Other Ideas for Kindergarten

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

Other Ideas for Kindergarten

Unread post by Marie » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:25 pm

If you have ideas for kindergarten that don't fit in the above topics, you can post them here.
Last edited by Marie on Thu May 06, 2004 12:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.

LCR

ABC's

Unread post by LCR » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:25 pm

I hide the letter of the week for my 3 1/2 year old to find. I use the big foam letters that are part of a floor mat and "hide" the letter on something that begins with it. For "D", it was door, daddy, dentist (I put it on a book about going to the dentist, since we were planning her first trip there that week as well), and of course, dinosaur. Sometimes it's tricky to find things around the house, so I find a picture of that thing to put the letter on. My daughter really enjoys it finding the letter and discovering a new thing.
Have fun learning,
LCR

Ariasarias

Summary Sheet

Unread post by Ariasarias » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:41 pm

At the end of each week my dd and I fill out a "summary sheet" of the week. We record the topic and Biblical concept, what we did in relation to the topic, at least 5 things she learned and her favorite book of the week. We then put it in her Kinder notebook, along with anything else we did for the topic, as a reminder of what we did all year. She enjoys showing it to people when they come over -- especially grandma and grandpa.
Nicole, wife to Claudio since 1996, and mom to dd (2000), dd (2003), dd (2005), and ds (2009).

Mom2MnS

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:06 pm

We have been having a great time doing "Letter Detectives" for each unit. I made a poster with a sleuth picture and a big magnifying glass. I made a pocket to go underneath the poster out of a #10 envelope. For each unit, I cut out large colored circles and write the letter we are studying on them. The circles go into the pocket. Every time my dd discovers something around the house that begins with our unit letter, we tape a circle on it. At the end of each unit, we take them all down to get ready for the next "Letter Detectives Adventure" :)
WLIC, Quinne

nhneubauer

Fire Safety Week-Oct.

Unread post by nhneubauer » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:35 pm

When it is available the Seasame Street Fire Safety Station Unit is wonderful. www.usfa.fema.gov (the last couple of times I checked it was out of stock)

I also used a couple of other websites to suppliment.
www.enchangedlearning.com
www.alphabet-soup.net/firesafety/firesafety.html

We used the following books:
-Matches, Lighters and Firecrackers are Not Toys by Dorothy Chlad
(A little outdated, tells children to take matches and lighters to adult. The train of thought now days is for the children to not touch the matches, lighters and firecrackers and go find an adult.)
-When There is A Fire, Go Outside by Dorothy Chlad
-"Fire, Fire" Said Mrs. McGuire
(Not very informative but in an enjoyable book that is in rhyme.)
-Hotshots by Chris Demarest
(About Fire Jumpers my son really liked this book with it's colorful and exciting pictures).
-Firefighters To The Rescue! by Kersten Hamiliton

And of course we went to the firestation for a tour. Helps that hubby is a volunteer.

Nicole

nhneubauer

Immunization Help

Unread post by nhneubauer » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:43 pm

Ds was worried about his flu shot this year. I found this website that shows a short cartoon on how flu shots work.

http://cgi.chron.com.content/chronicle/ ... tml/Id.htm

We also explained that the shot is dead or almost dead "bad guy germs" This tells his body to send out the "soldiers" to fight the "bad guys germs." The soliders went out to fight the bad guys. They killed off the almost dead ones and hang out waiting for more bad guys. If he runs into any more bad guy germs his soldiers will kill them and he will not get sick.

It was funny to hear him explain that the soliders were the color of the cartoon.

Then he got the vaccine inhaliant and didn't need a shot anyway.

Nicole

nhneubauer

Halloween Alternative Study

Unread post by nhneubauer » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:26 pm

We used a one day Pumpkin Unit Study this year.

Bible:
Pumpkin Prayer and Carving (do science section before carving)
Shine for Jesus! Mini Craft Booklet
both at www.daniellesplace.com/html/halloween.html

Science:
Read:
-Pumpkin, Pumpkin by Jeanne Titherington
-Use live photography of pumpkin life cycle at http://scienceforfamilies.allinfo-about ... ience.html
-Cut and paste pumpkin life cycle on green yarn.
www.kinderteacher.com/pumpkininScience.htm (idea)
www.chias.org.www/edu/mite/wkshp/pumpkin/pumpkin.html (illustration)
-Illustrate a Pumpkin Plant Book
www.kinderteacher.com/pumpkininScience.htm
-Scientific Inquire
Will pumpkins float in water?
If they do, do they float stem up, stem down, or stem sideways?
Can you tell which side of the pumpkin was against the ground? How?
Guess (estimate) how many seeds this pumpkin will contain.

Math:
grouped seeds in tens and then group the tens into hundreds.

Snack:
Yummy pumpkin treats

nhneubauer

Thanksgiving Idea

Unread post by nhneubauer » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:54 pm

We had a 6 day Thanksgiving Study. There is so many aspects of this holiday is was hard not to cram everything into this one. So I choose 3 days for thankfulness and modern day thanksgiving, 3 days historical.

I started an Observing Growth Experiment by Charity Lovelace a week before (lost the web site address) . Put Indian corn in a wet paper towel inside a plastic bag. Have student draw what the seeds look like at beginning and in a week each day as they sprout.

We read poems out of It's Thanksgiving by Jack Prelutsky
Maize is Corn by Aliki.
Arthur's Thanksgiving by Marc Tolon Brown
A Child's Book of Manners by Ruth Shannon Odor

We made the hand & feet turkeys, Potholder turkeys (www.danillesplace.com/html/thanksgiving.html), thanksgiving turkey cards (paint childs palm and thumb brown, fingers color of feathers) And My Thanksgiving Book (www.homeschooled-kids.com/familycover.html)

We made Corn Chowder.

The historical part was covered by reading:
Pilgrim's First Thanksgiving by Ann McGovern
Pilgrim children on the Mayflower by Ida DeLage
The Very First Thanksgiving Day by Rhonda Gowler Greene
Samuel Eaton by Kate Waters (wonderful real photos)
Tapenum's Day by Kate Waters (wonderful real photos)

There are a lot of craft and snack ideas on www.danielleplace.com

We also built a Mayflower from a kit but it was very complicated with knots and lots of string. I saw one at Michaels Arts and Crafts store that was a lot more simple with no strings. If I make another, that is the way I plan to go because my student didn't really get to help much.

Nicole

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:10 pm

To add in a splash of color to our Sound Discrimination sheet, we used 2 colors of “bingo marker” style of dabbers. If the picture started with the target letter sound it received one color. If it didn’t, it got the other color

-crystal

Julie - Staff

Extras for K/1st?

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:44 pm

MercyMamma wrote:What extra resources do you enjoy having on hand for K/ 1st age?
Posted Thu May 22, 2008 9:11 am by MJ in IL
For K, I (of course~I mean the kids:) have enjoyed using:
- alphabet stamps for some of the worksheets as a break from writing
- an alphabet maze book
- a stencil set with animals

Looking forward to doing K for the 3rd time around this next school year!

Posted Thu May 22, 2008 9:17 am by dhudson
For pre-K and K, we loved having a magnetic board with letters to move and sound out. We used numbers as well for math and then just fun magnet dress-up sets.

In one of David's talks he mentioned using paint swatches for activities and we got a handful of those to play with. It was incredible the number of things we did with those, patterns, color wheels, art projects.

We bought the "Introduction to Classical Music" for Pre-K and used it on a daily basis . You need to get it through MFW so that you get the suggestions booklet, we had a blast with it and it started a love for classical music. My 10 year old still has some of those songs on his i-pod.

A sand box! My kids probably learned half their letters by first writing them in the sand box and the other half by using chalk on the driveway.

A zoo and museum membership. We have traded memberships every other year to the zoo and the museum and it has made field trips very accessible to us. We live about 40 minutes away but we probably go to one or the other once or twice a month depending on what we are learning.

Little Book of Manners for Girls and the Little Book of Manners for Boys. We went through these books regularly in those years. We read them, then we play acted them. How to say hello and shake hands, how to introduce a friend, how to answer a phone. We still get comments on the manners of our kids and most of it was training from ages 3-5.

Those were great years with my children. We had so much fun and it was a great foundation for a love of learning.
God Bless,
Dawn

Posted Thu May 22, 2008 9:54 am by Heidi
My non-artist loves getting the special book/animal boxes that our library has. Each box highlights an excellent story about an animal and comes complete with a matching stuffed animal. Great for read alouds and snuggling.

There is a board book series by some french name (wish I could think of it) but the titles are like this: Little Duck, Little Monkey, Little Deer, Little Elephant, etc. These are excellently illustrated with the animal in their biome and perfect for even toddlers (or those with delayed fine motor like mine) to handle.

Music, songs and CD's with animals in them are great. Doing funny animal walks is a hit too.

And I am going to say it: movies or TV programs that highlight animals. Disney has a really cute one about two real polar bear brothers. Moody Science has outstanding science DVD's! Check them all out at your library for free too!

There is always visiting the zoo, aquarium, planetarium, bird sanctuaries, butterfly gardens - etc. (These are my son's favorites - he loves to "go out"). Watch in your area for free home school days to visit these type places. Or go with your local homeschool friends and get a group discount.

Answers in Genesis magazine, Nature Friend Magazine are excellent Christian answers to National Geographic and Rick Ranger.

My non-writer has valued the MFW-PK manipulatives (he actually has a love/hate relationship with them because at first they were so difficult - but, they really have helped him and he knows this and he does well with them now).

Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:39 am by mommy to 3
I love books and I chose to purchase most of the recomended books rather than get them from the library. I purchased them online through books a million. Many of the books also had cd's with them. My daughter loves to look along with the book on tape. She likes to use headphones.

Also we just found a book that's not on the list but my daughter just adore's {mom too.} called "Prayer for a child " by Rachel Field. If you have a girl esecially I highly reccomend it.
Blessings to you and yours.

Posted Sun May 25, 2008 3:31 pm by RachelT
Hi there! We have some "favorites" that we pull out a lot. My children still enjoy playing with the stacking number pegs and number puzzles from the PreK package (they are a fun manipulative for math!). We also used the Wee Sing Bible Songs this year in 1st grade although they are another item in the PreK package. The Lauri textured letter puzzle has been good.

We have a Leap Pad "Word Whammer" toy on our fridge and lots of magnetic letters to make 3 letter words in it. However, I have used the magnetic letters on our large, magnetic white board for lots of blend ladders and phonics instruction. They come in upper and lowercase. We like to use dry erase markers and white boards, colored pencils, markers, crayons to vary our writing. We like lots of different manipulatives for math like Teddy Bear counters, Unifix blocks, a deck of cards, dice.

We have the "DK Animal Encyclopedia" and the "Zoo Book" from Answers in Genesis which have been helpful for K. (They both have real photos of lots of animals and information.) We have been able to find many books from the library about each K science topic, 1st grade math topics, and 1st grade science topics. I even found children's books about many of the Bible stories in MFW 1st grade, but our Beginner's Bible had them in it, too.

Just off the top of my head, those are some of the things we have used the very most!
Rachel

cbollin

Resource for Day 1 science fact time

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:05 pm

Here's a resource to consider using for those Day 1 Science lessons:

The Complete Book of Animals (sold by MFW in the ECC section of their website).

MFW has recently begun to sell a new book, The Complete Book of Animals. You can find the book on the ECC page, as this book is scheduled in ECC as an optional reading comprehension book for 2nd and 3rd graders in ECC. Additionally, MFW is suggesting it might be a nice book to use for EX1850 for younger sib while doing the Animal Kingdom semester.

I noticed as I was extensively reviewing this book this afternoon, that it would be an awesome resource for MFW K when you need a quick reference for many of the units in My Father's World A to Z. It will be age appropriate for reading to your Kindy children to learn some basic facts. The cost is low and then you'll be able to use it again in a few years because you will not have used the whole book anyway in K.

Complete Book of Animals has useful articles on the following topics in MFW K:
Turtle
Octopus
Insect (lots of insects)
Goat
Cow
Horse
Elephant
Penguin
Kangaroo
Zebra
Butterfly
Frog
(didn't see fox yet?)
and maybe a little bit on birds when you do Quail.

I hope that helps someone who might be considering a quick resource for those Day 1 Kindy science lessons when you teach facts. I haven't read the entire book yet for content and all of that. So please preview each section if you use it. But it's just enough facts

Blessings,

-crystal

tangomoon

Re: Other Ideas for Kindergarten

Unread post by tangomoon » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:36 am

I hide the letter of the week for my 3 1/2 year old to find.
Thanks for this great idea! For the first week, since DD was already sounding out some simple CVC words, I hid the letters S-U-N on sticky notes around the house for her to find. Then she tried them in different combinations until she hit upon the word sun. This was a huge hit for her, and one of her favorite parts of beginning each new unit. :)

Yodergoat

A journal for K

Unread post by Yodergoat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:15 pm

This was something we did as well that was not part of the K curriculum, but which we added because my girl loves to write and I could foresee that the handwriting sheets and such wouldn't be quite enough to sate her... she kept a journal. It started out as a daily thing but as the year progressed and we had longer and more intensive days, it became once every few days. I didn't want it to become a burden or "too much," but hoped it would be something she wanted to do. When weather was acceptable, she would take it outside to complete.

We used a notebook which looked similar to a composition book but had a blank space up top for a picture and then lines below (I think they were lined for first or second grade). She would choose what to write about, such as something interesting that happened recently or what unit we were doing in K, that sort of thing. She would dictate it to me, I would write it out on a small dry erase board, and she would copy it into the journal. Then she would draw a picture. I tried not to hover over her, or to be too particular about her penmanship unless it was unreadable, so it varies greatly from day to day depending on her mood and how quickly she wanted to be finished! Same with the drawings.

The journal is precious to us now because it documents so much of her K year. It shows what she thought was important and what interested her at the time. For example, she was so excited to finally be in Sparks club in AWANA that she took the time to do a careful drawing of Sparky, the mascot from the handbooks.
IMG_1517.JPG
Sparky!
IMG_1517.JPG (66 KiB) Viewed 34356 times
Other days her work was more hasty. ;)

But all pages document important happenings, like when her Daddy touched a real live wild armadillo during a nature hike or when she gathered leaves for the leaf unit with her Papa, or the time we went camping but all she wanted to write about was the "enormous mound of sand" that was near our campsite. That sort of thing. Precious stuff.

I remember one day she left it outside and our dog found it and chewed off part of the cover... I was just thankful that he didn't devour it. Her picture the next day:

IMG_1516.JPG
Skitter the "rascally nabby" Fiest dog
IMG_1516.JPG (39.78 KiB) Viewed 34356 times
The text read: "I left this journal outside yesterday. That rascally nabby dog Skitter almost chewed it up!"

Just an idea if you have a child who enjoys writing!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

HouseofCockrell

Unread post by HouseofCockrell » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:10 pm

My son loves collections. He has feather collections, rock collections, cicada shell collections, leaf collections, even snake skin collections! :~ My husband and I were searching for a way to contain his collections without compromising all the hard work my son puts forth in "collecting" (and to keep the collections from gathering on my kitchen counter...) when I came across some pocketed plastic sheets made for holding scrapbooking materials like stickers and other embellishments. We put the things he collects in one of the pockets (some pockets hold multiple items, for example, all the Bluejay feathers go in one pocket) and the plastic sheets fit into a large scrapbook or very wide binder (13.5 inches). We are starting MFW Kindergarten soon and I plan on using this with the weekly nature walks while adding more detail such as a card stating when and where the item was found, a fact or two my son knows about the item, and will hopefully tie much of his collecting into our weekly units! This would work well for anyone who has a child who loves collections like mine and may even be the start of a collection for some!! :-) I will try to post a pic later of his Nature Collection scrapbook and maybe it will make more sense... Hopefully someone can use the idea!
I'm Lauren married to my best friend, Mark, since 2005.
Mommy to ds, born 2008 and dd, born 2011.
Once upon a time, I began a teaching career, then left to be a stay-at-home mom. That's when my education really began...:-)

HouseofCockrell

Unread post by HouseofCockrell » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:44 am

My ds is making a poetry journal. We read the poem together each morning after our 100 chart and calendar. Before we start the unit, I print the poem on a plain piece of white paper. The first day, my ds illustrates the poem while I read. The rest of the week he listens and so far, by the end of every week, he has memorized the entire poem!! We are in Unit 6 and he has three by Robert Louis Stevenson, one by Vachel Lindsay, one by George Cooper, and one anonymous short poem about apples I found, all committed to memory! Did I mention he's only four and a half?? He absolutely loves the poems and our whole family loves hearing him recite them! I put all of the illustrated poems in page protectors and added them to his portfolio so he can show them to everyone as he puts on "poetry readings!" When we've finished Kindergarten, I will post a complete list of what poem we chose for each week. It's been a great way to introduce poetry to my ds! :-)
I'm Lauren married to my best friend, Mark, since 2005.
Mommy to ds, born 2008 and dd, born 2011.
Once upon a time, I began a teaching career, then left to be a stay-at-home mom. That's when my education really began...:-)

TriciaMR

Kindy Recipes for Kids W/Food Allergies?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:35 pm

mothermayi wrote:We are doing RTR and Kindy and I noticed a few recipes use peanuts and/or peanut butter. Three of our kiddos are allergic to peanuts so I was wondering if there were any other recipes out there. I planned to substitute almond butter or sunflower butter (if that's what it's called?? LOL) but they don't like it. I really want to do the recipes in the book but wasn't sure how or what to use instead of peanut butter.

I think I'll still make a small sample for myself because I just so happen to LOVE peanuts :-) ...go figure ;) . Thanks!
We have food allergies at our house too (milk). If I can't find a substitute, I don't make the recipe. Have they tried hazelnut butter? I have a friend whose son can only have hazelnuts. Nutella is sticky... Marshmallow cream? Just throwing out some ideas. Cashews?
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Re: Kindy Recipes for Kids W/Food Allergies?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:33 am

mothermayi wrote:My little one is allergic to peanuts, hazelnuts, and eggs. She grew out of her milk allergy. The other kiddos are only allergic to peanuts. I like the idea of Marshmallow Cream! I've never bought it but I'll definitely check the labels when I go to the store. Thanks for the idea!! :-)
My grandson is allergic to nuts and my dd uses Sunbutter for a lot of things. She used to use Nutella but not sure if that's out now that he has tree nut allergies, too.

Here are a few peanut subs for the nest activity (which comes up in a few different years):
playdo http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... =46#p23622
honey http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 082#p48082
more honey (see science section) http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 111#p42111
honey again http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 738#p28738
more http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 665#p25665
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

mothermayi

Re: Kindy Recipes for Kids W/Food Allergies?

Unread post by mothermayi » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:57 am

Julie,

Thanks for the links! Suggestions were honey and caramel. So we now have a yummy list of substitutes:

Marshmallow cream
Sunbutter (maybe they won't notice the taste as much if I mix it with the melted chocolate chips)
Honey
Caramel

Sounds so good! I think I'm going to really enjoy this year :-) . Good thing I just took up yoga because I'm going to need the addition workout ;) .
Returning to MFW for 2015!! :-)
ds13 (8th)--MFW EX1850, EG, WWS, PP Guides, TT 2.0 Pre-Algebra
ds11.5 (7th)--MFW EX1850, AOG, WWS, PP Guides, Singapore 5B-6B
dd7 (2nd)--MFW EX1850, LLFT2, Miquon, AAS1
dd5--MFW K