Hands-on in CTG - User conversations

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
cbollin

Hands-on in CTG - User conversations

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:10 am

Hands-on - Does the basic package include projects?
Elissa Baker wrote:I would like to hear anyone's experiences / opinions who has used (or is using) Ctg, but is not using God and the History of Art. Are there a lot of projects included in the lesson plans? (Besides those listed for GatHoA.) Thanks for your input!
At the simplest level there were some basic color in sheets from the appendix.

There were some suggested games – Senet Game (from Egypt) and Knucklebones from Greece.

There was the Biblical Feast celebrations.

There was a make a tabernacle project.

Lots of pyramid projects – I think that was considered science lessons.

Making a cartouche (ancient Egypt / Hieroglyphics).

There were suggested projects from the Ancient Egypt book

Oh yeah, the frogs & the ten plagues.

The popcorn ‘Manna” and various food related projects.

I’m sure I’m forgetting something there. And this was all from lesson plans and books included in the basic package. I thought we had plenty to do over the year.
hth
crystal

Julie in MN

Art in CTG

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:54 pm

Crystal has given you lots of the projects. I would add:
* 4 open-ended art days while listening to Vivaldi's 4 seasons
* option to make your own Bible costume for reenacting the 10 plagues
* centerpieces for the Feasts
* 10 commandments poster
* clay house
* Art appreciation through the many Old Testament art books on the library list. I bought one of these & we use it sort of like we did "Looking At Pictures" (read, discuss, keep it out to look at all week).

As Crystal said, there are probably others we aren't thinking of. It doesn't feel like ECC to me, where it was every week. But many of the major history & Bible points are reinforced with a hands-on project. I would say the tabernacle & plagues are the biggest "projects" of the year & there is plenty of time allowed for them.

The Ancient Egypt & other library books also have projects that are not in CTG but are there for you if you wish. My ds insisted he make the King Tut mask.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

courthart246

CTG - Do you do all of the projects?

Unread post by courthart246 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:44 pm

I'm dealing with a little bit of self-inflicted guilt right now, and I was wondering if I'm the only one who skips some of the projects in CTG? We are on Week 8. Besides the history projects and feasts, there are also the science experiments. While my kids enjoy hands-on things, I am finding this to get expensive, as we often have to buy something in order to complete the history projects or science experiments. I know that we are supposed to make this curriculum our own, but I just want to make sure that we are not missing out by skipping some of these things. What do you feel are the most important things that we should not skip? What things are not so important? We are trying to make sure to do the feasts, though we have not yet done Sukkoth and it was scheduled several weeks ago. We still plan to do it sometime. We have skipped some science experiments and a couple of history hands on projects. If we don't get back to them, are we missing something crucial? Help! I don't want my kids to miss out, but some of the hands on is getting expensive and overwhelming! We are also doing MFW K, so there is a lot of hands on in that too, though I have not really found that to be as difficult. Most of the items needed we have around the house, and the projects are easy. My CTG boy is not very independent with hands on projects, so I mostly have to do them or stand right by him while he does them. Any imput on prioritizing would be appreciated.
Courtney
Married 20 Years to Jamie
Loving MFW along with my three kids:
ds - 16 (World History and Literature)
ds - 13 (Exploration to 1850)
dd - 10 (Exploration to 1850)

caod

CTG - Do you do all of the projects?

Unread post by caod » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:18 pm

courthart246 wrote:I'm dealing with a little bit of self-inflicted guilt right now, and I was wondering if I'm the only one who skips some of the projects in CTG? I know that we are supposed to make this curriculum our own, but I just want to make sure that we are not missing out by skipping some of these things. What do you feel are the most important things that we should not skip? What things are not so important? We are trying to make sure to do the feasts, though we have not yet done Sukkoth and it was scheduled several weeks ago. We have skipped some science experiments and a couple of history hands on projects. If we don't get back to them, are we missing something crucial? Help!

We are also doing MFW K, so there is a lot of hands on in that too, though the projects are easy. My CTG boy is not very independent with hands on projects. Any imput on prioritizing would be appreciated.
We are presently on week 6 in CTG. We are not doing the science portion. We are reading the pyramid book but have not done the experiments.

We are in a coop and they are participating in that science class. I couldn't do it all. I have never been a very good project person. We do them as they fit into our routine and if I can implement what I have around the house.

We are ones that get as many of the books as we possibly can and make some of those our read alouds as well the read alouds that are scheduled. Our family loves the books. We are not as much project people. We did build a pyramid out of our math u see blocks. We had to add some cuisinaire rods to make to it complete but it got the point across and was pretty painless.

That is just a description of what we have done. Take it for what it is worth.
Connie

niki

Unread post by niki » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:17 pm

Hi - we're in week 9 CTG and also haven't done "all" the projects.

My kids are now getting more self directed. I was going to post this today because I was soo.. excited and proud that something like this finally happened in MY house!! Book basket has had many science books in it with some simple and some really complex experiments. Well, my dd said, "Is it still book basket if I do something in this book?" DUH! HOORAY my heart jumped! Well, that to say I let them go with whatever they can manage to make happen themselves and it's been a great experience for them and for me to see what they can do on their own.

Don't worry, you're doing a great job. More things will happen here and there. There are plenty of science activities in the Genesis book that didn't really take much prep. Go with what you can do! Don't be too hard on yourself. Even if you can't do the experiment, talk about what they think would happen and why.
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:35 pm

Dear Courtney

Just a reminder that in Creation to Greeks Marie does mention in the teaching tips under Science that "if time or interest is limited, feel free to omit some experiments from each chapter." She also says, "If you have difficulty gathering materials for a particular experiment, you may omit it." There are lots of experiments and although all of them are scheduled for those who have a strong interest in science, she realizes that some families will not have the time or the interest or the money to find and purchase certain items. If he enjoys the MFW K science, let him join he with that too.

As far as the feast, Marie does suggest that if you are overwhelmed to "choose a small portion of each feast in which to participate." You can read this under Old Testament Feasts in the teaching tips. Since your oldest is a bit young for CTG you may choose to do a modified version this time around and when you come to this again when he is 13(8th grade) you can do them more fully.

I wanted to do all of the feast but the year we were doing this my husband was in school so we did a few but not all of them. We have gone back and done some of them in other years because we knew what a great experience the others had been.

We did not do all of the experiments, but my kids really liked these, so if we had the materials or it was something that I could put on my grocery list or drug store list, we tried to do them. My kids were 3rd and 5th grade.

I hope that helps you to relieve you of any guilt. It is o.k. if you are not doing every project.
Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:09 pm

Hi Courtney!
We are getting ready to go into wk 13 of CTG and start Nn Nest in K next week.

I recently posted about the science... Time, lack of enthusiasm on my part and also supplies was our issue. We completely skipped it the last 2 weeks, but through another mom's advice, we picked it back up Monday while DH was home for Columbus Day...I think he's going to take over all the science projects, yay!

I did re-read the notes in the TM, and Lucy is right, Marie does say to pick and choose...so that is our plan for now....GUILT is no longer OK for me. We are doing all we can, and omitting a thing or two here and there in science is how we have to do things right now.

Feasts...we did Sabbath and some Rosh Hashanah and left out Yom Kippur altogether. I think from here on out we will just do part of the celebration making sure the kids get the meaning.

Sorry my reply is so long, but I feel like I could have written your post, and wanted to share your pain, and let you know that you are not alone.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

courthart246

Unread post by courthart246 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:42 pm

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful replies. After realizing from Lucy's post that many of these things can be skipped as stated in the teacher's manual, I feel much better. I also appreciate the suggestions and encouragement.

Yes, my oldest is only 8. We skipped K with him. I am one of the posters who jumps in when someone wants to skip K and says DON'T DO IT! He is doing 4th grade work now at 8 and is doing fine, but I definitely see how it would have been better not to skip K. My 5 yo and I are so enjoying it.

We will plan on scaling down Sukkoth, but we will definitely do it. We will also do whatever science experiments are manageable and encourage reading of the book basket books.

Thanks again for your replies and support. I always know I can count on help and encouragement from this board.
Courtney
Married 20 Years to Jamie
Loving MFW along with my three kids:
ds - 16 (World History and Literature)
ds - 13 (Exploration to 1850)
dd - 10 (Exploration to 1850)

Toni@homezcool4us

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:05 pm

Okay, here's my own personal story on this, as it applies to me. In past years, we've skipped some of the hands-on and there has been guilt over it. But with experience comes wisdom. ;) Here is what I've learned about myself.

If we skip activities because I have been lacking in planning and organization (due to circumstances within my control), I feel unrested about it and frankly that's my own fault.

However, if we skip activities because of circumstances beyond my control or if we skip because we just cannot keep up and it wouldn't be in our best interest to force that activity (and possibly squelch the joy of learning), then we just go ahead and skip it. No guilt.

So, this is just my own personal gauge as to whether eliminating something is justified or not.

This year, I'm making very good attempts to catch any missed activities on the weekends (the ones I reallly would have liked to do, that is).
Blessings!
A proud adoptive mom of 4 children,
~Toni~
I invite you to join me THE WISE WOMAN BUILDS HER HOUSE

jamesandjennie

My 11yo son's thoughts on home school this year

Unread post by jamesandjennie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:17 am

I sat down my son yesterday for a chat. I wanted his input on how he feels about various subjects and school in general to see if any routines or expectations need to be revised. His responses SHOCKED me.

Moral of the story - it's amazing what you can find out from your kids if you just ask. :)

MFW CtG
He says: "All I do is read. It needs more creative stuff and projects.

I say: WHAT?!!! That is TOTALLY my fault. There have been projects that I either skipped because I was careless and didn't notice, because I didn't feel up to it, or because I didn't think he would enjoy them.

There have also been projects that I let him skimp on. For example, building a pyramid. He just cut out the paper one and glued it together. When I explained to him that he could have made one out of Legos, or sketched a cross section of a pyramid, or made one out of clay and etched the bricks, etc, etc, he was like "OH! Really? Cool!"

I am so happy that I sat and talked with him now rather than later. I learned a lot, including ways to make homeschool more enjoyable and productive for both of us. We haven't been getting the most out of MFW (or MuhFubaWoo as he affectionately calls it) and now I feel more confident in how I can utilize this great curriculum to his best benefit. I think he also has a better idea that he can take the initiative to customize much of his own learning. I stressed to him that this is the beauty of home schooling! Now that he realizes this he is more excited. I am looking forward to seeing where his delight takes him. It is sure to be a great year. :)
Jenn, wife to James and mom to:
Trent, 6th doing CtG
Gavin, K doing MFWK
Abbie, 3.5yo tagging along with MFWK just for fun
Carolyn, 2yo, who scribbles in my lap the whole time. :)
and Baby Girl due in October