Book Basket - Describe how it's used in CTG

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
MelissaB

Book Basket - Describe how it's used in CTG

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:26 pm

JOYFULFARMGIRL wrote:I DO have a lot of questions lately, so please forgive me! We are settled on doing MFW AHL for the oldest, now considering C to G for the younger 6!

The book basket idea, I understand it, but just want to clarify...it DOES include books from the time period being studied, correct? For example, I'd hope to see more historical fiction and maybe biographies on the list for the C to G period.

Is it also correct that they are not exclusively connected to the time period? If it is a combo, approximately what percentage, say in the C to G TM are historically connected vis a vis others that are not?

Thanks so much,
JFG :)
We just finished CTG this spring. Forgive me, but we've started RTR, and my memory may already be a bit rusty. :)

If I remember correctly, all of the book recommendations listed by week in the TM Appendix will cover topics related to what's taught that week, including books for the time period you're studying, and also topics studied in science, biographies of the composers you'll be studying this year, etc..

It's a pretty exhaustive list; but if there are a number of books not available at your library, there's a heading at the beginning of each list you can use as a "search."

In the very, very back of the TM's Appendix, there's a broader reading list called "Recommended List for General Reading." That same list is in all of the teacher's manuals, I think. At least K thru RTR. It's just for fun. :)

Enjoy CTG! :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

JOYFULFARMGIRL

Re: C to G and Book basket

Unread post by JOYFULFARMGIRL » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:22 pm

Thanks Melissa. I didn't realize there was a list in the Appendix as well. So the books listed there are not required then, right?

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:45 am

JOYFULFARMGIRL wrote:Thanks Melissa. I didn't realize there was a list in the Appendix as well. So the books listed there are not required then, right?
The appendix in manuals is the thematically related book basket list as well as a "general classics literature list by grade levels. In first editions there were things that are now in the student sheets that are no longer in the appendix.

Book basket recommendations are not required in order to do a MFW program. They are enrichment reading. You will find some historical fiction, some non fiction, books on science topics, composers/art, and other topics done that week. I don't know the percentages and it's not an important thing to figure out. In CTG, the book basket suggestions might be harder to find at libraries because not all libraries have a lot in their collections for that time frame for children. I know I did some cross referencing from a few other curriculum companies to find a few other historical fiction titles. So if you don't have enough in book basket list, it's ok to look at another list and say "oh.. my child might like that historical fiction book". If you have AHL lesson planner as well, there's a list in there for some historical fiction that is easier to read than the AHL package books. Maybe in the current CTG manuals those same titles are listed. my ctg manual is very old... so ? ? ?

you don't have to get lots and lots of extra readings to make MFW work. I know the last time I did CTG, I barely knew where the libaries were in my new city. I order 3 historical fiction books. Used what was available and we still had a really good year.

Take a glance over the catalog on How is Literature Included?

that tries to sum up the fine line differences on book basket and other reading. Once you get started and have books in hand, it's easy to get it.
-crystal

JOYFULFARMGIRL

Unread post by JOYFULFARMGIRL » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:29 pm

Thanks again for explaining! and the brochure really helped too. :-)
JFG