Feasts - Does CTG celebrate these holidays?

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:05 pm

More threads on the Old Testament Feasts:

Ideas for Fall Feasts & Holy Days in CTG: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4769

Ideas for Spring Feasts & Holy Days in CTG viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4754

hollyjay

Unread post by hollyjay » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:18 pm

druthardt wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:05 pm
I also am excited about the biblical holidays teachings. Does My Father's World address these holidays?
Dawn,
MFW has us celebrating the Biblical feasts/holidays in the Creation to Greeks year. We've tried a couple, and missed a couple too. Sometimes it's hard to set aside the time for those things - it seems like there are so many things going on on weekends these days!! We've had a good time with the ones we were able to do though. I'm hoping to try Passover in the spring. It's on my birthday this year so that should be kinda fun! We'd also like to do another Sabbath celebration - we weren't able to do it justice this fall!
Holly
Holly Isaac,
wife of Jason (20 yrs),
mom of Allison (17), Kirsten (14) & Heather (12)

Homeschooling with MFW since 2004. We've used ECC through 1850-Mod Times.

Julie in MN

Feasts

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:38 pm

druthardt wrote:Does My Father's World address these holidays?
Dawn,
Holly is correct, Creation to the Greeks includes celebrating the Sabbath and all 6 Biblically-instructed feasts. There are thorough instructions, and I only got an "extra" book to boost my personal confidence LOL! MFW is complete -- daily grids, page numbers, correlation between different books, do-able chunks so you know about how much can be done in a day, review, and multiple ways of learning!

One thing I have learned so far this year is that celebrating the feasts is not the "precise, holy, scary" thing I feared. We have attended a Messianic congregation's celebration and read many books written for Jewish families, and found there are many levels & styles of celebration just as there are with our Christian holidays. Our level of precision has been all over the board, but we have been learning lots about God!

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:46 pm

I've just got to comment on what Julie said.

If you do CTG, by all means, DO the feasts. They mean so much. Not only do they tie in to the subject matter of CTG's history, but they really bring the Old Testament alive and they link us Christians to the Jews. We can celebrate because we're adopted into the family.

And, Julie is right, it's not a big scary thing, but it's an adventure that each family does differently. For us, we enjoyed making the challah bread, but the next family might enjoy visiting a bakery and buying theirs. We actually bought a brass menorah (good ol' ebay) but the next family might make one from clay. We celebrated with our family, but maybe someone else is in a co-op that gets a bunch of families together. We visited two temples (a reform Jewish one and messianic one). That was very interesting and enjoyable.

It's tempting to skip the feasts and simply talk about them, but I really think that they can be a special time for the family and a time to learn and celebrate at the same time.

I was overwhelmed when I first read through the CTG TM and also Celebrate the Feasts, but I am glad I took it one day at a time and took the time to include this part of CTG in our year.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

JoyfulDancer

Unread post by JoyfulDancer » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:48 pm

Hi Dawn, welcome. MFW1 also had us do a Shabbat dinner and celebrate Purim.

Holly,
I am messianic and have always celebrated the Jewish holidays, and believe me, it never gets easier to fit them all in and do them justice, especially the ones that fall in the middle of the week, or for a week at a time.

Julie,
Yes, you are right. Everyone's observance is as individual as their family, so we can all relax and enjoy. Personally I'm hoping to do more about Succoth next year :)

Laurie

hollyjay

Unread post by hollyjay » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:18 am

I have to agree that the Celebrate the Feasts book was very helpful and it wasn't hard to do the ones we've done (just hard to fit it in timewise sometimes). The plans and recipes were easy. We made the honey cakes (and the other things) and my girls loved that! It's been neat to focus on the different holidays and feasts and understand better the significance of them! We also checked out some Jewish storybooks from our library that we enjoyed. I wish we'd gone to a service though! It never even occured to me until I read about others doing it here! I guess we still could, but the fall celebrations are over now, aren't they?

One of our closest friends in our church is Jewish, but I don't think they observe every feast, although I know they do some (and have some really yummy food!). :-) Our church has a Hebrew Worship dance team that sometimes "performs" and that's very meaningful! The lady that heads it up is very knowledgeable regarding anything Jewish and the feasts. It's been wonderful having discussions with her!
Holly
Holly Isaac,
wife of Jason (20 yrs),

Julie in MN

Booth locations!

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:11 am

True confessions: Our "booth" was in our family room! And it was a week or more late! We actually started it outside (the right week, too!), but it was so cold and/or wet every night in Minnesota that we were all looking out the window & saying, "How long do we have to be out there?"

I had dh drive thru a few neighborhoods we knew to be Jewish every day on his way to work to look for booths & see what Minnesotans were doing. He saw none! So I am assuming a lot of families do it indoors here?

We put ours in front of a big window so we could peek at the stars. It was a bit in the way that week, but we managed & I'm sure it'll be a lasting family memory!
Julie
Picture: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4769&p=27743#p27737
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

hollyjay

Unread post by hollyjay » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:45 pm

That's funny Julie! We tried to start ours on time, but we had the same problem here in Oregon - cold and rainy! Plus we had unexpected company that week... So, ours was a little late too, but we still did it outside. Our girls transformed their play-structure outside into a succah and hung out out there and ate their meal out there. They enjoyed it until they spotted spiders! Heh heh... And then, of course, the rain started up again.
Holly
Holly Isaac,
wife of Jason (20 yrs),