Bible in CTG

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
Julie in MN

Bible in CTG

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:17 pm

albanyaloe wrote:I really have loved MFW so far. We want to study Ancient History next. I actually have not found anything else that is more suitable than MFW, but I still have questions about CTG.

One thing that I thought would be a little more in depth in ECC was the Bible portion, but perhaps that is because we used Weaver and a Greenleaf Guide before. I really would love a Ancient History curriculum that focuses mainly on the Bible. For us, the scripture part is the main emphasis, and starting point of our curriculum, but I cannot manage to set it all out alone. That is where MFW has helped- the guide was a big time saver. I added activities/more discussion to the ECC Bible this year. It's not a big issue if I must do this with CTG, but I just want to know what thoughts were about the Bible part of CTG?

Also, does CTG cover/mention a few of the other ancient cultures, or just Egypt and Greece?

I noticed on the website, it says that MFW holds to a 6day creation belief, but that the curriculum can be used by anyone. Does that mean that they've excluded the evolutionary content, but do not necessarily teach certain controversial topics (for example 6000 year old earth) in the books/TM? I was hoping to get a bit of guidance with this, as it effects how you teach ancient history, but if I understand from the website, they have left it open to interpretation. Can someone expand this a bit for me please?

And lastly, with the Deluxe package, did you find that you needed to purchase many more books/supplies for younger learners (First and Third Grade) or were they interested in what the MFW package offered? Are the activities advanced or are some basic enough for younger students?

Many thanks in advance for your replies.
Lindy
Hi Lindy,
I'll start and hopefully some folks doing CTG this year will be around this summer?

Your last question: I did CTG with a 4th grader and didn't need to add anything, but each family is different. I've heard some families say CTG was a very easy day and others say it seemed advanced, so likely it's somewhere in between :) Some of that, of course, is what you do with the assignments. I'm way into notebooking, so I had my son make a notebook page on each feast, and got some stickers and such for that (used mostly online images, tho).

Your 1st question: ECC Bible is different than CTG. To me, they are both a full part of the day, just not the same.

ECC:
- The Book of Matthew, line by line (the "sending Gospel")
- Praying for the world daily
- Intro to religions of the world
- Focus on John 3:16 and Bible translation
- Hero traits/Hero tales
- Missionary bios and Gospel analogy in read-alouds
- Memory verses

CTG:
- Reading significant portions of the Old Testament, not line-by-line but covering most major stories and events
- Seeing and reading about some of the details, like a map of an area or a picture of the money (Journey book)
- Celebrating the 6 major Biblical feasts, seeing God's hand in setting up redemption first through the feasts and the rituals, and then leading to Jesus (some of the dates and events are directly correlated, such as Passover/Last supper, Counting the Omer/Resurection, Pentecost/Pentecost).
- An early form of apologetics, comparing other ancient societies/writings/religions to the Bible, such as the 10 plagues being a judgment on specific Egyptian gods

However, they are the same in that they are an elementary level and are not reading through the entire Bible (Greenleaf goes through Old Testament history books). I've used Greenleaf Old Testament twice, but both times with high schoolers. I've felt my youngest did better with more hands-on reinforcement, rather than questions, but each family will be different that way. I think you could probably use CTG and still read through line-by-line like you are used to, if you have time, especially with dad (at least through the history books that are covered in Greenleaf, if that's what you use).

I just encourage you not to skip the hands-on reinforcement during these years. My youngest has done it both ways, and he remembers the hands-on the best :) We built a model tabernacle, reenacted the 10 plagues (frogs were everywhere even years later!), and blew our "Coke bottle" shofar each morning of the feasts.

Your other 2 questions:
Yes, other cultures are touched on. If you look at the CTG sample teacher's manual and scroll to the table-of-contents, you'll see a lot of them listed. http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/40/15/0/1#samples

As for creationism, the AIG book about dinosaurs that's in the CTG package will talk about how dinos could have been alive alongside humans. Other materials also lean towards a young earth explanation, including the study of creation in the first weeks with the timeline, and Streams with coverage of the spreading of people groups across the earth according to the Biblical record. Since I haven't done CTG in quite a few years, I'm not remembering every detail, but your children will learn the Biblical record of history without a lot of controversial discussion until they get to high school.

Does that help a bit?
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Re: CTG- a few questions

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:54 pm

Hugs to you...

I liked the Bible in CTG. I thought it was balanced. It is also your history for the year, so it almost feels like a double-dose. We liked acting out the plagues, and did most of the feasts (although sometimes quite simplified). I had Twin K kids, and a 4th grader that year, and the twins sat in on most of the Bible/History of CTG. I don't think I bought them the student sheets because they had their K program that year.

I would get a set of student sheets for the 3rd grader, but not the 1st grader. Looking in the catalog, the only other "extra" is paint and marker cards. You have permission to copy those. Depends if the 3rd grader is interested in art or not. I only have one set and the God and the History of Art books. If the kids wanted to try an art lesson, I copied the page, or just had them do it freehand on regular printer paper.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

unitlovinmama

Re: CTG- a few questions

Unread post by unitlovinmama » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi Lindy! I remember you from the Weaver boards "way back" when we were both doing the Interlock together! I haven't caught you on here before but this past year was also our first with MFW and we did ECC and absolutely loved it. We have already purchased CTG and after looking at the teacher's guide, I am so very excited for the coming year. A bit nervous too as it is a bit different than ECC, but I'm actually quite happy that we will be doing a survey of the OT in one year. I loved that Weaver derived everything from the Bible and that is what I love about MFW- except all the planning is done for me! We got through Volume 4 and it certainly didn't go through every verse of scripture, but I often read them at least a chapter a day. I was nervous to do JUST the book of Matthew with ECC but we really savored it and enjoyed it so much. I'm hoping our survey of the OT can be a bit like that too. I am reminded how God can speak to me and my children through even one verse.

I have a soon-to-be four year old who won't be part of CTG, so I can't say what might be added for younger children of school age, but I know that when I was doing the Interlock with my oldest, my second child learned so much even at a very young age just by being included in the projects. I think celebrating the feasts and building the tabernacle will be such wonderful learning experiences for all the children. Also, I find they remember the read alouds and learn so much from those too. This is what I have always loved about unit studies, the whole family learning together. I think my biggest lessons this year is that homeschooling goes so far beyond the books. It is true education :)
-Stephanie, HSing for 5 yrs, first year with MFW 2012-1013 (ECC).
Wife of 12 yrs, mama to three crazy but amazing kids (9, 7, and 3)
"May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us..." Psalm 90:17

Knittinfarmgirl

CtG Bible

Unread post by Knittinfarmgirl » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:18 am

Julie in MN wrote:Yes, the Bible portion is priceless. I do it even with my public-schooled grandson. We both love it, and it really gets done because it's organized and scheduled in do-able bites, with room for us to have good conversations.
This is my thought. I mainly want CTG for the Bible portion.

Cyndy