GHA - Multiple copies of book or of pages?

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
cbollin

GHA - Multiple copies of book or of pages?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:03 am

Guest wrote:Does each student need a copy of this book? I have 3 kids and these would be very expensive. Thanks,
Linda
You don't have to have more than one copy of this book. Individual families are permitted to copy the project pages within the family. This book is used over about 4 years of history.

crystal

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:23 pm

You can definitely get by with one book but we bought both our "big girls" their own book. We started with just one book and found that it was hard keeping track of the copies and the copies got sort of raggy. We don't regret our decision to get each girl a copy.

It IS expensive but if you've got kind grandma wanting to spoil the kids, maybe you can hint.

Also, do keep in mind that the book is reasonably priced when you consider it's used for four years (oh, and at the pace we're completing our books, it might be closer to six).
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:09 am

Thanks you guys. That really helps me. I'll definitely have to page through the ones you mentioned at conference.

I know this has been brought up before, and I can get a better look at it at the conference, but I was wondering if I could get a couple more opinions on whether or not to purchase additional copies of the History of Art book. Our kids do have their own copies of I Can Do All Things, which has been helpful. I think that program would not work as well in a separate sketch pad. I would have had to make way too many copies with that program.

So what do think, share a History of Art book or get separate copies?
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:53 am

One of the differences between the style in I Can Do All Things and GATHOA is that in ICDAT just about every page has art work to do. GATHOA has a lot of pages that are history and informational and not necessarily an activity lesson.

You can either copy the lesson pages and keep a folder or just buy additional copies of the book. At first it looks expensive to buy for each child -- but if you take into consideration this book is used for 4 years, then it is reasonable per child.

If you get a chance to go to a convention this year, take a look at the book to see if you would prefer to use the book as a master set to make copies or to purchase one per child.

Another advantage to purchasing for each child (instead of making copies and then having to file them) is that the book doubles as a ready made art portfolio.

But you will need a set of paint cards for each child for this book.

crystal

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:16 pm
It is used over 4 academic years.

advantages of each child having own copy: ready made portfolio, don't have to deal with copies -- including having to get the paint and marker cards.

advantage to not getting each child one copy right away --- you can just make copies of "just" the art assignments for the younger kids. Then you would be able to decide if it is worth it.

You don't *have* to get each child a copy right away. When I first used GATHOA, I thought I'd just make copies as we went along. And then younger sib ended up using I Can Do All Things instead. She'll get her own full book of GATHOA in about another year when we do CTG again.

I've heard Kelly Bell suggest that each child get for because it is cost effective over the years, and ready made portfolios. I think she even suggested a few times to ask for them as "birthday or Christmas gift" from grand parents??

-crystal

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:33 am

I decided to just copy for each child (I will have 5 using it eventually). We put the pages in page protectors in a 3 ring binder. I like doing this because if they mess up I can copy them another page. I would estimate about 50 copies per child. I have a copier at home so it's not hard for me but even if you don't, going somewhere and copying it all at once for the whole year and keeping it in a file folder until you need them is cheaper than buying a book for each child. There are a lot of pages that are just reading.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

Julie in MN

Using God and the History of Art - copy the book?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed May 27, 2009 8:32 am

Lisa M wrote:I'm looking for ideas as to how you use God and the History of Art with multiple children. Did you take the book to a printer to have it cut and copied? Do you copy one page at a time?
First of all, I wouldn't make copies of the reading matter, but only the spaces for actual drawing.

And even then, you won't need every drawing box to be copied. When I started GHA, I remember sitting down with the book and deciding which pages I would copy, vs. which pages ds could just do on blank paper. Actually I think I had 2 kids doing it at the time.

In CTG, I went through the first half of the teacher's manual week by week, located the assignment, and evaluated whether I felt they would actually need that page to write on (or whether it would be cool to have that page to write on because there was something interesting on the page). It didn't really take long, since art was only scheduled once a week or so, which is what? 32 lessons? probably less since it isn't usually scheduled the first week or two, a few lessons are just reading, etc.

Once I had my list, I got some heavier paper (25 pound I think) and brought my own paper over to Kinko's. I didn't have a home copier then, but even if I had, I prefer doing large projects where I have lots of space, quiet, & someone else's ink ;)

As I recall, over the year I realized blank paper worked well with even more lessons than I'd thought. Plus, we often like to go outside of the assignment, maybe doing more or less, so blank paper is good at our house.

In RTR, I just copied as I went & used a lot more blank pieces of paper.

By Year 4, ds had not blossomed into an artist, so we were doing all of the reading but much less of the art. He also got some major art in co-op. However, I am VERY glad he has had the art history lessons -- seeing how man's worldview ties into their entire culture as time goes on is priceless!

So that's one way to think it thru.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

HSmommi2mine

Re: Using God and the History of Art - copy the book?

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Wed May 27, 2009 8:51 am

I did have the binding cut off and then I just copy the pages as necessary. The whole thing doesn't need to be copied, but many pages do.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

bunnytracks

Unread post by bunnytracks » Wed May 27, 2009 11:53 am

I don't copy the pages. I bought a sketch pad from walmart and use that for the places that drawing is called for. The pages in the sketch book are thin enough for the kids to trace any thing from the book that might be needed. So far it has worked for us. Of course it is more work for the kids but they enjoy it and it saves me printer ink or the cost of another book. For quizzed/Exams we just write the answer on the sketch pad.
Proud wife 14 years to my Air Force man.
Homeschooling mom of 5 (4 boys and 1 girl)
I have used MFW ADV, ECC, and K

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Wed May 27, 2009 2:33 pm

We just do the assignment on regular printer paper (which we HAVE to buy in bulk at Office Depot). My older 2 boys (6 and 4) even join in sometimes. So far, it's worked for us. I put all 4 of their completed work in 1 binder and we look through it every once in a while, the kids like to see how they've improved over the 1 1/2 yrs we've been using it.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

AnnieMarie

How to Copy?

Unread post by AnnieMarie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:27 pm

I have found pdfs of God and the history of ART with videos to go with some of the lessons!!!!! For someone who can't draw or teach art it has been a blessing.
http://www.howgreatthouart.com/tv. I've been able to print those without ruining the book :-)
AnnieMarie

DD 14 MFWK-1850Mod 2nd cycle ECC CTG AHL
DD 10 MFWK, MFW1, 1850Mod-RTR
DD 5 MFWK, MFW1 ECC-RTR

cbollin

God & the History of Art

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:39 am

BHelf wrote:Talk to me about this program....was I supposed to order one book per kid? Or can I make copies of the pages that they are supposed to draw on? Or do they just need to draw on blank pieces of paper? Or....? ;)

I did buy extra paint and marker cards for all my kiddos but I'm wondering about the specific lessons in the books where there is a box with an example and it wants you to do the same thing. (Like lesson one asks you to draw/paint the butterfly holding the paintbrushes or whatever with your mouth.)

Thanks!
Brooke
any of the above will work :)

for a while I was copying the pages for middle gal... that worked. (oldest was in the book)

then, when she reached 5th grade and was starting CTG, I got her a copy of the book to do. now she has her books for CTG-1850MOD.

you might want to "wait and see" which way works better for your family.

-crystal

BHelf

Re: God & the History of Art

Unread post by BHelf » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks! I will copy those pages for now. My middle two LOVE art but I don't know how much they will actually participate in. Ya know?

Appreciate the help, Crystal!
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

Jami

Unread post by Jami » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:51 pm

I have two kids using this book and I copy the pages for both of them. They put them in their binder and I have the un-used book for the next go-around in five years. We have a copier at home and I don't know how it compares price-wise (the price of the book vs. the price of ink), but I like having most of their work for the year in the same binder. It's also easier for my kids to draw on a flat sheet of paper so the binding of the book doesn't get in the way.

Just another opinion. :)
Jami - AF Wife

8th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, Pre-K

2014/15 ECC
2013/14 1850MT & 1st
2012/13 EX1850 & K
2011/12 RTR & 1st
2010/11 CTG & K
2009/10 ECC & 1st
2008/09 ADV & K

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Jami wrote:I have two kids using this book and I copy the pages for both of them.
We did it this same way for ICDAT and it's my plan for God and the History of Art. It worked for us.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:42 pm

I copied a few of the pages from the book when there was something they really needed the picture in the book next to the sketch box that is often on the page.

However - I bought a nice sketchbook - I will probably spend the money on a new one every year after this - because I like how it works. They have sturdy covers and are spiral bound. I have mostly had them do the items from GATHOA and for my 1st grader from DWC right into the sketch book. If the item needed copies made - I just copied the page & glued it into the sketch book. This has worked very well for us. It creates a nice keepsake and preserves the GATHOA book for future use since my dd will use CTG later.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

sewardmom

Unread post by sewardmom » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:39 pm

We purchased a nice sketchpad for each student and they used it for God and the History of Art for assignments that would have been photocopied from the book. We rotated the text book and/or shared with it on a table between them when possible/necessary. We used the same sketchpads for nature walks and other misc. art projects. They were used over several years and it worked for us.

~Terri
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....

BHelf

Unread post by BHelf » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Oh, I like the sketchpad idea...may have to find some nice ones for my kiddos. They would love that.

Thanks for the ideas!!

Brooke
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:09 am

I copy pages where it's necessary to have the pictures that are in the book; otherwise we just use blank paper. Not even great paper, just printer paper. The sketchbook idea is a good one - but then you won't have the pages included that come from the book, but maybe that doesn't matter. Hmmm. I should at least get dd some better paper, maybe. :)
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

TriciaMR

God & History of Art question

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed May 09, 2012 10:11 pm

SusanH wrote:It says in the description that one should be purchased for each student - I will have 2 4th graders and 1 6th grader. Is it really necessary for each of them to have their own, if not, how much photocopying is it? Thanks
I have 1 copy for 3 students. Many times I just give the kids a blank piece of paper to do the work on. Sometimes I copy it. This year (EXP1850), we've not done as much of the art projects, but have read it for the history information. I haven't copied that much.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Kelly1730

Re: God & History of Art question

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:32 am

I always copy the pages for my two children. It's not been a problem.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

cbollin

God and history of Art

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:53 am

HeyChelle wrote:So on the assignments that a paint and marker card is not provided... Do you just photo copy the page out of the book? Example lesson #2.
I ended up with 2 copies of the book. ready made portfolio... etc..
so , we draw directly in the book.

mileage will vary. I know I started off photocopying the pages... ended up with 2nd copy of book for 2nd child instead. just a preference, not an ugh... too much to copy thing.

-crystal

TriciaMR

Re: God and history of Art

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Yeah, I just copied out of the book.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:27 pm

Copy here, too.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:57 pm

We copied also.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:45 pm

We sometimes copied or used blank drawing paper, which is another option. We spent more time on the historical lessons than the art lessons, so that would make a difference in whether you want to purchase, as well.

Here are a few more experiences on the topic:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1382

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs