GHA - Freestyle vs. structured art

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
Tx2mum

GHA - Freestyle vs. structured art

Unread post by Tx2mum » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:33 pm

themama wrote:My daughter loves to draw and color and is very good. But when I teach her art fundamentals (which she is also very good at) she hates it and refuses to use them in her free-style drawing. Frustrated. I'm wondering if with age and maturity she will begin to implement these techniques or if I am just wasting my time teaching them to her.

She is 10 and using God and the History of Art
Well...just talking from experience here...I'm artistic (or was before "life" got in the way! LOL!) and I really dislike "guidance" for my artwork. I hope that I've matured a bit since my earlier years, but still today, I DO NOT like to use examples of others work, techniques from books or practice drawing a picture first and THEN draw/paint/etc. it "for real." Ugh! :) When I am inspired I can tell - the picture just comes out - I don't have to try to think of what to do, it just makes itself. When I have too many "helps" the inspiration dies and the picture lacks.

Now that is not to say that I didn't/don't need improvement in areas. I just don't like to use it - stubborn, huh! ? LOL! The main example I can think of is shading. Before I began taking art in High School, I didn't think shading was very important (hard to believe I was that dumb, but... ;) ) However, I finally decided to "give it a try" and obviously found it added a lot.

Maybe you and she can find a happy medium between free work and instructed work. In my opinion, there was nothing that killed the joy of art class more than finding out we were doing a still life! :-)

cbollin

Re: structured art

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:24 am

I would probably "teach" the method even if it were just a model I'm drawing on a dry erase board to show the technique. Then I'd not push her to "have" to do it that way until she is really wanting it to look "better" or whatever.

I know with the art I do (I'm an exercise instructor) there are certain things that I "have" to do correctly, and then other things I have a little bit of free style with the arms, or "looking funky" or "have some ad lib" throw in. And as much as I dislike having to unlearn improper things I've done as a student (like that hip walk thingy, or that whole shoulder roll thing....), I learned that I needed to learn proper technique to make the art form shine.

Maybe 'art instruction" could just be done at a different time of day from "art work".

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:03 pm

During some years, I just used God & the History of Art for art appreciation/historical understanding. My ds did art in co-op or sometimes did other things at home. If he were more serious about art, I might have introduced him to the GHA art lessons every year, because they really are pretty good, but not made him "use" them -- something like I do with Singapore lessons.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Tx2mum

Unread post by Tx2mum » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:23 pm

themama wrote:So, Tx2mum--I am wasting my time?
No...I don't think I'd say you're wasting your time. I mean, if I'd never been taught to shade, I would never have known how to, and my pictures would still look "flat." I'm not sure the best way to balance it. I like the idea from cbollin about demonstrating a technique and then setting it aside until future need of it. She might even start trying it on her own and would then feel like it was "hers" and not someone elses. Again, I'm just remembering my feelings from when I was still an immature child. As a parent now, I can see them a little differently. So...shrug...I'm not sure any of that helps much! LOL!

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:26 pm

I see my oldest do this. We'll learn something and she'll be all huffy, so I won't press it. But then, the next time she decides to draw "fairies" or something, I'll see her incorporate a technique. But I never *make* her do it if she doesn't want to. There's not enough time in the day to have battles over it. :)

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Fly2Peace

Unread post by Fly2Peace » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:46 pm

I started college as an Art major (I am now a programmer, so you can see how far I have diversified), however, my experience there was that I had a sort of Thomas Kinkade style (this was before the days of his work being everywhere, and well known). My instructor didn't like it. Said art wasn't supposed to look so realistic, that if he wanted that he could use a camera. He pretty much killed my love of art, because that open free fling the paint style was not me. So, I am very open in what I accept for artwork. If you let them know there are options, such as shading to make their work less flat, and they choose not to use it, maybe they want it to look flat. Or maybe ask them to do a quick drawing each way (a simple sphere for instance), to demonstrate that they understand what you are saying, but are choosing their own style. I hope this makes some sense... sometimes as much can be learned by looking at good art as doing it too.
Fly2Peace (versus flying to pieces)