, you put your /h/ out, you put your /h/ in and you shake it all about. You make the /h/ sound and you turn yourself around, that's what it's all about!"

Meanwhile, your child has found the appropriate card and does the actions.
I'm Shawna...

cbollin

need help with blend ladder, tearful child (K)

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Yodergoat wrote:We're just starting the blend ladder here. Today was 5 and a half year old Gail's first experience with it, although for many months now she has been attempting to sound out words on her own and with assistance from me. If she is not really "trying to read" she does quite well. She is good at doing the reverse... if she hears a word she will say, for example, "Pug. It starts with /p/, so that is a P. The next sound is /u/, so that is a U. Pug. I hear /g/, so it ends with G. P-U-G spells pug!" So I know she gets the concept and she does have a good understanding of her letter sounds and has for a long time. But....

Our blend ladder experience today was pretty miserable. I have noticed that if we are trying to learn something like this purposefully (instead of by her own initiative), she tends to get tearful and hasty, resorting to guesses and saying her letter sounds in an exaggerated way. So instead of saying them the way we sing them during the A/a/apple song, she says many of them in a prolonged fashion. So /t/ becomes "tuuuuuh," /m/ becomes "muuuuuh," /n/ becomes "nuuuuuh." Hence the blends become very disjointed.
"Tuuuuuh----/a/." She just can't combine them. So she guesses. "Tug! Mat!" even though there was not U,G, or M on the ladder. She just can't seem to connect them together! And "tuuuuuuh------/a/" sure doesn't sound like /ta/.

I don't understand the disconnect between what she can do easily other times and the way she reacted with the blend ladder. She was also upset that the sounds weren't "real" words. I had to remind her that "she doesn't quit, she perseveres." ;) She picks up new words very easily, but I have avoided teaching her too many "sight words" on purpose, in preparation for the phonics. I think because she has so many memorized that she has some high expectations for reading, even though I've told her it may not come quickly. She is highly skilled at writing and I think she expects to have the same success at reading. So when she didn't do well with the blend ladder, she got very flustered. She asked if she could just memorize all the words, instead of learning to sound them out! :~

It was a hard time for both of us today, tearful for her and difficult for me to be patient when she would just blindly guess instead of combining the sound.

She has watched the "Talking Words Factory" video before, which combines the words into word families with the same ending sounds and changing first letters to make new words. Could this be confusing her since MFW uses the beginning sound instead of the ending sound?

I didn't learn to read with any form of purposeful instruction... I was 4 and remember just "getting it" one day while being read to by my father. Since I already knew how to read, I didn't pay much attention to phonics in school. I was a very avid reader, reading Watership Down and unabridged versions of The Call of the Wild and such in second grade. My husband was the same, learning without any real instruction. He says he can't even hear the difference between sounds... yet he is a fluent reader. He just sort of pretended his way through all the phonics lessons in school. So neither one of us knows how to explain it so she will understand. I followed the directions in the TM but it does not address what to do if the child guesses or can't connect the sounds together.

Mayhap I have too high of expectations for her, too... since she is such a good writer I might be expecting her skill in that to just sort of "carry over" into reading, although I don't consciously believe that should happen. But perhaps I do have an unrealistic expectation because she is very wordy with a large vocabulary. "Momma, I need some artistic advice. I'm not quite satisfied with this tortoise's shell. It just doesn't seem sufficiently realistic. Do you have a suggestion on how I can improve this drawing?" %|

I understand that this was just our first day at officially using the blend ladder. I'm not freaking out. ;) But, I don't want to make it a negative experience for her tomorrow as well, or the next day or the next. I'd like to nip bad habits in the proverbial bud, you know? Any suggestions to help this click with her?
I want to make sure on something here....
when you are doing the instructions in part one of blend ladder, are you asking her to do it on her own (which is not how I interpret the instructions) or are you modeling it out loud for her, and then having her repeat it with you? (which is how I interpret it)

Are you pointing to the letters as you say them? How about picking up the letters and moving them closer to each other, or each of you holds one letter in your hand and you two hug closer and say your syllables

are you telling her "you're right... we're not reading full words today. We're doing syllable practices and those are important first." (and they are when it comes to spelling and longer words and all of that)

I know you don't "do tv" from other posts.. but if on those days where she's at grandma house, have you been able to preview something like Between the Lions for suitability? Between the Lions does a mixture of "families" and phonics. I wonder if that might help her a bit to have some fun with it and "get it". just a suggestion, ignore it if it is just way wrong for your preferences.

well.. that's just off the top of my head. She just might need a bit more practice and modeling.

-crystal

Dusenkids

Re: need help with blend ladder, tearful child (K)

Unread post by Dusenkids » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:03 pm

Hugs, It will be okay!

Deep breath, it is your first day. It is completely new to her. I’ve never seen reading taught like this, nor you, or her. Panic attack! (At least that was my thoughts :~ .) The first week we “used” the ladder, the ladder was nowhere to be seen. I had to hide it because of a similar response. I just laid all the letters on the table. I could lay one letter out, add the next, take the first, whatever we needed to do.

Week 2-3 (memory??) we started really using the ladder. We did the letters on the table and then “Oh Look!! There is this nifty ladder that can help us organize the letters! Let me show you how to use this wonderful ladder!” It was a rough week but we made progress! We are now on unit 16 and he can do the ladder on his own if I have to go catch my 1yr climbing the bookcase again. I had to laugh at your “artistic advice” comment. I can hear my son saying the same thing! That vocabulary will help so much later on. It is easier to read words you know. But, Right now you are building the skills she will need to read those big words. You know, “baby steps.” She didn’t start talking with those big words although they may have come pretty quickly. Same thing with reading. I guess I am saying that the ladder works. Don’t give up on it. At least it did with us! You may find that in a few weeks or so, not only is it easy for her to use, she will be using it with all the letters covered or not. HTH
Martie
Married to Nathan 15 years
Mom to 8 boys ages 12 to newborn
Have used Kindergarten to Modern

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks for the responses, ladies! A little update: Later in the day, long after school was finished, Gail said merrily, "I know I will learn to read. It's just hard at first, right?" That made me feel so much better because she seemed despairing earlier.

Crystal,
I did all the things you mentioned (except the hugging, that is an awesome idea) with Gail. I would model, she would repeat it correctly after me, then she would get all flustered and would say, "I know you said it says /ta/. Somehow I don't understand that, I get "tuuuuuuuh-/a/. But that doesn't even make any sense! It is just way too difficult for me!" Tears threatened, but thankfully did not quite fall. I remember seeing an episode of Between the Lions a long, long time ago. I will look into having my parents record an episode or two and see if it helps... or at least just encourages her. She has seen Word World, but I don't know if that is helping or hindering. She has memorized some words from that show, I know. She was coloring a picture of a box turtle today, pointed to word "box" and said, "I see /b/ and /o/.... does X say /cks/? Yeah, this says BOX!" I was overjoyed.... until she added, "I learned how to spell BOX on Word World at Nana's house. See, Momma, I can remember lots of words!" :~

Martie,
Thanks for the encouragement! I do think the ladder intimidates her. And going in just the order of the "already covered" sounds feels like stifling her because she wanted to do other sounds. I'm thinking I might do as you did and put the ladder aside for a while and just play with the letters, mayhap not even during school time so she won't feel so "pressured." It is a great tool, but she instantly balked at it. I believe that is why she started desperately shouting out random words as guesses. Too formal for her, perhaps? She often asks just to use the letters to spell out words she knows like "cat" and "pig" and then she will ask to use other letters to change them, and we change from "pig" to "big" or "pit." She likes doing that, but today's ladder ordeal was just sad. I might get the ladder out next time and lay it on the table to see her reaction. If a look of dismay comes, I will put it away. If she is eager to try again, we will do the three letter words... these may make more sense to her!

This may be a factor... Gail knows that one of her best friends (a boy 3rd cousin) at co-op can read well, after doing Learn to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. He is younger than Gail by four months, and she just can't fathom how HE can read but she can't. I tried to explain to her that we are just now starting to learn, but he has been learning since summer began. But she sees it as failure on her part and I think it has made her edgy and afraid to try. I'm staying laid back about it, not pushing. Being an only child, she is not well-accustomed to any sort of competition and is... dare I say it... a perfectionist in some ways. She tends to do well with schoolish things and so she is not used to struggling with something. She does have a similar reaction to some verses in AWANA Sparks, getting flustered if she doesn't remember them as easily as she did when she learned John 3:16!

I think I can relate better now to parents whose children are hesitant to write. Gail will happily write anything, so it was hard sometimes to understand how other children her age were not as interested or able. Now it has flip-flopped on me. I get it now!
I'm Shawna...

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:32 am

Yodergoat wrote:I don't understand the disconnect between what she can do easily other times and the way she reacted with the blend ladder.

Mayhap I have too high of expectations for her, too... since she is such a good writer I might be expecting her skill in that to just sort of "carry over" into reading, although I don't consciously believe that should happen.
Glad it's going better. I just wanted to add that there will be these plateaus throughout her education. I think sometimes the conscious, abstract brain just has to catch up with the unconscious, intuition. I wouldn't overthink it all unless you have a long-term issue. Just present the info & wait. These pauses will happen a lot in math, too. Each kid absorbs things into their brain in different ways, and you may not relate to your dd's method, but most likely the wheels are turning and one day it will all be organized in her brain and she'll just say it's easy.

It reminds me of a book I was reading recently, where the author (a scientist) experimented with counting in his mind. He realized he could not do it while talking, but his friend could talk and keep count. However, the friend could not read and keep count, which the author could do successfully. It seemed to have to do with the different ways that they each "saw" the counting numbers in their minds. His point was that even things we think are fairly plain and uniform are not. I found it interesting (but then I find random things interesting :~ ).

Julie

P.S. More possible ideas here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2634
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:59 am

agreeing with Julie..... let the info settle in her brain. She'll be fine. Probably today her fast brain has already worked out more of it.

-crystal

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:36 pm

Yodergoat - My daughter had a similar reaction when we started Tt Turtle week.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 926#p79880

Anyway... I just looked on my calendar to remember when that was (time is going by so fast these days) and it was only middle of September. Now, we are in the Ww water week and she is "getting it" regarding blending. Adding the 3rd letter to make a word still throws her for a loop but she can now sound 2 letters like out /b/ + /a/ = /ba/. This is huge for her.

What helped the most (like crystal & other suggested) was increasing the amount of modeling I was doing. I would sound it out for her and then have her copy me. At first it felt like I was "giving her the answer" but it is what she needed. Her trying to sound it out only led to guessing and "I cant's" and "I don't know". It was several weeks before I even asked her what she thought without me modeling it first. I cringed not knowing what would happen, if she could do it on her own yet. But by that time something had clicked and she sounded it out. We high-fived a lot that morning.

I didn't realize it at the time but I was expecting too much too soon. This one issue made me worry that I wasn't an adequate homeschooler and a whole laundry list of other things the devil would have me believe. But all it was was this - Her little computer needed more input before it could output. Maybe your daughter is the same way. In short - model, model, model is my advice.
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st